3G News & Developments

Hmmm, so collusion is encouraged, in some cases? whistling.gif

INTERIM VOICE SERVICE FEE

3G bid winners, NBTC panel to meet re ceiling

Sirivish Toomgum

The Nation

November 7, 2012 1:00 am

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission's telecom committee has instructed officials to discuss the setting of an interim maximum voice-service tariff with the three bid winners of 2.1-gigahertz spectrum slots.

The telecom committee will ask the bid winners to collaborate on the interim maximum tariff as a means of giving some of the benefits gained back to society, said panel chairman Settapong Malisuwan.

The NBTC office recently said it was targeting the maximum voice and data 3G service tariff of the bid winners at between 15 and 20 per cent lower than the present rate.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/3G-bid-winners-NBTC-panel-to-meet-re-ceiling-30193775.html

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

INTERIM VOICE SERVICE FEE

3G bid winners, NBTC panel to meet re ceiling

Sirivish Toomgum

The Nation

November 7, 2012 1:00 am

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission's telecom committee has instructed officials to discuss the setting of an interim maximum voice-service tariff with the three bid winners of 2.1-gigahertz spectrum slots.

The telecom committee will ask the bid winners to collaborate on the interim maximum tariff as a means of giving some of the benefits gained back to society, said panel chairman Settapong Malisuwan.

The NBTC office recently said it was targeting the maximum voice and data 3G service tariff of the bid winners at between 15 and 20 per cent lower than the present rate.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/3G-bid-winners-NBTC-panel-to-meet-re-ceiling-30193775.html

What a load of crap. Thailand has some of the lowest cost per min plans, and the cost per MHz was comparatively expensive.

No sane company would roll out a 900 MHz 3G network. Cause it a non standard frequency

900MHz non-standard? 900 isn't going away anytime soon, it's very much as "standard" a frequency as 850. USA and a few others use 850/1900/2100 and pretty much the rest of the world uses 900/1800/2100.

You'd need to be insane to try to do a nationwide 2100MHz network, the number of towers you'd need would be ridiculous.

It's primary use is for very high density areas where you need to support the maximum number of users per km2. Its limited range, and inability to penetrate obstacles mean you need a far higher number of smaller cells than with conventional cells - which are relatively easy to deploy in metropolitan areas but out of the question in rural and remote areas where you'd need to quadruple your tower density.

900 isn't going away anytime soon,

Here in Thailand, AIS's 900 MHz concession ends in 2015.

It would be incredibly stupid to stop 3G on 900 MHz. But in all reality even in most western countries it doesn't seem to become standard. 2100 MHz looks like the preferred frequency even though it totally sucks for indoor reception. With LTE is promises to become even worse with widely varying frequencies on the globe.

900 isn't going away anytime soon,

Here in Thailand, AIS's 900 MHz concession ends in 2015.

It would be incredibly stupid to stop 3G on 900 MHz. But in all reality even in most western countries it doesn't seem to become standard. 2100 MHz looks like the preferred frequency even though it totally sucks for indoor reception. With LTE is promises to become even worse with widely varying frequencies on the globe.

Over to you BOBL

You'd need to be insane to try to do a nationwide 2100MHz network, the number of towers you'd need would be ridiculous.

Well then, welcome to the insane asylum... Because that's exactly what is being planned here in LOS.

Though it does appear that, at least for the short term and as long as the Big 3 hold onto their existing 850 and 900 Mhz frequencies now used for their existing 3G services, that they plan to continue running 3G there for who knows how long... even alongside the 2100 Mhz services if and when they're launched.

It is kind of interesting that in all the news media hype about the planned 2100 Mhz regime, there's been some discussion about how that band will give the providers better efficiencies in terms of customer loading. But I've seen next to nothing in the media about the operational/performance differences between 2100 vs 950/900 regarding signal range and signal strength/penetration inside buildings, for example.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Well then, welcome to the insane asylum... Because that's exactly what is being planned here in LOS.

