Cats And Homes

Delphis

Hi again folks.

I have a question, which may be addressed to anyone who has brought their pets to Thailand, although it also concerns property buying laws for foreigners.

I have several cats to bring to Chiang Mai. The question is, for those who have done this or something similar, what is the best way to achieve this?

What I mean, specifically, is that it I want to get my own place in Thailand, but I will obviously want to look around “on the ground” for a while before I decide on something. How difficult am I going to find it to rent a place for a while with a handful of cats in tow? For practical purposes, as it is just me moving, it would be extremely difficult to have the cats “sent on” (to Thailand) later, so they basically have to arrive with me.

If the answer is “difficult” does anyone have thoughts as to a workaround for that?

OK, my other question is about the property laws. I THINK I understand that a foreigner can buy a condo, and that a foreigner can buy a house with the land on a long term (30 year with possibility of extension) leasehold (i.e. not own the land? I would probably want to go for this latter. Also, how rare are those instances?

My questions are, first of all whether I have understood that correctly, and second if these rules differ between the two scenarios of 1) a retirement visa and 2) a working visa for teaching English in Chiang Mai.

Hi Delphis,

Welcome to the TV forum. You may want to use the search function and hang out at in the "Plants, Pets and Vets" section of TV for insight on how to bring your cats to Thailand. They'll want to know your country of origin, how many cats, whether they have any health issues, etc. Many people have successfully brought cats to Thailand, although personally I'm glad we found great homes for our pets before we left the U.S. and allowed a new one to find us after we lived in Thailand for a while. I visited "our" U.S. dog after she'd been settled into her new home and while she seemed happy to see me, it was evident she didn't want to leave her new home with the cool teenagers to return to live with a couple of old folks like Hubby and me.

You don't need to buy a house to live with a pet in Thailand. House rentals are plentiful and many condo owners will let their tenants have cats, also.

Edited by NancyL

<br />Hi Delphis,<br /><br />Welcome to the TV forum.  You may want to use the search function and hang out at in the "Plants, Pets and Vets" section of TV for insight on how to bring your cats to Thailand.  They'll want to know your country of origin, how many cats, whether they have any health issues, etc.  Many people have successfully brought cats to Thailand, although personally I'm glad we found great homes for our pets before we left the U.S. and allowed a new one to find us after we lived in Thailand for a while.  I visited "our" U.S. dog after she'd been settled into her new home and while she seemed happy to see me, it was evident she didn't want to leave her new home with the cool teenagers to return to live with a couple of old folks like Hubby and me.<br /><br />You don't need to buy a house to live with a pet in Thailand.  House rentals are plentiful and many condo owners will let their tenants have cats, also.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks Nancy. Do you recommend copying this post over to that area you mention?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Delphis,

Welcome to Thailand, Chiang Mai, and the ThaiVisa forum !

We love cats, as we're sure you do, but we would never subject (apparently several cats ?) a cat to international migration, let alone to living in two different homes here.

best, ~o37;

Edited by orang37

Delphis, you're not suppose to post the same topic on several forums at once. Why not pop over to the pets forum and have a look around using the search function? You're not the first westerner to bring a pet to Thailand.

<br />Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Delphis,<br /><br />Welcome to Thailand, Chiang Mai, and the ThaiVisa forum !<br /><br />We love cats, as we're sure you do, but we would never subject (apparently several cats ?) a cat to international migration, let alone to living in two different homes here.<br /><br />best, ~o37;<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I've had to do it before. If they are young, it's traumatic, sure, just as it is for humans, but they get over it and then there is years ahead together for you and your furry ones.

I would never consider leaving my pets behind in any country. They are family :)

We moved two cats from Lake Jackon, Tx to Midland, Mi. Not exactly a trans-pacific crossing, but it did involve three flights. After each flight, I claimed the cats from the luggage carosel and tried to comfort them. One of the cats "got lost" on the last leg of the trip. So, there I was, standing at the lost baggage counter in Midland, Michigan, holding a cat carrier with one squalling cat, while I was crying and wailing "my cat didn't make it! You've lost my cat". The kindly agent said "lady, you're holding your cat!"

The cat that "got lost" did show up on the next flight from Detroit to Midland, Mi, but frankly he never was the same again.

I wouldn't do this to a pet again, not unless I can fly first class with the animal on my lap.

Edit: actually I did this once when I brought a cat from Midland to Chicago for my parents on United Airlines first class. (I traveled a lot for business at that time and had more frequent flyer miles than sense.) The cat did quite well and the cabin crew loved him. He even got a cockpit tour, but that was before 9/11.

