Thai Wedding Speech

Eastender

Hi,

I’m hoping some of you nice kind people can help me with a forth coming wedding speech. I’ve done the legal bit of the wedding- signing, but will be going out to T’land again over Christmas for the ceremony which is on Dec 31st at her parent’s house in a village in Nakhon Sawan.

I speak very basic Thai, and I think my pronunciation and intonation is fairly good, but I need some real help with a speech. I can’t read Thai script so please reply with roman, if you give the literal translation I can look up each word to find the tone.

Basically, I want to say thanks to certain people, and perhaps a little more. I don’t want to use language which is beyond my level and give a false impression of how much (little) I know.

What I want to say;

Thanks to;

Her parents, sisters, brother, and cousins for helping. My parents for coming a long way. I also want to say something about my wife coming to England in Jan (she recently got her visa) and make it light hearted. OK, I’ve been told I’ll be pissed by then and Thais don’t listen to speeches – but I’d like to have something prepared.

1) So, how do I say (simply) ‘I would like to thank kuun x’

Should I look at kuun x and say ‘korp kuun krap kuun x’ or what? Should I address everyone and say something more elaborate?

2) And, how do I say (simply) ‘I would like to thank kuun x for ……………….’

e.g for coming / for driving / for being best man (her cousin) / for taking care of my parents

3) And how should I thank my parents (in Thai) for coming a long way?

4) My wife suggested a line, ‘pom kit waa panraya ja bit huu tuk wan’ – I hope I’ve remembered it correctly – should mean ‘I think my wife will nag me every day’ – (literally bend my ear)? There was more I’ve forgotten, about stopping me going out for fun. Any other apt lines you can think of?

5) Should I make a toast? If so to whom, and say what?

6) I often think that using ‘Pom’ will help others understand what I’m trying to say, even though it’s not natural for a native speaker – do you agree?

If you can help with the points above I’ll write a draft version and put it back up here. Also you can come along and watch me make a fool of myself.

Thanks all,

Robin

I made the same suggestion to my wife in exactly the same circumstances you will find youself in, and she laughed at me and said it wasn't necessary, so I left it at that.

As the evening unfolded, the food eaten, beer drinking and dancing there really was nowhere for a speech, it would really have been out of place, maybe a wedding in an Issarn Villiage is different though, just my 2 satangs.

I made the same suggestion to my wife in exactly the same circumstances you will find youself in, and she laughed at me and said it wasn't necessary, so I left it at that.

As the evening unfolded, the food eaten, beer drinking and dancing there really was nowhere for a speech, it would really have been out of place, maybe a wedding in an Issarn Villiage is different though, just my 2 satangs.

Better to be prepared for it. In my case no one told me I had to give a speech until my best man during his speech eluded to this. Had to wing one in Thai, but came out OK. This was in Chon Buri

As for item 6, "Pom" is pretty standard use in spoken Thai (pasa glang) but maybe not in your area. The use of "chan" would be too informal and impolite, but again not familiar with useages in that region.

Edited by tywais

If you can help with the points above I’ll write a draft version and put it back up here.
It would be easier if you write a draft version and then we can translate it to you.
5) Should I make a toast? If so to whom, and say what?

You don't need to make a toast to any of your guests. You guests should be the ones who make a toast to you. :o

Thanks all.

OK I will give a short outline of what I want to say below - I'm keeping it short and simple. So please translate into Thai using roman script if you don't mind. As said before - if I can look up the Thai word I can work out the tone. And I'd rather use simple Thai which I may understand, instead of perfect Thai I'm merely reciting.

Any 'cultural' suggestions on what should be included / omitted would also be apreciated.

"I hope you are all having a good day.

I would like to thank Mr and Mrs Sungwanthorn for letting me marry their daughter.

I would also like to thank Korn's sisters and family for helping, and Korn's cousin Raw for being best man.

And thankyou to my friends and family for coming a very long way to be with us.

I hope Korn is happy in England. My family and friends will look after her there. And I hope we see you all again in Thailand soon, maybe next time we will have some children.

Thank you all for your gifts. (meaning here money which I presume will be given in envelopes) and thankyou for coming."

OK - thanks in advance with the translation - I'm sure there'll be further questions.

Robin.

Thanks all.

