Multiple-Entry Non-Immigrant (Marriage) Visa In Kuala Lumpur

Just got back from a visa run to KL today (26 May 2011). Details below for anyone who wants information about going about it.

Transportation

AirAsia Chiang Mai-Kuala Lumpur direct then AirAsia Skybus from the Low Cost Carrier (LCC) Terminal to KL Sentral Station.

Accommodation

Stayed right accross for KL Sentral at My Hotel (Sentral) for 108 MYR per night. A clean, safe budget hotel with free wifi LCD TV (BBC, Star Movies, ESPN), good air con, hot shower, no breakfast. Later I discovered that there is another branch (Brickfields) around the corner and behind YMCA that was advertising a promotion of 98 MYR per night. If you are on a really tight budget, check out De Sentral Hotel near the monorail station which advertises 60 MYR for a single room. KL YMCA has single rooms for 98 MYR including a basic set breakfast but is often booked out.

Currency Exchange

There are some small money changer shops on the main floor of KL Sentral Station and also opposite KL Sentral near the KL Monorail station. They gave better rates than CM Aiport, LCC and the banks in KL Sentral.

Program

Monday

1300 Arrived KL LCC Terminal

1500 Arrived KL Sentral Station

1530 Checked into hotel

Tuesday

0800 Caught train from KL Sentral Station to Ampang Park Station (Gombak/Putra Terminal Line)

0815 Arrived Ampang Park Station. Walked east (away from Petronas Twin Towers and towards the rising sun) along Jalan Ampang

0830 Arrived at Thai Embassy. Waited in line at the gate. When gate opened, went in and lined up at the door to the Consul Section.

0930 Doors opened and I got queue number 6.

1000 Submitted my documents, paid the money and left embassy.

1030 Walked back to Ampang Park Station and caught the train one stop in the return direction to KLCC. Spent rest of the day in Suria Mall (Petronas Towers).

Wednesday

1400 Caught train back to embassy.

1430 Collected passport

Thursday

0400 Checked out of hotel

0430 Caught AirAsia Skybus from Sentral

0545 Arrived LCCT

0700 Departed for Chiang Mai

Expenses

Meals, accommodation and transportation in KL 4,500 THB

AirAsia tickets CM-KL return 7,000 THB

Visa fee 5400 THB

Documents Submitted

Passport

Visa application with photo attached

Photocopy of first page of passport

Photocopy of wife's id card signed by her

Photocopy of wife's house registration signed by her

Photocopy of marriage certificate signed by both of us

Photocopy of certified translation of marriage certificate

Photocopy of daughter's birth certificate

Letter from my wife requesting visa for me

Photocopy of my bank book showing balance of 100,000 THB

Documents which I brought along but were not requested

Original marriage certificate

Certified translation of marriage certificate

Daughter's birth certificate

Bank book

Notes

Check the embassy website for public holidays as the embassy will be closed for all Thai and Malaysian holidays.

If everything is in order when you submit your application, you will see the staff tick the box on your application indicating granting of the visa then you will need to pay the fee immediately. Make sure you have the cash on you, 550 MYR.

Application Form

You can download the application form from the embassy website or collect one at the gate.

Below is what I filled in for some of the key sections on the application form.

Type of Travel Document: Passport

Current Address: (current address in my home country)

Permanent Address: (same as above)

Date of Arrival in Thailand: (the date I was planning to return to Thailand)

Duration of Proposed Stay: 90 days

Countries for which travel document is valid: (left blank)

Name and Address of Local Guarantor: (left blank)

Name and Address of Guarantor in Thailand: (own name and address)

Great break down of facts

If somebody likes to make the same visa more near, he can go to Mukdahan (Savannakhet - Lao) too!

Edited by Somrak

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there and good evening, an excellent breakdown of costs and a summary i will try and use to the letter.I have a few questions if its possible you could answer, or anyone else who has a clue. Many thanks in advance......

Im on a multiple entry tourist visa at the moment, due my second visa run in early August, Ive been married for 4 months when this date will come around, we live together and have been together over a year. Is ths ok and will get me a non imm o visa. I have money and all the other bits and bobs.

Do I need the paperwork for her parents home?

