Stop Bullying, Pheu Thai Told

Lite Beer

Stop bullying, Pheu Thai told

By The Nation on Sunday

30158159-01.jpg

Democrats slam protests by red shirts during campaign trail, plan to rally at Ratchaprasong

Democrat Party leaders yesterday denounced what they said was bullying by supporters of the rival Pheu Thai Party while expressing confidence many of their own supporters were among the "silent majority" who did not identify their favourite party in recent opinion polls.

They also plan to hold a major election rally on Thursday at the Ratchaprasong intersection - the site of last year's anti-government protest by the red shirts - to counter allegations that the Democrats were solely responsible for the 91 deaths in last year's unrest and rioting.

Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said that many of the party's supporters were peace-loving and they did not want to get into trouble for clearly stating that they were Democrat supporters.

"I believe there are many people in this group. They keep their choice to themselves. My message to the bullies is that they now have a little more than 10 days to do the bullying. When July 3 [the election day] arrives, the Thais will tell you that you can bully the Democrat Party but you can't bully Thailand," Abhisit said.

He was referring to frequent protests by the red shirts - generally viewed as supporters of Pheu Thai - during campaigning tours by senior Democrat figures, including himself, chief adviser Chuan Leekpai and secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban.

"Tomorrow, I will go to Samut Prakan and Nonthaburi, and I expect to see bullying again. It's fine if they bully me and the Democrat Party. But on election day, people will tell them they have no time left to bully Thailand," he said.

Apirak Kosayodhin, the Democrat Party's campaign chief in Bangkok, said that Abhisit and other senior party figures would explain about what happened during the political unrest in the past two years at the Ratchaprasong rally on Thursday.

"The party picked Ratchaprasong to talk about putting out the fire for Thailand. It's the fire in the Thai hearts that are still burning and the country is still divided. The party looks ahead to the future and we are not trying to cause further division," Apirak said, adding that the venue was just symbolic.

The former Bangkok governor said that he believed many eligible voters - particularly those in Bangkok - kept their true feelings about last year's unrest to themselves and would express their views when going to the poll on July 3. He said he was convinced that many people who told pollsters they were undecided had actually made up their minds but they simply did not want to cause hostility in a volatile political situation.

He said recent surveys by the party showed that the Democrats and Pheu Thai would share the first 400 out of the 500 House seats with a very close margin. The election result could resemble the one in 1996, when the Democrats lost to the New Aspiration Party by only two seats.

Suthep, the Democrat secretary-general, said the party had to explain to the public after it had been accused about last year's unrest.

He also called on Pheu Thai to tell the red shirts to stop "bullying" the Democrats during their campaign tour. "I can't stand it anymore. I denounce Pheu Thai for allowing bullies to interrupt the campaigning. I call on the public to oppose these people," Suthep said.

Meanwhile, Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong Nopparit yesterday described the Democrat rally at Ratchaprasong as just a political game aimed at wooing votes. "Don't just put the blame on the red shirts. Don't talk about the old story," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-19

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my # 1 complaint about the red shirts has finally been confirmed by the government and frankly its about time someone other than me said it out loud

they can't defend or condemn their actions as despite their efforts to put distance between the two factions, Phua Thai and the red revolutionarys are one and the same

when the red pheu thai mouthpieces try to deflect blame, they are just paying lip service to the issue

Phua Thai should be banned for allowing these people to hijack the opposition rallies

maybe after Ratchaprasong II-the Sequel, they will be................

The former Bangkok governor said that he believed many eligible voters - particularly those in Bangkok - kept their true feelings about last year's unrest to themselves and would express their views when going to the poll on July 3. He said he was convinced that many people who told pollsters they were undecided had actually made up their minds but they simply did not want to cause hostility in a volatile political situation.

Probably yes, but it will be not the Democrats they will vote for.

Which polls did you get that detail from?

I think you could be right.

Not quite sure what the Democrats are complaining about.Abhisit doesn't get too bad a reception:in fact people quite like him (everybody likes a gent) regardless of politics.Suthep gets a poor reception because Thai people, outside his NST bailliwick, recognise a crocodile when they see one.According to Richard Barrow, blogger, Abhisit got a better reception in Samut Prakan - a so called Red stronghold - than Yingluck.

Edited by jayboy

I think you could be right.

birds of a feather stick together...........

Not quite sure what the Democrats are complaining about.Abhisit doesn't get too bad a reception:in fact people quite like him (everybody likes a gent) regardless of politics.Suthep gets a poor reception because Thai people, outside his NST bailliwick, recognise a crocodile when they see one.According to Richard Barrow, blogger, Abhisit got a better reception in Samut Prakan - a so called Red stronghold - than Yingluck.

