Thai Army Chief Enters Election Fray

webfact

Truth is we don't know that much about her but my initial favourable impression remains.

As far as not knowing much about her is concerned, this was actually the point i was making when we were discussing her alleged merits a week or so back. You were the one saying she was obviously intelligent and capable, and i was the one questioning how we could so quickly draw such a conclusion, bearing in mind what we have to go on is pretty thin - we have an education record that is ok but hardly dazzling, and we have a career history of only ever having worked for her brother's companies, making it hard to know whether those lofty positions, such as President of AIS, were earnt on merit.

Your counter-argument to that issue was sister of Thaksin or not, deadwood would not be tolerated, and to an extent i agree - if she was completely useless then she wouldn't have survived, but there is a big difference between middle-management and CEO material, or for that matter, middle management and leader of a nation material.

Anyway, as i say, my position then was one of, let's wait and see before we start any trumpet blowing. Now, a week or so on, having the benefit of seeing her in the public spot-light and in interview situations, i have to say that i feel fairly underwhelmed.

Just taking that interview that i linked to in my earlier post in isolation, i would have to say that if her stated position on encomic matters is coming out as jumbled and as nonsensical in surroundings as relaxed as those, how is she going to cope when really under pressure?

I was looking forward to hearing your opinion on what she said there, but you neglected to do so, prefering rather to speak of what you think other people's opinion is of her. For me, i'm rather more interested in hearing what you think. Yes, i know full well that as someone who can not vote, your opinion counts for nothing in terms of deciding Thailand's future, just like mine, but this forum is clearly not here for deciding Thailand's future, it is here for exchanging our own views, all of which are equal, voter and non-voter alike. Sorry for stating the obvious but it seems some people are unaware of all this, as shown by the daily repeated sentiments we see from certain posters along the lines of "you are not a Thai, you can't vote, stop expressing an opinion" (should be noted that these sentiments usually seem to be expressed when someone offers an opinion that differs from their own).

Anyway, i have digressed off onto a completely different topic, so just to try and end by bringing it back to my original point, if you care to offer your own opinion on the aforementioned interview, i would be interested to hear it.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the military of Thailand is perpetually poised and ready to take the reigns at any time they choose. Only takes one loose cannon and a fat enough cash stuffed envelope and its a done deal!

A "fat enough cash stuffed envelope" from Yingluck to Prayuth could buy allegiance. I wonder if Yingluck's reason for a meeting with Prayuth was to set up some kind of deal to guarantee no coup (or any other kind of ouster) against a Pheu Thai government.

I honestly don't see what the problem is.

Prayuth is reminding everybody that if they (are naive enough to) vote in the same pattern, the result is going to be the same as the last couple of attempts, with the country left on hold, or moving backwards, just for the gain of a few individuals.

The usual suspects will end up with their grubby snouts in the trough from day dot, they will guzzle & guzzle until there is nothing left, and then they will go and borrow more leaving a huge clean up bill for those who have to fix the devastation. All the people who voted for them will happily be further in debt and vote for them again in the next bigger & better "debt relief" scheme.

Then those who are smart enough to see that they (and their children) are footing the bill will start to make some noise, and so on, and so on.

Good on you Prayuth for asking the general populace to remove the blinkers, and cast aside the spellbinding magic show courtesy of the Shinawatra grand marketing machine.

I don't think that the people are naive at all. There is in fact a huge disparity between those who benefit from the country's progress and those who don't. The naive one's are the leaders who have not given proper attention to this issue which has been simmering since the 1932 revolution. There are plenty of examples of developing country's around the world who are keeping out ahead of this issue and applying appropriate measures. The proper approach is more than just handing out money, it involves handing out hope for the future.

When the disparity in opportunity/hope between the have's and the have not's reaches critical mass the people, any people will become discontent and if ignored they will become unruly. The Thai people appear to be fed up with the meager leftovers they are being fed. All the while the rich, connected Thai's benefit the most. They are the one's that "have their grubby snouts in the trough."

What the rich Thai's (yellows) fail to realize is that there is a proper way to bring all the citizens along with the country's development, if they were smart about it. There are many examples of country's who seem to be doing just fine with that process in spite of huge global pressures to cave in to greed.

