Uk Freephone Number

rixalex

Have a 0800 freephone number in the UK i am trying to call, but doesn't seem to want to connect. I appreciate that obviously it won't be free. Not worried about that. Just need to call it, whatever the charge. Does anybody know if it is possible to call this type of number from outside of the UK? P.S. When dialing i have been dropping the first "0" in the 0800, as with area codes - assume this is correct?

I think that it is not possible to call freephone or 0845 (local call rate) numbers from overseas. It is a long time since I tried, but that was the case some years ago, and I don't bother trying now, It is frustrating when companies do not also publish a 'real' line number.

SC

I think that it is not possible to call freephone or 0845 (local call rate) numbers from overseas. It is a long time since I tried, but that was the case some years ago, and I don't bother trying now, It is frustrating when companies do not also publish a 'real' line number.

SC

Thanks for sharing your experience cowboy. This is what i feared and suspected.

The company i need to contact don't publish a "real" line number, so yes, frustrating.

SC

The company i need to contact don't publish a "real" line number, so yes, frustrating.

You might be able to make a skype call to the 0800 number; I couldn't get skype-out working when I tried, because of problems with my credit card and the international payment methods on offer at the time.

I believe that skype-out routes your call via skype to the destination country, then connects to the telephone circuits via a local connection there - a bit like a VPN...(in an abstract and metaphorical way)

SC

SC

You might be able to make a skype call to the 0800 number; I couldn't get skype-out working when I tried, because of problems with my credit card and the international payment methods on offer at the time.

I believe that skype-out routes your call via skype to the destination country, then connects to the telephone circuits via a local connection there - a bit like a VPN...(in an abstract and metaphorical way)

SC

Thanks again for the suggestion SC.

Have just sent an email to the company concerned so will see first if they can give me a "real" line number.

Skype works fine to all free phone numbers (including UK and US number).

No need for credit - they are still free.

Works like a dream every time.

I find it amusing to talk to India from Thailand about a phone in the UK, all for no charge.