Living Unattached

ade

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who has 500 million baht in the bank and a Thai wife will not have 500 million baht for long.

Just because you lost a lot of your money to a Thai woman, it doesn't mean everyone else does or will. :)

So what's the secret, short of dumping them, how do you stop them from spending as if money grows on trees?

Don't allow them access to your money.

Anyone who has 500 million baht in the bank and a Thai wife will not have 500 million baht for long.

Just because you lost a lot of your money to a Thai woman, it doesn't mean everyone else does or will. :)

So what's the secret, short of dumping them, how do you stop them from spending as if money grows on trees?

Don't allow them access to your money.

We'll, I'd agree that you should definitely never let them know how much you earn or how much you have in savings. But access... cutting that off is easier said than done if you're talking about a woman who you are in a long term relationship with, living with, and with whom you have a reasonable degree of communication.

Don't underestimate the capability of a Thai woman to manufacture crises and come up with compelling reasons that you should solve the problem with cash. Sick mother and dead buffalo stories are what the Isaan girls use to extract a few hundred dollars out of a farang, but the Thai girls who grew up BKK middle class or above are a hell of a lot more skilled in getting money out of your pocket and a hell of a less transparent about it. Basically whores are cheap and are happy with chump change but "respectable" Thai girls with hi-so aspirations expect country club memberships, BMW Z3's, and get violently pissed off if you feed their dog 2 cups of food thrice per day instead of 3 cups twice. What I say now is give me a neurotic Jewish girl from the Hamptons anytime, they are a hell of a lot less complicated, less volatile, and cheaper, than any "normal" Thai woman that you're ever going to meet.

We'll, I'd agree that you should definitely never let them know how much you earn or how much you have in savings. But access... cutting that off is easier said than done if you're talking about a woman who you are in a long term relationship with, living with, and with whom you have a reasonable degree of communication.

Not if you never give them access to you $$$ in the first place. As you said, it's rather difficult to un-ring a bell.

I was married to a foreign national for many years where I maintained my financial accounts from before the marriage, then setup a separate joint account for our living expenses and her spending money. What they don't know won't hurt you.

Don't underestimate the capability of a Thai woman to manufacture crises and come up with compelling reasons that you should solve the problem with cash.

Tell them to prove to you that there is a crisis. Show me the details. Let me talk to the Doc who is taking care of Mom. This is a major red flag in any relationship, be it pro or romantic. If she thinks she can play you for a chump and get away with it, then woe be unto you if she gets her hooks into you. She will have zero respect for you in the future and you will become just another mark to be played.

What I say now is give me a neurotic Jewish girl from the Hamptons anytime, they are a hell of a lot less complicated, less volatile, and cheaper, than any "normal" Thai woman that you're ever going to meet.

Kind of gone full circle, haven't you? :whistling:

I'm always amazed by the number of tight-fisted miserable old skinflints on this forum. If that's all you think about, no wonder you think the women are only after you're money; its probably all you've got going for you...

SC

I'm always amazed by the number of tight-fisted miserable old skinflints on this forum. If that's all you think about, no wonder you think the women are only after you're money; its probably all you've got going for you...

SC

You have no knowledge about the situation on which you are commenting,

Edited by OriginalPoster

SC

Life's lessons can be harsh. Like the one where a man loses 1/2 of his net worth in a divorce.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Edited by KeyserSoze01

SC

Life's lessons can be harsh. Like the one where a man loses 1/2 of his net worth in a divorce.

What do you need the other half of the money for, anyway? If you had plenty, it will not be missed, and if you didn't have plenty, it was scarcely worth squabbling for. I would have thought you might be more disappointed about losing your wife, unless the money was more important to you...

SC

SC

What do you need the other half of the money for, anyway? If you had plenty, it will not be missed, and if you didn't have plenty, it was scarcely worth squabbling for. I would have thought you might be more disappointed about losing your wife, unless the money was more important to you...