I assume that your talking about poor farmers guzzling until there is nothing left and then go borrow more and leave a huge clean up bill, with the country left on hold. All the farmers in Thailand could be paid to sit on their asses forever and the cost would not come close to the money that's wasted by the rich and the government and the false economy of corruption.

You should be more clear about who your talking about when describing unregulated greed destroying a country's economy. you could be misunderstood to be talking about the US who beginning with reagan sold the future of America to the highest bidder. When or if the fat, lazy, naive, American's get off their asses and decide to do something besides eat themselves to death you can be sure the US Army will be there to shoot them down like dogs.

tbh what you have posted actually applies to every western country, there is a top 10% of the population that hold 90% of the wealth, all these bank bailouts over the last year or so by the average Joe tax payer designed to lessen the impact of these top 10%, we where all fleeced - they lost very little, there are a lot of very rich people out there who took their profits before the 5hit hit the fan which caused the meltdown in the first place........................the most massive scam in human history - do a bit of reading about hedge funds and the bond market and how it is all controlled and connected - corruption at it's best and most evil

I honestly don't see what the problem is.

Prayuth is reminding everybody that if they (are naive enough to) vote in the same pattern, the result is going to be the same as the last couple of attempts, with the country left on hold, or moving backwards, just for the gain of a few individuals.

The usual suspects will end up with their grubby snouts in the trough from day dot, they will guzzle & guzzle until there is nothing left, and then they will go and borrow more leaving a huge clean up bill for those who have to fix the devastation. All the people who voted for them will happily be further in debt and vote for them again in the next bigger & better "debt relief" scheme.

Then those who are smart enough to see that they (and their children) are footing the bill will start to make some noise, and so on, and so on.

Good on you Prayuth for asking the general populace to remove the blinkers, and cast aside the spellbinding magic show courtesy of the Shinawatra grand marketing machine.

I don't think that the people are naive at all. There is in fact a huge disparity between those who benefit from the country's progress and those who don't. The naive one's are the leaders who have not given proper attention to this issue which has been simmering since the 1932 revolution. There are plenty of examples of developing country's around the world who are keeping out ahead of this issue and applying appropriate measures. The proper approach is more than just handing out money, it involves handing out hope for the future.

When the disparity in opportunity/hope between the have's and the have not's reaches critical mass the people, any people will become discontent and if ignored they will become unruly. The Thai people appear to be fed up with the meager leftovers they are being fed. All the while the rich, connected Thai's benefit the most. They are the one's that "have their grubby snouts in the trough."

What the rich Thai's (yellows) fail to realize is that there is a proper way to bring all the citizens along with the country's development, if they were smart about it. There are many examples of country's who seem to be doing just fine with that process in spite of huge global pressures to cave in to greed.

I assume that your talking about poor farmers guzzling until there is nothing left and then go borrow more and leave a huge clean up bill, with the country left on hold. All the farmers in Thailand could be paid to sit on their asses forever and the cost would not come close to the money that's wasted by the rich and the government and the false economy of corruption.

You should be more clear about who your talking about when describing unregulated greed destroying a country's economy. you could be misunderstood to be talking about the US who beginning with reagan sold the future of America to the highest bidder. When or if the fat, lazy, naive, American's get off their asses and decide to do something besides eat themselves to death you can be sure the US Army will be there to shoot them down like dogs.

tbh what you have posted actually applies to every western country, there is a top 10% of the population that hold 90% of the wealth, all these bank bailouts over the last year or so by the average Joe tax payer designed to lessen the impact of these top 10%, we where all fleeced - they lost very little, there are a lot of very rich people out there who took their profits before the 5hit hit the fan which caused the meltdown in the first place........................the most massive scam in human history - do a bit of reading about hedge funds and the bond market and how it is all controlled and connected - corruption at it's best and most evil

Yup, its true. But just because it goes on in the West, doesn't mean it is acceptable elsewhere. If the problem gets big enough for long enough, the people will eventually show that they have had enough.

Yes every month my mother in law receives one.:jap:

Sorry, but that is not proof.

http://thainews.prd....id=255205220023

That article describes the employment based retirement pension system. There apparently are qualifiers for the age pension but I can't find what they are. The pension discussed is for poor people and ironically was enacted by Taksin. I will be happy to ask my wife when she gets home if any of the old folks that we are supporting are recieving benefits.

