A Farang Living In Thailand

Beetlejuice

The "Thai culture" that farangs supposedly don't understand has nothing to do with ancient curry recipes.

It's how to behave, dress, speak, carry oneself, and know one's place in the hierarchy.

To the contrary, Thai gastronomy is a very important part of Thai culture.

Thai food may be (is) an important facet of Thai culture --- ancient curry recipes are not. In fact the habits around eating are central to most cultures, but you simply don't need to know much about haggis to be culturally aware in Scotland :)

Richard nails it with how to behave, speak, carry oneself etc ....

I think there is a confusion here with the terms etiquette and culture.

Culture is wide definition and depending how you use it, encompasses - food, religion, architecture, social structure, history. Just about everything that defines a society and how it is different from others.

When talking about etiquette it is quite specific to the different sub cultures that exist within the Thai social "culture".

Neither 'ouch' or funny. But everyone to their own.

I've no doubt you're right that all those Westerners who have lived here for 20 odd years think in Thai.

They think that lying is OK (not white lies, but lying to gain an advantage) and are proud to rip other people off if they gain a financial advantage....

I'm obviously meeting the wrong sort of long term ex-pat :rolleyes: who still has Western values about lying and trust.

Some people aren't cut out for living abroad and since they can't blame their own decision making skills, they blame anyone and everyone else.

I have seen you directly refer to the wive's of expats as hookers ... and now your references to Thais in the post above .... I am amazed you choose to stay in a place where you seem to look down on everyone.

Once again, you're obviously right....

Yes, I believe that anyone who marries for money is a hooker and anyone who believes their young 'lady' loves them is a fool.

Obviously you are unable to understand that I stay here because I live in my idea of paradise. The people I meet or have to deal with are a secondary consideration.

LOL ... Yes I can see the reflection of a content and happy life in every post you make about Thailand, Westerners and Thai people! Absolute paradise!

I am glad to know since I "married up" in that my BF makes more than me and his family has a higher net-worth than mine, that in YOUR eyes I would be a 'hooker'. Strangely, we are together for the oddest of reasons ... love, friendship, mutual respect, common interests, great conversations. Sex and attraction were a large part at first -- but now I would say that all of the other reasons far outweigh sex and attraction.

I guess that possibly you have absolutely everything you desire and deserve ... and that your looking down on Thais and Westerners that marry Thais improves your life in some meaningful way! Good on you!

Do you honestly not know that the average Western/ Thai relationship here involves an old man with a young girl (that is earning nothing compared to him)??

Funnily enough I finally have the life I always wanted (although obviously you think I don't deserve it :rolleyes:).

I'm sorry but I'm just 100% honest and always have been.

That younger girls can not love an older man is crazy, Either you have very little life experience or just experience with bar girls. Nonsense, lies and nonsense.

We all have our happy fantasies. Years ago I was recommended to move to real life, but I declined, and I'm not sure I'd fit in now

SC

EDIT: No change - couldn't think of anything nice to add...

Edited by StreetCowboy

That younger girls can not love an older man is crazy, Either you have very little life experience or just experience with bar girls. Nonsense, lies and nonsense.

I'm a realist and understand that couples with a large age difference are rarely together 'cos the young one is in love... Other than the love of money of course.

Some people aren't cut out for living abroad and since they can't blame their own decision making skills, they blame anyone and everyone else.

I have seen you directly refer to the wive's of expats as hookers ... and now your references to Thais in the post above .... I am amazed you choose to stay in a place where you seem to look down on everyone.

Once again, you're obviously right....

Yes, I believe that anyone who marries for money is a hooker and anyone who believes their young 'lady' loves them is a fool.

Obviously you are unable to understand that I stay here because I live in my idea of paradise. The people I meet or have to deal with are a secondary consideration.

LOL ... Yes I can see the reflection of a content and happy life in every post you make about Thailand, Westerners and Thai people! Absolute paradise!

I am glad to know since I "married up" in that my BF makes more than me and his family has a higher net-worth than mine, that in YOUR eyes I would be a 'hooker'. Strangely, we are together for the oddest of reasons ... love, friendship, mutual respect, common interests, great conversations. Sex and attraction were a large part at first -- but now I would say that all of the other reasons far outweigh sex and attraction.

I guess that possibly you have absolutely everything you desire and deserve ... and that your looking down on Thais and Westerners that marry Thais improves your life in some meaningful way! Good on you!

Do you honestly not know that the average Western/ Thai relationship here involves an old man with a young girl (that is earning nothing compared to him)??

Funnily enough I finally have the life I always wanted (although obviously you think I don't deserve it :rolleyes:).

