Little Shop Of Horrors

My sister in law planted a seedling/sapling of the below sometime ago. It seems to have taken on a life of its own and has gotten quite large. The reference to the movie in the topic title is due to it changing position from day to night. :D During the day, the larger leaf on the right is flat/horizontal to the ground. During the evening it points nearly straight up to the sky. Believe she says you can eat it. Any ideas as to what it is?

post-566-0-96107300-1306557126_thumb.jpg

This is the giant Elephant Ear also giant Taro. It is a Colocasia but difficult to say which variety.

The stems and tubers (roots) can be eaten.

Do a google for colocasia and may be you can find out what variety it is.

They can grow like weed given the right environment.

Edited by opalhort

Sorry, I could have been mistaken about Colocasia (my wife just pointed it out) since most of the Colocasias don't have the glossy leaves.

It looks more like Alocasia macrorhizza.

Looking that one up appears to be right. Seems there are over 70 species. Hope mine doesn't get this big or I'm calling the gardener. :D

ElephantGiantThailand.jpg

Elephant Giant - Thailand

Great Post ! ! It is one of the first 'amazing' experiences of my life in Thailand. When I visited (what has been ever since my wife)'s farm near Kabin Buri;I noticed this Giant Leaf Plant for the first time and was rather charmed by it.

Took a 'seedling' back home to Pattaya and we have enjoyed this phenomena ever since (for 18 years now).

Thank you for the post !

Edited by jaapfries

• 1 month later...