Russian Honeymoon Tourist In Phuket Dies After Dangerous Surf Rescue

webfact

Pardon my ignorance, but don't they have a flag system in Phuket? (i.e. orange/red flag for dangerous sea conditions)

Yes they do. But people just ignore the reg flags, ignore beach vendors & locals telling then not to go in the water. I see it all the time.

Just wondering LivinginKata ...do you know the purpose of that Marine Rescue Centre at the north end of Kata beach..the equipment ( one RIB and one Seadoo both on trailers and locked up) looks to be in pristine unused condition..uniformed individuals in front of computers???

Just wondering LivinginKata ...do you know the purpose of that Marine Rescue Centre at the north end of Kata beach..the equipment ( one RIB and one Seadoo both on trailers and locked up) looks to be in pristine unused condition..uniformed individuals in front of computers???

Think you mean the south end of the beach. That's the beach rescue post. They also bring a rescue jet ski in every morning about 09.00 and take it away by 17.00. To be honest I don't see many actual life guards on duty this year.

First, condolescences to the loved ones of the Russian woman that died, and bravo to the guard who tried to save her.

Second, I'd like to agree with Katabeachbum that the guards can warn people about conditions, but they cannot prevent someone from entering the water.

It is not illegal to swim in rough conditions in Phuket, no more than it is to go rock climbing in the rain.

The problem with the flag system is this. At least on Kata Noi (where I swim about every week during May to October) the red flags are posted permanently during the low season, despite the fact that the conditions change from day to day and week to week.

So, in effect, if you want people to follow the flags, then swimming is effectively banned during this 6-month period.

Which is nonsense.

MB this last weekend it was 6ft+ faces, with a couple sets I saw at Kata and Nai Harn maybe reaching 8. Yes, the lifeguards have fins, a surf rescue board too.

"The real danger in the Phuket area during monsoon season are not the waves. But the strong point to point longshore current."

Nice in theory but not correct, here anyway. Raised CA surfer also, I sometimes swim point to point in the big surf (beyond breakline) and never get taken out. No it's the waves pounding away that make people panic, I've seen people come close to drowning not but 3 yards from shore....

Well since im not down there cannot comment on dimensions of local conditions. I wish i was there with my duck feet so i could recon this situation. But im not in the mood for the shlept from Pattaya.

A few comments though: You say on your point to point swim you are not experiencing a rip. Well you are already outside. The situation i described in my post is originating inside the point adjacent to outbound flow.

People tend to panic in rips because they have lost control. And for sure inside waves can be a problem for these inexperienced people as I mentioned in my previous post.

In this thread : Do you take notice of red Flags , 2009 -06 - 12 Phuket Forum

There are photos and comments on this subject. And a local at Karon Beach confirmed the particular type of rip I described.

MB this last weekend it was 6ft+ faces, with a couple sets I saw at Kata and Nai Harn maybe reaching 8. Yes, the lifeguards have fins, a surf rescue board too.

"The real danger in the Phuket area during monsoon season are not the waves. But the strong point to point longshore current."

Nice in theory but not correct, here anyway. Raised CA surfer also, I sometimes swim point to point in the big surf (beyond breakline) and never get taken out. No it's the waves pounding away that make people panic, I've seen people come close to drowning not but 3 yards from shore....

Well since im not down there cannot comment on dimensions of local conditions. I wish i was there with my duck feet so i could recon this situation. But im not in the mood for the shlept from Pattaya.

A few comments though: You say on your point to point swim you are not experiencing a rip. Well you are already outside. The situation i described in my post is originating inside the point adjacent to outbound flow.

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm not going to argue with someone that 1. has never been here in surf like we have had this last couple weeks and is making conclusions 2. is not clear on the difference between a rip tide and point to point currents.

In your initial post you talked of point to point currents sweeping people away. For the last couple weekends I have swam point to point inside the points and did not agree, again, difference in opinion might be that I was in the water and you at a keyboard.

At Black's in San Diego when it used to get big, we would use the rip tide to take us out, made for an easier paddle as it's a beach break, no cushy Steamer's Lane over than in paddle. The rip pulls out away from the shore, that's why the remedy is to swim parallel with the beach until your out of it and then in. Anyway, people here drown because they panic as the rip pulls them out, sometimes they get stuck in a vortex, get held down, as the bottom here being all sand can change rapidly, also known as undertow.

First, condolescences to the loved ones of the Russian woman that died, and bravo to the guard who tried to save her.

Second, I'd like to agree with Katabeachbum that the guards can warn people about conditions, but they cannot prevent someone from entering the water.

It is not illegal to swim in rough conditions in Phuket, no more than it is to go rock climbing in the rain.

The problem with the flag system is this. At least on Kata Noi (where I swim about every week during May to October) the red flags are posted permanently during the low season, despite the fact that the conditions change from day to day and week to week.

So, in effect, if you want people to follow the flags, then swimming is effectively banned during this 6-month period.

Which is nonsense.

Agree with you that they should be much more active with updating the flags depending on the conditions.

However, nearly all accidents involve tourists who simply ignore the flags and warnings because they think they know better, not because they are expats who know the flag system is not perfect. Because remember, mostly it is not just ignored flags, also ignored verbal warnings.

Which is nonsense.

Agree with you that they should be much more active with updating the flags depending on the conditions.

However, nearly all accidents involve tourists who simply ignore the flags and warnings because they think they know better, not because they are expats who know the flag system is not perfect. Because remember, mostly it is not just ignored flags, also ignored verbal warnings.

ad ignored whistles, and unexperienced swimmers under influence of alcohol

ad ignored whistles, and unexperienced swimmers under influence of alcohol

Very true! I seem to read mostly about Russians, Chinese and Norwegian tourists along with Thais drowning. I'm sure most can't swim very well and have never swam in the ocean... Add alcohol and it's a disaster waiting to happen.

• 1 month later...

Hi there Grumpyold man, loving your work, however you should say its a Rip Current as there is no such thing as a rip tide. Keep up the grumpyness. big shark love

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm not going to argue with someone that 1. has never been here in surf like we have had this last couple weeks and is making conclusions 2. is not clear on the difference between a rip tide and point to point currents.

In your initial post you talked of point to point currents sweeping people away. For the last couple weekends I have swam point to point inside the points and did not agree, again, difference in opinion might be that I was in the water and you at a keyboard.

At Black's in San Diego when it used to get big, we would use the rip tide to take us out, made for an easier paddle as it's a beach break, no cushy Steamer's Lane over than in paddle. The rip pulls out away from the shore, that's why the remedy is to swim parallel with the beach until your out of it and then in. Anyway, people here drown because they panic as the rip pulls them out, sometimes they get stuck in a vortex, get held down, as the bottom here being all sand can change rapidly, also known as undertow.