Help The Farang Or Thai?

Neeranam

What would you say?  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I 'helped' other farangs on more than one occasion (as Thais have helped me), and of course, you are not liked for it by the Scammers.

I don't always care, but with friends I'll go right to the edge of a physical fight to get my point across.

On Suk. a Thai got his barbecue sticks for 5 Baht, my friend was asked to pay 15 each, I told the seller in Thai that I just witnessed what the sticks go for, handed him the appropriate money and walked away. It ended up with the guy following us down the road until he realised we were ignoring him completely.

Yes, money can be made from clueless tourists, but don't take it for granted you'll always get away with blatant double-pricing, my dears!

Very true! Doesn't matter where you are in the world...

My brother lives in the East End of London - can I get the same prices as he gets at the markets? No way!

In my local pub back in the UK - do I get a few free drinks and a lock-in at the end of the night? Of course! Would someone even from a different area of the same town? Not a chance...

I think the funniest instance I came across of this (not at the time) was in transit, in Tashkent airport, on the way from the UK to LOS.

Me and the missus had (stupidly) got a last minute deal with Uzbekistan Air (don't go there...). At the transit desk, they told us they had to deal with passengers flying on to KL as their flight left before the BKK one. After a long time waiting, and a lot of pestering on my part, I saw a load of Uzbekis being processed for the BKK flight. I'm starting to get a tinsy bit cross by now, so I confronted the staff about it. Their response?

"Sorry sir - they're going to a DIFFERENT Bangkok"

Classic :o

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit off topic but heres a story.....

I was up in Tak some months ago where my gfs grandman lives and she went with her sister to go up to some weekly market in the next provinvce whilst I did a border hop at Mae Sot.  She come across a stall with all the usual counterfeit goods and the vendor tried to sell her a rolex watch as the real thing for 8000 baht! :o

The vendor kept insisting all her goods on her stall (dior, LV bags, rolex, cartier watches etc.) were all authentic items until my gf pointed out that her stall must have well over a few millions baht worth of goods and asked why was a woman of such wealth running a stall if she had that much money for stock. :D

Just goes to show not just the farangs in tourist areas that get the crazy prices.

Hey, my wife's family is from Tak too, they probably know each other's families as my wife's grandfather is quite famous up there (used to be the mayor or something).

Her aunt is a vendor in one of those stalls, and while she sits all day in some run-down little shack, at night she drives home in a nice new Toyota truck to a comfortable home. So don't let appearance fool you. Those stalls may look like tin shanties, but they still pull in a nice income.

Oh, and once you go up-country it doesn't matter if you're Thai or Farang, the locals can smell Bangkok (money) on you and they'll try to fleece you for as much as they can get. Happens to my wife all the time. When we went to Mae Sot, we stopped at that fruit market in the mountains and they took one look at her and doubled their prices :D. Heheh.

By the way, how about the way those idiots drive in those mountains. UN-F'ING BELIEVABLE! They are INSANE! While driving up the mountain, we encountered people coming down who were not only passing cars around blind curve, but passing cars that were passing OTHER CARS around a blind curve! Yikes!

Had to put our car in the gravel several times to avoid a head-on collision, and mind you, there's about 1 foot of clearance between the gravel and a 100 foot drop off (which, of course, doesn't have a guard rail).

A bit off topic but heres a story.....

I was up in Tak some months ago where my gfs grandman lives and she went with her sister to go up to some weekly market in the next provinvce whilst I did a border hop at Mae Sot.  She come across a stall with all the usual counterfeit goods and the vendor tried to sell her a rolex watch as the real thing for 8000 baht! :o

The vendor kept insisting all her goods on her stall (dior, LV bags, rolex, cartier watches etc.) were all authentic items until my gf pointed out that her stall must have well over a few millions baht worth of goods and asked why was a woman of such wealth running a stall if she had that much money for stock. :D

Just goes to show not just the farangs in tourist areas that get the crazy prices.

Hey, my wife's family is from Tak too, they probably know each other's families as my wife's grandfather is quite famous up there (used to be the mayor or something).

Her aunt is a vendor in one of those stalls, and while she sits all day in some run-down little shack, at night she drives home in a nice new Toyota truck to a comfortable home. So don't let appearance fool you. Those stalls may look like tin shanties, but they still pull in a nice income.

Oh, and once you go up-country it doesn't matter if you're Thai or Farang, the locals can smell Bangkok (money) on you and they'll try to fleece you for as much as they can get. Happens to my wife all the time. When we went to Mae Sot, we stopped at that fruit market in the mountains and they took one look at her and doubled their prices :D. Heheh.