It says what they are complaining about in the OP.

He was referring to frequent protests by the red shirts - generally viewed as supporters of Pheu Thai - during campaigning tours by senior Democrat figures, including himself, chief adviser Chuan Leekpai and secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban.

"Tomorrow, I will go to Samut Prakan and Nonthaburi, and I expect to see bullying again. It's fine if they bully me and the Democrat Party. But on election day, people will tell them they have no time left to bully Thailand," he said.

Not quite sure what the Democrats are complaining about.Abhisit doesn't get too bad a reception:in fact people quite like him (everybody likes a gent) regardless of politics.Suthep gets a poor reception because Thai people, outside his NST bailliwick, recognise a crocodile when they see one.According to Andrew Barrow, blogger, Abhisit got a better reception in Samut Prakan - a so called Red stronghold - than Yingluck.

just watching Abhisit on a re-run of world report on the BBC

he came over very well , he is a very good ambassador/spokesman for Thailand

its hard to believe some people want to replace him with the bumbling Thaksin or his equally clumsy and frequently crying sister

All what the Democrats realise is that they are generally not being welcomed by the people.

Don't blame the red shirt for it if nobody really loves you.

So therefore, on the basis of your statement the Dems will not get any votes?

Which polls did you get that detail from?

The PTP Play Book.

..., Abhisit got a better reception in Samut Prakan - a so called Red stronghold - than Yingluck.

There is a pertinent factoid to ponder.

The Silent Majority exists and is not telegraphing it's intentions.

No matter how PTP spins it or how pretty her face, they are not getting 50%

more likely the typical 1/3rd they usually get, her face may counter act the Red faces a little.

But that always leaves 2/3rds of the voting public that are NOT and never were, for PTP/PPP/TRT. Even the one larger TRT coalition anomaly was partly smaller parties blocks being sold to Thaksin before the election, not after.

So regardless of spin and such, the silent majority will have it's say about the 'Reds work' last year, and whether they should be included in a new government. And given absolution for all sins.

How many average people in this country are truly for destruction as a way to win power?

Edited by animatic

But that always leaves 2/3rds of the voting public that are NOT

and never were, for PTP/PPP/TRT. Even the one larger TRT coalition anomaly

was partly smaller parties blocks being sold to Thaksin before the election, not after.

You could of course say exactly the same about the government run by the Democrats.The distinction is of course is that the PTP/PPP/TRT has consistently been able to win elections.The Democrats very rarely have.

its hard to believe some people want to replace him with the bumbling Thaksin or his equally clumsy and frequently crying sister

The Thai electorate probably don't make their choice over some bbc report or some youtube music video.

They are in Thailand, listen and watch Thai news on Thai television and read Thai newspaper. If you would do the same it isn't so hard to believe why some people want replace Abhisit with Yingluck. If you are not out of touch with reality, live in Thailand and talk with the Thai people, follow the news you will perfectly understand why the majority of Thais don't want Abhisit anymore and why Yingluck will win the election.

PT offers new faces to politics and they are not only beautiful but also intelligent.

http://www.thaivisa....k-constituency/

Oh no not the BBC. There were far more Thai TV broadcasts of Thaksins obvious perfidious conduct and lies, for the average Thai to view and form an opinion from.

It has gotten harder for the PTP / REDS / Thaksin political machine to HIDE the truth from the average Thai, even up country. COnsidering how many 20-30ish Thais work down south and in Bangkok,

and see and hear information shut out in Issan and the North, they relay that info in near realtime with telephones, VCD and such, and this has to be seen next to the Red Propaganda information, and judged on it's meritas by the average non-aligned Thai. You know the ones who quietly nod to the red rabble rousers, but vote their own mind, based on family connections and information they receive from more than one single biased source. The silent majority will have their say, and hold their own council till their ballot drops.

Any PTP victory will be disallowed because of Taksin interfering with Thai politics. I believe he is banned, O and a convicted felon.On the run from justice and a few other things in there as well.

But that always leaves 2/3rds of the voting public that are NOT

and never were, for PTP/PPP/TRT. Even the one larger TRT coalition anomaly

was partly smaller parties blocks being sold to Thaksin before the election, not after.

You could of course say exactly the same about the government run by the Democrats.The distinction is of course is that the PTP/PPP/TRT has consistently been able to win elections.The Democrats very rarely have.

Yes, to some extent,

but the Dems still have created governments with other parties.

Very rarely or just rarely recently?

-----------

1946 elections, the Pridi-led coalition had won a majority in the Parliament.

January 29, 1948, the Democrats won the majority for the first time, and reappointed Khuang as Premier.

