Netherlands to close cannabis coffee shops to tourists

News_Editor

Netherlands to close cannabis coffee shops to tourists

2011-05-28 00:24:27 GMT+7 (ICT)

AMSTERDAM (BNO NEWS) -- In an effort to stop drug tourism, the Dutch government on Friday decided to restrict access to cannabis coffee shops so that tourists will no longer be able to buy the drugs.

Coffee shops are establishments in the Netherlands where the sale of cannabis for personal consumption by the public is tolerated by the local authorities. As this is illegal in most countries, many tourists from around the world travel to Amsterdam to use cannabis.

But in an effort to reduce criminal behavior and tourism as a result of the drug policy, the Dutch government on Friday decided to introduce a membership system for coffee shops. The city of Amsterdam, where most tourists go, is against the decision

The new system will require members of coffee shops to be a citizen of the Netherlands and over the age of 18. "The coalition agreement says that the current open door policy of coffee shops should be stopped and that the fight against organized drug crime should be intensified," the Dutch cabinet said in a statement.

The new laws will require coffee shops to become closed clubs for the local market, meaning that only Dutch citizens will be allowed access if they are able to show a valid ID and have a membership of the coffee shop in question.

The membership will be in the form of a club card which can be provided by coffee shop owners if those who want to be a customer can produce a valid ID and proof that he or she lives in the Netherlands. The membership will be for a period of at least a year, but coffee shops will be restricted in the number of club cards they can issue.

"The desired small scale will be achieved by the cabinet by capping the number of members of coffee shops. What the exact maximum number of members per coffee shop is will be determined at a later moment," the cabinet said. "The mayor can under local circumstances impose a lower number of maximum members."

The European Court of Justice previously said the new laws to deny access to foreigners is not in violation of European law. A court case against the new measures is still pending at the Netherlands' Council of State, but the government does not expect this to be a problem.

"The cabinet expects that the closure of coffee shops to foreign drug tourists will result in that they no longer travel to the Netherlands for the sale and consumption of cannabis," the cabinet said in the statement. "After all, for many of them applies that they can use the existing illegal market in their own country. Nevertheless will the possible side effects of these measures be monitored closely and adequately addressed by the police, judiciary, and administration."

Additionally, the Dutch government also decided on Friday that coffee shops will not be allowed within 350 meters (1,100 feet) of schools. This measure is aimed to stop students from visiting the coffee shops.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-05-28

Let's see. Raises the price of the KGB (killer green bud) reduces tourist revenue and taxes across the plane. Hurts the coffee shop business. Increases illegal activity. Puts a strain on the court system, jails and tax payers when arrests increase.

Sounds like a typical government operation too me.

Fortunately Portugal has decriminalized most, if not all, drugs for personal use. See you on the beach.... B)

Additionally, the Dutch government also decided on Friday that coffee shops will not be allowed within 350 meters (1,100 feet) of schools. This measure is aimed to stop students from visiting the coffee shops.

As if 350 meters were are a far to long distance to walk to get something to smoke. B)

It will be only to long if you are stoned. So it maybe stops coffee shops visiting students from going to school. :whistling:

On the face of it a victory for the regulatory fascists of Brussels, however I believe there is a deeper cause. Amongst cannabis users I suspect nearly all can get supplies with ease in their home Countries, even the best bud which can be grown under lights.

There is one problem with Amsterdam and that is it's become a giant scum magnet attracting foreign gangs of undesirables selling hard drugs and carrying out theft and muggings of normal tourists. This is not per se a drug problem but the well documented problem of uncontrolled immigration gone mad in Europe. Very sad but we are seeing the symptom addressed here and not the root cause.

Edited by Steely Dan

I was just in Amsterdam last week. While I didn't go into a coffee shop, I had offer upon offer of hard drugs from guys standing on the corner as I walked by.

At a burger shop operated by an Irish guy (great burger, too), the owner told us that the red light distract had been cut in half in 2008 or maybe 2009 when the local government closed many of the venues.

I was just in Amsterdam last week. While I didn't go into a coffee shop, I had offer upon offer of hard drugs from guys standing on the corner as I walked by.

At a burger shop operated by an Irish guy (great burger, too), the owner told us that the red light distract had been cut in half in 2008 or maybe 2009 when the local government closed many of the venues.

This was exactly my impression the last time I visited Amsterdam, I lived in Brussels for many years during the 90's and though Amsterdam always had an edge to it the atmosphere seemed to have become more menacing. Perhaps Amsterdam is best left as a place full of fond memories from my youth, but time has moved on alas.

It will be very interesting to monitor levels of crime in Amsterdam as a result of this move.

As if 350 meters were are a far to long distance to walk to get something to smoke. B)

It will be only to long if you are stoned. So it maybe stops coffee shops visiting students from going to school. :whistling:

It would be a far enough distance in Thailand...some lazy folks here

The European Court of Justice previously said the new laws to deny access to foreigners is not in violation of European law. A court case against the new measures is still pending at the Netherlands' Council of State, but the government does not expect this to be a problem.

They seem to pick and choose which national laws are in violation of European Union rules as they like.

