Thai PM Abhisit 'Very Optimistic' About Winning Election

webfact

Staging a coup is NOT a criminal act - if Thailand does what PTP is suggesting and provides amnesty for red shirt TLT criminals and fugitves - it will send a message to the Thai people that you can do whatever you like and get away with it!!

"Staging a coup is NOT a criminal act" - Wha? I can't help thinking this is utter nonsense.

"if Thailand does what PTP is suggesting and provides amnesty for red shirt TLT criminals and fugitves - it will send a message to the Thai people that you can do whatever you like and get away with it!!"

What you describe here is the very message that has been sent to Thai people on a continual basis for the last xxx years.

Do you seriously think that Thai people think MPs always stick to the rules? And that now because of the PTP actions, they will suddenly realize that shock, horror, some MP's are selfish egoists?

You might think red shirts are idiots but now you're tarring the entire population with the idiot brush. Credit them with some intelligence, please!

You can THINK all you like BUT - could you provide me with a link to a law stating that staging a coup IS illegal? Id love you to prove me wrong!! By the way a Thai lawyer friend of mine agrees with me that its NOT against Thai law to stage a military coup - as for the rest of your nonsense I cannot see how anyone with an ounce of grey matter could seriously argue with the fact thatt whitwashing the crimes of convicted billionaire criminals in order for them to regain power - is morally, legally or criminally right - now there is a law against that!! Not just in Thailand but in most countries. Finally, Im married to a Thai I have a half Thai son and more Thai friends than Western ones. I CERTAINLY do not think ALL Thais are idiots only bitter twisted TV posters would draw such a conclusion. However, Thai people need to have GOOD role models like the rest of us - and former prime minister criminals who hand out 500 baht to steal 73 billion are NOT good role models. Have a think on!!

I'll think on if you take up reading posts more carefully. Deal?

I didn't make any judgements - as you incessantly do - about what is morally right or wrong.

You said that an amnesty would show Thai people that "you can do whatever you like and get away with it". I said that they have long been shown that and it would be nothing new. You want to argue about that?

Here's the definiton of coup I found after about 10 seconds.

I don't have the Thai legislation or constitutional guidelines on coups, but maybe someone can help us out with that.

Finally, politicians that are recognizably good role models are few and far between in any country. Except for people who might aspire to have that kind of career. I suspect Thai people know this too, and have more accessible and believable role models than your average politician.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a long established old boys network in the UK, it is unseen but very powerful. If you go to an old established Public School (in the English sense), as I did and also Abhisit, progress to Oxbridge it taken for granted. In the days of National military service, it was also automatic admission to Officer training and a commission. Public schools are geared towards Oxbridge in terms of their curriculum, whereas entrants from State schools are in need of supportive extra tuition to survive. Public school entrants usually do well because from the age of 12 they have been part of the university system and ethos. At university with the right money you can join relevant clubs and societies, have closer relationships with tutors and lecturers. Sure it is possible to flunk out of Oxbridge as a Public School entrant, but you have to work quite hard at it.

I am talking from personal experience, both of myself and my children, also as a teacher of pupils who went to Oxbridge and as a University lecturer at Imperial. Incidentally, at Imperial College there was a "no fail" policy for fee paying overseas students.

You are misinformed, or more charitably had your views formed in the distant past of the National Service era when certainly criteria were more relaxed.I can assure you that progress to Oxbridge is not taken for granted now by independent schools with the possible exception of 2 or 3 establishments - no more than that and it doesn't include Eton.Public school curricula are not really geared towards Oxbridge entrance now, with the vast majority of pupils going elsewhere.Your description of needing the right money to join the right clubs and societies at Oxbridge is frankly absurd, as is the suggestion that money is needed to have closer relationships with tutors and lecturers.

Are you sure you attended an old established public school because it doesn't sound like it.

I love the way people politely call others liars. "Are you sure you attended an old established public school because it doesn't sound like it." :lol:

The simple answer is yes, established in 1629. It has produced many notable parliamentarians, colonial governors (William Penn for example), military Generals ( Lieutenant-General Bernard Montgomery), actors, writers, academics etc. Its one notable failure was your truly. :lol:

Sadly, since it went co-educational and money orientated it has gone downhill in my opinion. The last time I visited, the current staff were even unaware that Charles Dickens was a former teacher there.

