3G And Ipad And "Tethered" Questions

Khon Baan Nok

I've gone through this forum and not found answers (that I can understand) to the following four questions:

1. I live in Thailand, though I go to the US once or twice a year. In Thailand, I spend much time in Bangkok but a sizeable amount of time either on the move or in rural areas. If I buy an IPad 2 for use primarily in Thailand, is there any advantage to paying extra for the 3G capability? In other words, can I get connectivity in the baan nok without a wireless connection.

2. If I buy an IPad2 in the US, with 3G, will the 3G work in Thailand, or do I have to get it "unlocked" or whatever the right phrase is?

3. I have a cell phone subscription with AIS, and for which I pay extra for data connections. I use a Nokia E71. Is it possible to use that phone and the internet access I'm already paying for to give my laptop accessibility from the rural areas? How do you do that, and do I need something extra? (Using a Vaio 125 FH with Win 7 Enterprise). Is that what "tethering" is?

4. Can my existing phone subscription with AIS be used both with my E71 cell phone and as a 3G connection with an IPad2? Or do I need a separate number? How much do you pay extra for 3G capacity?

Sorry, that's more than 4 questions, but it is four "topics".

Obviously I'm not very familiar with this particular technology, and I offer apologies for the lameness of these questions.

Tks for your help.

S.

1. Yes, Yes.3G: in Bangkok, and soon, more provinces, 2G: GPRS/EDGE in remote areas.

2. Yes, it will work, no, you do not have to have it unlocked.

3. Yes, you can use the E71’s modem, connected via Bluetooth or USB as a dial-up modem from your PC. Maybe use Nokia/OVI Suite as a user interface. Some people call that tethering. You could also use that same SIM, by inserting it in the iPad.

4. Yes, you can share a SIm between the two devices, the iPad does use a microSIM, but I think you can use a microSIM in a regular SIM slot. True and TOT have 3G in metro-Bangkok now. Plans vary by data usage.

Do you know how much data you might use? Do you have any budget limits?

I might get a True 3G microSIM for the iPad and a AIS/One-2-Call SIM with data for 2G on the E71.

Edited by lomatopo

1. Yes, Yes.3G: in Bangkok, and soon, more provinces, 2G: GPRS/EDGE in remote areas.

2. Yes, it will work, no, you do not have to have it unlocked.

3. Yes, you can use the E71’s modem, connected via Bluetooth or USB as a dial-up modem from your PC. Maybe use Nokia/OVI Suite as a user interface. Some people call that tethering. You could also use that same SIM, by inserting it in the iPad.

4. Yes, you can share a SIm between the two devices, the iPad does use a microSIM, but I think you can use a microSIM in a regular SIM slot. True and TOT have 3G in metro-Bangkok now. Plans vary by data usage.

http://www.thaivisa....-service-plans/

Do you know how much data you might use? Do you have any budget limits?

I might get a True 3G microSIM for the iPad and a AIS/One-2-Call SIM with data for 2G on the E71.

As above, but for 4 you can go to AIS and get an additional micro SIM card for your iPhone4/iPad/iPad2 that uses your current account and data plan. I think it costs and additional 200 baht a month, but the card itself is free and they can do it while you wait, takes about 10 minutes in and out. With AIS, you can have up to 5 sim cards using the same number and plan.

FG, good info on the second sim. I think that price is far cheaper than at the start of the year. Does the sim in the phone have to be disabled while using the ipad one, though (would defeat the purpose, but thats how multi sim used to work). Fantastic if not.

FG, good info on the second sim. I think that price is far cheaper than at the start of the year. Does the sim in the phone have to be disabled while using the ipad one, though (would defeat the purpose, but thats how multi sim used to work). Fantastic if not.

I switched to True first, so I do not have first hand experience, but, they told me that you could use both simultaneously.

If you're out in the boonies AIS is probably a better idea. 200 baht extra to share the SIM data plan is a great deal if that's true.... that would be brilliant. A similar "partner" tariff at True costs 600 I believe, only marginally less than full price. Granted, with True you don't share the data plan meaning you get an additional 5GB download at 3G speeds... but AFAIK with AIS it's always EDGE, and unlimited for 999 baht / month.

True has bad coverage in the countryside. They are in the process of rolling out 3G nationwide (paid off CAT basically) but again will probably be a while until it hits the smaller villages.

Edit: If you are often in areas with 3G coverage True 3G is leaps and bounds faster than EDGE, it doesn't compare.

Edited by nikster

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

I just got an AIS micro NET SIM for iPad 3 G,, how can I check the balance on it?

The lady in the shop said" take it out and put it in a iPhone to check"

I hope Theres an easier way than that!!!

Hi guys

I just got an AIS micro NET SIM for iPad 3 G,, how can I check the balance on it?

I believe AIS has an iPhone/Pad app that gives you account info

Hi guys

Thanks do you have any idea the name of the app is?

Ive looked but can only find chat apps

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Thanks do you have any idea the name of the app is?

Ive looked but can only find chat apps

Try this below:

http://www.ais.co.th/iphone/th/appstore/AppDetail.aspx?id=13ceaf30-8c2c-4543-9496-34c92387115b

Edited by sfokevin