New Wheels

WinnieTheKhwai

If you always wanted to own a tuk tuk but were afraid to ask: I saw one for sale yesterday. Not a taxi one of course, a slightly larger general-purpose model.

If I recall correctly, it's in between the Hang Dong Road and the Canal Road, same road that continues to Samoeng. Sort of half way down on the North side of the road.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will never understand why anyone would buy a Tuk tuk for personal use.

But thanks for spreading the information. I am certain some redneck will want one.

There is one character in Sansai that I have seen driving one. I mean this guy is really a character!

Why would one have to be a bit off base to own and drive a tuk-tuk? It is an unusual choice of transportation, but it seems to me that a tuk-tuk would be safer and more practical than a motorcycle much of the time, and more economical and easier to get around in than a car or pickup. Easier to park, and certainly no more hazardous than what is already on the roads. Sure, one probably wouldn't want to head down to Bangkok or more remote destinations, but for use around Chiang Mai, it could be a good deal. Here's a link to a local manufacturer.

I think they are the dog's dangly bit's, the tuc tuc was the first vehicle I drove in Thailand, (a night of miss-advancer inChiangmai, the driver was running behind, ha ha) I was thinking getting one and of putting a 'fireblade' engine in one.

Edited by Tonto21

But thanks for spreading the information. I am certain some redneck will want one.

Yet another post that does not answer the op's question but rather slips in a snide remark. What a waste of time coming to these post when most of the people who comment are wanting to be comedians. I think you should spend your energy finding out where you can go get your free dougnuts this week:) instead of wasting out time with with dribble.

Always when i run into a post of yours,its an proof of what kind of xxxxxxxxx you are!

A tuktuk,can be useful for many things.its much cheaper than a car if you have to transport your groceries or maybe you have a few dogs that you would like to take for a walk etc etc

Not everybody comes to thailand with pockets full of money just to spend 600000 baht up for a car only to ride to tesco or take his dogs for a walk!

And that you will never understand this just shows how smart you are!!

And now go to the city and take some pictures of people that work illegal in this country so you can report them to the authorities!(we know you!)

Edited by Rooo
Flame removed.

I was driving one in song kran one year and the police asked me if i had a work permit i just got out and let my thai friend drive my thai friend said i was just sitting in it.

LOL. That's one police officer who doesn't know a work permit from a comic book. (Assuming the above is true, of course).

Clearly you don't need a work permit to drive a vehicle, regardless of the number of wheels it has. The vehicle needs to be registered and you need a drivers license and all that jazz, but work permits don't come into it. And of course you can't even get a work permit to be a taxi driver, regardless of the vehicle used; it's a prohibited profession.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I don't know about their prices, insurance rates, or licensing fees, but I think that a tuk tuk in private hands would have utility. I believe they are equipped for LPG, so new 4 cycle engines would be very cheap to operate - and low on emissions. Such a vehicle is rain-resistant. It easily carries more than a motorbike and unlike virtually all the motorbike side-cars we see everywhere, would be legal (licensed). In heavy traffic, it is quicker than a car.

Passengers have a sense of being outdoors, of exploring from the open.

(American reference only.) I cannot agree that such a vehicle would appeal to 'rednecks' very much, as it is slow, slow, slow. More like an effete New Englander or Mid-westerner among Americans, such as myself.:rolleyes: Green, semi-open, and slow takes the day. Probably inexpensive as well?

I am bored s%^$less with cars and pick-ups. No fun to drive. So. I designed and had an ETAN made, about 4 years ago. Great fun to drive. Original Cost a bit over B 100,000 , What does it do ? Well I use it to carry :: Mun Sumpalung ( Cassava), Paddy ( both sheaves and sacks),gravel, cement, sand ,eucalyptus, Concrete posts, it does furniture removals for farang, Rubber trees, latex, If something needs carting, it carts it. But be warned : Only people under about 70 kilos can drive them. Fat people cannot fit behind the steering wheel. More environmentally friendly - fuel cost is 1/3 of a pick-up. Naturally, fully air-conditioned, a bit of a bugger , when it rains.NO registration. nor drivers licence required. A very useful and fun vehicle. Thais absolutely adore seeing me drive it .I get waves and smiles every day. You can work out why. And I am definitely NOT a red-neck( from septic tank land).

I am bored s%^$less with cars and pick-ups. No fun to drive. So. I designed and had an ETAN made, about 4 years ago. Great fun to drive. Original Cost a bit over B 100,000 , What does it do ? Well I use it to carry :: Mun Sumpalung ( Cassava), Paddy ( both sheaves and sacks),gravel, cement, sand ,eucalyptus, Concrete posts, it does furniture removals for farang, Rubber trees, latex, If something needs carting, it carts it. But be warned : Only people under about 70 kilos can drive them. Fat people cannot fit behind the steering wheel. More environmentally friendly - fuel cost is 1/3 of a pick-up. Naturally, fully air-conditioned, a bit of a bugger , when it rains.NO registration. nor drivers licence required. A very useful and fun vehicle. Thais absolutely adore seeing me drive it .I get waves and smiles every day. You can work out why. And I am definitely NOT a red-neck( from septic tank land).

Lovely post!!! Do you have some pictures of the beast that you could share?