Phom whang wa took knon ja sa bai dee .....lae  mee  wan thee dee

I would like to thank Mr and Mrs Sungwanthorn for letting me marry their daughter.

phom yak ja khob khoon , knun poh ,khun mae  khong (your missus's name) thee ar noo yat hai phom taeng ngan  kub ther

I would also like to thank Korn's sisters and family for helping, and Korn's cousin Raw for being best man.

khob khoon  peeh sao  lae krob krua  khong Korn  sum  rhub  kwam chuay leua..lae Yat Yat  khong Korn  tee ma bpen  peun  chao bao

Lae  khor khob khoon peuan peuan lae  krob krau khong phom thee ma raum nai ngan  mong khon som rot

I hope Korn is happy in England.  My family and friends will look after her there.  And I hope we see you all again in Thailand soon, maybe next time we will have some children.

Phom whang wa Korn  ja mee  kwam sook thee pra thet Ung Grit

Thank you all for your gifts.  (meaning here money which I presume will be given in envelopes)  and thankyou for coming."

sud thay nee .. khob khoon took than  sum rub khong kwan

khob khun took khon mak mak krub

• Like 1

Thanks Bambina - appreciate it.

I need to understand each word to look it up and find the tone, so could anyone please help give a literal word for word translation where I have put words in green.

Phom whang wa took knon ja sa bai dee .....lae  mee wan thee dee

phom yak ja khob khoon , knun poh ,khun mae  khong (your missus's name) thee ar noo yat hai phom taeng ngan  kub ther

thee ar noo yat hai phom taeng ngan  kub ther

khob khoon  peeh sao  lae krob krua  khong Korn  sum  rhub  kwam chuay leua..lae Yat Yat  khong Korn  tee ma bpen  peun  chao bao

sum  rhub  kwam chuay leua..lae Yat Yat  khong Korn  tee ma bpen  peun  chao bao

Lae  khor khob khoon peuan peuan lae  krob krau khong phom thee ma raum nai ngan  mong khon som rot

thee ma raum nai ngan  mong khon som rot

I hope Korn is happy in England.  My family and friends will look after her there.  And I hope we see you all again in Thailand soon, maybe next time we will have some children.

And could you add the translation for the 2nd and 3rd sentance.

Thank you all for your gifts.  (meaning here money which I presume will be given in envelopes)  and thankyou for coming."

sud thay nee .. khob khoon took than  sum rub khong kwan khob khun took khon mak mak krub

sud thay nee

Thanks again for any help

thee/ ar noo yat/ hai phom taeng ngan  kub ther
à-nóo-yâat =allow ; permit ; consent ; give agreement or permission

hai = hâi =give ; offer

taeng ngan =dtàeng ngaan = to marry ; to get married

kub =gàp = with

ther =you

sum  rhub / kwam chuay leua/..lae /Yat Yat  khong Korn  tee ma bpen  peun  chao bao

sum rhub =săm-ràp =for

kwam chuay leua=kwaam chûay lĕua =help

lae = and

yat yat =yâat yâat (atually yâat =relatives ; relations ; folks ; kinfolk ; cousin ) .. i used 2 time coz it imply its more than 1 cousin amd sound familiar ..

khong = with

peun chao bao = pêuan jâo bàao =best man

thee/ ma /raum /nai /ngan  mong khon som rot
raum = rûam =to join in

ngan mong khon som rot = ngaan mong-kon sŏm rót = wedding party

sud thay nee

sud thay nee = sòot táai née = finally ; at last ; ultimately ; eventually ; lastly ; in the end

I have other choice... well i will type in THai alphabet and you just cut /past in http://www.thai2english.com/dictionary/ for check how to pronouce again

(i will split the word)

Thanks all.

Phom whang wa took knon ja sa bai dee .....lae  mee  wan thee dee

ผม หวังว่า ทุกคน จะ สบาย ดี และ มี วัน ที่ดี

ผม อยาก ขอขอบคุณ คุณพ่อ คุณแม่ ของ (your missus's name) ที่ อนุญาต ให้ ผม แต่งงาน กับ เธอ

ขอบคุณ Korn และ ญาติ ญาติ ของ Korn ที่ มา เป็น เพื่อนเจ้าบ่าว

** you can  use word " peeh nong " instead "yat yat" maybe  sound better

และ ขอขอบคุณ เพื่อน เพื่อน และ ครอบครัว ของ ผม  ที่ มาร่วม ใน งานมงคลสมรส

ผม หวังว่า Korn  จะ มี ความสุข ที่ ประเทศอังกฤษ

sud thay nee .. khor khob khoon took than  sum rub khong kwan

สุดท้ายนี้ ขอขอบคุณ ทุก ท่าน สำหรับ ของขวัญ

khob khun took khon mak mak krub

ขอบคุณ ทุกคน มาก ครับ

/edit spelling

goshh my head is spinning around :o

Edited by BambinA

Thanka again Bambina.

