Stray Cat

trainman34014

I'm sure there are some experienced people out there who have taken in stray cats, probably too many in some cases ! Anyway; we've had this cat coming to our house now for a couple of weeks every day and sleeping under our car. He/She appears to be very thin and undernourished and is also very nervous but seems to like the quietness of our abode. Wifey wants to start feeding and 'adopt' and I've had many a cat in the West but I'm worried about how to keep it clean for the house etc. I don't know anything about what jabs are available or if I can get Flea Collar/Powder in Chiang Mai. What I really need is someone with prior knowledge of all the required info' to give me a heads up on the best way forward with a view to making this cat a companion.

Well done to you and Wifey! First of all, you need to make friends with the cat enough to pick her up and put her in a (secure) travelling container. Then take her to a vet and get her sterilized a.s.a.p. The chances of her being pregnant already are there, but if she's not, your regular feeding will make her healthier and she'll be full of kittens in no time. If she's a female, that is. Sterilization is also important for the males. There's quite a lot of feline H.I.V. in Thailand and that's mostly spread by sex, but also to some extent by bites. The vet will assess the cat's general health and give worming treatment and flea treatment. I don't think collars are a good idea for cats as they could get hooked up in a tree or something.

Provde a dirt box and cats are usually happy to have a clean place to do their business.

Good luck.

Here you go. Get two jobs done at once...

How to scrub a toilet

1. Put both lids of the toilet up and add 1/8 cup of pet shampoo to the water in the bowl.

2. Pick up the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.

3. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close the lid. You may need to stand on the lid.

4. The cat will self agitate and make ample suds.. Never mind the noises that come from the toilet, the cat is actually enjoying this.

5. Flush the toilet three or four times This provides a 'power-wash' and rinse'.

6. Have someone open the front door of your home. Be sure that there are no people between the bathroom and the front door.

7. Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift the lid.

8. The cat will rocket out of the toilet, streak through the bathroom, and run outside where he will dry himself off.

9. Both the commode and the cat will be sparkling clean.

Yours Sincerely,

The Dog

Here you go. Get two jobs done at once...

How to scrub a toilet

1. Put both lids of the toilet up and add 1/8 cup of pet shampoo to the water in the bowl.

2. Pick up the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.

3. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close the lid. You may need to stand on the lid.

4. The cat will self agitate and make ample suds.. Never mind the noises that come from the toilet, the cat is actually enjoying this.

5. Flush the toilet three or four times This provides a 'power-wash' and rinse'.

6. Have someone open the front door of your home. Be sure that there are no people between the bathroom and the front door.

7. Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift the lid.

8. The cat will rocket out of the toilet, streak through the bathroom, and run outside where he will dry himself off.

9. Both the commode and the cat will be sparkling clean.

Yours Sincerely,

The Dog

Blimey Ian ! Sounds a bit hairy to say the least. Back in Blighty I used to get them used to bathing in a plastic bowl on the lawn with a hose pipe for rinsing but that's ok if you have them from tiny Kittens and they learn to know what's going to happen. Sticking any animal down the Loo and closing the lid may well be viewed as cruel in the West and we would probably get arrested !

Thanks lads for all the useful info' so far.