Sin-Sot, With A Twist.

electrozebra

Youre in Thailand, pay the sinsod.

Give her 100k, which is the going rate.

It's not the going rate where I live.

Normal village price for a Thai man marrying a Thai girl, (16-22) is 40,000bt

Why should dual pricing apply with regards to weddings?

Sin sot is strictly a Thai thing.

Don't pay!

That must be one extremely ugly woman.

Pay the sinsod you cheap bastards.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am back. Back from the hospital and I have changed my mind. Now I want nothing to do with the mother for the forseeable future..

When Pran had the latest discussions with mother, I knew Pran had been taken to the hospital but I thought it was only stress related to the problems with mother and I expected her to be out soon.

When Pran phoned and told me she was in a 6 bed ward and had no visitors whatsoever while all those around her had family, I got in the car and went there. And that is where I have been for a few days.

It appears mother did not like the proposals Pran was offering one little bit. The discussion got heated and when Pran said she would not stop seeing me, this enraged her mother and mother physically assaulted her daughter, dragged her from the sofa and threw her out of the house. Mother told her to never come back either. I knew nothing of this until I went to the hospital and saw the bruise on Pran's face and the scratch marks on her arms where the fingernails had dug in as mother dragged Pran off the sofa and threw her out of the house. A neighbour took Pran to the hospital. She was treated for her injuries and also for stress. My understanding now is that the stress caused a flare up of an ailment related to her stomach - something to do with ulcer treatment and excess acid. Cameras were put down her throat. She was given 6 doses of morphine and is on medication for ulcers and excess stomach acid and is on meds to help her sleep. Also on a diet for the next few weeks with no alcohol, no pepsi / coke, nothing spicy and a range of other foods and drinks until the stomach problem settles down.

Not one member of the family, apart from her son, has been in touch with her since the incident. Not even a phone call.

This is crazy. It is all about 'face' for the mother. With one Aunty and one neighbour especially, continuously stirring the sh*t. The neighbour brags about her house and land her Farang husband has bought her and all manner of other comments. The Aunty stirring it all the time with comments about free sex with Pran and why I rent a house. Why I will not pay a large sum of money to marry Pran, buy her a house and land too. Yet that is not what Pran wants. She is happy.

I refuse to be forced into that situation of giving money over. The money I give, I give willingly and it is put to good use. There is now 12 Rai of land that is productive whereas it was doing nothing before. That and the fact Pran is now working has cut my expenditure right down. It is called making for the future. If the family are not happy with that, stuff them.

Its thai tradition to pay sinsod, what makes you so special that you don't have too?

if you think 250k baht is alot of money, you best not get married, that is just the tip of the fuc_king iceburg no matter where you are on Earth.

Its quite common for those who have been Had Over regarding Sin Sod to become Sycophantic to Thai Traditions that were never forced on a Ferang 35 years ago..The spread of Bar Girls {perhaps Spread is a bit non P.C.} has made it a Sign of Stupidity, that round some Ferangs neck.So now they defend it.:D

I havent been had over as you call it....

Sin Sod has been around a lot longer than 35 years in Thai culture. The only change has been in the amounts paid....Since Western guys have been marrying Thai girls the expectations have risen as to what constitutes a fair amount and what happens to it after the marriage.

I am back. Back from the hospital and I have changed my mind. Now I want nothing to do with the mother for the forseeable future..

When Pran had the latest discussions with mother, I knew Pran had been taken to the hospital but I thought it was only stress related to the problems with mother and I expected her to be out soon.

When Pran phoned and told me she was in a 6 bed ward and had no visitors whatsoever while all those around her had family, I got in the car and went there. And that is where I have been for a few days.

It appears mother did not like the proposals Pran was offering one little bit. The discussion got heated and when Pran said she would not stop seeing me, this enraged her mother and mother physically assaulted her daughter, dragged her from the sofa and threw her out of the house. Mother told her to never come back either. I knew nothing of this until I went to the hospital and saw the bruise on Pran's face and the scratch marks on her arms where the fingernails had dug in as mother dragged Pran off the sofa and threw her out of the house. A neighbour took Pran to the hospital. She was treated for her injuries and also for stress. My understanding now is that the stress caused a flare up of an ailment related to her stomach - something to do with ulcer treatment and excess acid. Cameras were put down her throat. She was given 6 doses of morphine and is on medication for ulcers and excess stomach acid and is on meds to help her sleep. Also on a diet for the next few weeks with no alcohol, no pepsi / coke, nothing spicy and a range of other foods and drinks until the stomach problem settles down.