I'm just thinking how formal it all sounds.

Perhaps I should start with;

"Wan nee pom mee kwarm suk mark, prok waa mee panraya suay mark."

(Is that OK?)

And perhaps I should tease my wife a little.

Pom kit waa tee bra teht angrit Korn ja bpen oun mark.

(I'm trying to say that I think when Korn goes to England I'm worried she may get fat).

Any other suggestions, or light hearted wedding banter is all apreciated.

Robin

Thanka again Bambina. 

I'm just thinking how formal it all sounds.

Perhaps I should start with;

"Wan nee pom mee kwarm suk mark, prok waa mee panraya suay mark."

(Is that OK?)

And perhaps I should tease my wife a little.

Pom kit waa tee bra teht angrit Korn ja bpen oun mark.

(I'm trying to say that I think when Korn goes to England I'm worried she may get fat).

Any other suggestions, or light hearted wedding banter is all apreciated.

Robin

i think its fine .. and actaully no need to be much formal .. and what you wanna add its cute .

when u say like that your guests will be smile and laugh ..(coz its cute and funny) .. so IMHO, i think its good idea :o

You will not be the first called upon to give a speech so you will be lucky if you are even still awake after having to listen to the previous speeches. It takes a sturdy individual to sit through such speeches at a Thai wedding or other similar formal event as there are always a few well placed uncles and phuu yais whose speeches know no end. It sure helps not understanding much Thai so you can occupy your mind with other less somnolent thoughts.

Good luck.

goshh  my head is spinning around :

Hi Bambina,

Thanks a lot, I am getting married in December too and was going to post the same question (different name, though :o ). I will study your reply and maybe ask a few questions to make sure your head keeps spinning !!!

Robin >> Chock Dee !!!!

Cheers,

Mike

goshh  my head is spinning around :

Hi Bambina,

Thanks a lot, I am getting married in December too and was going to post the same question (different name, though :D ). I will study your reply and maybe ask a few questions to make sure your head keeps spinning !!!

Robin >> Chock Dee !!!!

Cheers,

Mike

well ... dont hestitate to ask me then ... actaully im not that good in Thai stuff , but i reckon , Thai TV members would love to help you

and congrats in advance ja :o

• 4 years later...

My wife and I have been invited to attend a friend's wedding in Bangkok (bride & groom both Thai) and to give a speech at the evening reception as one of the VIP's coming from abroad. I expect it will be quite a lavish affair. I expect that the general rule of wedding speeches should apply (short, polite, avoid jokes, remain sober till afterwards). Every attempt I have ever made to speak Thai has resulted in total lack of comprehension or hysterical laughter but I am up for a challenge if anyone can offer something suitably simple, unambiguous, brief and appropriate.

I understand that it is usual to give money in an envelope rather than a gift. Any suggestions as to what level is expected?

Any special dress codes or advice on what not to do, or what is normal or different from a European wedding?

Thanks very much.

This thread is 5 years old - Maybe start a new one so people won't be confused who they are responding to.

Is the Wedding in Bangkok at a Hotel?

If so - A Suit will be appropriate, especially as you are considered a 'VIP' guest - Also note that it's frowned upon for women to wear black dresses to a wedding in Thailand.

Will there be an MC at the wedding? If you are worried about speaking Thai the MC can translate each paragraph for you after you have spoken.

With Regards to money... 2000 baht per couple in a Bangkok hotel, some give less, some more. I think the origins of this tradition were to help cover the costs of the wedding (i.e. cost per head).

Thanks very much, that is very helpful. Yes, the wedding is at a Bangkok hotel. The tip on suitable women's clothes especially helpful as my wife was thinking of wearing a black cocktail dress for the evening. (I suppose this is now an excuse to buy a new one). Ihad expected to wear suit and tie, rather than black tie.

We are looking forward to this occasion which I am sure will be very colourful.. I am not sure if Thai protocol demands anything else other than to be polite and sociable. Now I just have to come up with a suitable phrase in Thai that will not leave fellow guests bewildered or bemused.