Visa For Baby Nonthai?

Baby born in Mars this year, 2 months old.

French Passport, wife is not Thai.

I am myself on Work Visa Non-B Extension and want to be prepared as I might go on Vacation outside Thailand soon.

Was told that the Baby does not need any Visa (even with French Passport) and can enter into Thailand at any time just by presenting passport and Birth Certificate (born in Thailand but from foreigner parents so can not get Thai nationality).

Seems strange that a foreigner passport (even a baby) can enter in Thailand without any Visa...

Is that forever due to the fact of been born in Thailand or is it just applicable for babies?

technically, all that is happens is that there is no penalty for their overstay, and as such, people in your situation can take advantage of it.

However, the convention at many multinational firms is simply to organise a non-immigrant visa when the child makes their first trip outside of Thailand. Upon return, this visa can be extended based on the parents legal status in Thailand (ie for work).

The child needs a visa of it's own. As said, there is however no overstay for a child under 15.

When leaving the country, you simply show the birth certificate. This explains why there are no entry details of the child.

So birth certificate kind of replace Visa and Multiple re-entry stamp?

Might try to make a visa at a later date as you specified, but when Immigration Captain of my local office says no, it is usually better not to pursue matters further...

Just want to make sure 100% beforehand: it is not because Captain says no, that it is 100% correct either.

Don't want to be stuck at immigration on my return by an zealous officer stating: no Visa, baby stays outside... :)

Edited by CantSpell

Please read again - the Child will need a visa or enter as visa exempt on return. But for exit the birth certificate proves no visa was required as entered the country from inside Thailand. The only difference with child after re-entry is that they can overstay without a fine so would not need to make visa runs or obtain extensions of stay if they (parents) so desired.

So birth certificate kind of replace Visa and Multiple re-entry stamp?

No. It does not. All the birth certificate does it tell immigration on departure that the child was born in Thailand, and as such, would not have an 'entry' stamp in the passport. Otherwise they will ask 'how did this child enter Thailand?'.

So....

when the child returns, it will need a visa, just like you. Birth on Thai soil does not automatically give any special rights.

But...

as others have said, if the child does not get a non-immigrant visa, and overstays on the 30 day entry, there is no penalty for this overstay so long as the child is under 15 years of age.

Sorry, re-read few times previous posts but sounds like technical language :)

Fully understand that birth exempt the baby for a stamp upon exiting the country.

Understand for overstay if the baby never goes out...

What is still a little bit a grey area for me is the re-entry point.

the Child will need a visa or enter as visa exempt on return.

Local Immigration office sent my staff back stating the child doesn't need Visa, that is where I am confused: "Out of Thailand: passport + birth certificate, back in = passport + birth certificate"

I am not familiar with the notion of Visa Exempt on return: could you explain a little pls? Is that something I have to ask local immigration office?

Being born in Thailand simply doesn't qualify the child for entry into Thailand without a normal visa. You will have to get a visa for the child.

A visa exempt entry is for nationals of certain countries, like France. to promote tourism they don't need a visa provided their stay is not longer than 30 days.

Ok, Thanks, It's clear.

Could use the 30 days and overstay trick if needed but to make it fully legal, I have to get baby a yearly Visa like mine...

Exactly what I thought until immigration office told me NO......

Guess it is back to Immi Office trying to explain again nicely that YES :)

Another half day of work going to waste but we will get there eventually hehe.

Thanks again for the clarifications.

No need to go back to immigration. Just apply for the visa for your child when abroad and when the time is there apply for an extension for your child every year as your dependent.

Proof of your non-B extension, the birth certificate and a letter from your employer should be enough to obtain a non-O for the child.