I'm sorry but I'm just 100% honest and always have been.

I honestly know that most marriages including those in the West that are not 2 income families are the way you describe them here. Some have vast age differences and some large age differences and some less large age differences. That the age difference is the big issue for you, most likely comes from personal experiences, no? If you were 100% honest then I don't think you would be talking about your Western friends that have been here 20+ years as they are more than likely married to people younger than themselves. I can only assume you keep silent about your disdain about their relationships.

Personally, I know many men who have younger wives and I wouldn't describe those women as hookers --- then again I wouldn't describe Thai people the way you describe them repeatedly. Some of these guys have "stay-at-home" wives and some have wives that work. Some of them are retired and some of them still work. There are many reasons a Thai woman would pick a foreigner, even one that is 20+ years older than them, that have little or nothing to do with money and everything to do with how they are treated.

I do think you deserve the life you get (we all do) ... it is a karma thing for me :)

BTW -- you might describe yourself as a "realist" but that would not be how I describe you. People that stereotype other broad groups of people get a different description !

Maybe Thailand is fed up by Frang that will not integrate into society, farang who insist on living western lifestyles, refuses to learn the language, refuses to comply with visa regulations, etc.

Maybe it will be easier for us farang living here when we begin to correct us by the host's rules and culture.

Thailand has always had big problems with immigrants that cause the country great economic losses and crime.

If you want to make money here so you should have a work permit.

Quite often Thais don't like it if a farang can speak Thai. They have a real yokel mentality

Maybe Thailand is fed up by Frang that will not integrate into society, farang who insist on living western lifestyles, refuses to learn the language, refuses to comply with visa regulations, etc.

Most Thais I know don't really care about Falangs.

Falangs like to think they matter, actually they don't.

I just come back from Paris / France. I learned that around 60 millions foreigners visit Paris every years, that's about the total population of France.

Ask a French what does he think about foreigners. He has no opinion, actually he doesn't give a sh_t.

It's the same with Thais

Maybe it will be easier for us farang living here when we begin to correct us by the host's rules and culture.

Thailand has always had big problems with immigrants that cause the country great economic losses and crime.

That part I definitively agree with

Quite often Thais don't like it if a farang can speak Thai. They have a real yokel mentality

Outside of a bar girl I have never met one who disliked my Thai ability.

Unless, you come across someone who is trying to pull a fast one, I doubt very much that anyone would disdain you speaking their language. I likewise have never come across a Thai that has disliked that I can speak to them in their own language.

Am assuming they performed without permit. In my home country, that would be the case so if the same is done here, i won't call it restriction unless they have permits.

Foreigners will never be accepted in any country. They will be tolerated but NEVER accepted. Even for those who have gained PR or citizenship, there will be times where they will be treated as a foreigner once they have stepped out of their haven which is their adopted hometown here.

That's the crux of things. Nothing to do only with Thailand.

The news today about the restrictions put on farang musicians in Chiang Mai, having them actually arrested and required to appear in court just for playing their music or singing in public, has made me even more aware of how much separated I am from the mainstream of Thai society and of a greater sense of not belonging.

Although over the years I have tried my best to become assimilated into Thai society, I have found because of the us and them attitudes of the Thai leadership and the Thai general public towards Westerners, that this is never going to be possible.

The only place I've heard about this is Pattaya.

Every Thai I have met over 20 years, is impressed that I speak Tha i :)

Most Thais I know don't really care about Falangs.

Falangs like to think they matter, actually they don't.

I just come back from Paris / France. I learned that around 60 millions foreigners visit Paris every years, that's about the total population of France.

Ask a French what does he think about foreigners. He has no opinion, actually he doesn't give a sh_t.

It's the same with Thais

That part I definitively agree with

I thought, probably most of the people who work with farang, or meet many farang.

Typical Thai cares nothing about farang, it is true

The only place I've heard about this is Pattaya.

Every Thai I have met over 20 years, is impressed that I speak Tha i :)

? Is impressed? Or say they are impressed?

Because of the value of face, you can't take things at face value.

SC

You beat me to the punch, Kerry!

Me too ... I was at a small convention today and the foreigners all had their bi-lingual staff there. When I and 2 of my staff were speaking with the Thais they were quite happily surprised that we didn't switch to English to have our conversations. I did (for nuance) reply in English a couple of times,but the bulk of the conversations were simply in Thai.

The only Thai people that have ever shown any discomfort about me knowing Thai were touts/'entertainment' people ;)

jdinasia

I honestly know that most marriages including those in the West that are not 2 income families are the way you describe them here. Some have vast age differences and some large age differences and some less large age differences. That the age difference is the big issue for you, most likely comes from personal experiences, no? If you were 100% honest then I don't think you would be talking about your Western friends that have been here 20+ years as they are more than likely married to people younger than themselves. I can only assume you keep silent about your disdain about their relationships.