Covering 50% of the POPULATION (not geography) in two years, and 80% of the POPULATION (not geography) in four years is one of the requirements for all three 2100 MHz auction winners. Whether you consider this to be a "nationwide" network is certainly open for discussion but most sane people would consider that to be a nationwide network.

There are a lot of population density maps available for Thailand - I suspect you'll notice the concentrations?

It should not be a problem to service 80% of the population with 2100 MHz, DTAC has committed to meeting the requirements in half the required time. But then they must be "insane"? tongue.png

Edited by lomatopo

It should not be a problem to service 80% of the population with 2100 MHz, DTAC has committed to meeting the requirements in half the required time. But then they must be "insane"? tongue.png

Nicely taken out of context, thinly veiled ad hominem. Of course I meant nationwide geographical coverage which given the relatively small size of a 2100 cell, would be insane/impossible.

And yes, for 2100 I'd expect they wouldn't have much trouble covering 80% of the population in 4 years - it's a pretty unambitious target considering there's already been 85%+ (population) mobile penetration (GSM, not necessarily 3g) in Thailand for almost 5 years as it is.

But if you're taking bets on whether Thailand won't still be using all of 900/1800/2100 (or 850/1900/2100) in 2-4 years, I'll take that bet. Given TIT I wouldn't be shocked if they lobbed 1700 onto the battlefield at some point also... Why stick to one set of standards when you can screw up several.

AIS has 900 MHz (from TOT) and 1800 MHz (DPC from CAT) concessions ending in 2015. In theory those networks, including equipment and spectrum, could be turned over to the concession holders who could then choose to operate them as is, or even sell them outright. However, the NBTC may say that the spectrum must be returned to them, perhaps for sale, auction or outright award. Stay tuned.

True Mobile has an 1800 MHz concession from CAT which expires in September, 2013. The NBTC is expecting that spectrum to be returned to them for auction, sale or award. (I think TrueMove’s “trial” 850 MHz 3G network was operated on spectrum “owned” by CAT.)

DTAC has 1800 MHz and 850 MHz concessions from CAT which expire in 2018. When/if(?) DTAC deploys 2100 MHz 3G they will start to re-farm 1800 MHz for LTE/4G.

Ok where are all the guys now saying the whole world has 4G... (BBC Article today )

Ofcom outlines 4G bid timetable

4G networks mean far greater internet speeds while on the move

New fourth generation (4G) mobile services in the UK could be launched by next June, under a timetable set out by the UK communications regulator.

Ofcom said firms interested in bidding for 4G mobile spectrum must submit their application by 11 December........

Apparently the UK is already starting 4G networks. It was in the news today that more and more people have problems with TV reception as a result of 4G interference in the low band of 900 MHz. And also in Holland plans exist to use some of the higher old TV frequencies around 800 MHz for 4G. Apparently low frequencies aren't being abandoned at all. Now let's just hope we won't need extra expensive quad (or more) band 4G phones just to be able to go online when traveling abroad often.

FWIW, TOT have effectively built out a nation-wide 2100 MHz 3G network already, with ~ 5,200 base-stations. I think their plans to increase that figure have been approved, and may be required as part of their new deals with MVNOs SIM Plus (SAMART iMobile Plus, a new brand) and Loxley, and to potentially increase their roaming agreement with AIS.

http://icoverage.tot3g.net/

post-9615-0-44937900-1352765765_thumb.jp

I don't know if this has changed or will change for the future....

But back when I had I-Mobile 3G service in BKK until a year or so ago, using their service in BKK meant that not only did your data go over TOT's 2100 Mhz network but so did your voice calls. I-Mobile didn't have any separate GSM band or service for regular voice calls.

So what that meant was, anytime you lost your 3G connection with I-Mobile, you also lost your ability to make and receive phone calls, which was a pain. They did have roaming for voice calls via AIS when outside of BKK, but not when in BKK, which ultimately was one of the factors that led me to drop their service.