SC

re: "If you had plenty, it will not be missed, and if you didn't have plenty, it was scarcely worth squabbling for." - you're mistaken if you think that you are discussing this issue with people who have the net worth of Bill Gates. Some of us would like to be able to retire one day rather than work until we're 100 years old. It might sound materialistic to you, but spending every dime the second that you earn it is not a good long-term strategy.

Edited by OriginalPoster

SC

SC

re: "If you had plenty, it will not be missed, and if you didn't have plenty, it was scarcely worth squabbling for." - you're mistaken if you think that you are discussing this issue with people who have the net worth of Bill Gates. Some of us would like to me able to retire one day rather than work until we're 100 years old. It might sound materialistic to you, but spending every dime the second that you earn it is not a good long-term strategy.

Presumably, as you earn it, when you're married, you're setting aside provisions for the liabilities you're incurring, so when those liabilities are realised in the divorce courts, its all provided for anyway.

SC

SC

SC

The first sentence of your reply either brands you as a troll -or- horribly naive about life. Either way, you are dangerous to yourself and thank Buddha, not to me.

Seems that you are content living on whatever fate chooses to throw your way. No planning for the future, no savings for a rainy day, no thoughts of retirement, no aspirations of having anything any better than what you have right now, living day-to-day. Correct? If so, then perhaps you have been in Thailand too long and have gone native.

SC

re: "If you had plenty, it will not be missed, and if you didn't have plenty, it was scarcely worth squabbling for." - you're mistaken if you think that you are discussing this issue with people who have the net worth of Bill Gates. Some of us would like to me able to retire one day rather than work until we're 100 years old. It might sound materialistic to you, but spending every dime the second that you earn it is not a good long-term strategy.

Presumably, as you earn it, when you're married, you're setting aside provisions for the liabilities you're incurring, so when those liabilities are realised in the divorce courts, its all provided for anyway.

SC

<deleted> are you talking about? Have you ever had a job and run a household?

SC

I was commenting on the apparent prevalence of miserable old skinflints on threads such as this. Of course, I expect many of the posters are yuppies practising their misogyny under cloak of anonymity because otherwise their wives

would give them an earful, but we can only comment on what others write, based on a reading in good faith.

SC

SC

SC

<deleted> are you talking about? Have you ever had a job and run a household?

I have someone else do that for me.

SC

I was commenting on the apparent prevalence of miserable old skinflints on threads such as this. Of course, I expect many of the posters are yuppies practising their misogyny under cloak of anonymity because otherwise their wives

would give them an earful, but we can only comment on what others write, based on a reading in good faith.

SC

BS, you don't know me, you are just talking out of your ass.

SC

SC

The first sentence of your reply either brands you as a troll -or- horribly naive about life. Either way, you are dangerous to yourself and thank Buddha, not to me.

Seems that you are content living on whatever fate chooses to throw your way. No planning for the future, no savings for a rainy day, no thoughts of retirement, no aspirations of having anything any better than what you have right now, living day-to-day. Correct? If so, then perhaps you have been in Thailand too long and have gone native.

You're quite right - life could not be any better. I'm hoping to keep the savings for when I retire, but if it rains before then, I'll have to work till I'm a hundred - I hope I still enjoy my work as much then... I suppose I could grizzle about whatever fate throws my way, but then I'd be miserable;I suppose I could then eke out some meagre pleasure by counting my coppers, and eating cold salty porridge; perhaps I could live in fear and trepidation about what might happen, as well. But seriously, what's the worst that could happen? What could possibly go wrong? I mean, let's face it, worse things happen at sea...

If we were not supposed to take things in our stride, it would be called the 110 m obstacle race, not the hurdles.

SC

SC

BS, you don't know me, you are just talking out of your ass.

What on earth makes you believe that I think I know you? God forbid! I had intended my comments on the aggregate, rather than picking on specific individuals, but if the cap fits...

Anyway, as usual, I would suggest that rather than responding to what you think I meant, you should read carefully and try to understand what I actually wrote (pearls before swine, I know - that's a turn of phrase, and not intended as a literal insult, by the way)

SC

SC

SC

You must not be thinking straight. An old guy who comes here most likely does not have Thai medical insurance. The difference between life and death might be an extra couple of million baht in the bank. It makes sense to conserve your money to have something to fall back on. You can't support the wife if you are dead. Same goes for the wife's dad, Thais are not too forward looking. The health card only pays for so much.