There is a long established old boys network in the UK, it is unseen but very powerful. If you go to an old established Public School (in the English sense), as I did and also Abhisit, progress to Oxbridge it taken for granted. In the days of National military service, it was also automatic admission to Officer training and a commission. Public schools are geared towards Oxbridge in terms of their curriculum, whereas entrants from State schools are in need of supportive extra tuition to survive. Public school entrants usually do well because from the age of 12 they have been part of the university system and ethos. At university with the right money you can join relevant clubs and societies, have closer relationships with tutors and lecturers. Sure it is possible to flunk out of Oxbridge as a Public School entrant, but you have to work quite hard at it.

I am talking from personal experience, both of myself and my children, also as a teacher of pupils who went to Oxbridge and as a University lecturer at Imperial. Incidentally, at Imperial College there was a "no fail" policy for fee paying overseas students.

You are misinformed, or more charitably had your views formed in the distant past of the National Service era when certainly criteria were more relaxed.I can assure you that progress to Oxbridge is not taken for granted now by independent schools with the possible exception of 2 or 3 establishments - no more than that and it doesn't include Eton.Public school curricula are not really geared towards Oxbridge entrance now, with the vast majority of pupils going elsewhere.Your description of needing the right money to join the right clubs and societies at Oxbridge is frankly absurd, as is the suggestion that money is needed to have closer relationships with tutors and lecturers.

Are you sure you attended an old established public school because it doesn't sound like it.

I love the way people politely call others liars. "Are you sure you attended an old established public school because it doesn't sound like it." :lol:

The simple answer is yes, established in 1629. It has produced many notable parliamentarians, colonial governors (William Penn for example), military Generals ( Lieutenant-General Bernard Montgomery), actors, writers, academics etc. Its one notable failure was your truly. :lol:

Sadly, since it went co-educational and money orientated it has gone downhill in my opinion. The last time I visited, the current staff were even unaware that Charles Dickens was a former teacher there.

My assessment was spot on.

Chigwell is a good Essex school, but would be described as a very minor public school, not even third division.You are incidentally wrong to say Monty is an old boy.He went to St Paul's, by any standards an old established public school.

My assessment was spot on.

Chigwell is a good Essex school, but would be described as a very minor public school, not even third division.You are incidentally wrong to say Monty is an old boy.He went to St Paul's, by any standards an old established public school.

Congratulations on revealing my background, very good of you :bah:Now perhaps you would be so kind as to give your academic background seeing as you are so knowledgeable in your assessments. Yes it is now a minor school, as I said it has seen better days. I'm sure the good Archbishop would be spinning in his grave if he could see it now. I actually met Monty when I was there, he gave me my CCF certificates, as I was 14 at the time I may has misunderstood his connection with the school. So yes another point you have gleefully scored against me. Now pray tell, which prestigious, none "very minor public school" did you go to? :lol:

Congratulations on revealing my background, very good of you :bah:Now perhaps you would be so kind as to give your academic background seeing as you are so knowledgeable in your assessments. Yes it is now a minor school, as I said it has seen better days. I'm sure the good Archbishop would be spinning in his grave if he could see it now. I actually met Monty when I was there, he gave me my CCF certificates, as I was 14 at the time I may has misunderstood his connection with the school. So yes another point you have gleefully scored against me. Now pray tell, which prestigious, none "very minor public school" did you go to? :lol:

Slough Grammar

Slough Grammar

Ah the good old Grammar schools, I think some still survive. Unfortunately by the time I became a teacher Comprehensives were the rule. Just as a matter of interest I have never made use of my Public School background, I even turned down the chance at a commission in the army.

If Slough is your hometown you have my profound sympathies.

Now shall we return to Abhisit's optimism? B)

If Slough is your hometown you have my profound sympathies.

Slough

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!

It isn't fit for humans now,

There isn't grass to graze a cow.

Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs and blow to smithereens

Those air -conditioned, bright canteens,

Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,

Tinned minds, tinned breath.

Mess up the mess they call a town-

A house for ninety-seven down

And once a week a half a crown

For twenty years.