Does the missus have to come or are you ok alone with all paper work? (Would prefer to do it on a budget.)

Do the embassy staff have enough English to help someone with hardly any spoken Thai language skills?

Where the devil can I download an application form? The Kuala Lumpur embassy sites always seem to be down? Any alternatives.

Thank you again I hope its not too many questons and someone can clue me up.

Regards

Darren

Edited by jambco984

How much money do you have? If you can meet the 40k monthly income or 400k in Thai bank requirement there is no need to visit any Consulate as you can convert to non immigrant visa entry at Immigration for 2k and then extend for one year for 1.9k. If unable to do that but have 100k in an account somewhere you can obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa from KL (as it seems you are checking) for about 5k (plus overnight trip) that only requires a departure/return every 90 days. For that the marriage certificate/wife ID card/wife home register copies signed/dated by her is the normal requirement at Embassy (plus photos and filling out local form). It should only take five minutes to fill out the form so would not worry about doing early.

How much money do you have? If you can meet the 40k monthly income or 400k in Thai bank requirement there is no need to visit any Consulate as you can convert to non immigrant visa entry at Immigration for 2k and then extend for one year for 1.9k. If unable to do that but have 100k in an account somewhere you can obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa from KL (as it seems you are checking) for about 5k (plus overnight trip) that only requires a departure/return every 90 days. For that the marriage certificate/wife ID card/wife home register copies signed/dated by her is the normal requirement at Embassy (plus photos and filling out local form). It should only take five minutes to fill out the form so would not worry about doing early.

I have enough in Thailand for the 100k option, I can make about 40k legally afterwards when I can teach as offered a job just need to get all my docs sorted first, if the job falls through I will still have a year on my visa and on my terms and not screwed by a possibly clueless school, I dont know them well enough to fully trust yet.....

By having 100k in an account somewhere does that mean if its not possible for me to find a bank (tourist visa) will the money in the missus account be ok? Or can I show an account in the UK with £2200 in it?

Filling the form in at the Embassy sounds good to me, just over analzye and worry too much, cant be doing with many messing around trips out of the country.

Thanks for your help.

Just thinking about the bank account situation. I dont have a bank book in the UK, i only have a bank card. I wont be able to get them to send me a statement and if they did it would probably be too late. Is an internet banking print out ok??

Any suggestions on other plans of action if internet banking is a bit iffy, surely every year if i wanted to i could change my records to read i have funds in the bank even if i possibly didnt?

Is puttng money into the missus account ok or would that just look like her money, even though were married things seem to work in mysterious ways.

My head hurts.

Thank you for your suggestions, all are digested and taken onboard and 100% apreciated.

Edited by jambco984

Money should be in your name. KL has reportedly accepted a person buying travelers type checks as proof so they do try to accommodate anyone with such funds. In worst case a single entry visa would be issued without need for 100k.

• 1 month later...

Is the "100k Baht in an account somewhere" qualification for Multi non O at KL consulate only good if I am married to a Thai? Or would that be ok for over 50 age visiting fiance?

Only good if you are married.

If somebody likes to make the same visa more near, he can go to Mukdahan (Savannakhet - Lao) too!

So there's a Thai Embassy in Savannakhet issuing multi entry non-o visa's right?

It is a consulate in Savannakhet but yes they do issue multi entry o for being married to a Thai lady.

So there's a Thai Embassy in Savannakhet issuing multi entry non-o visa's right?

It is a consulate in Savannakhet but yes they do issue multi entry o for being married to a Thai lady.

Thanks for the info.

I will add that I am really surprised to read this as from all the info I have read on TV it is that KL is the only place in the region issuing multi entry non-o's.

Can anyone add a report on getting one in Suvannakhet and the conditions required?

• 1 month later...

I just came back from KL on Friday. I followed the OPs steps almost exactly and had no problem at all getting a multi entry "O" based on marriage

The stuff I used:

Application with 2 photos (they gave one back)

Passport

Copy Passport signed by me

Copy Wife's ID card signed by her

Copy Wife's house registration signed by her

2 letters from wife requesting visa be approved. One in English and one in Thai (they kept both).