SC

SC

You must not be thinking straight. An old guy who comes here most likely does not have Thai medical insurance. The difference between life and death might be an extra couple of million baht in the bank. It makes sense to conserve your money to have something to fall back on. You can't support the wife if you are dead. Same goes for the wife's dad, Thais are not too forward looking. The health card only pays for so much.

If the only difference between life and death is a couple of million baht, then you might as well spend the money now, so that you appreciate the difference when the time comes... I'd rather spend my money on living, on wine, women, and song, than on a kidney machine. Sadly, when the time comes, we rarely get the choice, but we have that choice now.

You are right though - better to spend money on medical insurance and pass the problem to someone else (risk transfer - I am not being sarcastic there!). Unfortunately, it is difficult (if not impossible - I don't know as I have never really tried) as I say it is difficult to find medical insurance that really covers our needs; normally there are claim limits and so forth. As far as I am concerned, I would rather a larger excess than a claim limit. I think that insurance claims that are not worth investigating for fraud cost us all a lot of money...

Anyway, that takes us on to the benefit of annuities in preference to savings; let someone else carry the risk of you surviving...

'no savings for a rainy day, no thoughts of retirement' - I had to chuckle at that line of KS'; I just have better things to do than wait for a rainy day; imagine saving up a big pension and then popping one's clogs at 60, when you still had ten years' career ahead of you; I am following Santa as my career role model, still working round the world, even though he is old and grey, and, I think, still enjoying his work.

SC

SC

'no savings for a rainy day, no thoughts of retirement' - I had to chuckle at that line of KS'; I just have better things to do than wait for a rainy day; imagine saving up a big pension and then popping one's clogs at 60, when you still had ten years' career ahead of you; I am following Santa as my career role model, still working round the world, even though he is old and grey, and, I think, still enjoying his work.

SC

+1 :thumbsup:

Live like you are dying is the best advice I can think of.

Work like it depends on you and pray like it depends on God.

Life is overated. Nobody has found a way to make it last forever so why prolong the agony?

to have a partner........... no matter what they are.

loneliness is a pain.

Maybe, but living with someone is a pain too ... mostly in the neck.

Just because someone is alone doesnt mean that they are lonely.

One is never alone if one has a furry companion. :D

Live like you are dying is the best advice I can think of.

Work like it depends on you and pray like it depends on God.

Life is overated. Nobody has found a way to make it last forever so why prolong the agony?

If you're worried about covering up mistakes and saving face, it pays to think ahead and remember that you're a long time dead

SC

I have a Thai family and have had for a long time.

Mom and dad about my age and two sons. Mom is in charge of the money as was granny before her.

When I first met them years ago I had a chance to get a lot of money from them for a business deal if I kept my mouth shut. I didn't and pointed out to them a flaw in the contract they had signed.

I am also cheap. They know I am cheap, heck everyone knows I am cheap.

They have a big family, 200 plus relatives and when we go to the Wat I sit in the front row with momma. When we give money to the monks 2, 3, 4 million baht I am always given the envelope last to count it and hand it to the monks.

I just got a call from momma, she wants me to meet with the family next week because they are buying three new buildings and starting a new business. Every time the family makes a major financial decision I am consulted. Why? Because I am honest and I am cheap.

So I have a reputation as an old skinflint who watches my pennies. I don't work any more. A few contracts if the price is right but I would rather watch what I spend rather than sweat with a boss.

I could have a bigger house, prettier younger women older whiskey and faster horses but I don't.

My gf is on the wrong side of 30, a bit on the chubby side and my horse gets slower every day. Stress? I don't have any.

having been in a few reationships ,

but never gone as far as a wedding cake ,

i have problems digesting thai ones. <_<

the major problem with being a batchelor boy ,

is too much booze , and too many late nites.

aprt from that , its frkng paradise.

:jap: