Renewing Non-O Based On Marriage

Hi,

My Non-O based on marriage will expire on July 21. When would be a good time to reaply? From reading a recent post it seems that I have to go through the exact same process as the 1st time (same documents needed), correct? From what I remember, appointments are not needed. You just go there with your wife, take a ticket and wait for your turn, correct? Is there anything else I should know (recent changes in the list of documents needed or other)? I need to go to immigration this week for 90 day report. Please let me know if there are any forms I should pick up while I'm over there that I'm gonna need for reaplying for my 1 year non-o visa.

Your help and answers are much appreciated.

You will apply for a one year extension of stay; not a visa. You will need to fill out a TM.7 form so you might want to pick that up (has been reported it is a new form version that is not yet available on internet - but that older version has still been accepted). If using money in bank must be there 2 months and other paperwork should also be the same as last time. If you have form filled out just a queue ticket and wait.

Thanks guys for your prompt replies ;)

I have read and heard some conflicting information regarding the amount of time the money has to be in the bank. I have read on this forum that the second extension of stay requires 400,000 baht in the bank for at least 3 months. Nonthaburi immigration has told me 4 months. My wife was so paranoid after hearing this and intimidated by our immigration officer (who is always the same) that she insists on keeping the money in the bank for 5 months. This is of course a waste of resources. Could someone point to a website with the regulations? It would reassure my wife and tone down the ass immigration officer's arrogance. Thanks in advance

Edited by kirk0233

As given by Maestro above.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Thanks to all for the information. Apparently Nonthaburi immigration does not know immigration regulations.

Thanks to all for the information. Apparently Nonthaburi immigration does not know immigration regulations.

just spoke to two immigration sources. The two months refers to the first year application. Following years the 400,000 has to be in the bank for three months.

Edited by kirk0233

just spoke to two immigration sources. The two months refers to the first year application. Following years the 400,000 has to be in the bank for three months.

No its not , its two months for extension based on marriage , 3 months for retirement .

Can you please advise what immigration sources gave you that information and when. The requirement by law is 400k for 2 months for all applications and this has been confirmed by Bangkok and other offices recently. There was a period when some did ask 3 months but it was never a part of the official requirements. Would be interesting to know who/where is saying something else. Thanks.

scan0001.pdf

Can you please advise what immigration sources gave you that information and when. The requirement by law is 400k for 2 months for all applications and this has been confirmed by Bangkok and other offices recently. There was a period when some did ask 3 months but it was never a part of the official requirements. Would be interesting to know who/where is saying something else. Thanks.

The first source is Nonthaburi immigration where the attached pdf file comes from. My Thai wife assures me that it states that after the first extension of stay documentation of 400k for 3 months is required. The second source is the government contact center (1111) which cooperates with immigration. I was told the same after some research by the agent and a call back. If you can read Thai and find flaws in the document I can use with immigration it would be appreciated. Hopefully you can read the document since the copy I was provided was of poor quality.

Believe that was what they had in place as policy a few months ago but has since been changed to abide by Police Order 777/2551 which is 2 months with no mention of three for marriage extensions of stay (at least that is what current reports indicate). Believe you have to ask to be transferred to Immigration if using the 1111 number (at least that was the original system). Our current pinned useful information lists Chiang Watanna as 1178 or 02 141-9889 or fax 02 143-8228. Although your location is under Division 6 believe they should be following the same policy as Bangkok on this.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be a problem if you needed to obtain documents so best to do several weeks early if you can qualify. Otherwise make sure your paperwork it correct. If a foreign marriage make sure it is registered at District Office. If a local marriage make sure you have both marriage certificate and ledger entry papers and at some locations a copy of Embassy letter used to marry is also being required. Have photos inside/outside home and at least one showing couple with house number visible and clothing hung together in another. Be sure she has her ID and Home Register.

It would be a problem if you needed to obtain documents so best to do several weeks early if you can qualify. Otherwise make sure your paperwork it correct. If a foreign marriage make sure it is registered at District Office. If a local marriage make sure you have both marriage certificate and ledger entry papers and at some locations a copy of Embassy letter used to marry is also being required. Have photos inside/outside home and at least one showing couple with house number visible and clothing hung together in another. Be sure she has her ID and Home Register.

Thank you for the reply, it is a local marriage, but everything is registered with foreign affairs and Chiang Mai City hall with marriage certificate. (required for type O I received in Savannakhet) I was thinking about leaving some time, if their was any problems or changes but I am also watching the baht and waiting, as converting from USD for the 400k and a little better exchange would be nice right now....:jap:

You can get a 60 day extension first, without the need to show money, if you want to wait and see if you can get a more favourable exchange rate.

Don't forget the money needs to be in your bankaccount 2 months prior to applying fr the 1 year extension.