BTW, I'm not trying to break your balls, I just want to know the facts. I have a text into my wife and she will know, or find out.

The pension began in the Spring of 2009. It had nothing to do with Thaksni. Maybe he started a Montenagran pension scheme and you're confused?

Not everyone qualifies for it. Two years ago my wife tried to get her mother on it, but as she was already receiving a 17,000 Baht/Mo pension at the time. She was deemed not needy. People who actually know Thai people know this has been in place for over two years now.

Edited by lannarebirth

The THB 500 / month is a fact.

I'm sorry but you are misinformed.

Yes i agree also, my fellow dutchman is a bit off the mark.

If I am a bit off the mark, please tell me how. An explanation would be nice (zelfs als 't van een andere Nederlander komt) ;)

No answer to be expected. Another newbie banned within 11 hours and two posts (or maybe three with the last removed?)

I guess I'll also never know if this member really was a fellow Dutchman as he claimed.

The pension began in the Spring of 2009. It had nothing to do with Thaksni. Maybe he started a Montenagran pension scheme and you're confused?

Not everyone qualifies for it. Two years ago my wife tried to get her mother on it, but as she was already receiving a 17,000 Baht/Mo pension at the time. She was deemed not needy. People who actually know Thai people know this has been in place for over two years now.

See, not everyone is qualified for it. Thanks for pointing that out.

If you already receiving a 3,000 Baht/Mo pension from another scheme you will get nothing. If you are receiving 1800 Baht/Mo you may get only 200 Baht from the Dems programme. And that only if you are in the state social security scheme.

Some falang tourists with no contact to real Thai life and Thai people seems to be under the false impression everyone older than 60 would get now 500 baht/Mo. People who actually know Thai people know that this is not the fact and not true.

Read the small print.

Truth is we don't know that much about her but my initial favourable impression remains.

As far as not knowing much about her is concerned, this was actually the point i was making when we were discussing her alleged merits a week or so back. You were the one saying she was obviously intelligent and capable, and i was the one questioning how we could so quickly draw such a conclusion, bearing in mind what we have to go on is pretty thin - we have an education record that is ok but hardly dazzling, and we have a career history of only ever having worked for her brother's companies, making it hard to know whether those lofty positions, such as President of AIS, were earnt on merit.

Your counter-argument to that issue was sister of Thaksin or not, deadwood would not be tolerated, and to an extent i agree - if she was completely useless then she wouldn't have survived, but there is a big difference between middle-management and CEO material, or for that matter, middle management and leader of a nation material.

Anyway, as i say, my position then was one of, let's wait and see before we start any trumpet blowing. Now, a week or so on, having the benefit of seeing her in the public spot-light and in interview situations, i have to say that i feel fairly underwhelmed.

Just taking that interview that i linked to in my earlier post in isolation, i would have to say that if her stated position on encomic matters is coming out as jumbled and as nonsensical in surroundings as relaxed as those, how is she going to cope when really under pressure?

I was looking forward to hearing your opinion on what she said there, but you neglected to do so, prefering rather to speak of what you think other people's opinion is of her. For me, i'm rather more interested in hearing what you think. Yes, i know full well that as someone who can not vote, your opinion counts for nothing in terms of deciding Thailand's future, just like mine, but this forum is clearly not here for deciding Thailand's future, it is here for exchanging our own views, all of which are equal, voter and non-voter alike. Sorry for stating the obvious but it seems some people are unaware of all this, as shown by the daily repeated sentiments we see from certain posters along the lines of "you are not a Thai, you can't vote, stop expressing an opinion" (should be noted that these sentiments usually seem to be expressed when someone offers an opinion that differs from their own).

Anyway, i have digressed off onto a completely different topic, so just to try and end by bringing it back to my original point, if you care to offer your own opinion on the aforementioned interview, i would be interested to hear it.

Sorry I skipped the interview (I have a life to lead!) but have now seen it.I don't disagree with what most of what you say.She seems a pleasant bright person, not perhaps in Abhisit's academic achievement class of course, and with the usual mediocre English language capability I associate with Thai graduates of second tier US universities.But as with most Thais I am quite favourably impressed, but as you suggest it's not really possible to give a final verdict because she's so much terra incognita.If the Democrats ran a better campaign (abysmal so far) her star wouldn't be shining so brightly.I knew thee Democrats don't know how to win elections, but I'm amazed at the incompetence of their campaign.