Edited by NancyL

<br />We moved two cats from Lake Jackon, Tx to Midland, Mi.  Not exactly a trans-pacific crossing, but it did involve three flights.  After each flight, I claimed the cats from the luggage carosel and tried to comfort them.  One of the cats &quot;got lost&quot; on the last leg of the trip.  So, there I was, standing at the lost baggage counter in Midland, Michigan, holding a cat carrier with one squalling cat, while I was crying and wailing &quot;my cat didn't make it!  You've lost my cat&quot;.  The kindly agent said &quot;lady, you're holding your cat!&quot;<br /><br />The cat that &quot;got lost&quot; did show up on the next flight from Detroit to Midland, Mi, but frankly he never was the same again.  <br /><br />I wouldn't do this to a pet again, not unless I can fly first class with the animal on my lap. <br /><br />Edit:  actually I did this once when I brought a cat from Midland to Chicago for my parents on United Airlines first class.  (I traveled a lot for business at that time and had more frequent flyer miles than sense.)  The cat did quite well and the cabin crew loved him.  He even got a cockpit tour, but that was before 9/11.<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />What age were they? I certainly wouldn't recommend it with anything other than young animals (under five for cats). If I could book three airline cabin tickets and take all five with me right beside me, sure I would. I brought two to the United States. I was annoyed with the condition they were in when they arrived. One didn't drink for three days.<br /><br />However, a week later they were fine and back to their old selves. They say that cats bond to places, not to people. Don't believe it. Edited by Delphis

The two cats that I brought from Texas to Michigan were under five years in age. I don't remember their exact age -- maybe 3 or 4. The other, the one that rode in the first class passenger cabin was fairly old -- maybe 7 or 8 at the time. He came thru it the best, but it was just one short flight and he was with me the whole time.

Part of the issue with moving the two cats the longer distance was that we were also moving our household so everything in their world was disrupted for a few weeks before and after the flight. (Similar to what would happen with the OP and his cats in a move to Thailand). With the older cat, he was living a nice, normal life when one day he was whisked off to the airport for a little adventure only to arrive at my parents place, where everything was once again nice and orderly.

Flora House allows pets and is a nice place to move into for the first month

Many landlords allow pets - just ask them, or tell the agency that you need a pet friendly rental

EVA airlines is very good with pets

Edited by PlanetX

Flora House allows pets and is a nice place to move into for the first month

Many landlords allow pets - just ask them, or tell the agency that you need a pet friendly rental

EVA airlines is very good with pets

I second the comment about Flora House. I stayed there for two months with my (then) four cats, that came with me on the plane from Europe (in the cargo hold, that is). They were perfectly fine after the trip but I doubt they would have been if they had travelled in separate cages. They were and are very strongly bonded to each other.

/ Priceless

&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;Flora House allows pets and is a nice place to move into for the first month &amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;Many landlords allow pets - just ask them, or tell the agency that you need a pet friendly rental&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;EVA airlines is very good with pets&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;I second the comment about Flora House. I stayed there for two months with my (then) four cats, that came with me on the plane from Europe (in the cargo hold, that is). They were perfectly fine after the trip but I doubt they would have been if they had travelled in separate cages. They were and are very strongly bonded to each other.
It bugs me that air travel (hold, freight) is the only way to transport pets. One day, some pet only (or owners-with-pets only) international airline is going to make an absolute killing.I would travel on a cargo ship if I was allowed to have my pets with me. Edited by Delphis

I traveled with a cat in the first class cabin of a United Airlines flight many years ago. As I recall, there was a limit of one animal per flight and (of course) the animal had to be in a pet carrier that could fit in the space under the seat in front of you.

Multiple cats is a problem, and I even offered to buy two first class tickets and for each animal to be in its own carrier, but no airline would OK it when it was time to travel with two cats.

Perhaps there are some "traveling with pets" resources that could recommend an airline where you can travel with the animals in the cabin with you. Multiple animals may be a problem and/or expensive.

All airlines that I have travelled with / talked to / heard about have a limit of either one or two cats in the cabin. The reason is the risk of allergic reactions by some passenger, in which case the airline would probably be liable (peanuts, anybody?).

I feel fairly confident that if you were willing to charter an aircraft for yourself and your cats and pay for decontamination afterwards, there would be an airline willing to let you have your animals in the cabin :crazy:

As I said in my above post, my cats were perfectly happy to travel in their own cage in the air conditioned and pressurized cargo hold. This may of course vary between individuals.

/ Priceless

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Delphis,

Welcome to Thailand, Chiang Mai, and the ThaiVisa forum !

