Thailand To Protest Over New US Regulations For Exporters

Thailand to protest over new US regulations for exporters

By PETCHANET PRATRUANGKRAI

THE NATION

Thailand will send a letter to the Office of the US Trade Representative protesting against new regulations that will put a higher financial burden on exporters, especially small and medium-sized enterprises.

Surasuk Riangkrul, deputy director-general of the Foreign Trade Department, said the US Department of Commerce had recently changed its rules for exporters, especially in relation to products that come under anti-dumping or countervailing duties for cash deposit instead of bonds. This measure creates difficulties for Thai exporters, especially SMEs, because they have less liquidity than big firms.

"Although this is a temporary measure, Thai exporters may face difficulties exporting goods to the US. Importers would pass the burden of the cash deposit onto the exporters or start buying goods from countries that do not face anti-dumping or countervailing duties," he said.

The department, in cooperation with Thai manufacturers and exporters, will send a letter to the USTR protesting against this measure and asking for a revision of the new rules. Previously, the department had protested against new regulations that extended the period during which high duties were levied on Thai goods.

The US Department of Commerce recently revised its rules on countervailing duties and will no longer consider exempting exporters who have not engaged in price dumping for three consecutive years or been subsidised by their government for five years.

The decision has dashed the hopes of Thai exporters, who will end up having to pay high anti-dumping duties for the next five years.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-13

What the US is doing is double taxing. They charge the anti-dumping duties (which can be as high as 30%) against all imports of a particular product from Thailand (not just against the confirmed dumpers, but against all importers from Thailand of the same dumped product). Then they demand a second deposit of the tax against future imports. So in effect, they apply the taxes twice--once as an import duty, and the second as a deposit against future import duties.

Thailand may charge high duties--but they do not charge them twice!

Just another example of US protectionism that goes unreported in the public media.

Lets talk about important products! From just over the border not from over the sea.When will we see beer Lao and Guiness from Malaysia?

i just saw beer lao at Makro. Around 55 baht a small bottle for the dark and 35 baht a small bottle for the regular.

Wow, if this isn't the pot calling the kettle black. Try importing something from the U.S. into Thailand and see what it costs you. Have they never heard of quid pro quo?

Boy, Isn't that the truth.

What the US is doing is double taxing. They charge the anti-dumping duties (which can be as high as 30%) against all imports of a particular product from Thailand (not just against the confirmed dumpers, but against all importers from Thailand of the same dumped product). Then they demand a second deposit of the tax against future imports. So in effect, they apply the taxes twice--once as an import duty, and the second as a deposit against future import duties.

Just another example of US protectionism that goes unreported in the public media.

Good point, but what Thailand taxes for imports coming from the US it might as well be doubled

Lets talk about important products! From just over the border not from over the sea.When will we see beer Lao and Guiness from Malaysia?

Important, INDEED! :D

Thanks for that will go and have a look...Would be nice to see it along with Guiness at a fair price in a bar as well...Who says TV is not informative!

i just saw beer lao at Makro. Around 55 baht a small bottle for the dark and 35 baht a small bottle for the regular.

Opps replied to wrong post...Thanks for that I will go and have a look but would be nice to see it in a bar st a fair price.....Malaysian Guiness I think the best in thd world!

They are not charging the tax twice.. AS you said, "Then they demand a second deposit of the tax against future imports". "DEPOSIT" is the key word.

I understand, as of 1 Jan 2011 there is not tax on beer imported from Lao

I've also seen Beer Lao at Tesco Lotus.

I tried and didn't particularly like it though... (But then I don't drink any of the Thai beers, so only have European ones to compare it with).

That was my point the Asian pact were supposed to have free trade but the Thais put a stop on the import if beer....

Also The first of Jan 2011 was 6 months ago......

Edited by davidwright

Apparently you have not dealt with trying to bring something into Thailand. Shipping something here, you can be assessed duty and tax of up to 136% of the value of the product....current or original price depending on the whim of the customs officer.

Wow, if this isn't the pot calling the kettle black. Try importing something from the U.S. into Thailand and see what it costs you. Have they never heard of quid pro quo?

US is a easiest place to import almost anything. So I agreethis is a good punishment for Thailand to recognize they should not get anyspecial treatment or better yet start opening their border to the competitorsso the product start getting cheaper for the consumers

From a corrupt country that expects and demands 'tea money' from everybody for everything, this complaint is one big fat ass joke. Besides, there are no small and medium sized companies in Thailand that this will effect, those companies have already been driven out of bussiness by the corruption within Thailand, not the bad ole USA.

To heck with anything from Malaysia, any fifth world country that would 'cattle brand' anyone, let alone chinese whores, is a country I would buy nothing from. I personally hope and pray that Malaysian's will ALL die from some plague, what a country.