Laundry - Overcharged

JimSiam

I needed to get some curtains cleaned, so knowing that they have been exposed to UV for anumber of years I didnt want to just get the corner Laundry to clean them, a search of the internet found a shop in Naklua that does Hotels cleaning and guarantees no damage, a quick call and a quote for the 12' x 6' heavy curtains was 450 baht each and 3,600 baht total and they would pickup.

3 days later is where the trouble started.

They arrive back with the curtains all perfectly cleaned and a bill for 59,000 baht! they wanted 450 baht a foot when they only quoted 450 baht per curtain, after lots of discussion, they handed over the curtains and 3,600 was paid, but they still want the remainder, what to do?

Edited by Mario2008
name further edited out

What a rip-off. Sounds like a new twist on the old "I empty your toilet" scam (quoting the whole septic tank first, then changing the bill to be per centimeter).

You got the curtains back, so at this time I wouldn't do anything else. Wait it out and see what, if anything, they will do next. 59,000 baht to clean some curtains is clearly a rip-off, I don't think they'll get very far with it unless they have your written acceptance for the price. Eventually you may have to check it out with a lawyer, but for now I'd just sit tight.

Edited by WyattEarp

AFAIK the foot isn't even a recognized standard in Thailand, you should have been quoted in meters or cm, or per piece. Thailand is metric.

in certain businesses they still quote by imperial measures. Curtains are one of it, when I was shopping for curtains a while ago I was confronted with yards and inches.

AFAIK the foot isn't even a recognized standard in Thailand, you should have been quoted in meters or cm, or per piece. Thailand is metric.

They asked for the size in feet to get an idea of how large they are, then quoted 450 per piece, then changed to per foot when the bin came.

If they do hotel curtains as well, try to find a hotel manager and see what / how they pay. They will of course have a discount but you will then know if your quote is in the ballpark or not, which makes your case stronger.

If they are going to make your life difficult, use this and go pay them a visit with a police officer and/or a lawyer. Should shut them up quickly enough.

They asked for the size in feet to get an idea of how large they are, then quoted 450 per piece, then changed to per foot when the bin came.

This topic clearly lacks info.

They quoted 450baht per item you say.

Exactly HOW did they quote this? In writing? Verbally? Telepathically?

The way the information was carried to you and how, if, you can prove it solves the whole issue.

Who came up with the3600 Baht total figure? If it was them it is pretty clear that the price should be per curtain not per foot.

8 curtains 450 baht each piece, total 3,600 baht quotd verbally over the phone

okies, 3600b / 450b = 8 curtains at 12' x 6' yeah.........

12' x 6' = 72 square foot of curtain @ 450b per ft is 32400b, however 59,000 (baht) / 8 (curtains) / 450(baht per ft) = 16.38...........how did they work out each 12' x 6' curtain was 16.38ft ?

Edited by Spoonman

They cant add up anyway.

12*6=72sqft/curtain.

72*8 = 576sqft total

576*450 = 259200, not 59000

Or are they trying to say that they bill by the linear foot, regardless of the hight of the curtains?

12linft*8 = 96linft

96linft * 450 = 43200, not 59000

Tell them to sue you. :jap:

Who came up with the3600 Baht total figure? If it was them it is pretty clear that the price should be per curtain not per foot.

- Get someone else to call them and get a similar quotation for slightly different sizes and insist on written (e.mail?) quotation and if it's confusing or if there's any chance it could be interpreted different wya, then seek full clarification in a further e.mail. Now you have some ammunition.

- Talk to housekeeping at a local hotel, ask them how much they pay for outside curtain cleaning services, and double check if they are talking about per foot, yard, whole piece etc. Now you have a comparison.

You've got the curtains back ......... in your possession. :whistling:

I am trying to remember what we paid for our curtains, and IIRC, you could replace the whole lot with really nice stuff for less than 59,000B, probably get the curtain rails too.

I've compared prices with my friend's Curtain Dry-cleaning Company in Brussels, Belgium.