The other factor -- pertinent to the current discussion re the coming 3G 2100 Mhz services from the Big 3 telcoms -- was that every time I went to the large hospital where my GF at the time was working, I'd often lose the I-Mobile 3G signal entirely. Walk outside and it would be fine. Walk inside and dead. Yet I could get AIS 3G on 900 Mhz and TrueMove H on 850 Mhz inside without any problem.

The other factor -- pertinent to the current discussion re the coming 3G 2100 Mhz services from the Big 3 telcoms -- was that every time I went to the large hospital where my GF at the time was working, I'd often lose the I-Mobile 3G signal entirely. Walk outside and it would be fine. Walk inside and dead. Yet I could get AIS 3G on 900 Mhz and TrueMove H on 850 Mhz inside without any problem.

DTAC and TrueMove with 1800 MHz GSM services might be similarly challenged with in-building penetration? Attenuation generally increases as one goes further into a building and decreases as one goes up higher in a building.

And hospitals do have a lot of medical equipment which may cause interference on select frequencies, which may be one reason why medical facilities restrict the general public use of mobiles there?

There are obviously solutions for locations which can be challenging: micro-cells for example. It looks like some/all of the MRT stations have these now?

Or more succinctly, it's a mess. Stay tuned. tongue.png

No more so than in the U.S.

Edited by lomatopo

Now go to an area that has towers but isn't too dense to see what you're doing, zoom in a bit and click "3g signal". Notice how small an area they cover? I'm as close to their Mae Taeng tower (as the crow flies) as I am to anybody else's tower, I can 'see' AIS (2G), DTAC (2G) and True(2G)/CAT/TrueH(3G) but not a snowball's chance in hell of seeing TOT 3G - hence my previous comment about the madness of trying to cover rural areas with 'only' these frequencies.

DTAC and TrueMove with 1800 MHz GSM services might be similarly challenged with in-building penetration? Attenuation generally increases as one goes further into a building and decreases as one goes up higher in a building.

And hospitals do have a lot of medical equipment which may cause interference on select frequencies, which may be one reason why medical facilities restrict the general public use of mobiles there?

Loma, you seem to be missing what I actually said/wrote...

Admittedly a hospital facility with its thick concrete walls and lots of steel isn't an optimal location for cell services. But in that environment, my AIS and True Move H data reception was fine. It was only IMobile 3G on 2100 Mhz that died out. Yet when I walked outside, it was fine.

That seems to point to the issue of 2100 Mhz 3G services having weaker in-building performance than their 850 or 900 Mhz brethren.

As for the hospital, inside, people (staff and visitors) use their mobile phones all the time. But generally, they don't want people using mobile phones in the areas where medical equipment is operating.

None of that would explain the differential performance between the I-Mobile 3G on 2100 vs the AIS and True Move H services on 900 and 850 Mhz, respectively.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

FWIW, TOT have effectively built out a nation-wide 2100 MHz 3G network already, with ~ 5,200 base-stations. I think their plans to increase that figure have been approved, and may be required as part of their new deals with MVNOs SIM Plus (SAMART iMobile Plus, a new brand) and Loxley, and to potentially increase their roaming agreement with AIS.

http://icoverage.tot3g.net/

A "nationwide" 2100 Mhz rollout with 5200 Node B 's ( not base stations ) is an interesting concept. True Move on 2g I believe has i believe 8000+ on 1800 mHz with better propagation..... than 2100.

Anyway, we are talking about TOT anyway, so who expects anything of any value from them anyway ? I am still getting a bill from them for a SIM i shut down 18 months back

Edited by skippybangkok

There is a lot of good info. in this TElecom sector report.