Copy of K Bank bank book updated about 5 days prior to my embassy visit showing 101,000 THB (In a Thai bank obviously) and signed by me.

Copy of marriage licence and copy of marriage certificate signed by both of us. In my case this/these are 2 separate documents from Oregon, USA (they kept both)

550 Ringgit which they collected immediately.

Some pointers I will offer: First, the original poster's story/advice is still spot on as of September 22 2011 when I picked up my visa. The only thing I will ad is that there is a huge construction project adjacent to KL Sentral about 1 block in size right where the airport shuttle buses drop you off and pick you up. In fact the bus stop is a tunnel. As the bus approaches the terminal, KL Sentral is on your left and a temporary metal wall from floor to ceiling is on your right. It made it hard for me to get my bearings. Hotel Sentral (which is where I stayed) is on the other side of the construction. They have built a decent covered sidewalk that skirts around the construction to get you to all points on the other side however it is on your RIGHT side as the bus drives up or the other side of the street from KL Sentral. I didn't even see a sidewalk over there for about an hour as the bus drop off/pick up point is pretty chaotic. Its hard to explain, and now I know why no one could tell me how to get to the Hotel Sentral. They all tried but it is hard to explain. Once you see the walk around its easy.

Second, at the Thai embassy there was a white couple in front of me with 2 visa applications. They had some problem with their paperwork and were sent away. I don't know what they wanted or what was wrong but it seemed to me that if your paperwork has a clear defect they WILL NOT accept the visa fee, or any paperwork. The point here is that I think if you make it to the stage of them collecting the visa fee then you will probably get your visa the next day. I got the feeling that while you are standing in front of the clerk and he/she is looking at your paperwork, that is the review, and if they give the nod and collect your money you are in the clear.

Third, they never asked to see any original documents but I did have them with me.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank to the info on this thread, I did the trip.... 05/10/11

Hi guys, I have just got a Non O multi, based on marriage at Kuala Lumpur.

I flew to KL from BKK on Wednesday morning, 10am (B6,500 round trip). The flight was about 2 hours and arrived in KL at 1pm. (They are an hour in front)

After arriving at the airport, exiting the building, I turned left and found buses that go to KL Sentral, which is near the Brickfields area of the city. (9 ringgit)

When I arrived at the station, it was in a tunnel, next to a construction site. I walked straight on, keeping to the right in a walkway made to get round the construction. Then I saw signs for this hotel.

http://www.myhotels.com.my/

I tried to check in to My hotel Sentral but they were full so I saw some other hotels and ended up staying in the hotel Mexico. ......A shit hole.....(100 ringgit)

After 10 minutes in there, I decided to get a new room for the following day. So undeterred, I ventured out and booked myself into My Hotel Brickfields ( Also just around the corner) for the following evening. I didn't know the area but I took a walk out.

There is a 7/11 in the area and exactly opposite this, on the other side of the road I saw a neon sign that said, * Intown Pub* pointing to some stairs....Nothing ventured, nothing gained, I thought.....I went in there and I was just like Cheers....A great little bar with a pool table, classic rock hits playing, Carlsberg draught and a room full of old Indian guys......Who could all speak English well and were fantastic hosts....

I got absolutely smashed in there and was bought more beers than I paid for.....Really, a great bunch of guys.....The barman was a 52 year old guy with long hair, named Junar....Top man....( Carlsberg draught, 8.80 ringgits a glass)

I woke up at 7am, showered and headed back to KL Sentral to get the train the embassy.

Caught train from KL Sentral Station to Ampang Park Station (Gombak/Putra Terminal Line) 2 ringgits. 15 minutes.

As you go out the station , turn left. ( Walking away from the twin towers) and keep straight to a big junction. Cross the junction and keep on straight. The road is called Jalan Ampang. Keep walking and you will first pass the French embassy, then a police station and then the Thai embassy. The walk in total was about 15 minutes.

I arrived there at about 8.30am.

The doors open at 9.00am to get your name etc and give you an application form and to wait outside the main building. There were lots of people there and none of them liked queing. At 9.30am they let you in to hand in your application.

