Top Speed

If you don’t mind my asking, what is your top speed and your cruising speed on Thai roads? I guess I’m wondering where I fit in the mix of things. I know guys who are pushing speeds of 250 to 300 and I guess I’m wondering how typical that is for riders in Thailand.

First let me say that I am not a red-liner and have no compulsion to see what the top speed of my Ninja 650r is. This is my first big bike and I have put roughly 13000k on it in this first year. I have hit 160 a couple of times chasing friends but never on my own. Road conditions permitting, I feel comfortable between 120 and 130 but my often narrow, twisty upcountry roads with limited visibility don’t allow for that kind of speed much of the time.

Just something I was wondering about as I am relatively new to big bikes, so thanks for any replies. I did think about making this a poll but decided not to in the end.

Edited by villagefarang

As you pointed out I think it depends on the roads one has access to. With the rare exception, most roads in southern Phuket you really can't ride faster than 120. 70-90 is more typical. More than that and you won't have time to dodge the constant criss crossing motorbikes that don't ever seem to check who is coming.

I tend to ride just a bit faster than the average vehicles around me because I would rather direct all my attention to the front, and I slow when I identify threats. This philosophy of riding is endorsed by the California Highway Patrol and I think it can be applied here too. I always ride with brights on in the daytime, and I flash my brights, blap the throttle, and honk regularly. A loud exhaust is a must. Of course occasionally I still get passed by the odd boy racer or bored out sonic.

Just north of Phuket is a stretch of 4 where sustained full speed can be obtained. I have reached 213 on my Ninja 650R. Others have claimed 220. On HWY 44, a once proposed but abandoned land bridge between the Andaman and the Gulf, between Krabi and Surrithani, one can maintain full speed for nearly a full tank of gas. My BMWS1000R, ZX014, and R1 friends pull away from me there at 250-290.

If you are going to speed, the key is location. With virtually no enforcement in Thailand, it's easy to get complacent. I have seen to many sport bikers crash in Phuket. I've ridden all over Thailand but the Thai drivers in Phuket are a breed unto themselves. (Yes, some farang too) For the Phuket guys, get off the island if you want to go fast.

I don't live in The People's Republic of Phuket.

Cruise 130-170 Never or rarely exceed 230.

That is inches per week.

1000 cc motorcycle. Or bike if you're a POM.

What's a POM?

It is either some obscure brand of motorcycle or perhaps an abbreviation for a Proud Overbearing Misanthrope. :D

That is inches per week.

What's a POM?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_names_for_the_British#Pommy

Ok, yeah I know pommy. I was thinking it was an acronym since it was capitalized. It also didn't make sense since we sometimes call motorcycles "bikes" in the states as well, even 1000cc ones.

I honestly believe that there is no such thing as an anonymous forum...information will always be found out about you. Slip-ups by the person themselves or by friends inadvertently revealing & posting personal details, no matter how trivial it may seem to others eg: personal blogs, local forums, IP addresses (even VPN's can be checked) etc. Nothing anonymous here if you look hard enough.

While all that might be true, we are discussing driving habits or trends, not the kind of personal data that can lead to identity theft or could be misconstrued as an invasion of privacy. Anyway, thanks to ScubaBuddha and powderpuff for not succumbing to paranoia and providing relevant answers. Much appreciated. :)

I honestly believe that there is no such thing as an anonymous forum...information will always be found out about you. Slip-ups by the person themselves or by friends inadvertently revealing & posting personal details, no matter how trivial it may seem to others eg: personal blogs, local forums, IP addresses (even VPN's can be checked) etc. Nothing anonymous here if you look hard enough.

So lets speak Hypothetically Garry :whistling:

It never crossed my mind that individuals would be worried about a virtual ticket for writing about something on an anonymous forum. ;) Anyway, thanks ScubaB for a thoughtful response. :)

Well I'm not too worried about anonymity when talking about sport bike riding.

I do get a kick out of the sanctimony of some though. As if big bike riders are somehow less safe or less safety conscious when most of us have undergone actual rider training to achieve a drivers license in their home country, and many of whom have gone on to take intermediate and advanced rider courses. I use the same riding techniques I do at home...allow adequate following distance, leave myself an out, actively scan for threats, maintain my bike, ensure lights are working, obeying street signals, don't overtake where it's unsafe, wear proper safety gear etc etc. We are a gazillion times safer than the average unlicensed Thai with no helmet, flip flops, following 1/2m behind vehicle ahead, chatting on phone, carrying a baby under one arm, no tail light, with under-inflated tires, riding counterflow with a RED headlight (<deleted> by the way!?), doing 130kph on a bike that wasn't designed to go more than 90.

This n00b rider on his wee Ninja 250 usually 'cruises' at 115-125. Bike won't get over 134 with me sitting upright and tops out at 154 fully tucked in.

Those speeds are GPS not speedo.

Not having access to GPS, I have wondered if there is often much difference between what the speedometer and what the GPS says and if it really matters? Are we talking about 5 to 10 percent or perhaps more?

Speedometer tends to read approximately 10% higher than true.

On my Tiger Boxer 250 I cruise at 110-120, top speed I've achieved was 135 but as a newbie to anything bigger than 125cc I wasn't too comfortable at that speed. I'm a bit nesh really.

It never crossed my mind that individuals would be worried about a virtual ticket for writing about something on an anonymous forum. ;) Anyway, thanks ScubaB for a thoughtful response. :)

Well I'm not too worried about anonymity when talking about sport bike riding.