Personally, I know many men who have younger wives and I wouldn't describe those women as hookers --- then again I wouldn't describe Thai people the way you describe them repeatedly. Some of these guys have "stay-at-home" wives and some have wives that work. Some of them are retired and some of them still work. There are many reasons a Thai woman would pick a foreigner, even one that is 20+ years older than them, that have little or nothing to do with money and everything to do with how they are treated.

I do think you deserve the life you get (we all do) ... it is a karma thing for me :)

BTW -- you might describe yourself as a "realist" but that would not be how I describe you. People that stereotype other broad groups of people get a different description !

Having lived and worked in England until I was 47, I can honestly say that I only knew one family where the wife didn't work, and I didn't know any with an age difference of more than 8 years.

But we obviously mixed in different circles.

Feel free to continue insulting me, its water off a duck's back.

Having always helped people when they needed help, I find my 'karma' is pretty good.

Edited by F1fanatic

F1 --- please note I have NOT insulted you, even though you have insulted Thais and every Expat with a Thai wife. (I have re-read every post I have made in reply to you before hitting the "post" button to be sure that nothing i post in reply to you is an overt insult simply because I find your statements about Thais, Thai wives of farang etc so offensive. I have referred back to your own experiences that you have posted about to try and show why you show such disdain for Thai women that marry farang, and for the farang that marry Thai women, I still don't understand the disdain you show for Thais in general ... but I think I understand what significantly colors your view of Thai/farang relationships.

Apparently the UK has far fewer families comprised of married couples with children than other places.(statistically just under 20%?) (and more households led by single mothers than any other place in the EU). Looking at UK welfare statistics I can see why some of this happens ....

My mother never worked outside the house, my sister only did for one year after she married(she's 12 years younger than her husband -- they have no kids), my brother's wife works (but limited hours and only to supplement family income for the kids' education fund) ... Growing up only one of my friends had a working mother (she and her husband were both professors at the university). In Thailand it is by far most common that the wife does not work if the family can afford that. (I welcome being corrected on that -- as it is not based upon statistics but personal observation over the years in all parts of Thailand!)

My personal experience being the "son-in-law" in a Thai family is limited as I am not close to the rest of my partner's family. My view of Thai people tends to be overwhelmingly positive but certainly not to the point of thinking that Thais are perfect (or that Thai society could not be improved!) My neighbors don't scam me ... my Thai friends are not leeches .... my farang friends' wives are not hookers (and never have been. Life here is really good for me. There's no way I would live here if I didn't like the people and the culture even though I sometimes find both frustrating. When i do find it frustrating I first look at myself to see why my buttons are being pushed. It usually boils down to me being impatient and thinking things should be done like they were "back home." That makes it my problem --- not a Thai problem :)

Over the many years I've been here, I have come across hundreds of people on TV who can speak Thai.

Unfortunately, they can't seem to be able to speak it anywhere else, other than on TV.

Fluent BS in very common though. :rolleyes:

F1 --- please note I have NOT insulted you, even though you have insulted Thais and every Expat with a Thai wife. (I have re-read every post I have made in reply to you before hitting the "post" button to be sure that nothing i post in reply to you is an overt insult simply because I find your statements about Thais, Thai wives of farang etc so offensive. I have referred back to your own experiences that you have posted about to try and show why you show such disdain for Thai women that marry farang, and for the farang that marry Thai women, I still don't understand the disdain you show for Thais in general ... but I think I understand what significantly colors your view of Thai/farang relationships.

Apparently the UK has far fewer families comprised of married couples with children than other places.(statistically just under 20%?) (and more households led by single mothers than any other place in the EU). Looking at UK welfare statistics I can see why some of this happens ....

My mother never worked outside the house, my sister only did for one year after she married(she's 12 years younger than her husband -- they have no kids), my brother's wife works (but limited hours and only to supplement family income for the kids' education fund) ... Growing up only one of my friends had a working mother (she and her husband were both professors at the university). In Thailand it is by far most common that the wife does not work if the family can afford that. (I welcome being corrected on that -- as it is not based upon statistics but personal observation over the years in all parts of Thailand!)

