UK Passport Applications :

UK authorities have announced that soon all applications for new Passports will have to be made to The Identity and Passport Service in the UK.

They have produced a video to explain the changes.

For any insomniacs with a passion for jigsaw puzzles you can view it here. :boring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k64t49JwOvA

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/news/?view=News&id=581203482

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems fine with me, apply online and get it sent to the Brit embassy here. rolleyes.gif

at twice the price of ordinary application - extortion jap.gif & you do not apply online, you download form, send it to Hong Kong & they send it to uk if they do not loose it whistling.gif

Edited by terak69

Now I know what "nanny state" really means: they must have employed the Play School production team to produce that video, which seemed to be aimed specifically at 3 year olds.

"Can you count to 5? Let's count together! And then let's go through the round window to collect your passport. Yippee!"

Another GBP20 on the cost of a passport. :angry:

Well I watched the Janet and John get a new passport video clip, am I the only one that finds it patronising?

No date for moving he entire operation back to the UK, but when they do they will find it very difficult to justify any higher costs for applicants from overseas, save for courier costs, but no doubt they will somehow do so.

Well I watched the Janet and John get a new passport video clip, am I the only one that finds it patronising?

No date for moving he entire operation back to the UK, but when they do they will find it very difficult to justify any higher costs for applicants from overseas, save for courier costs, but no doubt they will somehow do so.

I was under impression it started April 1st (can you believe) jap.gif

God Almighty, I nearly lost the will to live watching that video.

I could never understand why the British Government, once they accepted the principle that photocopies could be sent in lieu of the actual passport, could not have all applicants from overseas send their passport applications directly to the UK instead of a regional centre, via a courier like DHL or Fedex?

Alan

I could never understand why the British Government, once they accepted the principle that photocopies could be sent in lieu of the actual passport, could not have all applicants from overseas send their passport applications directly to the UK instead of a regional centre, via a courier like DHL or Fedex?

Alan

From Thailand you can send photocopies in lieu of passport - why it goes via Hong Kong, maybe keeps 2 mp's in expenses somewhere in the uk until they actually think of sending them directly to uk. That might be next years directive jap.gif

Edited by terak69

From Thailand you can send photocopies in lieu of passport - why it goes via Hong Kong, maybe keeps 2 mp's in expenses somewhere in the uk until they actually think of sending them directly to uk. That might be next years directive

The application doesn't go via Hong Kong, it goes to Hong Kong where the passport is produced.

As I read it, that at some time in the future you will apply directly to the UK, they will produce your new passport and send back. I renew mine in the UK when I'm there, almost half the price.

Of course Thailand can produce a 50 page passport, complete with a biometric chip in a few days, doe 1000 Baht - Amazing Thailand.

From Thailand you can send photocopies in lieu of passport - why it goes via Hong Kong, maybe keeps 2 mp's in expenses somewhere in the uk until they actually think of sending them directly to uk. That might be next years directive

The application doesn't go via Hong Kong, it goes to Hong Kong where the passport is produced.

As I read it, that at some time in the future you will apply directly to the UK, they will produce your new passport and send back. I renew mine in the UK when I'm there, almost half the price.

Of course Thailand can produce a 50 page passport, complete with a biometric chip in a few days, doe 1000 Baht - Amazing Thailand.

So the new service DIDN'T start on the 1st April ?? jap.gif

Fell sorry for you UK citizen. :o

How do you accepts this.

First Hong Kong, now UK.

Next year....

Can't you get decent consular service in Thailand?

Decent consular service - expensive passport service, as someone quoted we pay for the Pimm's etc mad.gif

How do you accepts this.

First Hong Kong, now UK.

Next year....

My dealings with UK Consul in Chiang Mai have been incredibly positive, the young lass there really goes above and beyond the call of duty, whereas the Australian Consulate service is virtually non existent. ( I have dual nationality)

Two years ago I tried to renew my UK passport in the UK

and was told I could not, as I live overseas.............

Utter nonsense.

They did nothing fo em but still kept the fee.......

B***ards

Two years ago I tried to renew my UK passport in the UK

and was told I could not, as I live overseas.............

Utter nonsense.

