Parts For Hi-fi Equipment Needed

Upcountry

Hi fellow audiophiles.

I have the option of getting a Grado PH-1 phono-stage preamp from the US, but the external power supply (with a custom connector of course) is only 110/60. Grado in the US will not help me.

I could pay a lot more to buy the whole thing at a Bangkok hi-fi store, but first I'd like to know if there is a hi-fi store that can sell me the power block separately.

I don't trust the retailer of this product to sell me on separately, though I haven't asked them. I just get that feeling. At the very least, I'd have to get them to special order it.

I had a power block for a router modified to use the custom connector for that unit, but I'm not sure if the replacement power supply is really up to snuff. For something like a phono stage, having accurate and steady voltage (via UPS of source) is a bit more critical.

Any suggestions for a hi-fi parts store would be appreciated.

Specs for needed unit, output: 12V, 15 amps.

Thanks,

UC

Hi fellow audiophiles.

I have the option of getting a Grado PH-1 phono-stage preamp from the US, but the external power supply (with a custom connector of course) is only 110/60. Grado in the US will not help me.

I could pay a lot more to buy the whole thing at a Bangkok hi-fi store, but first I'd like to know if there is a hi-fi store that can sell me the power block separately.

I don't trust the retailer of this product to sell me on separately, though I haven't asked them. I just get that feeling. At the very least, I'd have to get them to special order it.

I had a power block for a router modified to use the custom connector for that unit, but I'm not sure if the replacement power supply is really up to snuff. For something like a phono stage, having accurate and steady voltage (via UPS of source) is a bit more critical.

Any suggestions for a hi-fi parts store would be appreciated.

Thanks,

UC

OK I think your best option both from a price and performance perspective would be to buy a good 220-110 converter, the effect of 50-60hz will be minimal I believe as long as your power supply produces the correct DC levels at its output, but check with company first.........changing the AC frequency is a little more complex than changing the voltage, the stepdown transformer needs to be quite big to provide current if your preamp requires it, although as a preamp it may not.

Edited by gharknes

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

As it turns out, ironically, the power supply sold with the Grado here in Thailand is the US 110/60 one. There is no 220/50 available.

There are two reasons why I was concerned about the power supply.

One was about how the unit would work with 50 cycles, as gharknes pointed out. I do have a set of very good step down transformer that I bought before coming here. But the cycle difference is one reason why I want to stop using the built-in phone stage in my stereo preamp.

The other concern was simple convenience. I hate having to use the transformers.

Well, out-of-box the 110/60 power supply does have a saving grace that I had not considered earlier. It outputs DC to the phone stage. Essentially that isolates the cycle difference from the electricity going to the unit, as far as I know. Probably the only thing I may have to worry about is the power supply burning out sooner.

The power block is not even very high quality, from what I can see. I think it will be a small matter to attach the custom output wire to a 220/50 block, as long as the wires are appropriately connected.

Another odd thing about this product is that it has a grounding connector for the turntable, but the power block is not obviously grounded - not three-prong, and both prongs are the same size. No sign of grounding and certainly not for the kinds of three prong plugs we have here!

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

As it turns out, ironically, the power supply sold with the Grado here in Thailand is the US 110/60 one. There is no 220/50 available.

There are two reasons why I was concerned about the power supply.

One was about how the unit would work with 50 cycles, as gharknes pointed out. I do have a set of very good step down transformer that I bought before coming here. But the cycle difference is one reason why I want to stop using the built-in phone stage in my stereo preamp.

The other concern was simple convenience. I hate having to use the transformers.

Well, out-of-box the 110/60 power supply does have a saving grace that I had not considered earlier. It outputs DC to the phone stage. Essentially that isolates the cycle difference from the electricity going to the unit, as far as I know. Probably the only thing I may have to worry about is the power supply burning out sooner.

The power block is not even very high quality, from what I can see. I think it will be a small matter to attach the custom output wire to a 220/50 block, as long as the wires are appropriately connected.

Another odd thing about this product is that it has a grounding connector for the turntable, but the power block is not obviously grounded - not three-prong, and both prongs are the same size. No sign of grounding and certainly not for the kinds of three prong plugs we have here!

Just as you have said above, the power supply outputs DC so no problem there, it will also be regulated to what ever voltage....although power supplies can work on a relative setup and frequency can make a difference, so you will need to check DC levels before you connect, I'm referring to switch mode units which are usually used in DC to DC environments, as for grounding, once again ground is a relative thing on the secondary side of a transformer, a multi wound transformer doesn't have a ground as such, it just has potential difference between all the windings, sort of floating.

Hi fellow audiophiles.

I have the option of getting a Grado PH-1 phono-stage preamp from the US, but the external power supply

Thanks,

UC

Are your sure about that spec??

15A sounds very heavy duty for a pre-amp!!

Yes,

Input AC 120V/60hz

Output: 12V 15A

You're right, astral, I would not be able to find a 12V power supply upcountry (provincial), though Phantip would have it. It's a small unit, not large like you might find with a printer.

gharknes, before coming here, our shipper recommended this:

Todd Systems Auto-transformer, SD-13G, 1000VA MAx,

Input is 110/120/v 8.7 amp nom to 220/240 v 50/60 hz.

It's a large, heavy block, kind of thing you would not want to drop on your foot! I orded half a dozen of these for kitchen, office, etc.

The input receptacle is standard US three prong, as is the output plug.

I had three prong outlets installed in the house with yellow grounding wires going to a long metal spike outside deep in the ground.

The Grado is plugged in to the transformer which currently (no pun intended) is plugged into a Toshino individually switched extension cord (with three prong plug), which is plugged into a PowerCom heavy duty UPS, which is plugged into the outlet mentioned above.

I might remove the switchable extension to improve the connection, and I'm prepared to have the ground wires modified to allow a wire going directly to the ground connector on the Grado (where I connect the turntable ground).

Rather medieval eh? Back home it would have been so much easier, and even with a 220/50 power supply much of the above would still apply! :-)

UC

Edited by Upcountry

Hi fellow audiophiles.

I have the option of getting a Grado PH-1 phono-stage preamp from the US, but the external power supply

Thanks,

UC

Are your sure about that spec??

15A sounds very heavy duty for a pre-amp!!

doubt it would use 15 amp for preamp stage, more than likely overkill, although the lower the voltage the higher the current, there is a direct relationship with power/wattage so if this thing outputs anything then it will require current...time to seek knowledge from the google :o

Borrow a step down transformer and run the pre-amp.

You can stick an ammeter in the line and measure the current it takes.

I will be surprised if it is more than 1 amp.

For a power supply I would go to China Town in Bangkok, near old Palace

and Wat Po. That is the area for electical gadgets.

The main thing to look for in the power supply is "clean" dc voltage.

No nasty hum to get in with the low level signal from the stylus.

Alternatively look for a shop that does hi-fi repairs.

They may be able to recommend a good power supply to meet your needs.

Here again you will just have to ask around in the good hi fi stores in

Bangkok.

Another thought is a power supply for Amateur radio use. They also

need

clean DC.