I don't do any form of drugs including marijuana but I think those who want to use it should have free access to it. I'm sure that would reduce a lot of the crime caused by drug users having to support an expensive habit. If they could buy their drugs in the local pharmacy at normal drug prices they wouldn't need to burgle and rob innocent people to support it.

surely the bright sparks who came up with this absolutely stupid policy

would needed to have been on the weed themselves to have such a harebrained idea? :blink:

Let's hope for their sake they stay employed as public servants because with this

line of thinking they wouldn't last 5 min out in the real world

Edited by midas

Well i think that the Dutch government are doing the right thing by banning sales of weed/hash to foreigners in Holland.Yes it may harm the tourist trade but it will it will help Holland become a safer and cleaner place like it used to be.

That's bullshit. So, only the a Dutch citizen can purchase cannabis legally. But, isn't Holland part of the EU? I could move to, and live in Holland tomorrow if I so desired.

You don't have to be a Dutch citizen,you only need proof that you live in the Netherlands.

But won't that just push the pot sales out on the street, which is a problem that much of the rest of the world faces?

What will the punishment for a foreigner caught smoking in a coffee shop? Does it count if you don't inhale?

Can we sit there and enjoy the second hand smoke or are we banned from having a cup of coffee as well?

Have always wanted to go to Amsterdam just to witness a society that let normal people make their own choices WITHOUT treating them like criminals.

Still, as the article has stated, they have not outlawed the sale of the stuff or restricted those places so muc ..only banning its sale to tourists.

Good on the Dutch government for thinking of social issues first instead of automatically bowing to the almighty dollar..(unlike the Aussie government and its dispicable poker machine farce....oops off topic,sorry)

Anyway, If the last few comments are anything to go by they might have sacrificed some small percentage of their tourist trade by doing this.

Sheez, just imagine the uproar in Thailand if they restricted the sale of...err...certain...err....illegal goodies....to thai nationals only and not for Farang consumption :ph34r::whistling::)

That's bullshit. So, only the a Dutch citizen can purchase cannabis legally. But, isn't Holland part of the EU? I could move to, and live in Holland tomorrow if I so desired.

Of course it is :lol: I mean you could just get a local to buy it for you

or you could ask them to invite you on the basis that you pick up the tab and as for this " The membership will be in the form of a club card which can be provided by coffee shop owners if those who want to be a customer can produce a valid ID and proof that he or she lives in the Netherlands "

you can easily produce documents to say you are living there full-time.

It is a feeble exercise while the rest of the world is starting to open up on this issue :rolleyes:

Edited by midas

It's not over til the fat lady sings, I bet the City of Amsterdam's tourist board and a lobby of coffee shop owners will challenge this and put the brakes on, or when the notice the slump in tourist figures after a year they will allow them to re-open.

I lived briefly in Amsterdam back in '99 and attended the Cannabis Cup, the whole idea of sitting around in cool coffee shop, lounging on sofas and sharing a joint with other like minded people was all part of the cool atmosphere. It was the reason people came. Some coffee shops were really funky, and many were beyond the dodgy red light district. Sure Amsterdam has a crime problem (walk home stoned late at night and some Arabian looking fellow will try and mug you). If you want to get rid of it the decentralise the red light district.

There's nothing new about these proposals. The new laws have been widely debated for over a year now. What hasn't happened yet is the creation of any realistic timescale for enforcement of this legislation. It has been thought that Amsterdam will be exempt from enforcement of the new laws as the impact on tourism would be catastrophic. For small towns with perhaps only two or three coffeshops the new laws make a lot of sense to the local residents, especially towns close to mainland border crossings where the local coffeshops have been used as cash and carries by dealers from across the border.

I smoked for about 35 years, and decided to give it up for purely practical reasons, that is to say that as I was moving out to Thailand, and was going to marry a Thai national I figured my good standing with the Immigration department and lack of criminal record was far more important to my new life than getting high.

I was a judge at the Cannabis cup in 1999, and enjoyed many weekend breaks and holidays to Amsterdam over the years. I always enjoyed the civilised and tolerant approach of the dutch system, and would be sorry to see the majority of the coffeshops in Amsterdam close down, for this would be the effect of the enforcement of the new laws. The sheer quantity of coffeshops far exceed the number that could be viably supported by local smokers. And Yes, the street corner dealers, who currently sell hard drugs there, would be quick to take advantage of the situation, producing all the problems that the coffeshop system had evolved to negate.

and they are proposing to close down the Red Light Area in A'dam ....bang goes the tourist trade !!!

Let's see. The unedifying sight of (mostly) poor black heroin users in Dam Square, together with the ganja reeking streets adding to the overall sleaziness of of this European Capitol City and a bunch of old tarts with their tits hanging out behind glass frontaged windows. Give me Patpong any day. At least it's not 'in your face' and you can choose whether to be a voyeur/partaker, or not.

Amsterdam's little social experiment has failed. Miserably.

I would think that it would be a violation of EU standards on discrimination and human rights. Basically, the gov't will be discriminating against foreign nationals, even though they may be members of the EU.

The membership system would negate some of this, but only to the extent that tourists or non-Dutch nationals could access the system.

Thoughts?