Not one member of the family, apart from her son, has been in touch with her since the incident. Not even a phone call.

This is crazy. It is all about 'face' for the mother. With one Aunty and one neighbour especially, continuously stirring the sh*t. The neighbour brags about her house and land her Farang husband has bought her and all manner of other comments. The Aunty stirring it all the time with comments about free sex with Pran and why I rent a house. Why I will not pay a large sum of money to marry Pran, buy her a house and land too. Yet that is not what Pran wants. She is happy.

I refuse to be forced into that situation of giving money over. The money I give, I give willingly and it is put to good use. There is now 12 Rai of land that is productive whereas it was doing nothing before. That and the fact Pran is now working has cut my expenditure right down. It is called making for the future. If the family are not happy with that, stuff them.

Its thai tradition to pay sinsod, what makes you so special that you don't have too?

if you think 250k baht is alot of money, you best not get married, that is just the tip of the fuc_king iceburg no matter where you are on Earth.

You are wrong :D, Thais know and don't pay sinsod for divorced, kids in tow ladies BUT some farangs like to hand over cash just to make themselves feel good and make an impression of l am a rich dude. And after that the hands will be out again for cash cos they think the ''millionaire'' is a plonker. :rolleyes:

Its quite common for those who have been Had Over regarding Sin Sod to become Sycophantic to Thai Traditions that were never forced on a Ferang 35 years ago..The spread of Bar Girls {perhaps Spread is a bit non P.C.} has made it a Sign of Stupidity, that round some Ferangs neck.So now they defend it.:D

Sin Sod has been around a lot longer than 35 years in Thai culture. The only change has been in the amounts paid....Since Western guys have been marrying Thai girls the expectations have risen as to what constitutes a fair amount and what happens to it after the marriage.

Her Mommy tell you that,or Auntie, when will they ever learn.:D :D :D

BUT NOT FOR DIVORCED LADIES WITH KIDS. :rolleyes: Sorry about the big print.

By the way, Sin Sod was introduced here by Immigrants, who now own te place.:annoyed:

Wrong

Prove it, who changed the Name from Siam to Thailand, not Etnic Thai.:D

History lesson.:lol: :lol:

Field Marshal Plaek Pibulsongkram an ethnic Thai changed Siam to Thailand 24 June 1939 and again from 8 September 1945 when the title of the office changed from "Prime Minister of Siam" to "Prime Minister of Thailand" in 1945 it was then permanently renamed from Siam to Thailand on 20 July 1949.

By the way, Sin Sod was introduced here by Immigrants, who now own te place.:annoyed:

Wrong

Prove it, who changed the Name from Siam to Thailand, not Etnic Thai.:D

History lesson.:lol: :lol:

Field Marshal Plaek Pibulsongkram an ethnic Thai changed Siam to Thailand 24 June 1939 and again from 8 September 1945 when the title of the office changed from "Prime Minister of Siam" to "Prime Minister of Thailand" in 1945 it was then permanently renamed from Siam to Thailand on 20 July 1949.

Here's one for You.The Dictator was the Son of a Cantonese immigrant ,so if you call a Donkey born in a Stable a Racehorse, yes hes Thai, but hardly ethnic .:D

This is a joke,. Right? :rolleyes:

I don't think it's a joke because I went through the same thing, but mine was just 100k. So each time I caught my wife ( ex ) with another guy, she would say it was because I refused to pay the 100k to her mother and brother.

Just buy her Mum 2-3 baht of gold and tell her there's more of that coming in the future when you will be better off...I am sure she will agree..

I was conned into paying 2,000 a month for more than three years to the old bag with the promise that everything was going to be okay. In the end, my ex denied they ever made that promise to me and insisted I pay the initial 100k.

Sorry to disappoint.....I have personally seen a Sin sod paid by a Thai for a previously married lady with kids...albiet it wasnt a great amount.