We love cats, as we're sure you do, but we would never subject (apparently several cats ?) a cat to international migration, let alone to living in two different homes here.

best, ~o37;

Why? . If in fact you love your cats then you have no choice anyway.... The question is not should I, the question for any animal lover is: how do I do this?.

To say leave your cats at home is silly . Animals shake things off quick, very quick.

A 12-24 hour trip is a cat cake walk .

Send them to the moon and back they sleep 20 hours a day so they miss most of any trip..

I am not sure why you would not subject your cats to international migration.

A religious thing ? A cat culture thing perhaps? Expound please.

Well no matter time for a cat nap.

Edited by yesterday

The OP asked: "I THINK I understand that a foreigner can buy a condo, and that a foreigner can buy a house with the land on a long term (30 year with possibility of extension) leasehold (i.e. not own the land? I would probably want to go for this latter. Also, how rare are those instances?"

** I assume you mean how rare is is that houses are offered on a 30 year lease basis (?) If you are interested in a place just ask the owner ... many have been trying to sell their place so long they will kiss you and happily go for the lease option .... if they say no, there are only about another zillion places for you to choose from. Rents are low if you choose/negotiate wisely, and I would strongly suggest just renting for the first year or so until you get a feel for both the city and the property market.

"My questions are, first of all whether I have understood that correctly, and second if these rules differ between the two scenarios of 1) a retirement visa and 2) a working visa for teaching English in Chiang Mai. "

** a foreigner can buy some condos in their own name. a foreigner cannot own land (with some rare exceptions). no, no difference based on visa type. I would strongly suggest you research types of Thai land titles and ownership rights before looking at places for sale or talking to agents, etc. Lots of info available via google

You've got to love them...

Unfortunately, I couldn't bring my cat here with me (a very striking and independent Ocicat) but it wasn't long before we were adopted by an equally independent, striking and considerably less expensive ginger tom. Life was easy for the first couple of years but then he disappeared for longer than usual (three months) and came back looking happy, well fed and minus his collar. He stayed a while and that's been the story ever since with his last appearance on the morning of my wife's birthday back in December. My birthday happens to be this month and we made a bet that he'd show up for it just a couple of days ago and, stone me - he strolled through the door yesterday. Blooming creature could never get the hang of the calendar!

So here he is, without collar number three (or is it four?), all of which have had those little cannisters containing our name and number securely fastened by a ring. Clearly his other owners must have overlooked them, my 10 year old suggested and decided a more direct approach might be called for.

Unfortunately his memory for phone numbers isn't so hot and it's proving a rather difficult mistake to correct - anyone know how to get WhiteBoard Marker off ginger fur? He didn't appreciate the washing machine first time round although it worked a bit. Perhaps on the Synthetics Programme.....

i-ctQjwrG-L.jpg

Note: No felines, bears or Strange Brown Pixies were harmed during the production of this post.

You've got to love them...

Unfortunately, I couldn't bring my cat here with me (a very striking and independent Ocicat) but it wasn't long before we were adopted by an equally independent, striking and considerably less expensive ginger tom. Life was easy for the first couple of years but then he disappeared for longer than usual (three months) and came back looking happy, well fed and minus his collar. He stayed a while and that's been the story ever since with his last appearance on the morning of my wife's birthday back in December. My birthday happens to be this month and we made a bet that he'd show up for it just a couple of days ago and, stone me - he strolled through the door yesterday. Blooming creature could never get the hang of the calendar!

So here he is, without collar number three (or is it four?), all of which have had those little cannisters containing our name and number securely fastened by a ring. Clearly his other owners must have overlooked them, my 10 year old suggested and decided a more direct approach might be called for.

Unfortunately his memory for phone numbers isn't so hot and it's proving a rather difficult mistake to correct - anyone know how to get WhiteBoard Marker off ginger fur? He didn't appreciate the washing machine first time round although it worked a bit. Perhaps on the Synthetics Programme.....

i-ctQjwrG-L.jpg

Note: No felines, bears or Strange Brown Pixies were harmed during the production of this post.

Cute, Greenside! Our own ginger tom has never gone missing. Well, actually he's a ginger former-tom, which helps to keep him close to home. Also, we never let him outside. We have too much money and love invested in him to let him become someone else's pet, which is what appears to be happening with your boy.

Edited by NancyL

Ours is an ex-tom too, but despite never knowing what his Bits were really for he's still the wandering type.

I think he's conducting a survey of the local soi dogs in preparation for a feline uprising of some sort. Why else would he carry a clipboard?