Warfarin

Phil Conners

I know that Coumadin (Warfarin) is available in Thailand. I am not sure how many hospitals do coumadin level monitoring though ....

I have no idea what the cost is but I would expect the generic to be cheap. (Really just replying to bounce the topic for you)

Yes, Warfarin or Coumadin is readily available and not really expensive. If he knows his current dose, it should not be a problem at all. Doing control tests should be available at about all hospitals locally.

Further to my above response, PRADAXA is available in Thailand, this is a safer drug than warfin to control blood thinner.Also does not require blood test monitoring.It is a very new drug, you can get more info via google. It is expensive.

Lefty

• 4 weeks later...

Just to play the smartass, we are not talking blood thinners but inhibiting the bloods ability to clot. These are two separate things.

I buy 100 3mg Orfarin for 600 THB at a pharmacy on Pattya Tai and pay the clinic on Naklua Road 300 baht for a weekly INR test. He sends me the results same day by e-mail. International Hospital charged 470 THB and BPH wanted in excess of 700 THB.

It seems that I am being taken for a ride over the cost of the medication. I'll have to ask around.

Edited by Bagwan

I pay 480 baht for 100 3mg warfin pills here in Korat. Monthly INR blood test runs 580 baht and results in 1 hour.

Lefty

i take warfarin every day as i had a new aota valve fitted,i also have my inr done every 6weeks but i only pay 200bht and the results are faxed within the hr,i to live in korat.

some advice i must post regarding warfarin,wfn is a drug used after heart surgery,it must only be prescribed by your surgeon,if you are leaving the country where you had your surgery you must have your blood checked at least twice a week till you maintain a safe clotting level[it took me 11months before it became steady within the dosedge levals in my case between 2-3.it is not a drug which is used to thin the blood,it is an anticoagulated which keeps your blood at the right ratio [inr] and you must stick to the advice given,to much wfn.or too little can result in serious bleeding or clot the blood which would then stop the blood flowing smoothly which could result in serious consequences.one thing you must aviod is cranberry jus.or any thing that contains the berries and also take your wfn.at the same time every day and if you are going to have any dental treatment you must in form your dentist/docter if you have not seen them before,anyone that needs any info about warfarin i have an advice[6pages]which was given to me by the cardiac surgery dept.at the hospice that done my op.

My wife has to take it for the rest of her life. Can be bought quite cheap over the counter from a couple of stores at Saphan Kwai, but as another said here. You must know what your exact dose is, and those 2 weekly blood run ups are vital in the first year, to find your correct level. It was originally used as a "rat poison" remember...... She had surgery 3 years ago now, but still gets a 3 monthly checkup.

• 3 months later...

Bump to this Topic....

Does anyone know where one might purchase an INR test kit in Thailand?

Edit: I just noticed PRADAXA is available in Thailand, however it is not yet FDA approved (in the States) and some insurance will not permit its use. There have been no clinical trials on DVT and Pulmonary Embolism patients.

I do hope a better alternative to Warfarin becomes available and FDA approved in the near future.

Edited by richard_smith237

For those who want to/have to stock up on Warfarin, be sure to keep out of sunlight. While less expensive, the bottles of 100 can lose potency faster than those individually packed in the blister/bubble packs. If you live away from major cities, it might not be easy to avoid, but needless stocking up not advised. The HOME TEST kits are called PT/INR Monitoring systems. Amazon.com has them for as low as $307 US. Higher priced ones, a different manufacturer range from $950 to 1,300 US. The difference, I don't know. Test strips look to be about $4 each. Interesting to see many on Warfarin. I went to Bangkok for a few days and forgot my pills. I had to make a few stops before I found them at Chulalonghorn Pharmacy on near the Jim Thompson store on Suriwong.

Bump to this Topic....

Edit: I just noticed PRADAXA is available in Thailand, however it is not yet FDA approved (in the States) and some insurance will not permit its use. There have been no clinical trials on DVT and Pulmonary Embolism patients.

I do hope a better alternative to Warfarin becomes available and FDA approved in the near future.

where in thailand are you,i must have my inr tested every 4-6weeks.i go to a well run private blood lab,200bht results by fax within 2hrs.

I'm in Bangkok. However, frequent travel has me away for months on end. Regular INR checkups at a local hospitals are not only impractical, but impossible. Self monitoring is my only option.

The PT/INR self test kits give a result from a finger pin prick of blood within 1 minute and IMO a much safer option when regularly self checking and backing up the self check results with hospital blood checks when possible.