Telecom sector

CIMB Securities (Thailand) November 2, 2012 6:01 pm

Telco - Mobile Left hanging on the line UNDERWEIGHT - Downgrade

The risk of a delay in 3G licensing further strengthens our contrarian negative outlook on the sector. In addition to the mismatch between 3G-related costs and benefits, our channel checks also indicate that heated competition would curtail margins in the short-term. Our sector rating falls to Underweight from Neutral following our downgrade of DTAC to Underperform. We believe public pressure for mobile tariff and interconnection rate cuts would also be detrimental to the margin outlook. We would avoid 3G-related stocks (AIS, DTAC and True) but stay invested in Jasmine and Thaicom.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Telecom-sector-30193571.html

Telecom sector

The risk of a delay in 3G licensing further strengthens our contrarian negative outlook on the sector. In addition to the mismatch between 3G-related costs and benefits, our channel checks also indicate that heated competition would curtail margins in the short-term. Our sector rating falls to Underweight from Neutral following our downgrade of DTAC to Underperform. We believe public pressure for mobile tariff and interconnection rate cuts would also be detrimental to the margin outlook. We would avoid 3G-related stocks (AIS, DTAC and True) but stay invested in Jasmine and Thaicom.

http://www.nationmul...r-30193571.html

And the telco stocks rose :)

Many financial analysts have downgraded Thai telecomms for obvious reasons: uncertainty re: concessions, uncertainty re: 2100 MHz auction, NBTC price controls.

Since this report was issued:

ADVANC unchanged at 192

DTAC down from 84.50 to 82.25

True up from 4.90 to 5.05 (big uptick yesterday based on Q3 release - but wireless lost 1.04 billion baht)

(True Wireless has long said they will be profitable in year 201n where n = the current year + 2.wink.png )

I included the report more for the details re: infrastructure, pricing, plans, etc., there is a jobs, investing, finance sub-forum here which is probably a better place to discuss stocks?

Now go to an area that has towers but isn't too dense to see what you're doing, zoom in a bit and click "3g signal". Notice how small an area they cover? I'm as close to their Mae Taeng tower (as the crow flies) as I am to anybody else's tower, I can 'see' AIS (2G), DTAC (2G) and True(2G)/CAT/TrueH(3G) but not a snowball's chance in hell of seeing TOT 3G - hence my previous comment about the madness of trying to cover rural areas with 'only' these frequencies.

I thought we had addressed the issue re: madness, sanity and rural 3G deployments? AFAIK, no service provider has plans to address rural markets with 3G service, nor has any intention offer 100% geographic coverage. Obviously not a lot of customers in the forests, mountains and rice-fields. It seems like TOT has deployed 2100 MHz 3G in those areas where it has a physical presence (tower, power, back-haul) while trying to address the highest concentration of potential customers.

A lot of Thai Visa members live in very remote, rural areas. Many have documented their use of jury-rigged masts, antennas to access GSM and 3G services.

Edited by lomatopo

It seems like TOT has deployed 2100 MHz 3G in those areas where it has a physical presence (tower, power, back-haul) while trying to address the highest concentration of potential customers.

You and I seem to have a differing opinion as to the definition of rural, if Mae Taeng isn't rural I don't know what is. If putting 2100MHz 3G on a tower in Mae Taeng (coverage roughly 2km2 @ -67dBi) vs putting 850MHz 3G (coverage roughly 6km2 @ -67dBi) doesn't seem like madness to you, so be it...

Apparently nobody's explained to Thailand that the proper allocation of frequencies could provide 3G coverage to a considerably higher area (geographically) and a significantly higher percentage (population).

Here's a coverage map for 1900 in the US

post-142120-0-29150800-1352877336_thumb.

Same towers, at 850

post-142120-0-75912200-1352877345_thumb.

You and I seem to have a differing opinion as to the definition of rural, if Mae Taeng isn't rural I don't know what is. If putting 2100MHz 3G on a tower in Mae Taeng (coverage roughly 2km2 @ -67dBi) vs putting 850MHz 3G (coverage roughly 6km2 @ -67dBi) doesn't seem like madness to you, so be it...

Apparently nobody's explained to Thailand that the proper allocation of frequencies could provide 3G coverage to a considerably higher area (geographically) and a significantly higher percentage (population).