The Democrats, led by Seni Pramoj, formed a coalition government in February 1974.

The Democrat Party became an outspoken opponent of military rule in Thai Politics during the 1990s. The Democrat Party was the key member of the "People Power" movement in 1992.

The first Chuan government (1992–1995)

Chuan was again Premier from 1997 to 2001

most recently 2008-2011

---------

Of course there are many backstories to why the Dems didn't have more governments, many or most relating to military maneuverings. The military actually prevented more Dem Party governments than any of their own actions... Yet many here whine that the Dems and Military are together.

A minority coalition government is still a government and typical in Thailand.

And these in relation to the Red destruction of Bangkok and other parts,

may well be an under counted factor in the vote, that is now being brought out more forcefully.

Edited by animatic

My prediction:

Both Pheu Thai and the democrats will be disqualified because of bullying. No double standards any more.

Miss Thailand will be the next minister president because we only want a nice face.

The government will be formed by the only party that didn't buy votes, the no vote party.

Thaksin will be allowed to be at the wedding of his daughter at the Prae Vear temple and will kiss the dirty soil in the disputed territory.

A post in which the quoted text had been modified using bold font has been edited to it's original condition.

30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

A post in which the quoted text had been modified using bold font has been edited to it's original condition.

30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

I do switch fonts if there are' too many quotes to repost' based on the systems settings,

and the original thread idea is lost if I remove a post,

So I take it out of quotes, leave the quote 'owner, post time and date info'

and change that single original posts font so it remains part of a post quoting it.

Usually using a quite different font to tie the whole thing obviously together for clarity.

Thus the original ideas remain clear, but the font is changed to make sure

people SEE the context, rather than to in any way CHANGE the context.

There hasn't been a ruling on this usage, but it is done

to not lose context in a chain of discussion.

If I want to 'pull out a line' I copy it below, and modify it in quotes

as part of my response. The original, often in ...elipses... remains the same,

but the single idea is noted a 2nd time for comment.

Two ways to do it.

"The election result could resemble the one in 1996, when the Democrats lost to the New Aspiration Party by only two seats."

I would hope they are setting their sights higher than 32% of the vote or 123 seats.

"The election result could resemble the one in 1996, when the Democrats lost to the New Aspiration Party by only two seats."

I would hope they are setting their sights higher than 32% of the vote or 123 seats.

New Aspiration Party? Oh yes, sold to Thaksin for 40 pieces of silver in 2001.

One thing you could say about Chavalit (you could say many things, but one nice thing) at least he had the honour to admit responsibility and resign over the tear gas debacle. Taking responsibility not very common in the Thaksin crowd, but then again he was a mercenary convert, not a true believer.

Not quite sure what the Democrats are complaining about.Abhisit doesn't get too bad a reception:in fact people quite like him (everybody likes a gent) regardless of politics.Suthep gets a poor reception because Thai people, outside his NST bailliwick, recognise a crocodile when they see one.According to Andrew Barrow, blogger, Abhisit got a better reception in Samut Prakan - a so called Red stronghold - than Yingluck.

basically, you are expressing the view that you judge a Thai politician's competency on the basis of his/her fluency in the English language. The attachment of the edited spooling of a Mr. Thaksin pausing while speaking demonstrates a condescending arrogance. .

Are you fluent in Thai? Are you capable of giving an eloquent address in Thai? I think not. Have you listened to some of the world's past and present political leaders stumble about in a foreign language? The UN Secretary General is considered to be quite good and yet his English skills are not impressive. Merkel, Sarkozy, and Zapotero stumble when speaking english too. What's your point? Canada had a PM that mangled the english language and yet he was able to balance the budget. Yes, PM Abhisit looks nice and yes he speaks english well. So what? In Asia, the dominant economies are India and China and the last time I heard their leaders speak, their english language skills were poor as well.

basically, you are expressing the view that you judge a Thai politician's competency on the basis of his/her fluency in the English language. The attachment of the edited spooling of a Mr. Thaksin pausing while speaking demonstrates a condescending arrogance. .

Are you fluent in Thai? Are you capable of giving an eloquent address in Thai? I think not. Have you listened to some of the world's past and present political leaders stumble about in a foreign language? The UN Secretary General is considered to be quite good and yet his English skills are not impressive. Merkel, Sarkozy, and Zapotero stumble when speaking english too. What's your point? Canada had a PM that mangled the english language and yet he was able to balance the budget. Yes, PM Abhisit looks nice and yes he speaks english well. So what? In Asia, the dominant economies are India and China and the last time I heard their leaders speak, their english language skills were poor as well.

The ability to express your self clearly on difficult subjects in a second language is an excellent indication of how well you can do it in your native tongue.

Edited by animatic