Pension Letter From Embasy

In the past, I always had 800k in the bank, but last time, I went to BKK,Brti embassy, for a letter, verifying my company pension. Presenting it at the immigration, with copies, he kept the original. I realised this when I was at another desk and went back, asking for the original back. He said I would have to apply for another the following year as it did not say it was a yearly pension. It did say annual pension, but I got nowhere.

I have acquired a new one for my renewal at an increased cost of 1,700b, but am paranoid that they will keep this one too.

My friends, in the same boat have always been given the original back, to use the following years. Could it have been a mistake, him keeping it, and could not be bothered digging the original back out, or is it a practise to keep the original.

Has anyone had this experience ? I don't want this palaver every year.

Thanks.

They have always kept my embassy letters. In fact, the requirement is that the letter be very recent; I think it has to be issued within a week of your application but I am not certain of the time. As far as I know you have to get this certification every year.

I don't think it is such a big deal. You make one trip to the embassy, spend a few minutes in line, another minute or two filling out the form, pay the fee and you are finished.

Offer a copy and see if they accept it. As many of us have pensions that change every year to be correct we should probably obtain a new letter each year. But can understand problem for those away from Embassy and having to make a special trip. I really would not try to argue the cost factor if you can afford to retire here that should not be a concern and I seriously doubt you would gain any points with immigration using that card.

$tamp here, $tamp there , wish I had a cash cow of this sort :o

I seriously doubt any Consulate is making money on notary stamps. The cost of keeping a Consular Officer overseas is really, really high. His salary is only a minor portion of the cost. Housing, education, medical, travel, home leave and training add up fast.

$tamp here, $tamp there , wish I had a cash cow of this sort :o

I seriously doubt any Consulate is making money on notary stamps. The cost of keeping a Consular Officer overseas is really, really high. His salary is only a minor portion of the cost. Housing, education, medical, travel, home leave and training add up fast.

no doubts at all here - it is not a matter of making money fron notary stamps or not!

That was more in reference to the BIB "stamping" you for 1,900 B (or whatever is the going rate nowdays) a whack for a two minute chop, a smear of blue ink and a squiggly signature... still not a bad earner but never could it compare to the stellar performer of consular services!

i would never be so obtuse to narrow the consular intake to notary stamps alone. As a government agency why should I... I have a whole population's tax revenue to play with and provide my staff with the best salary, housing, education, medical, travel, home leave and training, have virtualy no responsability whatsoever to who supports me monetaraly, freedom to make up the rules and return a so-so service at the best of times and all this paid, willy-nilly by YOU! If that ain't the best legal cash cow ... pls pray do tell what is? :D

When I obtained my first one year extension I showed immigration the original Embassy letter and then offered them two copies. They returned the original to me. Since that time (I'm now on my fifth extension), I have only provided two copies and they have not asked to see the original again. I would add though, that I do have the requisite Bht 800,000.00 in the bank also, so maybe that is a factor.

Yesterday I attended Suan Phlu (have I spealt tht right) to change from Tourist to Non Imm O Retirement visa. Room303. I showed them original embassy letter and asked if they would accept copy. They said no but when I have to request extension the copy will be acceptable and if problem tell "downstairs" that the original is held in Room 303. Anyway I'll play safe and get a new one. A nuisance.

Incidentally the Embassy made a typo with my address which I corrected in ink. Room 303 initially said this invalidated the letter and I would have to get a new one. However after conferring was told no problem.

Yesterday I attended Suan Phlu (have I spealt tht right) to change from Tourist to Non Imm O Retirement visa. Room303. I showed them original embassy letter and asked if they would accept copy. They said no but when I have to request extension the copy will be acceptable and if problem tell "downstairs" that the original is held in Room 303. Anyway I'll play safe and get a new one. A nuisance.

Incidentally the Embassy made a typo with my address which I corrected in ink. Room 303 initially said this invalidated the letter and I would have to get a new one. However after conferring was told no problem.

:o I have my extensions in the outpost Alanyaprathet every year. I have always retained the orginal embassy certification as they said due to my 65 yrs. my pension is always the same. I have the Swedish Embassy in BKK providing my certificates and they can be obtained by mail with the required documents, paying the fee at the Post Office and using EMS delivery post paid. Perhaps you can have from your particular embassies the same service. In general, European governments don't like big crowds at their offices. Can one imagine the Thai bureau thinking the same?

Once you get a notorized statement from the Embassy. Do you have to get it translated in thai? Also is there a place close to the embassy for them to translate it? How much for translating and how long does it take?

Thanks for your help.

Once you get a notorized statement from the Embassy. Do you have to get it translated in thai? Also is there a place close to the embassy for them to translate it? How much for translating and how long does it take?

Thanks for your help.

I have not been asked for a translation of my letter but it is written in English. Perhaps if it is written in a language that is not so widely spoken, they may require a translation. There are a few translation services near the Britsh Embassy (at the Rhama 1/Wireless road intersection). 4 years ago, the cost was Bht 500.00 per A4 sheet (English to Thai) and it would be ready the next day. Now it could be more but shouldn't be significant.

Further to what Jayenram says,

"Evidence showing reception of pension accompanied with Thai translation certified by the embassy or consulate of the country paying the pension"

Above is copied from Immigration Bureau website, under documents required for visa extension.

In practice, as he stated, English will be accepted without translation. Even my Thai bank letter is in English. And of course TM forms can be completed in Thai or English

However the purpose of this post is not to repeat what Jayenram has said but to draw attention to Immigration Bureau website's refererence to VISA EXTENSION.

I have seen, on this site, people being corrected. Your visa is not being extended, they say - it is your permission to stay that is being extended. CORRECT but next time consider that even immigration misinterpret their own regulations.