High-End Tourists

Darrel

Surely if you make posts you don't expect everyone to agree with your point of view - which in this case shows little concern for people suffering hardship.

I'm delighted when people disagree with me. It would all be just too boring otherwise. You, however, seem to turn disagreement into a habit. Not that it bothers me at all.

Nonsense.

I reply on very few threads and only ones where I would consider my insight to be of some interest to the topic. I can think of only 2 topics I have posted on this week.

In this case you're mocking people on "hard street". I despise such an attitude, so don't feel my reply is a dig at you personally as I would have replied similarly to anyone who had posted such a pathetic topic about people doing it tough.

Some people believe beggars and other unfortunates should be swept away like garbage. Others see them as people with problems who could use some help. You've made it well clear which type you are.

I agree with you.

Apart from the obvious Conmen,who knows what horrors and bad luck these people have suffered to descend to the begging level? some people can go so far down,and lose the will to fight back, and can't get back up again.

To paraphrase: "there but for the grace of God go any of us"........ given the right circumstances.

Edited by MAJIC

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely if you make posts you don't expect everyone to agree with your point of view - which in this case shows little concern for people suffering hardship.

I'm delighted when people disagree with me. It would all be just too boring otherwise. You, however, seem to turn disagreement into a habit. Not that it bothers me at all.

Nonsense.

I reply on very few threads and only ones where I would consider my insight to be of some interest to the topic. I can think of only 2 topics I have posted on this week.

In this case you're mocking people on "hard street". I despise such an attitude, so don't feel my reply is a dig at you personally as I would have replied similarly to anyone who had posted such a pathetic topic about people doing it tough.

Some people believe beggars and other unfortunates should be swept away like garbage. Others see them as people with problems who could use some help. You've made it well clear which type you are.

I agree with you.

Apart from the obvious Conmen,who knows what horrors and bad luck these people have suffered to descend to the begging level? some people can go so far down,and lose the will to fight back, and can't get back up again.

To paraphrase: "there but for the grace of God go any of us"........ given the right circumstances.

I've met both Thai and foreigner(in Thailand) in this situation. In their cases, they were too ashamed to go home. They had fallen down so far and felt that they couldn't go home that way.

Perhaps hard for some of us to imagine. Of course some characters garner more sympathy than others.

No matter if you have done really well for yourself or on your arse penniless some folk with low self-esteem will find flaws in that person whatever their situation.

So true! Maybe somewhere in the middle is the safest place to be, although then some people will start having a go at you for being average or mediocre.

You must really have to have some messed up relationships to not have a single family or friend to rely on. Sink all your boats and burn your bridges. Not too smart.

Edited by chops

You must really have to have some messed up relationships to not have a single family or friend to rely on. Sink all your boats and burn your bridges. Not too smart.

Many reasons this can happen too. Particularly if the person is addicted to drugs or alcohol.....or depressed or mentally ill.

Mind you I agree for every one of those there are likely ten who simply have no intention of returning home and doing some work.

Darrel - you're certainly not a humanitarian are you? I would have been more concerned about their well-being than their visa status.

Here's one possible reason (only one of many). I'm going to use a story I know about a vagrant foreigner in the Philippines to illustrate it.

This Australian was penniless in a rural province of the Philippines. He just wandered around the roads (rice & sugar cane fields) accepting food from the locals. He was heartbroken when the woman he loved, (the woman whom he spent his last dime on... the mother of their child) kicked him out when his funds ran out. He decided he wanted to die there rather than return to Australia. The mayor of the town even bought him a ticket home which he refused.

Not once was anyone remotely interested in his visa status. The locals treated him well.

Have some heart next time you see someone down on his luck.

The Australian Embassy would get any Australian with no money back to Australia, and Australia has one of the best social security services for people that have no work or to old or what ever, No excuse for any Australia to begg in Australia or overseas, if they have a mental problem their embassay shold be imformed and they would be taken care off.

.....then some people will start having a go at you for being average or mediocre.

Or indeed for not being sympathetic enough.

Talk really is cheap, holier than thou talk even more so. But I wonder how many of the bleeding hearts in this thread actually went to Beach Rd and donated cash to the "down and out" farangs there, or whether they decided that berating others for not doing so was enough of a good deed for one day/year/lifetime?

Not many, I suspect.

.....then some people will start having a go at you for being average or mediocre.

Talk really is cheap, holier than thou talk even more so. But I wonder how many of the bleeding hearts in this thread actually went to Beach Rd and donated cash to the "down and out" farangs there, or whether they decided that berating others for not doing so was enough of a good deed for one day/year/lifetime?

Not many, I suspect.

+ 1 none I expect - bar mental illness/addiction I would think that peoples scorn of farang down and outs is the knowledge that they probably have moved here and been in a favourable position compared to your average thai so therefore must be pretty stupid to end up penniless , generalisation i know but prob tru

Darrel - you're certainly not a humanitarian are you? I would have been more concerned about their well-being than their visa status.