No answer to be expected. Another newbie banned within 11 hours and two posts (or maybe three with the last removed?)

I guess I'll also never know if this member really was a fellow Dutchman as he claimed.

He was a returned banned member...one of our nastier ones. Not sure if he was Dutch or not.

Sorry I skipped the interview (I have a life to lead!) but have now seen it.I don't disagree with what most of what you say.She seems a pleasant bright person, not perhaps in Abhisit's academic achievement class of course, and with the usual mediocre English language capability I associate with Thai graduates of second tier US universities.But as with most Thais I am quite favourably impressed, but as you suggest it's not really possible to give a final verdict because she's so much terra incognita.If the Democrats ran a better campaign (abysmal so far) her star wouldn't be shining so brightly.I knew thee Democrats don't know how to win elections, but I'm amazed at the incompetence of their campaign.

As far as your comment as with most Thais I am quite favourably impressed goes, firstly i would once again suggest you are being a tad hasty and presumptuous in drawing conclusions about what most Thais think. Secondly, i remain unclear - bearing in mind all we have discussed and much that we have agreed on - exactly what it is that Mrs Yingluck has done to impress you. You don't strike me as a man easily impressed, and yet in the case of this woman, who comes across to me as being outstandingly average in pretty much all departments, you seem to be giving her a very easy ride for some reason. Let's be honest, in that interview, she was all over the place. An incoherent mess. Anyone could see that and i think were we talking about someone else, you would be stating precisely the same sentiments in a direct and forthright manner.

As for the Democrats and their election campaign, yes i totally agree. They have been dismal. They will really need to pull something out of the bag to turn this one around.

As far as your comment as with most Thais I am quite favourably impressed goes, firstly i would once again suggest you are being a tad hasty and presumptuous in drawing conclusions about what most Thais think. Secondly, i remain unclear - bearing in mind all we have discussed and much that we have agreed on - exactly what it is that Mrs Yingluck has done to impress you. You don't strike me as a man easily impressed, and yet in the case of this woman, who comes across to me as being outstandingly average in pretty much all departments, you seem to be giving her a very easy ride for some reason. Let's be honest, in that interview, she was all over the place. An incoherent mess. Anyone could see that and i think were we talking about someone else, you would be stating precisely the same sentiments in a direct and forthright manner.

As for the Democrats and their election campaign, yes i totally agree. They have been dismal. They will really need to pull something out of the bag to turn this one around.

"Love the one you're with."

The topic is weather or not the Army will enter the fray. Do any of you really believe that Thaksin has not anticipated this and has a plan?

You can say what you want about the guy, but he is a leader and he is not likely to be blindsided by "unexpected" factors.

Don't you "get it" the Thai people are desperate for "leadership" They don't give a shit about his personal issues. They want a leader who will get the job done.

The topic is weather or not the Army will enter the fray. Do any of you really believe that Thaksin has not anticipated this and has a plan?

You can say what you want about the guy, but he is a leader and he is not likely to be blindsided by "unexpected" factors.

Don't you "get it" the Thai people are desperate for "leadership" They don't give a shit about his personal issues. They want a leader who will get the job done.

Just to be accurate, the topic is, "Thai Army Chief Enters Election Fray." He has already entered and served notice if people are not elected that the army likes they will remove them.

Don't you "get it"? With the exception of perhaps your wife and in-laws, you don't speak for Thai people.

Don't get your pintle in high gudgeon.

(Dyslexic typo corrected.)

Edited by animatic

Don't get your pintle in high gudeon.

At last, some humour from a fellow sailor.......

(Don't want to be a pedant but thought it was " gudgeon" , never mind anyway.)

Thaksin has been blindided often --- it'll happen again. He's not an effective leader at all. He's autocratic and self-centered. A percentage of Thais want Thaksin and a percentage are very opposed to him. The fact is that he is a convicted criminal and was convicted for valid reasons. The topic is not "will the army enter the fray" the topic is "Thai Army Chief Enters Election Fray" :-)

Just to be accurate, the topic is, "Thai Army Chief Enters Election Fray." He has already entered and served notice if people are not elected that the army likes they will remove them.