And your experience of Thailand and its culture is?? :)

Edited by gburns57au

Sorry to disappoint.....I have personally seen a Sin sod paid by a Thai for a previously married lady with kids...albiet it wasnt a great amount.

Yep it does happen,

my g/f sister re-married this january.........with one kid, sin sot paid by her new man (thai), 80.000bht

You are wrong :D, Thais know and don't pay sinsod for divorced, kids in tow ladies BUT some farangs like to hand over cash just to make themselves feel good and make an impression of l am a rich dude. And after that the hands will be out again for cash cos they think the ''millionaire'' is a plonker. :rolleyes:

Actually you're wrong, Thais pay sinsod, then the money is returned after the wedding if the parents like the groom. You only have to pay non refundable sinsod if the family does not like or trust you.

sinsod is more of a test to see if you will be able to provide for the bride and take care of her.

Just buy her Mum 2-3 baht of gold and tell her there's more of that coming in the future when you will be better off...I am sure she will agree..

I was conned into paying 2,000 a month for more than three years to the old bag with the promise that everything was going to be okay. In the end, my ex denied they ever made that promise to me and insisted I pay the initial 100k.

So you guys would just leave your parents back home without any financial help huh?

2000 baht is nothing.

And your experience of Thailand and its culture is?? :)

Possibly more than Most, My Family has traded with Thailand for 2 Generations.,and i personally for 45 Years,but not in the Family Business. Perhaps you Sir are amongst the Lucky Ones, i admire your resolve in defending a Lost Cause, but as the posters here claim in general, its just a Hand Out to Pimping Old Folks, and rather nasty relations. Ive been Married with 2 Kids for over30 Years, and can honestly say before Marrying a Whore became the Fasion, the Family never mentioned it to a respectable Ferang.Those are my Findings and if they offend its not the intention.

:jap: .

Possibly more than Most, My Family has traded with Thailand for 2 Generations.,and i personally for 45 Years,but not in the Family Business. Perhaps you Sir are amongst the Lucky Ones, i admire your resolve in defending a Lost Cause, but as the posters here claim in general, its just a Hand Out to Pimping Old Folks, and rather nasty relations. Ive been Married with 2 Kids for over30 Years, and can honestly say before Marrying a Whore became the Fasion, the Family never mentioned it to a respectable Ferang.Those are my Findings and if they offend its not the intention.

How could this offend anyone? ;)

So you guys would just leave your parents back home without any financial help huh?

2000 baht is nothing.

Are they your parents ? No

Are they your wife's responsibility ? Yes

Would i help if i see a real problem not those made up ones ? Yes

But if you don't let your wife work so she has no source of income then yes its your problem and because they see the money comes from you often the other relatives will stop paying and every time mysterious problems pop up with requests for extra money.

I been in one of those kind of relations. Thank god my current wife works for a living and pays her share in our expenses and pays for her family an amount she sees fit.

I never paid a dime of sin sod and i would never do it unless i was 30 years older then my wife look like i could act in a horror movie without make up. Then yes sin sod is a good compensation for the wife who stays with a guy like that. :D

The OP might want to listen to Rob :)

Some times we foreigners need to learn from the locals.

How much sin sod would a Thai man pay for a divorced thai woman with children from a previous marriage? :rolleyes:

OOPs..I am guilty of using that term but I certainly didnt mean any disrespect, so sorry if it ofended. :(

Calling someone 'second hand goods' and you didn't mean any disrespect, did you mean it as a compliment? And you didn't offend me, but you probably offended the more intelligent of the antipodean folks on this forum.

I do not like the word second hand but if people are now dealing with paying money for a product that in this case is a human then i guess it is easy to compare humans to being a product that is not new but the asking price is. BR

The OP might want to listen to Rob :)

Some times we foreigners need to learn from the locals.

How much sin sod would a Thai man pay for a divorced thai woman with children from a previous marriage? :rolleyes:

In the end its not only about the locals and stuff. Its also are you happy doing it the way you do it. I would not like it one bit, but i like independent girls. Other guys might like a girl that is financially dependent and can be controlled that way.

But i posted earlier that its now up to the girl.. if she chooses for the guy she looses her family. The guy wont pay, the mom wont give up.. so now the girl has to make a choice. The guy too are principles worth enough to maybe loose the girl.

