Retirement Visa

My retirement visa comes up for renewal next week and i have heard the requirements have changed.Apart from needing photos,copy of bank statements,copy of passport and bank verification of 800,000 baht does anyone know of anything else that will be rquired?

Relax, it looks like you've covered all the bases and no, I don't believe the rules have changed. I renewed/extended my retirement visa in Phuket during early May and it was yet again very easy and very quick. Make sure the 800k has been seasoned for three months, get copies of bank books or statements covering the past twelve months, a recent (within one or two days at most) bank letter confirming balances etc and then be prepared to make endless photocopies of passport pages and away you go, you should be in and out in an hour at this time of year in Phuket.

You will ned a copy of your passport's photo page, visa page, previous extension, departure card and 90 day report pages. If you want a re- entry permit while you're there, you will need to go and make a copy of your new extension, plus a photo and the form and 1,000 Baht for a single re-entry, If your address is the same as it has been on your 90 day reports you shouldn't need anything to prove your address. I bring it, but they don't want to look at it...

90 day address reports are not passport stamps and have never even had mine looked at during an extension of stay process; much less a copy required. But perhaps a local office might - is this a specific requirement in Phuket?

You have my deepest sympathy and that is why someone mentione the word "RELAX",the whole process is degrading and depressing and every year i struggle with my self respect wether i want to continue living in this paranoia..

You have my deepest sympathy and that is why someone mentione the word "RELAX",the whole process is degrading and depressing and every year i struggle with my self respect wether i want to continue living in this paranoia..

Why is it degrading and depressing. Have all of your paper work together and present to immigration officer. From my experience if you meet the requirements and everything is filled in properly you walk out with a one year extension of stay

i feel like a criminal from the lower end of society,reporting 90 days feels like probation and in 3 months time i go up for renewal and i already feel the heat We are financially self sufficient retirees, not dangerous criminals.this is middle ages scenario or maybe israel.

Edited by dafyduck

i feel like a criminal from the lower end of society,reporting 90 days feels like probation and in 3 months time i go up for renewal and i already feel the heat We are financially self sufficient retirees, not dangerous criminals.this is middle ages scenario or maybe israel.

Its nothing to what thais have to do in the UK.Just be thankful you dont have to go through that process.I find it very straight forward here .All the right documents and it is a very quick process.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of my went to Phuket immigration for his yearly retirement extension and re-entry permit.

He was in the office for max 20 min and received all the stamps, extension etc.

When you have the money and copies you should not have a problem at all.

A friend of my went to Phuket immigration for his yearly retirement extension and re-entry permit.

He was in the office for max 20 min and received all the stamps, extension etc.

When you have the money and copies you should not have a problem at all.

Agreed.

Based on 30+ pages of posts in the main TV thread on the subject, the reports of some changes to the retirement extensions process appear to be unfounded (translate that as "false"), at least based on various TV member reports from the past week or two since the original report surfaced.

I renewed mine in Jomtien on Monday, 15 minutes max, you need 2 photos now, if you are doing visa on "income" as I did, no letter from bank required.

I did mine at Jomtien last week.

2 photos, photocopies of the various pages of the passport, passport, bank book showing balance over 800K, recent letter from bank confirming that the attached copy of the bank book was exact (this cost me 100Baht, including the photocopy), completed form, 1900Baht, 15 minutes in and out. Returned a couple of hours later to pick up the passport. No waiting at all.

I second that.

My son married a Thai two years ago and they moved to his birth country.

They got one police visit to check they were effectively living together (checking bath room, clothes), no further hassle from the authorities, his wife is allowed to work, buy land, buy house, has social security, will get a pension, free to move to any EC country, can ask for nationalization after living there 10 years etc etc.

We here have nothing of that, no rights whatsoever, most certainly NOT any respect :annoyed:

I renewed mine in Jomtien on Monday, 15 minutes max, you need 2 photos now, if you are doing visa on "income" as I did, no letter from bank required.

Obviously the photographic business is not bringing in enough of the folding stuff. Immigration have photographs of me going back yonks plus two or three videos so improving the revenue looks the likely reason. Shades of the bad old days of Soi 8 when they required black and white photos and the only place in town to get them was just outside the office. No need to ask who owned the place.

When will Immigration learn to use all the facilities that PC's and the Internet provide?