And what I said is that Thaksin has already anticipated this and has a plan. He will not be blindsided by this Army chief or anyone else. I expect that the two men have already worked it out in private because that's what "leaders" do. No committees, no bean counters with MBA's just two powerful men having a nice calm discussion.

Don't you "get it"? With the exception of perhaps your wife and in-laws, you don't speak for Thai people.

I can read the papers and the polls just like you.

I will have the honor of going to the village to collect up my Thai family and carry them to the voting poll on election day just as I did my own mother in the US. That's the most I can do.

Why doesn't someone explain to me why you farangs are so passionate about a election that you can't vote in?

And what I said is that Thaksin has already anticipated this and has a plan. He will not be blindsided by this Army chief or anyone else. I expect that the two men have already worked it out in private because that's what "leaders" do. No committees, no bean counters with MBA's just two powerful men having a nice calm discussion.

I agree with you. I think they worked it out. Date is the only thing I would differ on. I think they worked it out in 2006.

Don't get your pintle in high gudgeon.

Thaksin has been blindided often --- it'll happen again. He's not an effective leader at all. He's autocratic and self-centered. A percentage of Thais want Thaksin and a percentage are very opposed to him. The fact is that he is a convicted criminal and was convicted for valid reasons. The topic is not "will the army enter the fray" the topic is "Thai Army Chief Enters Election Fray" :-)

Somkid or Jakrapob quite Thaksins flailing cabinet in 2006

and Thaksin declared.

' It makes no difference if they quit,

I am the only one doing any work here.'

Oh yes, the words of true democratic and open minded leader. Why not be surrounded by yesmen and groveling sycophants when you do all the work yourself.

Edited by animatic

I will have the honor of going to the village to collect up my Thai family and carry them to the voting poll on election day just as I did my own mother in the US. That's the most I can do.

Why doesn't someone explain to me why you farangs are so passionate about a election that you can't vote in?

Because to many of us, this is our home...adopted anyway. We love it here, live here full time, raise our families here and want to see the best for this country. ;)

Reading the papers and the polls doesn't give either of us the right though to speak on behalf of all Thai people.

You farangs? What are you then?

And what if non-voters are passionate? So what? Why does it bother you? Is there some rule that if you can't vote, you can't have a view?

At last, some humour from a fellow sailor.......

(Don't want to be a pedant but thought it was " gudgeon" , never mind anyway.)

I too appreciate the sailor humor.

As a sailor I can appreciate the leadership role of the captain. A great captain leads his crew and makes it to the destination. A poor captain has a mutiny. What we are witnessing is a mutiny.

Because to many of us, this is our home...adopted anyway. We love it here, live here full time, raise our families here and want to see the best for this country. ;)

Agreed! The question is "what is best for this country" I believe that the Thai people a perfectly capable of deciding that and I plan to live with their choice.

Some farang seem to think that they know better than the Thai people and that's what I have an issue with.

A big DOUBLE DITTO on that.

Thank you for posting.

You farangs? What are you then?

And what if non-voters are passionate? So what? Why does it bother you? Is there some rule that if you can't vote, you can't have a view?

This one works as well.

Thank you for posting, also.

Don't you "get it"? With the exception of perhaps your wife and in-laws, you don't speak for Thai people. [/size][/font]

Agreed! The question is "what is best for this country" I believe that the Thai people a perfectly capable of deciding that and I plan to live with their choice.

Some farang seem to think that they know better than the Thai people and that's what I have an issue with.

I don't agree. I'd farm out the administration to Singapore. Given the administrators could be as loyal to Thailand as they were loyal to Singapore. That is not a big stretch as people in Singapore come from many different nationalities. Imagine what Singapore could have done with the population and resources of Thailand. The mind boggles.

What we have witness was The Caine Mutiny paraphrased.

A bad leader replaced for instability, mid-voyage,

and then the rest of the crew biting each others backs

for saving the ship.

Sometimes Captains lose perspective, or more simply put, their common sense is lost while at sea. Sometimes the crew is not willing to go on the rocks to preserve the Captains sense of omnipotence.

In 2006 Thaksin was proving unstable and was removed from the helm, after ignoring navigation signals. His history since then is not likely to indicate he has recovered his rationality, only his desire to command again. Desire to command is not the same as competency to command is it?

Edited by animatic