My personal experience being the "son-in-law" in a Thai family is limited as I am not close to the rest of my partner's family. My view of Thai people tends to be overwhelmingly positive but certainly not to the point of thinking that Thais are perfect (or that Thai society could not be improved!) My neighbors don't scam me ... my Thai friends are not leeches .... my farang friends' wives are not hookers (and never have been. Life here is really good for me. There's no way I would live here if I didn't like the people and the culture even though I sometimes find both frustrating. When i do find it frustrating I first look at myself to see why my buttons are being pushed. It usually boils down to me being impatient and thinking things should be done like they were "back home." That makes it my problem --- not a Thai problem :)

You're right - I just took wishing me bad karma as an insult :lol:.

As I said in my previous post, we obviously mixed in different circles.

I've nothing against Thais in general, although accepting that we have entirely different values.

I'd be the first to admit though that I really don't like people who value money above all else and particularly women who seek out farangs. As you pointed out, I have history in this area but, you will be disappointed to learn that my 'karma' didn't hurt me - unlike my poor husband and his g/f.

@ F1

I never ever would use the term "bad karma" --- karma is .... it isn't good nor bad ... and wishing "karma" on someone is as senseless as tying money to a string attached to a casket (to give good karma to someone already dead) ..... Karma is a result of our own choices and nothing else. I am sorry that you did not understand the concept of karma and my reference to us all getting the life we deserve.

You are correct though -- not only did we mix in different circles back home ... we mix in different circles in Thailand. The Thais I know value family and their close relationships over money --- much the same as my friends back in the West :) My farang friends in Thailand mirror my Thai friends here .. valuing family and close relationships over money ...

So yes --- totally different circles :) I will always say that "some people are just in it for the money" ... but I certainly hope I never get to the point that I use such a broad brush to paint any significant group of people!

Edited by jdinasia

Over the many years I've been here, I have come across hundreds of people on TV who can speak Thai.

Unfortunately, they can't seem to be able to speak it anywhere else, other than on TV.

:lol::lol::lol:

:) I agree! My speaking certainly suffers in comparison to my comprehension! I do, however, also know many people that are approaching true fluency in Thai (or are fluent) ... you won't find most on Loi Khroh ;)

@ F1

I never ever would use the term "bad karma" --- karma is .... it isn't good nor bad ... and wishing "karma" on someone is as senseless as tying money to a string attached to a casket (to give good karma to someone already dead) ..... Karma is a result of our own choices and nothing else. I am sorry that you did not understand the concept of karma and my reference to us all getting the life we deserve.

You are correct though -- not only did we mix in different circles back home ... we mix in different circles in Thailand. The Thais I know value family and their close relationships over money --- much the same as my friends back in the West :) My farang friends in Thailand mirror my Thai friends here .. valuing family and close relationships over money ...

So yes --- totally different circles :) I will always say that "some people are just in it for the money" ... but I certainly hope I never get to the point that I use such a broad brush to paint any significant group of people!

And I'm sorry that I misunderstood.

Fortunately it looks as if I'm getting the "life I deserve" (in my opinion :lol:), unlike my husband and his g/f.....

Like you, I only value people that put relationships before money - so I've no idea why we're arguing!

@ F1

Fortunately it looks as if I'm getting the "life I deserve" (in my opinion :lol:), unlike my husband and his g/f.....

Like you, I only value people that put relationships before money - so I've no idea why we're arguing!

Simply because of how you openly characterize farang/Thai relationships and Thai people as valuing money over all else :)

@ F1

Simply because of how you openly characterize farang/Thai relationships and Thai people as valuing money over all else :)

OK. Can we agree to disagree?

If I had a choice between two ugly women both with nice personalities I would pick the rich one.

Since I know that beauty is only skin deep I get a lot of ugly women both western and Thai.

I really don't find ugly rich women much different in Thailand than in the west. They are definitely nicer than pretty rich women.

I didn't see much sense in dating an ugly dirt poor farmer in Texas and I don't see much reason to date an ugly dirt poor farmer in Issan.

Follow the reasoning. I won't belabor the point.

I won't say that huge age differences won't work but I will say the odds are against it. The younger ladies can put on an act for several months or longer but not for years.

That said, an attractive young lady would have to be stupid to marry ANYONE who doesn't have a pot to pee in. Whether you want to face it or not, a couple can't live on love.

Love/lust is a powerful emotion and mistakes are made often. If my wife didn't think I would be able to support her, I can assure you that she wouldn't have married me. Then again, she wasn't a child bride. It's not a romantic thing for sure but analyzing the future is just common sense.

:lol::lol::lol:

:) I agree! My speaking certainly suffers in comparison to my comprehension! I do, however, also know many people that are approaching true fluency in Thai (or are fluent) ... you won't find most on Loi Khroh ;)

I know of none farang who can speak Fluent Thai, but I have met maybe 3-4 people over 22 years who can speak good Thai. The reason is that I rarely go in entertainment places and farang bars. :)