I do get a kick out of the sanctimony of some though. As if big bike riders are somehow less safe or less safety conscious when most of us have undergone actual rider training to achieve a drivers license in their home country, and many of whom have gone on to take intermediate and advanced rider courses. I use the same riding techniques I do at home...allow adequate following distance, leave myself an out, actively scan for threats, maintain my bike, ensure lights are working, obeying street signals, don't overtake where it's unsafe, wear proper safety gear etc etc. We are a gazillion times safer than the average unlicensed Thai with no helmet, flip flops, following 1/2m behind vehicle ahead, chatting on phone, carrying a baby under one arm, no tail light, with under-inflated tires, riding counterflow with a RED headlight (<deleted> by the way!?), doing 130kph on a bike that wasn't designed to go more than 90.

ofcourse , travelling at the same speed you are indeed safer. Not at 260-300 kph :o Thats flatlining not redlining on thai roads :(

Depends on what bike I am riding

Depends on the road

Depends on the traffic

Depends on the weather

Depends on what time it is

Depends on how I feel

Depends on if I am riding in a group

Depends if I have a passanger

Depends on if I know the coppers sit on that road.

So depending on all of them I cruise on any where from 100 klm/h to 220 klm/h

So true

but as the max fine for speeding is 1.000 baht, and all of my official speeding tickets during +8 years full time living in TH and +450k km are 200 baht, keep speeding reports coming.

Keep whatever speed YOU find safe. Personally I usually keep 160 kmh cruise speed in car, but usually cruise no more than 130 kmh riding bike. I have tryed cruising 180kmh but its not safe or comfortable with all the hard brakings. Top speed is whatever road allows and bike is capable of, but its hard to find more than 10 km safe roads in TH.

As you pointed out I think it depends on the roads one has access to. With the rare exception, most roads in southern Phuket you really can't ride faster than 120. 70-90 is more typical. More than that and you won't have time to dodge the constant criss crossing motorbikes that don't ever seem to check who is coming.

I tend to ride just a bit faster than the average vehicles around me because I would rather direct all my attention to the front, and I slow when I identify threats. This philosophy of riding is endorsed by the California Highway Patrol and I think it can be applied here too. I always ride with brights on in the daytime, and I flash my brights, blap the throttle, and honk regularly. A loud exhaust is a must. Of course occasionally I still get passed by the odd boy racer or bored out sonic.

Just north of Phuket is a stretch of 4 where sustained full speed can be obtained. I have reached 213 on my Ninja 650R. Others have claimed 220. On HWY 44, a once proposed but abandoned land bridge between the Andaman and the Gulf, between Krabi and Surrithani, one can maintain full speed for nearly a full tank of gas. My BMWS1000R, ZX014, and R1 friends pull away from me there at 250-290.

If you are going to speed, the key is location. With virtually no enforcement in Thailand, it's easy to get complacent. I have seen to many sport bikers crash in Phuket. I've ridden all over Thailand but the Thai drivers in Phuket are a breed unto themselves. (Yes, some farang too) For the Phuket guys, get off the island if you want to go fast.

Highway 4 a few clicks north of Sarasin bridge direction Surat is the only place in Phuket/PhangNha I have been caught by laser. 161 kmh as usual. Usually I dont shift to 5th or 6th there to blow clean the engine from slow Phuket.

While there is no substitute for first person experience it is nonetheless helpful to read others trip reports and/or comments to get an idea of how they ride. As much as I might enjoy a cup of coffee and conversation with some contributors to the bike forum, it would be beyond silly for me to attempt to ride with them.

I guess I am a fan of small well matched groups or riding alone, as being safer than the alternative. Forums like this can be part of the learning curve and I’m trying to get an idea how people ride. Everything Scuba says makes a lot of sense and now I see a few others have added helpful insight. Where I ride there are no speed traps. They make much more money off the helmet checks and the backroad smuggling checkpoints.

That is inches per week.

What's a POM?

Puffy doesn't like POM's. ( English ) :D

So true

but as the max fine for speeding is 1.000 baht, and all of my official speeding tickets during +8 years full time living in TH and +450k km are 200 baht, keep speeding reports coming.

Keep whatever speed YOU find safe. Personally I usually keep 160 kmh cruise speed in car, but usually cruise no more than 130 kmh riding bike. I have tryed cruising 180kmh but its not safe or comfortable with all the hard brakings. Top speed is whatever road allows and bike is capable of, but its hard to find more than 10 km safe roads in TH.

I actually drive the truck ten to twenty kilometers slower than the bike. The Vigo is comfortable but a bit mushy in the corners.

I think Scubabudda has the same perspective as I do although his bike may go faster. I have had mine fury at 185 or a little faster of course that is on the speedo not GPS. So much of it depends on were you are and what time of day and what the traffic is like.

I think some of the roads I am on some 60 may be quick enough. I also like going just a little faster than the ones in front so I don't have to worry about them but not so fast I can't avoid the hazards as the come up. But then the Fury is more for cruising and I am just as Happy at 80 as I am 180.

Mostly 120-140 for cruising, but again depends on roads and whether i have a pillion. I like to ride faster when I'm on my own. Right now though I am waiting for my new frame, forks, wheel, tank, pipes, bars, risers, etc, etc to arrive from USA to get my baby back on the road. as one of the fractures in my wrist is still not healed, I can't ride it anyway.

The main enemy of motorcycles are dogs It takes some discipline to keep your line and not to swerve to try to avoid hitting the animal. Usually they are able to get out of the way as long as you keep to a straight line. If you try to swerve and end up hitting the dog, you are very likely to go down. A friend of mine lost a LOT of skin when he swerved to avoid a chicken and hit it anyways.

How far would you roll/slide if you go down at 150 KPH or faster? I don't want to find out. I am quite happy to ride at 60 to 70 KPH on decent country roads.