Ecomonkol Village 4 Soi Kao Talo

FarangBuddha

I lived on Eakmongkol 4, Soi Khoatalo for the best part of six years and enjoyed my stay there.

I never owned a house there as i'm one of those expats that believes that rental in Thailand is a far better proposition than purchase with Thai law as it stands.

Resale on the estate is very poor, in the time i lived there i never saw one single property sold and in my Soi alone a good 30% were either for sale or rent.

As on every estate in Thailand dogs can be a real pain roaming the Soi's (overnight) howling, barking, fighting and turning over trash bins.

But...................This is Thailand and you have to learn to live with the problems or go and live in the mountains.

My advice is to rent a house on the estate to get a feel of the place and which Soi you feel is better than the next, then decide if you want to buy or not.

Hi,

When I'm in Thailand I live there with my wife. We have a house there and I find the Estate pretty handy. The upside is that it is close to most things, there is good mix of people and fairly quiet.

The downside is that some transients do not seem to care for others. Case in point is a new renting resident who has 3 dogs that bark loud and long enough to get under my skin. Lately the Garbage collection has been irregular which is causing a concern and the Estate is in the transformation into town water supply, which has cause a few headaches with supply.

I concur with the OP and rent first. However I have noticed the increase in retail/Bars and development which would for my part see an increase in house purchase costs.

Hope this helps, I call it home.

Hi,

When I'm in Thailand I live there with my wife. We have a house there and I find the Estate pretty handy. The upside is that it is close to most things, there is good mix of people and fairly quiet.

The downside is that some transients do not seem to care for others. Case in point is a new renting resident who has 3 dogs that bark loud and long enough to get under my skin. Lately the Garbage collection has been irregular which is causing a concern and the Estate is in the transformation into town water supply, which has cause a few headaches with supply.

I concur with the OP and rent first. However I have noticed the increase in retail/Bars and development which would for my part see an increase in house purchase costs.

http://soikhaotalo.com/

Hi,

http://soikhaotalo.com/

He...that's my website.....lol,but not really finshed,too busy whit other things,

But about the topic:

If your on a budget you can find a townhouse at eakmongkol 4 for about 1000.000 bath,2 bedroom,kitchen,carport,ect.only most of these townhouses are old,have rats at nighttime,no water sometimes,so you need to buy a waterbox,many dogs,security that......hmmm......they only wear the security clothes...but i think nobody has ever did any course or what,if i want to drive out the this park whit an lcd screen in my hand,nobody will ask me anything and i just drive true the gate.

Now there are also bigger houses,and newer inside eakmongkol4.of course more expensive.

But there are many new projects in and around the darkside .

porchland is one of them,just piick your car or bike and drive around the darkside you'll will find a lot of new houses for reasonable prices,in pattaya you still pay for the location,but soi khao talo is growing day by day,and to tell the truth...

it makes khao talo grow!!

kind regards

Nice website Kamluan --- found some place I will visit.

Bought a home for my Thai wife and 2 kids 3 years ago. The house cost more than some other villages I looked at, but I liked the location. My wife got a quick loan at the bank for around 80% with no problem. The village is quiet, streets are clean and the people friendly. I am happy with my purchase.

It is what I would call a Thai village. Noise, soi dogs, no security, houses built by people who have a very different idea about house design. I would suggest looking around a bit more. There really are some very nice villages around if you look carefully.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Let me preface that I have lived on the Farside for many years (renting) and have been thinking of buying for a number of reasons. So I am familiar with the choices in the various price ranges in the area. I have rented in and have friends who have bought in various SP Villages and they seem to be well managed, with mostly good neighbors (Thai and farang). However, the price-points at those villages are higher so it sorta self-selects for a certain class of resident. I am currently in one of the smaller Ratanakorn villages on NPW and have been quite happy here for many years. I did just happen to see an advert for a home at Ekamonkol 4 that looked nice so went to have a look.

The house itself showed very nice and is owned by a long-time expat businessman (non-real estate) in town. One of the basic 3 bedroom houses had been nicely remodeled (inside and out), and even had a guest-house and small jacuzzi/pool fitted on a land size of maybe 75-80 TW. Of course, the neighboring house appeared to be abandoned, with long-grass and weeds that hadn't been cut in months/years? (Sorta like many homes in Las Vegas and Arizona back in the States :lol:).

Driving around the village, it was huge...and seems to connect internally to the adjacent village down the hill. As posted, there is a variety of home-types, with some nicely renovated and well-kept and others in various states of disrepair or abandoned.

In any case, was wondering more about the management of the village...is it self-governing or still managed by the developers? Also, I read once that there were water problems at some of the Ekomonkol villages because the developer elected not to connect to the city water supply so he could drill his own wells and sell over-priced water to his buyers (sort like the old trick of marking-up electricity charges in condos and apartment rentals). It seems from one post that this is being changed, and that city water is now the norm.

Like any home purchase in LOS, you do your best to scope out the village/neighborhood but you always discover good and bad things only after you after moved in. Thanks again for the replies.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Not true. I could point out several villages without soi dogs, including where I live. If there are soi dogs in the village, management obviously don't care. This is very typical of villages where the builder is holding on to the village management. Those villages usually have other problems than that; anyone coming and going at leisure, lax security and resulting burglaries, etc. Few people think about this when they buy a house but I think if you're buying a house in a village, the village management should be one of your key concerns.

Not true. I could point out several villages without soi dogs, including where I live. If there are soi dogs in the village, management obviously don't care. This is very typical of villages where the builder is holding on to the village management. Those villages usually have other problems than that; anyone coming and going at leisure, lax security and resulting burglaries, etc. Few people think about this when they buy a house but I think if you're buying a house in a village, the village management should be one of your key concerns.

I agree, my village doesn't have stray dogs and all resident's dogs must be walked on a lead and any mess cleared up. General management and security are, in my opinion, the most important things to look at before moving in.