Here's one possible reason (only one of many). I'm going to use a story I know about a vagrant foreigner in the Philippines to illustrate it.

This Australian was penniless in a rural province of the Philippines. He just wandered around the roads (rice & sugar cane fields) accepting food from the locals. He was heartbroken when the woman he loved, (the woman whom he spent his last dime on... the mother of their child) kicked him out when his funds ran out. He decided he wanted to die there rather than return to Australia. The mayor of the town even bought him a ticket home which he refused.

Not once was anyone remotely interested in his visa status. The locals treated him well.

Have some heart next time you see someone down on his luck.

The Australian Embassy would get any Australian with no money back to Australia, and Australia has one of the best social security services for people that have no work or to old or what ever, No excuse for any Australia to begg in Australia or overseas, if they have a mental problem their embassay shold be imformed and they would be taken care off.

Thanks for the info. I don't know if what you say is true but the forlorn Australian in my story did not wish to go home. He was offered a ticket home by the mayor of the town. Even getting to the Australian Embassy in Manila (many islands and over 1000km away) would have been a stretch for a guy without any money. Even if he had managed to get there I'm sure it would not have been a simple process as you seem to think it is.

Not many, I suspect.

I spend a lot of money on charity so maybe I am holier than thou? I don't mock people on hard street, so that's a good start.

I've never come into contact with these guys you mention on here, but even if I did I wouldn't have rushed home to make a thread on this forum for the sole purpose of mocking them.

So you've never suffered from any hardships in your life because you're too smart?

I spend a lot of money on charity so maybe I am holier than thou? I don't mock people on hard street, so that's a good start.

I've never come into contact with these guys you mention on here, but even if I did I wouldn't have rushed home to make a thread on this forum for the sole purpose of mocking them.

I spend 10% of my income on charity and I have the receipts to prove it. These are ecological and animal charities, not human ones. There are far too many humans around for the good of the planet, and I will do nothing to increase that number. When I die the same charities will get everything I have, which will probably be quite a lot as it still seems to increase in real terms every year, in spite of the economic downturn.

And I wasnt mocking anyone at all (except perhaps you). I was just reporting something I saw which I had not previously noticed as being so prevalent. I dont care at all about what they do, they are welcome to do it, but I wont be giving them any money nor will I be losing any sleep over them (except perhaps the Soi Diana loony who does indeed need help).

You are the one who generally posts in order to denigrate others. If you want to do some good, rather than telling posters on here what to do, the guys in question are just down on Beach Rd and I'm sure they would be delighted to hear from you and to relieve you of some of your wealth. As I suspected though, you prefer to criticise others on here rather than put your money where your mouth is. Or even to put your mouth where your mouth is. Dont tell me to go and talk to them; I dont want to. Just go and do it yourself.

It seems that this thread is bringing out the best in everyone here!

I feel sorry for anyone who is down and out and the lack of compassion shown by some here is more of a reflection on them than anything else.

In fact it is not just those down and outs living on the street that deserve sympathy but a whole bunch of expats in pattaya who live miserable lives hopping from one barstool to another and searching for 99 baht buffet meals. Now that is really sad.

It seems that this thread is bringing out the best in everyone here!

I feel sorry for anyone who is down and out and the lack of compassion shown by some here is more of a reflection on them than anything else.

In fact it is not just those down and outs living on the street that deserve sympathy but a whole bunch of expats in pattaya who live miserable lives hopping from one barstool to another and searching for 99 baht buffet meals. Now that is really sad.

lucky enough for me i dont live there anymore!! not everyone in pattaya fits this stereotype? I spent a good few years producin music in Pattaya and only got drunk at the weekends...didn't cheat on my partner ete etc ...

[

lucky enough for me i dont live there anymore!! not everyone in pattaya fits this stereotype? I spent a good few years producin music in Pattaya and only got drunk at the weekends...didn't cheat on my partner ete etc ...

Love this opening line,

"lucky enough for me i dont live there anymore!!"

Good God man you are not allowed to talk like that on here, pure unadulterated blasphemy the Pattaya defenders will be all over you like a rash.

Tried, convicted and hung drawn and quartered for treason, sedition, heresy and probably a few more I cant think of right now.

[

Love this opening line,

"lucky enough for me i dont live there anymore!!"

Good God man you are not allowed to talk like that on here, pure unadulterated blasphemy the Pattaya defenders will be all over you like a rash.

Tried, convicted and hung drawn and quartered for treason, sedition, heresy and probably a few more I cant think of right now.

hey man I liked patttaya for partying and nightlife but didn't get too caught up in it...luckily, lived there on an off for three years and thats enough ....now live in sattahip ( when Im in Thailand)......for every good point there is a downer though but if we need pattaya it is jus down the road!! forum members ready the guillotine lolz

Maybe people enjoy hopping from barstools and looking for 99B buffets. Maybe they dont. Having never set foot in a bar since about 20 years ago, I really cant say. Either way, it's entirely their business and none of yours or mine. I expect that they would consider your lifestyle to be tedious and dull, based on what they might imagine you do from your posts on here. But neither they nor you have the right to criticise each other based on such precarious assumptions, nor to describe them as miserable. As long as they (or you) can fund their own lifestyle they have the perfect right to continue doing it. And for what it's worth I suspect that they probably arent miserable at all.

