Teacher License - Optional?

I have not heard anything. Where did you hear it?

Teachers, with a few exceptions, have needed a TL for a very long time. I got my TL many years ago. At that time, there was no Teacher's Council and there was, to the best of my knowledge, no testing mechanism for getting a TL. If you had a degree, most people received a TL. More than a few with diplomas and some additional course work were able to get a License. If you could convince the Ministry of Education that your had something that amounted to the equivalent of a Bachelor's degree, you were granted a license.

By about 2004-2005, the MOE began to tighten the regulations. I believe the Teacher's Council was in it's infancy. Provisional or temporary licenses were given out. Eventually, those who had a license before 2003 (I believe), were given something akin to a permanent license which has to be renewed, but they were grandfathered in and did not have to have full compliance with the Teacher's Council provisions for licensure.

By about 2004-2005, the MOE began to tighten the regulations. I believe the Teacher's Council was in it's infancy. Provisional or temporary licenses were given out.

The first provisional teaching permits were issued at the end of 2007, beginning 2008.

Eventually, those who had a license before 2003 (I believe), were given something akin to a permanent license which has to be renewed, but they were grandfathered in and did not have to have full compliance with the Teacher's Council provisions for licensure.

The only thing they had to do was to take the Thai Language, Culture and Ethics Course.

Heard it from a few teachers in Phitsanulok saying that the school can just obtain the temporary license every 2 years without having the teachers go on and do the test.

I wish this was true. I think it's wishful thinking.

Heard it from a few teachers in Phitsanulok saying that the school can just obtain the temporary license every 2 years without having the teachers go on and do the test.

It is not a temporary license...........it is a 'waiver' of two years exempting them from the licensing requirements

As written in my previous post, The Teachers Council of Thailand calls it a provisional teaching permit.

Provisional Teaching Permit

Teachers who have not met the Council's requirements; therefore this is an alternative way to assist:

1. Your employing school headmaster/ principal needs to provide a written request to the secretary-general of the Council requesting the exception of professional qualification, including the reasons why the school has to employ you.

2. Gather other required documents:

- A copy of passport with photo and signature or other evidence identified legally immigration

- A copy of employment contract

- A copy of degree or educational background

- One of 1 inch photographs without dark glasses taken within 6 months

3. Send the written request and required documents to the Secretariat Office of the Teachers' Council of Thailand.

After consideration of the reasons and documents attached, the Council will provide you with a two-year provisional teaching permit.

http://www.ksp.or.th...ng%20permit.pdf

As written in my previous post, The Teachers Council of Thailand calls it a provisional teaching permit.

Provisional Teaching Permit

Teachers who have not met the Council's requirements; therefore this is an alternative way to assist:

1. Your employing school headmaster/ principal needs to provide a written request to the secretary-general of the Council requesting the exception of professional qualification, including the reasons why the school has to employ you.

2. Gather other required documents:

- A copy of passport with photo and signature or other evidence identified legally immigration

- A copy of employment contract

- A copy of degree or educational background

- One of 1 inch photographs without dark glasses taken within 6 months

3. Send the written request and required documents to the Secretariat Office of the Teachers' Council of Thailand.

After consideration of the reasons and documents attached, the Council will provide you with a two-year provisional teaching permit.

http://www.ksp.or.th...ng%20permit.pdf

You are quite correct and my apologies.

Learn something new everyday. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I wish this was true. I think it's wishful thinking.

Yeah, I guess it is.

Doesn't seem they'll give up that 4,000 that easy...

Was told yesterday that "you guys" need to take the tests, pass the tests, and take the courses, and get your TL to renew again. This of course with the information that the TCT doesn't answer the phones or mail(even from Government schools). Maybe it's true but if and only if someone Thai were to go to the TCT office and find someone there?

I've been a volunteer teacher at our small village government school for the past 5+ years. During that time I have morphed from taking English classes into handling all things IT.

I took the computer room from being a free-for-all games environment, (a computer containing any kind of game + Thai student = play, not learn) to giving the students the ability to only run certain applications and access the internet via strict filtering. I also developed web-based learning packages, such as previous O-NET tests in every subject, basic maths skills (+-/X%) speed and accuracy reporting, class-wide maths and English quizzes and a vast interactive English learning suite.

My provisional teaching permit expired on 30th March, and on starting the new school year, I asked if the renewal/extension had been received - no. Still nothing by the beginning of June, so the administrator called TCT to be told they had no record of the request. A new letter was dispatched via EMS having been told it would take a week. 13 days later the administrator called TCT again (my via expires early July) to be told that I hadn't done anything towards qualification, but they would review my case and call back. No call came, so it is obvious that rules are rules and if not met, you are not worthy of an answer.