TOT cannot install 850 MHz as they don't own that spectrum? To do so would have been "madness". Not exactly hard to figure out why they installed 2100 MHz now is it?

Maybe you should explain how things should work to "Thailand"? whistling.gif

In the U.S.A, AT&T offers 3G on 1900 MHz in some locations and on 850 MHz in other locations, with some overlap - but not the same towers. I suspect that may be what your maps illustrate, but I will stipulate that you get broader coverage, for fewer customers with 850 than 1900 so maybe we can move on?

From the same site you lifted the maps from: http://www.cellguru.net/1900.htm

Which is better, 850 or 1900? In general, you are going to get more performance out of 850 than you are going to get out of 1900 for several reasons. 1. As mentioned earlier, back when the 850 licenses were issued, they had to cover a certain amount of land cover. This required deploying their system throughout many rural areas (not ALL though). 1900 licenses only need to cover up to 67% of the population, and in many cases they don't even have to meet that. 2. The higher the frequency, the shorter the usable range. You need approximately twice as many 1900 MHz towers to cover a given area than 850 MHz towers. Most 1900 MHz towers are in urban and suburban areas. A properly built 1900 system will work as well as a properly built 850 system, but it will likely cost more to deploy and operate. Sometimes 1900 will work better in a city because 1900 MHz signals tend to work better in the middle of the city with large buildings as the shorter wavelength allows the signal to go around corners easier. Also, due to network loading, 850 towers have to be "turned down" in urban areas so as to not overload, so the playing field is leveled. 3. Leaving the technical details aside, it seems that 850 MHz signals penetrate most modern buildings better than 1900 MHz signals. There are many factors involved such as the material of the walls, the proximity of the local cell towers and various other factors. The fact that 850 MHz carriers have been in operation longer and have optimized their coverage is an important factor to consider. If there is a window nearby, chances are that either system will work, assuming that there is some sort of signal available at the window! The bottom line is this: when you try out a service, make sure you bring your phone to all the areas you'll be using to make sure it works where you need it.

T-Mo is re-farming that AT&T 1900 MHz for their 3G customers as a result of the failed merger. clap2.gif

Edited by lomatopo

NBTC seeks telecoms' input on 3G service fees

SIRIVISH TOOMGUM

THE NATION November 14, 2012 1:00 am

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission yesterday asked the three winners of slots on the 2.1-gigahertz spectrum to propose for its consideration on November 30 their views on appropriate fees for third-generation cellular service. The NBTC wants the fees to be as low as practical to benefit consumers. It discussed the matter yesterday with the three winners of its spectrum auction. Representatives of Advanced Wireless Network, Real Future and DTAC Network agreed in principle on maximising benefits to consumers but said more details needed to be worked out.

The NBTC wants fees for both voice and data 3G service to be 15-20 per cent lower than the present rates. It is drawing up regulations to govern the maximum 3G service tariff, which is expected to be completed next year. Meanwhile, the Central Administrative Court will call an urgent inquiry session today with the Ombudsman on the latter's petition to the court to consider whether there was free and fair competition at the NBTC's auction of the 2.1GHz spectrum slots on October 16. The court will also question the NBTC on the case tomorrow.

The Ombudsman petitioned the court last week on the matter, and also sought an injunction to suspend temporarily the NBTC plan to grant licences to the three bid winners. Under the terms of the auction, the commission is to grant the licences within 90 days of approving the bid outcomes. Its telecom committee endorsed the bids on October 18. The NBTC has joined with the International Telecommunication Union to evaluate the outcome of the auction, and will use the evaluation to plan future auctions.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/NBTC-seeks-telecoms-input-on-3G-service-fees-30194266.html

Edited by lomatopo

It seems like TOT has deployed 2100 MHz 3G in those areas where it has a physical presence (tower, power, back-haul) while trying to address the highest concentration of potential customers.

Here's a coverage map for 1900 in the US

post-142120-0-29150800-1352877336_thumb.

Same towers, at 850

post-142120-0-75912200-1352877345_thumb.