And get that man with double chin

Who'll always cheat and always win,

Who washes his repulsive skin

In women's tears:

And smash his desk of polished oak

And smash his hands so used to stroke

And stop his boring dirty joke

And make him yell.

But spare the bald young clerks who add

The profits of the stinking cad;

It's not their fault that they are mad,

They've tasted Hell.

It's not their fault they do not know

The birdsong from the radio,

It's not their fault they often go

To Maidenhead

And talk of sport and makes of cars

In various bogus-Tudor bars

And daren't look up and see the stars

But belch instead.

In labour-saving homes, with care

Their wives frizz out peroxide hair

And dry it in synthetic air

And paint their nails.

Come, friendly bombs and fall on Slough

To get it ready for the plough.

The cabbages are coming now;

The earth exhales.

he's gotta be joking.

he's been out played by the"evil one".

He would of had a much better chance if hed gone ahead with the elections in november which the evil one turned down.

And u can see why he turned dem down now.

That's exactly what I was thinking, although it was admittedly a tough call at the time. The advantages of being the incumbent for longer were badly outweighed by the dead wood in the Dems legacy hierarchy and the unsavoury types Abhisit was forced to have in his cabinet from other parties. Now the Dems have been outbid and outclassed at every turn of the campaign trail, as if Thaksin is knocking them down in every round as soon as the bell rings. Abhisit should have had a large picture of the square faced one in his bedroom and tried to second guess him every morning when he woke up, like Montgomery did with Rommel's portrait.

Hopefully the Dems will use the next 25 years in opposition, assuming opposition parties are still allowed, in making themselves electable again. By that time they will be dealing with Thaksin's son and wars pro drugs - he he.

I didn't say Buy His Way Through did I?

There are ways and there are ways,

most cost money, like serious tutoring at exam time,

but don't involve bribing the teachers or dean.

Endowments of huge amounts sometimes... Like a new school for a subject

do help turn a D into a C, or 'encourage' the professor 'putting in extra time to help a student'...

And most certainly Oxford flunks out students every year for non-performance.

Again not as easily to skid through compared to 'can't let the family lose face' Thailand.

Let's consider young Oak at Oxford, for instance... well, let's not waste of time.

1.Oxford flunks out one of the lowest proportions in the world because entry standards are so stiff.In essence if you get in and don't freak out, you will graduate.

2.Daddy's endowments make no difference to entry or pass grades.It's Oxford not a crappy third rate place

3.College tutors provide intensive support, and don't need to be bribed.

Hear Hear

I constantly hear Abhisit described as "Oxford educated", what has this got to do with the price of eggs? Pun intended :lol:

Most of my friends and relatives are Oxford educated, they still have their fair share of idiots.

I'm not saying Abhisit is an idiot, but being Oxford educated does not make him a genius either.

Massive prestige boost for person described. Thailand is all about prestige, it is extremely important. Thus if the PM can be described as "Oxford-educated" then by extension there is a massive prestige boost for the nation. Reputation is everything. Without reputation in this country, people will not co-operate with you and you cannot achieve what you hoped to.

I suggest that having money and material wealth is a bigger drawing card than the Oxford" p aper. Do you honestly think more than 25% of the electorate can name the uni Mr. Abhisit attended?

I constantly hear Abhisit described as "Oxford educated", what has this got to do with the price of eggs? Pun intended :lol:

Most of my friends and relatives are Oxford educated, they still have their fair share of idiots.

I'm not saying Abhisit is an idiot, but being Oxford educated does not make him a genius either.

Massive prestige boost for person described. Thailand is all about prestige, it is extremely important. Thus if the PM can be described as "Oxford-educated" then by extension there is a massive prestige boost for the nation. Reputation is everything. Without reputation in this country, people will not co-operate with you and you cannot achieve what you hoped to.

I suggest that having money and material wealth is a bigger drawing card than the Oxford" p aper. Do you honestly think more than 25% of the electorate can name the uni Mr. Abhisit attended?