There really are an extraordinary number of people on here who find it perfectly acceptable to criticise anyone who doesnt live and think exactly like they do, and treat them as being in some way poorer for it, even when the reverse is more likely true.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mote+eye+beam

I spend 10% of my income on charity and I have the receipts to prove it. These are ecological and animal charities, not human ones. There are far too many humans around for the good of the planet, and I will do nothing to increase that number. When I die the same charities will get everything I have, which will probably be quite a lot as it still seems to increase in real terms every year, in spite of the economic downturn.

And I wasnt mocking anyone at all (except perhaps you). I was just reporting something I saw which I had not previously noticed as being so prevalent. I dont care at all about what they do, they are welcome to do it, but I wont be giving them any money nor will I be losing any sleep over them (except perhaps the Soi Diana loony who does indeed need help).

You are the one who generally posts in order to denigrate others. If you want to do some good, rather than telling posters on here what to do, the guys in question are just down on Beach Rd and I'm sure they would be delighted to hear from you and to relieve you of some of your wealth. As I suspected though, you prefer to criticise others on here rather than put your money where your mouth is. Or even to put your mouth where your mouth is. Dont tell me to go and talk to them; I dont want to. Just go and do it yourself.

I made my point clear, so stop crying about it. As you say, you care far more about animals than human beings, therefore we know exactly what you think about these street people.

"Too many humans around for the good of this planet" you say? Ok, instead of cheap talk why don't you do something positive about this. You go first.

Edited by tropo

Maybe people enjoy hopping from barstools and looking for 99B buffets. Maybe they dont. Having never set foot in a bar since about 20 years ago, I really cant say. Either way, it's entirely their business and none of yours or mine. I expect that they would consider your lifestyle to be tedious and dull, based on what they might imagine you do from your posts on here. But neither they nor you have the right to criticise each other based on such precarious assumptions, nor to describe them as miserable. As long as they (or you) can fund their own lifestyle they have the perfect right to continue doing it. And for what it's worth I suspect that they probably arent miserable at all.

There really are an extraordinary number of people on here who find it perfectly acceptable to criticise anyone who doesnt live and think exactly like they do, and treat them as being in some way poorer for it, even when the reverse is more likely true.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mote+eye+beam

Well a forum like this is designed partly for expressing views and opinions which is what I am doing mister crouchy.

Those expats look pretty miserable to me but hey maybe I am wrong and they are having a barrel of laughs spending all day sipping 40 baht beers staring into space planning where their next cheap buffet meal is coming from. :blink:

'they only come out at night"

As of today, they dont.

Walked past the Apex on 2nd Road at about 1pm. Squatting outside was a black guy with a smart rucksack, a copy of the Lonely Planet guide to Thailand, and a plastic cup with some coins and a 20B note in it.

He was addressing his attention to passing Thais, holding out his cup and saying "sawatdee kap".

It all goes from bad to worse.

'they only come out at night"

As of today, they dont.

Walked past the Apex on 2nd Road at about 1pm. Squatting outside was a black guy with a smart rucksack, a copy of the Lonely Planet guide to Thailand, and a plastic cup with some coins and a 20B note in it.

He was addressing his attention to passing Thais, holding out his cup and saying "sawatdee kap".

It all goes from bad to worse.

Actually I would say its an improvement, at least he wasnt selling drugs.

Hope you told him his takings may improve if he uses the phrase, kor tang noi.

Can we be sure? It may be a front.

Either way I bet the Cambodian women who usually beg near there were pretty mad.

Can we be sure? It may be a front.

Either way I bet the Cambodian women who usually beg near there were pretty mad.

You could rename this thread "beggar patrol" and inform us on each new candidate.:lol:

Incidentally, what do you think about handicapped beggars? Are they a waste of space or should they be allowed to live?

You could rename this thread "beggar patrol" and inform us on each new candidate.:lol:

I'm game. I have no idea why so many of them have surfaced recently though.

Incidentally, what do you think about handicapped beggars? Are they a waste of space or should they be allowed to live?

I think I covered this quite concisely much earlier in the thread

I feel sorry for people here who for no fault of their own are obliged to beg, and this includes handicapped Thai people. It does not include begging farangs in Thailand, as they can just go home.

I feel sorry for people who have to travel far from home to sell trinkets to tourists in order to make a living.

I feel sorry for people like the Soi Diana guy who clearly cant think straight. They need help and his Embassy or consulate should be helping them.

I care to a small extent when a farang makes a fool of himself (and by extraction of other farangs, including me) by sitting in the gutter begging, or getting plastered in public, or fighting etc. etc. etc., but I dont feel sorry for him. He can just go home and get a job, or go home and let his government take care of him. He has no reason to be begging/drunk/fighting here. If I were involved with Thai immigration I would deport them very quickly indeed.