By the way, how about the way those idiots drive in those mountains. UN-F'ING BELIEVABLE! They are INSANE! While driving up the mountain, we encountered people coming down who were not only passing cars around blind curve, but passing cars that were passing OTHER CARS around a blind curve! Yikes!

Had to put our car in the gravel several times to avoid a head-on collision, and mind you, there's about 1 foot of clearance between the gravel and a 100 foot drop off (which, of course, doesn't have a guard rail).

Deja vu :D

if it ain´t my business, it ain´t my business.

I voted that i would reply "i don´t know"

I can back that up by the fact I haven´t owned, bought, or wore a watch for most of my nearly 26 years-

Let `em get scammed... som nom na...

At the end of the day the customer will decide if the item is worth the price quoted.  If he buys it he obviously feels it is fine.

EXACTLY!

There is no cheating here at all. He can even ask for 10,000baht and if this alien from whatever planet still thinks it is good price, why is it my ######ing business?

Are there any rules on how much profit one should make in business? :o

My thoughts exactl :D y

One of the reasons this practise is objectionable, is that a mafia-like local structure is created and sustained by it. Street stalls in high-profit tourist spots don't come for free... :D

The other, more personal reason, is that I strongly dislike the feeling of paying more than I should. This applies also to friends and some extend other farangs, when their lack of knowledge and disorientation in a new environment is taken advantage of, sometimes in a very insolent manner. :o

One of the reasons this practise is objectionable, is that a mafia-like local structure is created and sustained by it. Street stalls in high-profit tourist spots don't come for free... :D

The other, more personal reason, is that I strongly dislike the feeling of paying more than I should. This applies also to friends and some extend other farangs, when their lack of knowledge and disorientation in a new environment is taken advantage of, sometimes in a very insolent manner. :o

Sorry mate! Can't agree...

Change the situation from Bangkok to London. A friend of mine was a buyer for a very large, low profit clothing chain called Primark. He bought a line of ladies winter coats that used to retail for 29.99 in his shops. His girlfriend went on a shopping spree to the West End and picked up the SAME garment, originating from the SAME warehouse for 199.99. He was absolutely gutted when he checked the stitching and label to confirm it. The difference was that as she browsed in the West End shop, a very posh shop assistant called her madame and made her coffee...

My question is this - before my mate told her the origin of the coat, did she think she had a bargain? The concept of worth is exactly that - what people are prepared to pay...

The last time any of us forked out 60 quid for a pair of Nike trainers, were we really stupid enough to think that they cost more than 2 quid to make? Of course not, but we still pay 60 quid don't we?

Street stalls in tourist areas don't come for free, but neither do boutiques in the west end...

Same same but different...

I think the price would be the same for me or a Japanese tourist as for her?

And I don't think Brit police does take a cut from the sales as tea-money?

Did your friends feel peed-off after discovering the dress is sold for 29.99 elsewhere?

Would your friend not have pointed this out to his partner, had he been present in the boutique?

Anyway, in principle I agree that individual traders may set the price at whatever they want (in most situations), but I object to it being regulated according to whether one has white skin, speaks the native language etc., specially when it reaches the stage when organised interest groups set the rules and harrass 'fair' traders (as done in some areas).

I hope I made my points clearer now.

Seeing how it's not that much $ one way or another, I wouldn't interfere.

Everyone has their own learning curve, I over-paid, over-tipped, on everything my first visit. mod8(smoking%20pipe)a.gif

So because you got ripped off you wouldn't help someone else to avoid it? That's nice, you're one of life's good guys. With a straight face can you honestly say that you wouldn't have liked someone to help you when you on your first visit?

My Son was visiting me last year, we were in the night bazaar in CM. He was looking round a DVD/VCD stall and overheard a couple of young English girls asking the stall owner if the pile of DVD's they had chosen would play ok in England, 'yes Miss, of course they will'. He asked to look at their pile of DVD's, out of about 20 disks only about 8 were ok for their region. He explained it to them and they only bought the playable disks, the stall owner gave him a dirty look but the girls certainly didn't.

As someone else said, 'what goes round, comes round', that applies to dishonesty too.

I must say, I enjoy exposing the odd Thai racketeer who has the audacity to joke about his latest 'victim' to his 'collegues', assuming none of the 'stupid farangs' understand Thai... :o

Som nam na! :D:D

Edited by zzap

The OP asked what would I tell them if they asked me – in this case if I will happily tell them what I think the value is.  But I would not offer the price up without being asked.

I agree with this point.

I bought a watch for a friend of a street market, just as a little present. I know how much i should pay, BUT i still had an obnoxious English bloke stood next to me shouting make sure you dont pay more than 500 baht for it.

I politely told him this wasnt the first time i had bought a watch and i was quite capable of haggling in Thai to get the price i wanted, but he still stood there saying thats too much evrerytime the guy told me a price, in the end i told him to shut the <deleted> up and if i wanted his advice or opinion, i would ask for it.