Okford

The press is freer than at any time Thaksin was in power

http://www.moibrahimfoundation.org/en/news/media-centre/in-the-news/freedom-house-middle-east-in-decline-as-global-press-freedom-hits-low-point.html

The group also released the Global Press Freedom Rankings for 2011, in which Thailand ranked 138th, down from 124th last year. The country's press freedom status has been downgraded to "not free" _ the same as Cambodia,

The report noted that repressive governments have intensified efforts to exert control over new means of communication, including satellite television and the internet.

Some democratic and semi-democratic states also moved to impose additional restrictions on the internet, including South Korea and Thailand, which increased censorship of online content, the report stated.

"While we have come to expect restrictive and dangerous environments for journalists in the Middle East and the former Soviet Union, we are particularly troubled this year by declines in young or faltering democracies like Mexico, Hungary and Thailand," said David J Kramer, executive director of Freedom House.

Probably not more than 1%, and yes most Thais would set more store by the amount of dosh accrued (not that Abhisit is short of the that commodity)

I don't think he got a chance to win,and much prefer the Lady to get it.Thailand needs a women in Powerjap.gif

Sure nothing wrong with the right woman. But surely even a child can surely see this is just a con trick and a ruse to put up a woman who is the sister of the convicted Thaksin. She has no experience or proven track record and obviously is put in place to keep power with the elitist and crooked Thaksin family pending her criminal brother's return which would follow IF the Thais were stupid enough to elect her and the current silly or naive thinking PTP party into power. Personally anyone fooled by Thaksin has got to seriously lack some mental reasoning and thus I would not want them anywhere near running my country. Sure nothing against an ordinary and capable Thai woman in power, one who has proved herself capable and proved she is against corruption and dedicated to making Thailand better off rather than herself. But why do the poor Thai people support such an elitist rich and crooked family, surely this woman is part of the elite ruling class with all the wealth she and her family possess, much born on the backs of her Brothers proven corruption, supported by his family, and truly effectively in the end stolen from the far from wealthy ordinary Thai people.

So come on get real Thailand and get rid of anything to do with Thaksin. Sure I sincerely support a non elitist peoples party but keep corrupt elites out of it as they are only there to work against you in the long term as has been clearly shown and PROVEN in the past. It is always a well known con trick to offer lovely tasting carrots to get to the gold and this is 100% sure what Thaksin did adn is still trying to get back to doing, so clear to see by any sane person even with a slightly below average IQ that he is wants back in to feather his own nest rather than dedicatedly care about Thailand and its honourable people. Still I am incredulous that this crook Thaksin still has any support at all from any genuine people. I am a centre socialist and proud of it, so feel close to the PTP ideals of power with real people not the elites, but would never vote for PTP currently with any of the Thaksin family or his friends and cronies involved in it, so for now would much prefer the far less corrupt more right wing Democrat party and the capable Abhist who at least seems pretty honest and dedicated to this country so far more important than my politic ideals when there is no credible socialist or centre political alternative. To be honest if PTP denounced Thaksin and his cronies then they would easily sweep to victory, but now I feel that most intelligent thinking Thai folk will see sound sense and avoid them like a plague and we will currently see a Democrat victory for stability and at least less corruption than the currently set up PTP would give us. Surely only a minority are prepared to sell their souls for 500 Baht a vote.

I know two wrongs do not make a right but if I were Thai and offered 500 Baht for my vote from a crooked candidate I would take his bent nasty money and then either spoil my vote paper or vote for the other candidate if he/she was acceptable to me, as I would NEVER vote for a proven crook and neither should any of us.

Edited by rayw

Viewing Thai politics through international media every time Abhisit speaks he comes across as reasonable, sensible, articulate and honest (ok so it's an election and everyone is going tp talk up their chances), every time you here Thaksin speak he comes across as sniveling, victimized, flippant or confrontational. Setting aside the character assassinations that both men have had tp weather, there can be no doubt who the better man is, even if the votes recognize who the better politician is!

Yes, PM Abhisit is personable and well spoken to those of us that speak english. However, to the ears of a non English language speaker it means nothing. Yes, he speaks Thai in a polite manner, but it doesn't matter to the listener earning a subsistence wage. What were Mr. Abhisit's achievements prior to entering political life? Aside from the family connections and the old boys networking, what did he really do? Think about it. Was he a captain of industry? Did he distinguish himself by building a company? Was he active in the improvement of Thais lives as a civil rights campaigner, or an advocate of the poor? No. He came from a life of perks and didn't distinguish himself as an individual.