I never met any of the requirements of a TCT licence. I have no intention of obtaining a university degree, so anything else would be pointless. Yes, I know I could have taken the culture course and got another 2 years but as an unpaid volunteer, I drew the line at jumping through the hoops. I knew this would happen, so prepared for and have obtained a visa renewal based on marriage.

The school will be receiving an additional server and 12 PCs for a second computer room soon. None of the teachers have enough IT awareness/interest to be able to use what I have developed, so it will be just MS Word and watching VCDs for the students from now on.

TIT rant over - sorry!

I've been a volunteer teacher at our small village government school for the past 5+ years. During that time I have morphed from taking English classes into handling all things IT.

I took the computer room from being a free-for-all games environment, (a computer containing any kind of game + Thai student = play, not learn) to giving the students the ability to only run certain applications and access the internet via strict filtering. I also developed web-based learning packages, such as previous O-NET tests in every subject, basic maths skills (+-/X%) speed and accuracy reporting, class-wide maths and English quizzes and a vast interactive English learning suite.

My provisional teaching permit expired on 30th March, and on starting the new school year, I asked if the renewal/extension had been received - no. Still nothing by the beginning of June, so the administrator called TCT to be told they had no record of the request. A new letter was dispatched via EMS having been told it would take a week. 13 days later the administrator called TCT again (my via expires early July) to be told that I hadn't done anything towards qualification, but they would review my case and call back. No call came, so it is obvious that rules are rules and if not met, you are not worthy of an answer.

I never met any of the requirements of a TCT licence. I have no intention of obtaining a university degree, so anything else would be pointless. Yes, I know I could have taken the culture course and got another 2 years but as an unpaid volunteer, I drew the line at jumping through the hoops. I knew this would happen, so prepared for and have obtained a visa renewal based on marriage.

The school will be receiving an additional server and 12 PCs for a second computer room soon. None of the teachers have enough IT awareness/interest to be able to use what I have developed, so it will be just MS Word and watching VCDs for the students from now on.

TIT rant over - sorry!

Surprised they want you to have a TL (waiver). Immirgation doesn't allow you to extend your stay based on volunteering? Which immigration office is this.

I know Nan immigration wants a volunteer teacher to have a TL (waiver) but assumed that was an exception. The rules do allow for an extension of stay based on volunteering.

The school I work at received this communique from the OPEC on Friday. The same communique has gone out to all schools in the private sector. Note how there is no mention yet of costs. :)

Announcement

Graduate Diploma in Teaching

The Office of the Private Education Commission (OPEC), Ministry of Education has informed the school that they will offer the last chance for all teachers who do not have an Education Degree to apply for a Graduate Diploma in Teaching Profession (a one year course). The OPEC will take the names of all teachers who intend to take the course from the school. Then they will assign local universities to open the course.

Note:

-

For a person who does not have a degree in education and wishes to work as a teacher in Thailand, the school has to submit the document to OPEC which will issue a document stated that the named person is allowed to work as a teacher in Thailand (a letter of waiver). The letter will allow that person to work with the school for 2 years.

To acquire the 2nd letter, the teacher has to show the OPEC that they make an effort to work toward getting a teacher license by doing one of the following

a) taking Thai Culture Course (20 hours) which is currently suspended,

b. taking the test provided by the Ministry of Education or studying for an Education Degree

c) taking a graduate diploma course in Teaching profession (a one year course)

d) studying for any degree (Bachelor, Master or Doctorate) in education field

-

In order to apply for a Thai teacher license the teacher has to

a) Either have a degree in Education or have a bachelor degree in related field and graduated from a course at least one year long in

teaching profession (the course offered by university approved by

Ministry of Education)

b. Completed a 20-hour Thai culture course

It should be noted that the waiver is valid for 2 years only at the named school.

Should a teacher work for 1 year at a school, then work at another school for 1 year........that is the two 'waivers' used now. You are unlikely to get a 3rd 'waiver'.....(at Bangkok Immy that is) unless you are enrolled on an appropriate course.

Edited by Phatcharanan

The school I work at received this communique from the OPEC on Friday. The same communique has gone out to all schools in the private sector. Note how there is no mention yet of costs. :)

Thank you very much for this, Phatcharanan. I guess the OBEC will come with this soon for government schools.

There are two things that caught my eyes. First of all the re-introduction or re-activation of the Graduate Diploma in Teaching Profession Course (sic) and the tone that the OPEC is the party for standards and licensing for teachers in Thailand as opposed to The Teachers' Council of Thailand.

Concerning content of the communique, there's no real news on the horizon.