You cannot, currently, apply to renew your passport from overseas, but if you are visiting the UK you can still apply in person:

Non-UK residents and those temporarily outside the UK

If you do not live in the UK, you can apply in person to renew your passport while visiting the UK.

IPS cannot accept applications from overseas. If you would like to renew your British Passport while outside the UK, you will need to contact your local embassy, high commission or consulate.

http://www.direct.go...ation/DG_183772

So you don't actually have to go to the UK you just have to send your application and soon to be expired passport there with some cash and they'll post you a new one. Is that correct? I recently renewed mine in BKK so I'm good for the next 9 years but I can't see how they're loosing 8 million a year as my renewal cost me about 150 quid (if I remember well?) which I thought was a lot of money for some clerk at the consular to simply tap into a UK central database online and update my info. How can they be loosing money as all you get for your money is 20 odd sheets of paper in a cheap cardboard cover, an online connection to a central database and 30 minutes of staff member time to process the application and on top of that you have to pay the postage. Makes no sense?

Bluddy 'ell - wot a loada wanke_rs! :wacko:

Used to be proud to be English British, nowadays it's more a pain in the arse. No wonder people tend to guffaw when they learn where I'm from...:boring:

Is this yet ANOTHER remains of the New Labour fiasco, I wonder, or are the Tories going just as bleedin' bonkers as Gordon B. and his mob were? :passifier:

Time to :burp: and :drunk:, methinks......

How do you accepts this.

First Hong Kong, now UK.

Next year....

My dealings with UK Consul in Chiang Mai have been incredibly positive, the young lass there really goes above and beyond the call of duty, whereas the Australian Consulate service is virtually non existent. ( I have dual nationality)

Ive found the exact opposite in Bkk with them.

Does anyone know of another country that charges more than the UK for passports?

Most other foreigners I know get charged a lot less for their passports, and get more pages too.

"Rip off Britain" really earns it's reputation nowadays doesn't it?

I get mine renewed in under an hour when I'm in the UK for the same price as the overseas service.

Why has it taken so long to appear here from when the FCO & the IPS announced it in not long after the New Year?

Does anyone know of another country that charges more than the UK for passports?

Most other foreigners I know get charged a lot less for their passports, and get more pages too.

"Rip off Britain" really earns it's reputation nowadays doesn't it?

Now you have to apply to Hong Kong and it works out at about 159 quid then postage on top. Here's the link for anyone who needs it

http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/how-to-apply/thailand/renewals

Edited by Jirapa

Alan

Simple reason - IT MAKES SENSE.

The US accepts all passport applications at its embassies and consulates worldwide then forwards then via diplomatic pouch to the Department of State where they are processed and returned in 14 days or less. Our renewal rates went up last year but I understand nowhere near as expensive as the UK Passport. US costs $135 for a new one and $90 for renewal. Extra pages were free just over a year ago now they cost $82. Just more excuses to screw us all.

Good luck to you all.

Nice video, presumably made by the Teletubbies team. Not so nice is the 150 knickers punch up the froat for pensioners renewing old 40-quid passport - for the enormous privilege of not having to live in the UK.

Ah, but our shiny new passports will be more 'secure'? Presumably that means we pay the (very wonderful) UK secret police to put all our personal data on an embedded passport microchip, & if the Vogons are still not happy, they can grope in our underpants, or force us to strip in the airport. Believe, work, obey. B******s. OGT

Nice video, presumably made by the Teletubbies team. Not so nice is the 150 knickers punch up the froat for pensioners renewing old 40-quid passport - for the enormous privilege of not having to live in the UK.

Ah, but our shiny new passports will be more 'secure'? Presumably that means we pay the (very wonderful) UK secret police to put all our personal data on an embedded passport microchip, & if the Vogons are still not happy, they can grope in our underpants, or force us to strip in the airport. Believe, work, obey. B******s. OGT

spoke to some one in Rawai - it cost him 9000 baht to renew uk passport mad.gif

If this minor 'change' upsets so many people, what on earth will they do when they request that all passport applications and renewals require a face-to-face interview with the applicant?

In the UK!

It's not the 'minor changes' that upset me - it's the idiotic system they intend to use & the inevitable price increases. Face to face interviews, I do not think could ever happen unless uk becomes a dictatorship, maybe next year then whistling.gif