Mr. Thaksin can be called a snivelling thief or an evil person, but the fact is that he was smart enough to go from being an outsider to an insider and to build a fortune in the same way that many of thailand's elite hisos acquired their fortunes. Whatever, Thaksin's faults are ,he has experience as a self made man, a man that built a business empire and a man that went from humble beginnings to the PM's office. He did it on his own. He also fell from power because of his misjudgements. I think he's learnt from his past mistakes and I also think he's tougher than PM Abhisit. I doubt Mr. Abhisit could have stood up to the pounding Mr. Thaksin's taken.I doubt any of the people that take their daily potshots at Thaksin could ever attain a smidgin of his success or could take on all the folks trying to get him.

The fact that Thaksin has survived this long and has had the ability to take his opponents on, despite the odds being against him speaks to his strength and yes, even to his intelligence. He's a fighter, a tough guy that isn't afraid to show his emotional side sometimes. I offer that a great many Thais can see those qualities and gravitate to a guy that they can identify with, a man that might be a wealthy elitist in private, but one who can be seen as a man of the people, a man that is perceived to have the interest of the poor at heart. He might be full of BS, but he does a better job at conveying concern and empathy than Mr. Abhisit. That doesn't mean Mr. Abhisit isn't a decent man or that he is a bad guy. It's just about perceptions.

Very well put, whether you love or hate Thaksin? It would be foolish to ignore or dismiss his type?

A successful 'crook' would make a more effective PM than a honest man full of integrity that there is only black and white, no grey.

In the UK we had Michael Heseltine a successful man outside politics who made his money in private industry and would have been a good PM, but, because he helped wield the knife that brought about Thatcher fall he never got the top jop. The son of a trapeeze artist got the job instead. He won an unlikely election but could not hold things together.

Another person who would of done well as PM (My view) was Geoffery Archer? Had made, lost then made again a fortune in the private world. He fell when found guilty of telling lies in court and asking his friend to lie in court. His crime? Not wanting to admit he had slept with a prostitute..................... Who will cast the first stone??

So I agree with all your comments/points.

Would rather have a strong character in charge who fought his way to the top prize? Than a perceived weak character who was handed the keys for other persons reasons?

Viewing Thai politics through international media every time Abhisit speaks he comes across as reasonable, sensible, articulate and honest (ok so it's an election and everyone is going tp talk up their chances), every time you here Thaksin speak he comes across as sniveling, victimized, flippant or confrontational. Setting aside the character assassinations that both men have had tp weather, there can be no doubt who the better man is, even if the votes recognize who the better politician is!

Yes, PM Abhisit is personable and well spoken to those of us that speak english. However, to the ears of a non English language speaker it means nothing. Yes, he speaks Thai in a polite manner, but it doesn't matter to the listener earning a subsistence wage. What were Mr. Abhisit's achievements prior to entering political life? Aside from the family connections and the old boys networking, what did he really do? Think about it. Was he a captain of industry? Did he distinguish himself by building a company? Was he active in the improvement of Thais lives as a civil rights campaigner, or an advocate of the poor? No. He came from a life of perks and didn't distinguish himself as an individual.

Mr. Thaksin can be called a snivelling thief or an evil person, but the fact is that he was smart enough to go from being an outsider to an insider and to build a fortune in the same way that many of thailand's elite hisos acquired their fortunes. Whatever, Thaksin's faults are ,he has experience as a self made man, a man that built a business empire and a man that went from humble beginnings to the PM's office. He did it on his own. He also fell from power because of his misjudgements. I think he's learnt from his past mistakes and I also think he's tougher than PM Abhisit. I doubt Mr. Abhisit could have stood up to the pounding Mr. Thaksin's taken.I doubt any of the people that take their daily potshots at Thaksin could ever attain a smidgin of his success or could take on all the folks trying to get him.