I couldnt believe this guy, he probably thought he was doing me a favour, but he was just embarrasing himself, and more importantly me. He seemed the need to butt in even though i told him his help wasnt needed, not sure why that is?

In that type of situation I totally agree with you dalyboy, but a first timer to Thailand? Can't speak the lingo, doesn't know how much is a reasonable price, maybe never had any experience of haggling in that situation, etc etc. If you have shares in the stall then I can understand you wanting to make as much dosh as possible but what happened to the milk of human kindness?

If you buy from the markets or stalls where there is no price tag on the item, it is open for bartering.

Thais and tourists understand that.

It is not only the tourists that are ripped off. I have seem many Thais pay far too much for goods that I had already purchased at a much cheaper price.

If a tourist, or a Thai for that matter, doesn't know what is fair value or how to barter properly, that is their problem.

Getting involved whilst a transaction is in progress is just asking for trouble.

The Dude would tell zigfreid that he doesn't know b/c he does not and does not want to get involved btw 2 negotiating parties cause that aint right. However, if dude saw ziggy later in a different setting, he would clue him in. If The Dude knew ziggy, he'd clue him in on the spot

Looks like the milk of human kindness has gone sour then  :o

I don´t think this has to do with human kindness. I don´t care if they are overpricing ...I sometimes try to get a better price...if still I don´t like it I just walk away...

Of course they are going to overcharge you...you are falang and you have more money than they have...Thai people cannot come to Europe just for a holiday...as much as they overcharge you...

Also about the fact that you don´t want to pay more because is not fair or they are cheating you...you don´t know how many thai people is eating from the money that they make from such bussiness... people get angry when they have overpayed ( then cheated) because it harms "oneself EGO"...who cares...I find it funny...next time I will try not to be so silly...

I think I am not a kind person, I am very harsh...because I think more like go and learn by yourself...

Girls buy some CD´s that are not playable in Europe...so what?...next time they will be more careful that´s all...is not like they are paying millions of tbh...and they won´t be able to return to their homes,blah,blah...

Finally, even though we are overpaying, we most of the time return to Europe saying "!Oh Thailand is so cheap!".

Edited by Glauka

I am of the "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" school of thought myself.

I apply that in some points of my life...mostly in the way I tread people...

but I think sometimes you have to let people learn from themselves...and this is one of the cases...from my point of view...

Edited by Glauka

Some interesting responses.

An experience I had the other day at the bus station, when I was picking up my family. They had met two german backpackers and I was asked to help them. First I suggested that I drive them to the nearest cheap hotel. But their backpacks were huge and there was no room in my car.

I told them to get a Tuk Tuk, then thought I would ask the driver to go to the guesthouse. I asked how much, and he replied 80 baht. I would not have paid that for the ride as it should be about 30 or 40 baht.

What did I say? OK. I guess I feel that the tuk tuk driver needs the cash more than them. I didn't want to take away his farang price.

They were only 3 days in the country.

I guess that I take the Thais' sides sometimes - I've got a lot more in common with them than Germans.

Some interesting responses.

An experience I had the other day at the bus station, when I was picking up my family. They had met two german backpackers and I was asked to help them. First I suggested that I drive them to the nearest cheap hotel. But their backpacks were huge and there was no room in my car.

I told them to get a Tuk Tuk, then thought I would ask the driver to go to the guesthouse. I asked how much, and he replied 80 baht. I would not have paid that for the ride as it should be about 30 or 40 baht.

What did I say? OK. I guess I feel that the tuk tuk driver needs the cash more than them. I didn't want to take away his farang price.

They were only 3 days in the country.

I guess that I take the Thais' sides sometimes - I've got a lot more in common with them than Germans.

Exactly mate.

What is a very small amount of cash to the majority of us, can be a meal or two for a Thai family, and we should never forget this.

Dont forget these people that are so called ripping you off, live a hand to mouth existence, they dont have a benifits system for the sick and old if they dont work they starve, and i cant believe anyone on this board would do anything differnt to the Thai people if you were in their position.

Guest DragonStar

Someone else might have said the same in this lenghty thread (where I admittedly browsed quickly past several probably interesting comments)

I say:

Help the farangs and they might or might not say 'Thank You'. The Thai will certainly be your enemy for life.

Help the Thai and you'll have a friend for life. The farangs might or might not recognize any difference.

The Thai has family and friends and they talk and talk and talk.... Anybody, who want to live happily in Thailand, surrounded by Thais who like you. If you wanrt to help your collegeas --- do always support the Thai in his quest to ease off a few bucks from a tourist, who'll go back to his 200,000 B/M job after holliday.