Commencement Of The Advancement Of Simple Language Methodologies

msg362

Many of the words the OP is unhappy about seem to originate (sorry, start) from American Business, presumably where people are attempting (sorry, trying) to impress each other with how much hot air they can expel (oh, there I go again). It does lead to some horrible words. Methodology is one.

English, with its multiple sources, has different words which mean similar things, but often a particular meaning and usage(arghh) has attached to each of them, and contribute to the richness, expressiveness and accuracy of the language. The longer words may convey a subtlety of meaning, and may be appropriate for use, so it is wrong to condemn them out of hand.

However, I do like some of the colourful (drat!) American phrases, such as "think outside the box" as cited here. I thought outside the box once, and got a brain hernia.

I am amused by the affected use of words like kudos (pronounced cuedows instead of kudoss) as though it is a bunch of medals. In fact it is Greek, is singular, and means glory. Another is moot, as in moot point, which is used to mean the exact opposite of its real meaning. A moot is what the English had before the French wandered over and gave them a parliament. Unhappily this usage is infecting the world. It is a while since I have been there, so perhaps the fashionable words have changed.

Still, as the Americans say "English is a living language. Let's murder it!"

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of the words the OP is unhappy about seem to originate (sorry, start) from American Business, presumably where people are attempting (sorry, trying) to impress each other with how much hot air they can expel (oh, there I go again). It does lead to some horrible words. Methodology is one.

English, with its multiple sources, has different words which mean similar things, but often a particular meaning and usage(arghh) has attached to each of them, and contribute to the richness, expressiveness and accuracy of the language. The longer words may convey a subtlety of meaning, and may be appropriate for use, so it is wrong to condemn them out of hand.

However, I do like some of the colourful (drat!) American phrases, such as "think outside the box" as cited here. I thought outside the box once, and got a brain hernia.

I am amused by the affected use of words like kudos (pronounced cuedows instead of kudoss) as though it is a bunch of medals. In fact it is Greek, is singular, and means glory. Another is moot, as in moot point, which is used to mean the exact opposite of its real meaning. A moot is what the English had before the French wandered over and gave them a parliament. Unhappily this usage is infecting the world. It is a while since I have been there, so perhaps the fashionable words have changed.

Still, as the Americans say "English is a living language. Let's murder it!"

biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

The use of pretentious language in writing is defined as much by stylistic elements employed by the writer as it is by the specific vocabulary chosen with purpose to convey a sanctimonious and supercilious sense of superiority. Generally, to evoke the more precise sense of pretentiousness, as opposed to a genuine level of scholarly difficulty necessary to adequately communicate abstract and deeply penetrating analysis and thought, there will be a subtle hint of insecurity present in the writer's tone underneath the flamboyant verbosity that reveals clear strains of overcompensation for underlying feelings of inadequacy that are slyly hinted at in the noticeable similarity between the words "pretentious" and "pretend" (which have no basis in actual linguistic structure, however). Complex as the differentiation between pretentiousness and true erudition may be, the simplest definition is "you know it when you see it."

Could you illustrate that, for the benefit of the semi-literate amongst us?

SC

Methinks UG did so, already. He says: "Pretentious language uses complicated sentence structure and posh words. And if a goofball uses big words for petty talk, he will likely go astray and be unmasked." To show what kind of traps an unschooled writer might run into, UG (deliberately) lays the false claim that the words pretentious and pretend are not related, whereas they both stem from the Latin prae-tendere: to lay [a claim] before someone. (SCNR)

PS thank you all for this entertaining thread. Too bad I can't think of a subtle way of slipping in antidisestablishmentarianism.

<br />
<br />
<br />The use of pretentious language in writing is defined as much by stylistic elements employed by the writer as it is by the specific vocabulary chosen with purpose to convey a sanctimonious and supercilious sense of superiority. Generally, to evoke the more precise sense of pretentiousness, as opposed to a genuine level of scholarly difficulty necessary to adequately communicate abstract and deeply penetrating analysis and thought, there will be a subtle hint of insecurity present in the writer's tone underneath the flamboyant verbosity that reveals clear strains of overcompensation for underlying feelings of inadequacy that are slyly hinted at in the noticeable similarity between the words "pretentious" and "pretend" (which have no basis in actual linguistic structure, however). Complex as the differentiation between pretentiousness and true erudition may be, the simplest definition is "you know it when you see it."<br />
<br /><br />Could you illustrate that, for the benefit of the semi-literate amongst us?<br /><br />SC<br />
<br /><br />Methinks UG did so, already. He says: "Pretentious language uses complicated sentence structure and posh words. And if a goofball uses big words for petty talk, he will likely go astray and be unmasked." To show what kind of traps an unschooled writer might run into, UG (deliberately) lays the false claim that the words pretentious and pretend are not related, whereas they both stem from the Latin prae-tendere: to lay [a claim] before someone. (SCNR)<br /><br />PS thank you all for this entertaining thread. Too bad I can't think of a subtle way of slipping in antidisestablishmentarianism.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

If you can slip it in unnoticed, its scarcely something to boast about.

My apologies for the spurious trim phone noises ('/<br>'; it seems to be a fault with my down-loading of the reply page.

SC

I notice this increasingly in American movies, where 'normal' language has been replaced by military-like terminology, this grinds me. Whereas once it was normal to say 'get out of the car', now it must be 'Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to de-vehicle' or some such dribble, in an officious tone. Unfortunately what is more annoying is that now everyone who wears any uniform, including toy cops, 7-11 guards et al, all seem to think they have the right to talk to you like that. Vehicle --- car interdiction ---- pull someone over Oz