Teaching In Thailand

My ultimate goal right now is to teach in Thailand. I enjoy the culture in Thailand and i want to live there for at least a little bit longer than last time when i just visited. I will have my physical education degree next may, but i understand the market for a good job is kind of hard to get in to. The only experience i have right now is a coaching internship for two football seasons where i was in charge of the lineman and i will student teach for one semester. I want to live in thailand, but i do not want to make 20,000 baht a month. I want to get into an international school. How could i get the qualifications to teach at one of those?

Go and get some real teaching qualifications, speand a few years in your own country getting some real experience then in about 5-10 years look at Thailand if your aspirations are for international schools as they generally employ real teachers...:rolleyes:

If you are so desperate live Thailand then go and teach "English"

There aren't nearly enough teaching jobs in my country.

Go and get some real teaching qualifications, speand a few years in your own country getting some real experience then in about 5-10 years look at Thailand if your aspirations are for international schools as they generally employ real teachers...:rolleyes:

If you are so desperate live Thailand then go and teach "English"

As sourpeel said either teach English at a public school (for the 20,000 per month) or get significant teaching experience first then apply for international school.

At the rates they charge, international schools certainly shouldn't be hiring teaches with no experience; I'd definitely be pissed if i was paying 400,000+ baht a year for some bloke with no experience to be teaching my kid, because he wants to stay in Thailand a "bit longer than last time".

ok so i understand your position and i fully agree. The reason i was under the impression that i could do that is because i have a thai friend who's mother-in-law faked her degree with 0 years of experience and taught at an international school. Maybe sisaket is the way to go for a few years.

20,000 Baht a month???

I have no degree, just a T.E.S.O.L and come this September when I get my next pay rise for 4 years of service I will be earning 53,000+ with a work permit, visa and health insurance.

Take a look around, the jobs are out there.

20,000 Baht a month???

I have no degree, just a T.E.S.O.L and come this September when I get my next pay rise for 4 years of service I will be earning 53,000+ with a work permit, visa and health insurance.

Take a look around, the jobs are out there.

Well said, google teach Thailand.....loads of opportunities, or The BKK Post....may not get 53k but you certainly can get 35k-40k starting salary with WP. health etc....maybe out in the province somewhere but thats not so bad

Also look at the private language schools in or around Bangkok. A few of theses schools offer Baht 40,000 PLUS depending on experience, qualifications AND personality. Work permit and (basic) health insurance. Small (-ish) classes, better working conditions and locations are also an added plus. Check out www.ajarn.com

From personal experience I can only advise you to avoid working in a government school... it's simply not worth it (from a financial or experience point of view).

As sourpeel said either teach English at a public school (for the 20,000 per month) or get significant teaching experience first then apply for international school.

At the rates they charge, international schools certainly shouldn't be hiring teaches with no experience; I'd definitely be pissed if i was paying 400,000+ baht a year for some bloke with no experience to be teaching my kid, because he wants to stay in Thailand a "bit longer than last time".

They are a business and want to make a profit, therefor they will hire inexperienced staff to cut costs

Is a TEFL really required? I see a lot of information on that and i thought my physical education degree would be enough to teach english in thailand.

Not required at all. All a sales game. You should have the degree and PE is usually Filipino's but one never knows, maybe you can do that. One note or item for thought, PE isn't always last period. You could be out in the heat in the morning then expected to teach inside in the afternoon or inbetween periods outside/inside. Of course if you just roll a ball out on to the court and relax may not be an issue. Good Luck. ps: Government schools are okay, a lot of holidays etc..

Yea, i was not really expecting them to give me a PE job. I understand foreigners are pretty much limited to teaching English in most, but not all, cases. I am still trying to figure out how important a TEFL course is to me. I get tons of teaching experience from my university going to the local public schools but nothing even close to resembling teaching kids who don't know English. The thing that really concerns me about TEFL is the $1100 price tag it carries.

Is a TEFL really required? I see a lot of information on that and i thought my physical education degree would be enough to teach english in thailand.

Not required at all. All a sales game. You should have the degree and PE is usually Filipino's but one never knows, maybe you can do that. One note or item for thought, PE isn't always last period. You could be out in the heat in the morning then expected to teach inside in the afternoon or inbetween periods outside/inside. Of course if you just roll a ball out on to the court and relax may not be an issue. Good Luck. ps: Government schools are okay, a lot of holidays etc..

With no experience teaching English, you will have varying degrees of success finding work teaching English without a TEFL. (Upcountry --- low pay --- no AC in the classroom, probably no problem! While in BKK or popular tourist areas there is a glut of qualified people applying and that will make it more difficult. Thai schools do love their "bits of paper" and the TEFL counts as one of those.

Note --- experienced teachers (verifiable experience in Thailand) don't need the extra bits of paper!