The fact that Thaksin has survived this long and has had the ability to take his opponents on, despite the odds being against him speaks to his strength and yes, even to his intelligence. He's a fighter, a tough guy that isn't afraid to show his emotional side sometimes. I offer that a great many Thais can see those qualities and gravitate to a guy that they can identify with, a man that might be a wealthy elitist in private, but one who can be seen as a man of the people, a man that is perceived to have the interest of the poor at heart. He might be full of BS, but he does a better job at conveying concern and empathy than Mr. Abhisit. That doesn't mean Mr. Abhisit isn't a decent man or that he is a bad guy. It's just about perceptions.

Very well put, whether you love or hate Thaksin? It would be foolish to ignore or dismiss his type?

A successful 'crook' would make a more effective PM than a honest man full of integrity that there is only black and white, no grey.

In the UK we had Michael Heseltine a successful man outside politics who made his money in private industry and would have been a good PM, but, because he helped wield the knife that brought about Thatcher fall he never got the top jop. The son of a trapeeze artist got the job instead. He won an unlikely election but could not hold things together.

Another person who would of done well as PM (My view) was Geoffery Archer? Had made, lost then made again a fortune in the private world. He fell when found guilty of telling lies in court and asking his friend to lie in court. His crime? Not wanting to admit he had slept with a prostitute..................... Who will cast the first stone??

So I agree with all your comments/points.

Would rather have a strong character in charge who fought his way to the top prize? Than a perceived weak character who was handed the keys for other persons reasons?

If he is so clever why has he spent much of the last 5 years as a peripatetic Montengran called Takki Shinegra unwelcome in any of the major western democracies? He had some good ideas and many poor ones. Is he really worth the trouble he causes? He is a very flawed character to say the least.

Anyway what has he done recently? The last big gig he landed was as Hun sen's prank monkey.

Staging a coup is NOT a criminal act - if Thailand does what PTP is suggesting and provides amnesty for red shirt TLT criminals and fugitves - it will send a message to the Thai people that you can do whatever you like and get away with it!!

It's not a criminal act if you're successful ... retrospectively. I doubt that the stagers of an unsuccessful coup would get much leniency.

True.

Check the definition of Coup de'Etat in the OED or even Wikipedia. Interesting to note that Wiki's text even suggests that should an attempted coup not fully succeed or fail, the likely consequence is civil war. The red protests last year could therefore be defined as an attempted coup, and by the fact that Abhisit's government managed a situation that avoided a civil war from actually taking place through restraint and use of legal systems, I consider that an admirable performance from the government.

It's not a criminal act if you're successful ... retrospectively. I doubt that the stagers of an unsuccessful coup would get much leniency.

True.

Check the definition of Coup de'Etat in the OED or even Wikipedia. Interesting to note that Wiki's text even suggests that should an attempted coup not fully succeed or fail, the likely consequence is civil war. The red protests last year could therefore be defined as an attempted coup, and by the fact that Abhisit's government managed a situation that avoided a civil war from actually taking place through restraint and use of legal systems, I consider that an admirable performance from the government.

I don't think he got a chance to win,and much prefer the Lady to get it.Thailand needs a women in Powerjap.gif

Excuse me... "the Lady", don't you mean "the Puppet"?

A female puppet? Maybe she should be referred to as Judy or Miss Piggy depending on your pro/anti red stance.

If he is so clever why has he spent much of the last 5 years as a peripatetic Montengran called Takki Shinegra unwelcome in any of the major western democracies?

People are still falling for the "Takki Shinegra" press hoax distributed by the Democrats? A simple Google search even turns up photos of Thaksin's new passports, and a zoom shows the name "Shinawatra", not "Shinegra".

True.

Indeed an admirable performance from a government that came to power thanks to a Coup d'Etat..

:rolleyes:

True.

Indeed an admirable performance from a government that came to power thanks to a Coup d'Etat..

:rolleyes:

You may say that the Gen. Surayud government came to power thanks to the coup. Since then we've had THREE other governments. The current (caretaker) government struggled against the global economical crisis and violent protesters. More than a handfull of UDD leaders advocating violence happen to be in k. Thaksin's party's list of candidates, reward for their 'we will fight till the last drop of your blood'. Amazing the economy has shown the progress it has.

Edited by rubl