Surprised they want you to have a TL (waiver). Immirgation doesn't allow you to extend your stay based on volunteering? Which immigration office is this.

I know Nan immigration wants a volunteer teacher to have a TL (waiver) but assumed that was an exception. The rules do allow for an extension of stay based on volunteering.

I hadn't considered trying for a visa based on volunteer. I assume the Labour Office need to see a valid TL or waiver upopn renew/extension, but even if I could get both visa and WP, I would still be technically illegal as I understand it.........................

Announcement

Graduate Diploma in Teaching

The Office of the Private Education Commission (OPEC), Ministry of Education has informed the school that they will offer the last chance for all teachers who do not have an Education Degree to apply for a Graduate Diploma in Teaching Profession (a one year course). The OPEC will take the names of all teachers who intend to take the course from the school. Then they will assign local universities to open the course.

Note:

-

For a person who does not have a degree in education and wishes to work as a teacher in Thailand, the school has to submit the document to OPEC which will issue a document stated that the named person is allowed to work as a teacher in Thailand (a letter of waiver). The letter will allow that person to work with the school for 2 years.

To acquire the 2nd letter, the teacher has to show the OPEC that they make an effort to work toward getting a teacher license by doing one of the following

a) taking Thai Culture Course (20 hours) which is currently suspended,

b. taking the test provided by the Ministry of Education or studying for an Education Degree

c) taking a graduate diploma course in Teaching profession (a one year course)

d) studying for any degree (Bachelor, Master or Doctorate) in education field

-

In order to apply for a Thai teacher license the teacher has to

a) Either have a degree in Education or have a bachelor degree in related field and graduated from a course at least one year long in

teaching profession (the course offered by university approved by

Ministry of Education)

b. Completed a 20-hour Thai culture course

It should be noted that the waiver is valid for 2 years only at the named school.

Should a teacher work for 1 year at a school, then work at another school for 1 year........that is the two 'waivers' used now. You are unlikely to get a 3rd 'waiver'.....(at Bangkok Immy that is) unless you are enrolled on an appropriate course.

Can Forum Members inform me if a CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching by Cambridge Universty) is an acceptable Certificate to obtain a position in a Thai Govt school. Or even a Private school?

Thanks

I hadn't considered trying for a visa based on volunteer. I assume the Labour Office need to see a valid TL or waiver upopn renew/extension, but even if I could get both visa and WP, I would still be technically illegal as I understand it.........................

I think so, NotEinstein. According to the 2011 rules for the application of a work permit, applicants need to submit one of the following documents issued by The Teachers' Council of Thailand: the teacher license, guarantee letter, permission letter for teaching without a license, receipt letter that the teacher license is in process or a paper of defining exemption of license (sic).

Edited by aidenai

What the labour office wants to see depends on them, most are very helpful and will take into consideration that you are a volunteer.

Labour office decides on the WP, immigration on the permission to stay. If both say yes, there is nothing illegal.

What the labour office wants to see depends on them, most are very helpful and will take into consideration that you are a volunteer.

Labour office decides on the WP, immigration on the permission to stay. If both say yes, there is nothing illegal.

So is it a fact that a TCT licence or waiver is not a legal requirement to teach in Thailand?

If so, and I manage to renew my WP, I can ignore TCT saying that I cannot be licenced to teach?

So is it a fact that a TCT licence or waiver is not a legal requirement to teach in Thailand?

If so, and I manage to renew my WP, I can ignore TCT saying that I cannot be licenced to teach?

If you have an extension of temporary stay issued by Immigration and you have a work permit for being a teacher at a particular educational institute, you can ignore The Teachers' Council of Thailand.

Although the requirements "belong" on the level of school administrators, the TCT requirements are currently enforced by Immigration and by Labour.

I don't know if there is a legal requirement for teachers to have a TL or not, but so far only immigraiton and labour seemed to be concerned about this.

In any case, there is no policy on volunteers, making it a bit of a gray area. But I suspect that the teachers council will not have a problem with volunteers without a teaching license. Generally volunteers at schools are welcomed and apreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

So after having said that they would review my case and call back, being aware of the urgency, 8 days later the TCT responded stating that they would grant me an extension upon receipt of :

copy of passport (every page)

statement of education

copy of marriage certificate - why????

photo

copy of contract

This is one full week too late to be of any use as my WP expires on Sunday, leaving no time for the exchange of paperwork.

So if anyone else attempts to help a government school, when applying for a TL waiver from TCT, the school will have to chase them, because if they reject the request, they don't seem to inform.

And if the school manages to speak to someone and they do reconsider, they will probably sit on it for at least a week.

Edited by NotEinstein