Quick calculation for this job (I took "Verduisterend gevoerde overgordijnen" = Sunscreen and inner lined curtains = 5.35 EURO per square meter) (576 sqf = 176 sqm)

This dry cleaning job then performed in Belgium would cost 942 EURO + 21% VAT = 1.140 EURO and then lets say you live between 25 and 50 KM from the shop so that's 50 EURO extra for pick-up and delivery,.....

Grand total = 1,190 EURO = +/- 49,980 THB

Yes, also in Belgium they take them off and hang them back + small repairs are included.

Link for reference: http://www.stores.be/nl/rvpag2b.htm

So let them sue you.

Edited by KhunVee

I am trying to remember what we paid for our curtains, and IIRC, you could replace the whole lot with really nice stuff for less than 59,000B, probably get the curtain rails too.

Was thinking that, someone try to pull this kinda scam on me I'll tell em to keep the bloody things and just replace them !!!

I'd tell them to piss off... another case of fkcu the farang. I had someone in the condo beneath me try to scam me into replacing their ceiling. They said my condo leaked and caused water damage to their condo. I had in two plumbers and neither one could find a leak. I told them "prove it and I will pay". They shut up and I haven't heard a thing since.

Edited by rmicheald

- Get someone else to call them and get a similar quotation for slightly different sizes and insist on written (e.mail?) quotation and if it's confusing or if there's any chance it could be interpreted different wya, then seek full clarification in a further e.mail. Now you have some ammunition.

- Talk to housekeeping at a local hotel, ask them how much they pay for outside curtain cleaning services, and double check if they are talking about per foot, yard, whole piece etc. Now you have a comparison.

Best advice. Would you put the phone number here so anyone can confirm the price ?

My experience with this kind of thing is that it is usually a language mistake - on both sides - rather than any intention to rip the customer off.

This kind of thing is one of the biggest frustrations about living here.

My experience with this kind of thing is that it is usually a language mistake - on both sides - rather than any intention to rip the customer off.

Agree!! However language mistake or not: 450 baht/foot for dry cleaning... totaling to 64K baht is a big rip off :annoyed:

I remember one day at a well-known eatery here in Jomtien - I ordered two dishes, but then I found out that the 2nd dish was almost the same as the 1st one... I told the waiter - "Forget it" about the 2nd dish. Lo and behold... two dishes were delivered to me. His explanation was "You didn't say cancell" - go figure!!! :lol:

Agree!! However language mistake or not: 450 baht/foot for dry cleaning... totaling to 64K baht is a big rip off :annoyed:

I remember one day at a well-known eatery here in Jomtien - I ordered two dishes, but then I found out that the 2nd dish was almost the same as the 1st one... I told the waiter - "Forget it" about the 2nd dish. Lo and behold... two dishes were delivered to me. His explanation was "You didn't say cancell" - go figure!!! :lol:

Learn Thai then.......simples, no more mistakes......one thing us foreigners cant complain about is communication problems if we dont even bother learning the local language...most other things we can justify having a moan about but not this

Learn Thai then.......simples, no more mistakes......one thing us foreigners cant complain about is communication problems if we dont even bother learning the local language...most other things we can justify having a moan about but not this

Thais get screwed just as hard sometimes. Fact of the matter is, there are rip-off artists everywhere and even a "good" businessman will turn bad if he needs to make quick cash to cover his gambling debt from the night before.

Been there done that...... Unfortunately some of us, old farts, aren't as smart as you when it comes to learning another language :annoyed:

The eatery I mentioned is a popular tourists and expats hangout. You think a tourist visiting Thailand for 2 weeks should take Thai Lessons?? Get real.... :angry: On the other side of the coin: Thais working in a tourist related industries should at least speak a little of the international language i.e: English.

I have spoken basic Thai for two decades and that only helps to a certain extent - it certainly does not stop all the problems.

When you understand spohen Thai you quickly start to notice that they even misunderstand each other on a regular basis - maybe because of all the dialects. :unsure:

I have spoken basic Thai for two decades and that only helps to a certain extent - it certainly does not stop all the problems.

When you understand spohen Thai you quickly start to notice that they even misunderstand each other on a regular basis - maybe because of all the dialects. :unsure:

Exactly my thoughts UG,I had umpteen times experienced a situation as you describe and scratched my head with the thought if they actually speak the same language