Mini Bus/ Bus From Chiang Mai To Bkk ?

davehowden

As far as I know there are no mini buses (vans) to any place in/near Bangkok.

There are regular buses to the Northern and Southern bus station in Bangkok.

To get to Suvarnabhumi you grab a taxi from Mo Chit; there ARE probably minivans from Mo Chit to Suvarnabhumi, but you'd need to google that.

From Morchit you can take the BTS Skytrain to Phaya Thai Station for 30 baht, it takes 9 minutes. From there take the Airport Link to Suvarnabhumi which runs every 15 minutes, the cost is 45 baht and takes about 30 minutes. A lot cheaper than a taxi and generally a lot quicker.

Edited by Blinky Bill

From Morchit you can take the BTS Skytrain to Phaya Thai Station for 30 baht, it takes 9 minutes. From there take the Airport Link to Suvarnabhumi which runs every 15 minutes, the cost is 45 baht and takes about 30 minutes. A lot cheaper than a taxi and generally a lot quicker.

Except that it's a major hike from Morchit to the BTS Skytrains station. So far that it pretty much requires a taxi ride. Once in a taxi I think it makes more sense to just take the tollway straight to teh airport, but then that's not in penny pinching mode.

Yes, taking a scheduled bus to MoChit can be even pleasant, whatever one pays, particularly the 24 seat VIP (or 1st Class, check on # of seats). When I have luggage, buses can beat Air Asia for price, even if there's a promotion for my day.

But from BKK's Northern Bus station, it is not easy to go to the airport, requiring a long hike plus Bill's (the latest!) route, or a taxi plus, or a taxi - and the tolls make that trip all but as expensive as the bus itself.

So Air Asia is really worth investigating for your dates. But if you have luggage to lug, you have to price that, by weight, as well.

Incidentally, some of these mini-buses provide truly mini-seats and noisy entertainment. Even if I found one to BKK, I would select another method of travel.