Macro Sausages And Bacon

cheshiregent

i was in macro recently looking around the freezer section and found they now sell british style sausages and bacon did not expect to much from them

but gave them a try and was very surprised just how good they are the bacon is in large packs more suited to a restaurant than for home use

but good value and very tasty not something i eat a great deal of but its nice to have them in the freezer when im in the mood

but ill stick to sausage kings black pudding way better than the others on offer

I think British Style Sausages, sold in Chiang Mai, taste like crapola :bah:

Sorry that you feel that way - I think that both the Cumberland and Non-Cumberland Fatboy sausages, although not the best in town, represent fair value for a reasonable price, and convenient to pop into which ever Macro maybe near you. The British style bacon, also is not bad. Even the American style Streaky bacon.

Im not sure about the sausages but their butter croissants cooked fresh every hour would be a treat with a bit of bacon/sausage in them

you would but bacon and sausage in a croissant ?

you have been in thailand to long my friend lol dont you think that might be a bit sweet thats like butting sugger on toast yuk

Im not sure about the sausages but their butter croissants cooked fresh every hour would be a treat with a bit of bacon/sausage in them

you have been in thailand to long my friend lol dont you think that might be a bit sweet thats like butting sugger on toast yuk

I'd but bacon and sausage in a croissant, and I'd but some putter on it too.

I'd but bacon and sausage in a croissant, and I'd but some putter on it too.

:D

I think British Style Sausages, sold in Chiang Mai, taste like crapola :bah:

How dare you criticise food sold in Chiang Mai on a food thread.

This is sacrilege my boy and something that’s just not done. Others have tried and paid the price.

Cursed be the ones who commit rebellion against the people and companies that frequently remind us of just how good their food products are. Repent or you will be cast out into the depths of the General forums and moderated into oblivion.

The sausages at Macro are way over priced and they use plastic casing like many others do. The bacon is reasonably priced by low quality and not good for restaurant use. The Thai German bacon is much better.

Many people have said that the English Cumberland and Lincolnshire sausages made by Don's Foods for the past 14 years using natural casings and parboiled for safety are some of the best in Thailand. They are available in Chiang Rai and Bangkok.

many rainy seasons ago (in Nairobi, Kenya) i was on the verge strangling a waiter who served my morning coffee and croissants stuffed with bacon.

:bah:

Makro Do not sell quality foods but cater for the hotel trade etc.Quality foos are made by the Sausage King National thailand. Rob/sk

Lovely !

the perverts are among us! :lol:

The frozen streaky bacon sold in Macro is the best I have tasted in Thailand.Although it is sold for the restaurant trade in kilo packs, it is not difficult to partly thaw and repack in smaller quantities.The price is much better than all of its competitors.

We at Sausage King at Experts in many cures However all supermarket and makro bacon is brine cured and pumped with brine to get the weight up. Weight = extra profit that the customer will lose in the frying pan as you will see the water coming out while cooking it in the pan and you will see what Quality bacon you have bought. It will shrink and have white brine coming out while cooking, If they dry cure it then it will keep the taste in the bacon and the size of your bacon will keep most of its size. Why do most companys not dry cure ok well example 1,000kg of pork in a dry cure will come out as 900kg when cured because the dry cure sucks the water out. The wet brine cure 1.000kg pork to start and then pumped with brine cure before they put in a brine to cure. Results = 1,200kg in weight gain = lots of extra profit but not fair to the customer, most supermarket hams are the same. Rob/sk

The frozen streaky bacon sold in Macro is the best I have tasted in Thailand.Although it is sold for the restaurant trade in kilo packs, it is not difficult to partly thaw and repack in smaller quantities.The price is much better than all of its competitors.

Edited by SausageKing

We at Sausage King at Experts in many cures However all supermarket and makro bacon is brine cured and pumped with brine to get the weight up. Weight = extra profit that the customer will lose in the frying pan as you will see the water coming out while cooking it in the pan and you will see what Quality bacon you have bought. It will shrink and have white brine coming out while cooking, If they dry cure it then it will keep the taste in the bacon and the size of your bacon will keep most of its size. Why do most companys not dry cure ok well example 1,000kg of pork in a dry cure will come out as 900kg when cured because the dry cure sucks the water out. The wet brine cure 1.000kg pork to start and then pumped with brine cure before they put in a brine to cure. Results = 1,200kg in weight gain = lots of extra profit but not fair to the customer, most supermarket hams are the same. Rob/sk

Pumping up Bacon is nothing new in the UK and Europe in general and a lot of Supermarket bacon is so treated. Huge amounts come in like it from Denmark and Holland in particular and the latter is also a big supplier of pumped up Chicken portions as well. More water=more money and to hell with the customer.

Well said well educated and spot on.

Pumping up Bacon is nothing new in the UK and Europe in general and a lot of Supermarket bacon is so treated. Huge amounts come in like it from Denmark and Holland in particular and the latter is also a big supplier of pumped up Chicken portions as well. More water=more money and to hell with the customer.

makro has some great deals. I would be wary of the mystery meats though.. Probably a high ratio of snouts and bungholes in those products.

Love that place overall. It's pretty much where all the small vendors shop before they mark stuff up 20 to 30%

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

Northern Farms for me is the best place to buy sausage, I tried SK but wasn't impressed but each to his own. I know alot of people swear by him so he must be doing something right, but I just prefer Northern Farms.

I agree if you are talking about that American style streaky bacon, it tastes good and from memory is about 180b a kilo but the fact that recently i have only ever seen it in frozen packs has put me off buying it as i had thought it would be too difficult to separate and put in smaller packs, but you suggest partly thawing and then re-freezing in smaller packs is OK?

Cheshire,

I had long sampled various types of croissant - both in Europe and North America, with various ypes of jam; Ham; Ham and Cheese; Ham Cheese and salad - but never bacon.

When I started my little company eight years ago I had, what I thought then was an original inspiration (How self-opinionated and wrong can one be) and every morning cooked my several Thai employees bacon served with warm with croissants. What ever they may have thought there were not even crumbs left on the plate by the time that they had finished.

Today I did a Google search on Croissant with Bacon and was overwhelmed by the number of hits. Look like its popular not just in Thailand but Globally.

Try it. You may change your mind !

Gladiator

What are you on about? Been eating croissant's for years in the UK with savoury fillings. Even melt cheese on top of ham or bacon and plonk slices of tomato between the meat and the cheese. Still doing it in Thailand although the croissant's are a little sweeter here than in Europe. Doesn't stop me indulging though.

Edited by trainman34014