I think the only drawback is that you can't really take it into town, right? ( Also girls wouldn't want to be caught dead in it. :D )

Will try to post some photos, Not overly competent on com.You can drive it on any 2nd or lower grade road. I DO drive it to Tawekit and Makro , in Amphur Muang Buriram,about a 80 kilometres from where I live. For example , I can drive it legally on highway 24, but I don't like to as too much of it is single lane and has a very high accident rate.Absolutely no problem on 3 digit roads.Also drive it to Chong Chom ,again ,about 80 kms., to do my detested 90 day report. Cruises comfortably at about 40 K.P.H.Max. about 50 . Police never stop you at "road blocks".,No contributions necessary to the B,I,B,"wh#$%y charitable fund".It is based on a Nissan pick-up chassis , and is fitted with overload springs ,so can carry 3 ton easy.

I find it ironic that someone can call me a xxxxxxxx and nothing is done about it.

Thanks for the personal attack. I am glad that the rules are unbiased on this forum.

Like it or not, Thai people consider Tuk Tuk's a low class form of transportation. If you are a redneck and want to drive one that is one things but for normal middle class people there are equal forms of transportation that are economical without looking like a tard.

They are not a stable form of transportation and flip over at even medium speeds.

My guess is that westerners that drive them want to feel like James Bond, but they are a throw back in time and the environment would be better off without them. Not to mention the noise.

Edited by Rooo
Flame removed.

I find it ironic that someone can call me a xxxxxxxx and nothing is done about it.

Thanks for the personal attack. I am glad that the rules are unbiased on this forum.

Like it or not, Thai people consider Tuk Tuk's a low class form of transportation. If you are a redneck and want to drive one that is one things but for normal middle class people there are equal forms of transportation that are economical without looking like a tard.

They are not a stable form of transportation and flip over at even medium speeds.

My guess is that westerners that drive them want to feel like James Bond, but they are a throw back in time and the environment would be better off without them. Not to mention the noise.

You can only blame youself for that.

You brought personal attack upon youself by calling people wanting tuktuk as a redneck.

If you are quick to dish out insults, you should be ready to take one also.

Edited by Rooo
Flame removed from quote.

You brought personal attack upon youself by calling people wanting tuktuk as a redneck.

Newbie is , pure and simply: a snob. All Thai people consider them Low class transport? Very wrong . Certainly the snobs would. Most see them as yes, noisy, ( Govt's. fault) But an excellent form of transport for short distances. Environmentally unsound? Totally wrong .They are all LNG or LPG, so their emissions are of a much lower order than those running huge petrol or diesel engines. As a basic vehicle ,they use much less inputs to build, so much better environmentally ,than your huge gas guzzling Isuzus or Toyotas , etc.,As for being rednecks, my understanding of the word, is that it refers to An ultra conservative ,Gun toting specimen from the deep south of the U.S.A.. Not a pleasant specimen of humanity.And certainly it would be ridiculous of one of them to drive a Tuk-Tuk,quite apart from the fact that their physical size , most probably , would render that impossible

Edited by Rooo

I find it ironic that someone can call me a xxxxxxx and nothing is done about it.

Newbie is , pure and simply: a snob. All Thai people consider them Low class transport? Very wrong . Certainly the snobs would. Most see them as yes, noisy, ( Govt's. fault) But an excellent form of transport for short distances. Environmentally unsound? Totally wrong .They are all LNG or LPG, so their emissions are of a much lower order than those running huge petrol or diesel engines. As a basic vehicle ,they use much less inputs to build, so much better environmentally ,than your huge gas guzzling Isuzus or Toyotas , etc.,As for being rednecks, my understanding of the word, is that it refers to An ultra conservative ,Gun toting specimen from the deep south of the U.S.A.. Not a pleasant specimen of humanity.And certainly it would be ridiculous of one of them to drive a Tuk-Tuk,quite apart from the fact that their physical size , most probably , would render that impossible

To be a Redneck vehicle you need a place for a gunrack..... it qualifies, I love it!

General vs. specific reference is clearly different.

Look at the Thai people who drive them. They are rednecks. They are not social elite. If one wants to be like them all the power to them.

Did you know that the social elite are the chinese thais ,otherwise known as amart. A finer species of society ? I think not. Tuk-Tuk drivers are rednecks ? Definitely not. They are not reactionaries, not guntoting religious zealots. They are Prai. Surely an oppressed underclass.

I was driving one in song kran one year and the police asked me if i had a work permit i just got out and let my thai friend drive my thai friend said i was just sitting in it.

this would be your biggest problem!

getting stopped everywhere asking if you're got a drivers license for it and a work permit.

they'd assume you where using to to move people around all the time, because that's what they usually/mostly/only see them used for.

As to emissions from a tuk tuk, most in CM are 2 stroke, even though converted to LPG, they still emit filthy exaust fumes. Conversion to a 4 sroke would reduce the noise and air pollution. I like the Isaan versions better, quieter, cleaner and more comfortable.

this would be your biggest problem!

getting stopped everywhere asking if you're got a drivers license for it and a work permit.

they'd assume you where using to to move people around all the time, because that's what they usually/mostly/only see them used for.

If you have no "taxi" sign on the roof, you will have no problem re : work permit. It must be registered and with 3rd party insurance , as a private vehicle. A standard Thai driving licence is all that is required.To the best of my knowledge.