For my Multi Non O based on marriage I submitted-

Photocopy of ID page of passport

Letter from my wife requesting visa for me ( One in Thai, one in English)

letter from my bank showing balance of 100,000 THB or more

Visa Fee 550 ringgits.

It took about 30 mins then I went back to my room, doing the trip in reverse.

When I got back, I checked out the Hotel Mexico and in to My hotel Brickfields.

The room was small but very good. 32' flatscreen with many channels. A good sized bathroom, kettle and very good wi-fi. it had two single beds in, pushed together.

108 ringgits.

That night I went to the fabled Beach Club and Thai bar, about a 15 minute taxi ride away. They were both full of girls from Vietnam, Phillipines, Thailand, Africa.....Many different girls. They were freelancers. I didn't partake but I heard that for ST alone, they are looking for 200 ringgits plus. The beer started at 16 + ringgits for a small bottle. Not cheap in there. On the whole I got the impression you could have a great time in there but it won't be cheap.

Friday, I checked out My Hotel at noon and had something to eat and did a bit of shopping. I went back to the embassy at 2pm and was let in at 2.30pm to collect my

passport and visa. Many people again. I was only there about 20 minutes.

Outside the embassy there are many taxi drivers, who will quote you 85 ringgits to take you back to the airport. It's about an hour's drive. Watch out for the drivers in general....They are sharks. I got quoted many crazy prices throughout my stay there and some were reluctant to use the metre, even though on many cars it says they cannot haggle and should use the metre. The drivers I found that were ok were the Chinese Malays. The Indian drivers were ruthless.

I choose to take the train to KL Sentral and then the bus back to the airport. Total cost 11 ringgits.....I arrived at KL LCCT at about 4.30pm then my return flight at 1845pm.

There you go, a visa run to Malaysia, made easy.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For extension it is 400k in account two months. Bank passbook/copies and letter of account balance on day of application. Normal marriage/passport/housing/wife requirements listed in many posts. Immigration office should have a list specific to them for the asking.

• 3 months later...

Followed the above posters instructions, and just successfully got myself a multi non-imm 'O' based on marriage.

I am a British national female and supplied these docs:

- Copy of marriage cert (signed by both parties)

- Copy of husband's house register (blue book) (signed by him)

- Copy of husband's id card (signed by him)

- Copy of my Thai bank account book showing 100+k (signed by me, the latest transaction and date showing on the book was 4days before the date I applied for my visa)

- Letter in English written by husband, requesting for visa to be issued so we can live together as husband+wife (signed by him)

- Same letter as above, but in Thai (signed by him)

The clerk glanced at all the docs very quickly, she didn't take more than about 5secs to look at them , then asked for the money

I had the original marriage and cert and bank book, but these were not requested

Don't forget to keep the ticket+receipt she hands back to you, you will need that the next day when you go pick up your passport

The embassy is a very easy 10min walk from Ampang park city LRT station (not to be confused with 'Ampang station' which is on another line)

Exit the station and walk straight down the road, in the opposite direction from the Bank of China

That is interesting but wonder why? You can easily extend for one year inside Thailand and even obtain a non immigrant visa for that without leaving. Being female there is no financial requirement. Are you planning frequent travel so visa works for you better than one year extensions of stay?

• 1 month later...

quote from original post,

Documents Submitted

Passport

Photocopy of first page of passport

Photocopy of certified translation of marriage certificate

Photocopy of daughter's birth certificate

Letter from my wife requesting visa for me

Photocopy of my bank book showing balance of 100,000 THB

2012/02/21

Just returned from KL and confirm that this information is still correct and fee is still 550 RM.

" You can download the application form from the embassy website or collect one at the gate."

Yes you can download the application form from their website, but once you submit it to their staff, they will refuse it and ask you to collect a slightly different form from the bald guy at the gate, which keep the forms as if they are made of gold......did they update the form on their website? has anyone succesfully submitted a form downloaded from there? They were refusing them last year, i have a friend in KL right now, i will let you know if he will experience any not already quoted situation.

He didn't update his bank book last year (last updated an year earlier), was told to give copies of it anyway or his application wouldn't be accepted + a bank draft with 500 US Dollars on his own name, the application was succesful.