My hero !.... someone how knows his stuff. Keep it coming !

NBTC board gets panel report on 3G auction

USANEE MONGKOLPORN

THE NATION November 15, 2012 1:00 am

The 11-member board of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission yesterday acknowledged its telecom committee's report on the outcome of |the October 16 auction of spectrum slots for third-generation cellular service and its progress in issuing the ensuing licences, NBTC secretary-general Takorn Tantasit said.

However, the telecom sector still has to await the Central Administrative Court's ruling on whether the auction involved free and fair competition as required by the Constitution. The Ombudsman petitioned the court on the matter last week.

The court will question the NBTC on the case today, after holding an inquiry session with the Ombudsman yesterday. The NBTC yesterday also asked its members to vote on whether it should consult the Council of State to clarify the authority of its telecom and broadcasting committees in executing their power on behalf of the watchdog.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/NBTC-board-gets-panel-report-on-3G-auction-30194368.html

More "madness". ;)

Samart eyes TOT's second 3G rollout

Sirivish Toomgum

The Nation November 14, 2012 1:00 am

Samart Corp is keen to bid in connection with TOT's planned development of the second phase of its 3G network roll-out, which will cost about Bt30 billion. The state agency, whose new board of directors was appointed last week, is expected to go ahead with the plan to roll out around 10,000 3G base stations in the second phase next year. The board will convene this week to select a chairman.

Last year, the Samart-Loxley consortium won a deal worth Bt15.9 billion from TOT to build up the 3G network in the first phase, totalling 5,320 base-station sites. Samart's share of the contract amounts to Bt10 billion. Samart president Watchai Vilailuck said the consortium now expected to finish the rolling out of only 4,000 sites by year-end, with the remainder being completed in the first half of next year. As present, 3,500 base stations have been set up.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Samart-eyes-TOTs-second-3G-rollout-30194252.html

True Corp PLC reported their Q3 2012 numbers on 13 Nov. On the mobile side it looks like they lost money again: 2.279 Billion Baht on revenues of 12.905 Billion Baht. They were slightly profitable on their monopoly businesses: Pay TV and On-line services.

From the Management Discussion document:

TrueMove H gained approximately 517,000 net adds during 3Q12, taking its subscriber base to 2.5 mn. While the total net adds were lower than True Mobile Group’s original target due to limited mobile numbers available for TrueMove H, the full-year target of postpaid net adds was achieved in 2Q12 with strong momentum continuing in 3Q12. This was attributable to the shift of strategy to focus on acquiring high-value postpaid subscribers which generate significantly higher ARPU than prepaid subscribers.

True Mobile Group ended 3Q12 with 20.3 mn subscribers (17.7 mn at TrueMove, 2.5 mn at TrueMove H, 50,500 at Hutch CDMA). The successful bidding in October 2012 for the 2.1 GHz spectrum license will see True Mobile Group further strengthen its mobile Broadband offering with a combination of services on the 2.1 GHz frequency and CAT’s 850 MHz frequency.

http://true.listedcompany.com/home.html

Telecom sector

http://www.nationmul...r-30193571.html

Thought this was an interesting little nugget re TrueMove H from the CIMB research report Loma posted above:

True is still focused on brand building and customer acquisition mainly on postpaid but management admits that the net add target of 4m by year-end is unlikely to be achieve for two key reasons. Firstly, True missed the rollout plan by half (7k vs. 13k cell sites) and lacked available mobile phone numbers for sale as its relationship with CAT turned sour after CAT's new CEO was appointed.

Secondly, True failed to swiftly transfer millions of high-value voice customers from True Move's 2G/1800MHz system to True Move H's 3G/850MHz system as the domestic roaming scheme would incur hefty interconnection (IC) expenses. Note that True Move has tried but failed to convince the NBTC to amend the IC rate from THB1 per minute to THB0.5 as adopted by True Move H.

These companies always come out with their grand pronouncements of network expansion schedules. But in reality, they rarely seem to meet their own grand plans.