Bump to this Topic....

where in thailand are you,i must have my inr tested every 4-6weeks.i go to a well run private blood lab,200bht results by fax within 2hrs.

Have the INR done here in Pattaya at a local lab, 400 THB and results within 1 minute. They use the same machine as I saw in the US, unlike there, here they place your blood drop directly on the strip and insert into the machine Have not checked prices at any of the local hospitals

Bump to this Topic....

Have the INR done here in Pattaya at a local lab, 400 THB and results within 1 minute. They use the same machine as I saw in the US, unlike there, here they place your blood drop directly on the strip and insert into the machine Have not checked prices at any of the local hospitals

Thats exactly the type of test kit I'm looking for... the most common is made by Coagucheck, phillips also make one... Finding out where to purchase one in Bangkok is the tricky part.

Finding local medical suppliers over the internet is proving fruitless. I'm off to the hospital to se what direction they can point me in.

My medical insurance company is yet to respond to a request for information on this matter.

For anyone on Warfarin who is or will look at this thread in the future... and who is interested in self INR testing..

(Blood thickness) PT/INR test kits (Coagucheck) are available at the Bumrungrad Hosptial and Samitivej Hospital shops for between B26-28,000 baht. A packet of 24 strips are B5070.

9 tests a year x 200bht=1800bht 33,000bht divide x1800=18 years of testing,if i live another 18years yippeeeeeeeee,op you could do a few tests on the side to recoup some of the costs,not cheap are they.good luck.

For anyone on Warfarin who is or will look at this thread in the future... and who is interested in self INR testing..

(Blood thickness) PT/INR test kits (Coagucheck) are available at the Bumrungrad Hosptial and Samitivej Hospital shops for between B26-28,000 baht. A packet of 24 strips are B5070.

Just about the same price as on Amazon but no shipping or custom duties

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K6QU2G/ref=s9_simh_gw_p121_d0_g121_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0E54NSR4XVZ1ZZ94D0RZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Now you need to find out if your medical insurance will pay for it !

meatboy I think that richard_smith237 is in a unique situation in that he cannot count on being able to have a test done due to travel, and even if he did find somewhere during his travels it is recommended that you use the same lab, since different labs' results can differ substantially

Just about the same price as on Amazon but no shipping or custom duties

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K6QU2G/ref=s9_simh_gw_p121_d0_g121_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0E54NSR4XVZ1ZZ94D0RZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Now you need to find out if your medical insurance will pay for it !

meatboy I think that richard_smith237 is in a unique situation in that he cannot count on being able to have a test done due to travel, and even if he did find somewhere during his travels it is recommended that you use the same lab, since different labs' results can differ substantially

I'm currently covered under SOS (by my company) and privately by BUPA International. SOS covered a medivac and hospital treatment in Singapore for a Pulmonary Embolism. BUPA are covering out patient blood tests in Thailand. Neither company will cover the self test kit or the strips.

Both companies were unable to located somewhere which could rent out the kit for a year.

The price of the test kit and strips is a minor point when offset against the fact that I can now monitor my INR more regularly and when away at work.

An additional benefit is that I can also enjoy a drink and not worry too much about how out of range my INR might have drifted... I can check my INR myself and it appears to remain within between 2.5 and 3.2 (3.4 at its highest. my therapeutic range is supposed to be within 2.0 and 3.0).

r.m.237 your inr.range is the same as mine after the first year they got my doesage right,the last 3years it has been good,only once it was all wrong and that was my fault changed my tabs from 3grm to 1grm so i was out by .5,1.7 when it had been 2.3-2.7,i drink once a week and my reading hasnt been effected,whish they could test it without the needle i flipping hate it.

• 1 month later...

I had DVT about 18 months ago and have had great difficulty in achieving a stable therapeutic INR, between 2 - 3, with Warfarin.

I brought a Coagucheck INR test kit from England as I thought this would make things easier to control . The test strips there cost the equivalent of about 3,200 baht for 24 (65 pounds); so cheaper than Thailand but quite expensive. However their storage temperature range is specified as 2 - 30 degrees centigrade which means a fridge is at the very bottom end, and room temperature at the top. This week I tried 3 times to do a test after the strips had been in the fridge for the week and got an error message each time. As I've done successful tests before I wonder if this was a result of refrigeration. It may be if you wish to do self testing that the strips, if not the meter, should be bought over here specifically formulated for tropical use.

As I stay in Pattaya I'm sure I will find a clinic who can test for me but it's annoying given the price of the meter and the strips. If anyone has any any useful advice it will be gratefully received.

Warfarin (as Orfarin) is easily available but usually only by the 100.