I might be harsh with not wanting to pay sin sod but i would not get involved too much without knowing about it. Because things change once your emotionally attached to a girl.

Can this story be real?? this man already pay 250k baht for helping the busimess and then wanting again the next big prize for sinsot..wow why else would these thais call us the white buffalo

The price he already given some US$ about $8000 is good to buy second hand car in most countrys

Many poster say this girl secondhand if then she must hAVE FERRARI badge on the bonnet :lol:

I think Thaialnd have more many girl than even sexond hand car so if he buy this one he to expect many time at mechanic and paying all the high service and mantenance fee every year until he run out of money.

At least with the car you can sell again and get some money back ;)

Actually you're wrong, Thais pay sinsod, then the money is returned after the wedding if the parents like the groom. You only have to pay non refundable sinsod if the family does not like or trust you.

sinsod is more of a test to see if you will be able to provide for the bride and take care of her.

I am right, of course money is put on the table for tradition sake but the money is given back same day because she has been married before. Many parents put the money down for ''show'' to the guests/village on the day. :)

Many parents put the money down for ''show'' to the guests/village on the day. :)

What is this 'for show' nonsense? Do they think they're kidding the rest of the village by displaying some dosh? If it's just a ritual, then they might as well display that fake 'Bank of Heaven' money that I've seen in Oriental stores in the UK. These sinsod threads are a joke.

Many parents put the money down for ''show'' to the guests/village on the day. :)

What is this 'for show' nonsense? Do they think they're kidding the rest of the village by displaying some dosh? If it's just a ritual, then they might as well display that fake 'Bank of Heaven' money that I've seen in Oriental stores in the UK. These sinsod threads are a joke.

Bank of Heaven and Hell money is for dead people and is burnt as an offering . It is a Chinese tradition and has to with showing reverence to your ancestors . post-100087-0-33453300-1306740212_thumb.

post-100087-0-78023500-1306740234_thumb.

OOPs..I am guilty of using that term but I certainly didnt mean any disrespect, so sorry if it ofended. :(

Calling someone 'second hand goods' and you didn't mean any disrespect, did you mean it as a compliment? And you didn't offend me, but you probably offended the more intelligent of the antipodean folks on this forum.

I do not like the word second hand but if people are now dealing with paying money for a product that in this case is a human then i guess it is easy to compare humans to being a product that is not new but the asking price is. BR

This was an Aussie thing.....it doesnt involve paying money for a human, It refers in general to any woman who is divorced with kids or an unmarried mother....also referred to as "Spoiled Goods" in some cases.

Edited by gburns57au

That explains your cynical approach to the issue at hand..... :jap:

Bank of Heaven and Hell money is for dead people and is burnt as an offering . It is a Chinese tradition and has to with showing reverence to your ancestors . post-100087-0-33453300-1306740212_thumb.

post-100087-0-78023500-1306740234_thumb.

Dont bother pointing out any Chinese Influence, the Conned are Happy to live in ignorace, believing what the Family told them..My Ozzy Chum makes us Smile with his "My Brother Said", impression of his Wife. Interesting Pics, ive seen similar at a local Chin Cemetry.:D

Do you realise you've used antipodean and intelligent in the same sentence? :D Nope, no disrespect and quite a common term down under. It is neither a compliment nor disrepectful, it's just a common term used. I don't think you would find many of us would bat an eyelid at it.

But then again, we are a weird mob.

Yes I did, do you ever listen to Samran, although some might argue his Thai roots are more prevalent and Burnsie in the immigration forum, always on the button with his responses, although I believe he may no longer be responding in there.

However there are other common terms used through out the world, that are highly disrespectful, but hey they are just common words, like queer, nigger, whore, but hey why should we bat an eye lid regarding them?

What do you mean 'other common terms highly disrespectful'. I said it wasn't a disrespectful term in australia, and it isn't. I didn't mention the rest of the world. I've even heard women describe themselves as such. By the way, we also use the term 'queer' and that also isn't a disrespectful term here, unless you follow it with the c word.

I suppose I'm just a dopey bastard but we aren't so sensitive here.

Sin sod for the second time around and also with child? Not a hope in hell.