How Much Should We Pay A Maid

JolyonB

I know there have been many posts relating to Maids, but what is currently the going rate in Pattaya? We are offering B8000, food and a very nice room with TV, work 6 days a week, friendly. The last one just decided to leave one day. Now everyone who comes round is asking for B12000.

It would appear that the rate for locals who have no idea is B8000 and anyone who actually knows how to clean to European standards is B12000. Would appreciate some feedback.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Thai friend has a Laos maid...she is paid 4k a month and 2 days off.

We had a Thai maid before moving for 5 years and she was paid 7k and 2 days off.

Before her we had a Burmese maid that was outstanding, cleaned perfectly, arranged everything like a hotel room every day and night. she was paid 6k and 2 days off.

So there you go......this 12k thing is crap and just another foreigner can pay more thing.

Them maids are quite happy to work in ( Thai owned) hotels for 5k a month doing really backbreaking cleaning 8 hours a day, 6 days a week but when they come to a house with a farang residing, they want the world to be their oyster! We had a maid for 3000 baht a month, working 3 days a week, 3 hours only and when she flooded the house by wrongly dropping the garden hose, she just left - never to be seen again!

We had a Thai maid before moving for 5 years and she was paid 7k and 2 days off.

Before her we had a Burmese maid that was outstanding, cleaned perfectly, arranged everything like a hotel room every day and night. she was paid 6k and 2 days off.

So there you go......this 12k thing is crap and just another foreigner can pay more thing.

I will also be in need of a live in maid in a few months time,and for sure I'm not gonna pay 12k a month.Any suggestions as to how you can find a Burmese or Lao maid as I assume they will not read the English ad's on Thaivisa.

3k a month is enough.After all free board and lodging.Say a day off a week. Which can be saved up so as to havd a week off now snd sgain.mFind one without s boyfriend or older lady..No ex bar girls..Burmeze us the way forward..Remember the 3k is in thr pocket at the end of each month!

I will also be in need of a live in maid in a few months time,and for sure I'm not gonna pay 12k a month.Any suggestions as to how you can find a Burmese or Lao maid as I assume they will not read the English ad's on Thaivisa.

Simple, just ask around. However, be aware, if the Lao or Burmese person does not have a visa and work permit. You can face severe penalties for providing room/board and work, should authorities find out.

One of the little Thai places I eat in pays a Thai woman from the north 5K per month, all found. She does the washing up and some food preparation, and serves drinks and meals, but she doesnt cook or handle money. Dont think she ever gets a day off, unless the place is closed.

my housekeeper works 9-6 mon-sat, sundays off

she does not live in

she has been with me 8 years and started at 5000 a month

i pay her 10,000 a month now

i give here an additional 1000 a month for fuel allowance as i moved out of the city and live out at Mabprachan now

i pay her for national holidays, songkran etc and two additional paid weeks off per year

she does all the laundry, ironing etc

she knows what i expect from her

i don't need to chase her around telling her what to do

she is like a family member know

i do not know how we would manage without her............

she does not live in

i give here an additional 1000 a month for fuel allowance as i moved out of the city and live out at Mabprachan now

i pay her for national holidays, songkran etc and two additional paid weeks off per year

hats of to for treating her like a human being, the posts about 3-5k 2 days per month holiday well i would like to see those people put on that and try and live on 3k per month spending money. we forigners do have the wealth so why not spread it around a little to those who were unfortunate to be born in the wrong part of the world.

i would like to see david wright try and live on 3k per month, thats exploytation and slave labour. Burmese are human beings as well. and yes you can end up in a world of pain employing somebody without a visa

hats of to for treating her like a human being, the posts about 3-5k 2 days per month holiday well i would like to see those people put on that and try and live on 3k per month spending money. we forigners do have the wealth so why not spread it around a little to those who were unfortunate to be born in the wrong part of the world.

i would like to see david wright try and live on 3k per month, thats exploytation and slave labour. Burmese are human beings as well. and yes you can end up in a world of pain employing somebody without a visa

Seeing as you are wealthy could you spread a little of it my way please, I can't afford a maid even at 3,000 Baht a month.

she does not live in

The difference you are missing is live-in or not. Timekeeper's maid has to pay her own rent, bills, some food, so obviously needs a higher salary. How much do you think she has left after her monthly expenditure? Not alot more than the others quoting various rates of 3-6k per month LIVE-IN.

Honest days work for an honest days pay.

minimum in Chonburi is 184b per day, don't be a tight ass.

Uhm, THB 184 x 29 (2 days off) = THB 5,336

THB 3,000 for 2 days per week is THB 300-THB 375 per day.

The regular pay per day in respectable businesses/companies is THB 200-THB 250 per day.

I paid my live in starting at 8k and after 2 months she was up to 10k, then after 6 months up to 12k and after 1 year she was at 16k. Her kids would visit us from the north and her and them became part of our family. If you want to hire a Burmese worker for 3k then please move to Burma. Sorry to the OP but most of your replies are just plain sick and in-humane.

Edited by Rimmer
Flame

I paid my live in starting at 8k and after 2 months she was up to 10k, then after 6 months up to 12k and after 1 year she was at 16k. Her kids would visit us from the north and her and them became part of our family. If you want to hire a Burmese worker for 3k then please move to Burma. Sorry to the OP but most of your replies are just plain sick and in-humane.

That is just nuts. I'm sure some broke farang would even work for that 16k amount.

Maid is low wage labor, 6k max. This is not Norway or Switzerland!!

she does not live in

Again. This is not Switzerland or Norway. The cost of living is a *bit* lower here. There is really no reason to pay more than 6k for low skill work and in fact people are happy to live on such sums. Anything more is just pure charity.

In fact, employees will not respect you if you pay such silly amounts.

Hey,what stops you from giving her your credit card?

I would look for a non Thai maid as well.

Just look around and you will notice that menial/hard labor positions are mostly filled by non Thais now. As Thailand develops more, the willingness of Thai nationals to do the mundane and relatively low paid jobs. Just the way the world economy works now :)

she does not live in

Again. This is not Switzerland or Norway. The cost of living is a *bit* lower here. There is really no reason to pay more than 6k for low skill work and in fact people are happy to live on such sums. Anything more is just pure charity.

In fact, employees will not respect you if you pay such silly amounts.

really? you know this........?

Edited by timekeeper

she does not live in

The difference you are missing is live-in or not. Timekeeper's maid has to pay her own rent, bills, some food, so obviously needs a higher salary. How much do you think she has left after her monthly expenditure? Not alot more than the others quoting various rates of 3-6k per month LIVE-IN.

what you are all forgetting is the size of her task

you have not factored in the size of the house she has to attend to nor the size of the family or ages of the family she helps to take care of or wether we live like pigs or we are tidy and ordered

at best a big family means more laundry, more ironing etc

at worst there could be three or four messy teenagers and elderly folks needs to contend with

one has to judge ones own circumstances against the value of the task in hand

i don't think there is any set wage for this kind of work

the work varies immensely from family to family

for the work and more important the quailty of the work she does in my house, she is worth every penny

in fact she is due a wage rise soon and i will be happy to pay it....................

no need, if Thaksin gets in, he will give her one............ :lol:

That is just nuts. I'm sure some broke farang would even work for that 16k amount.

Maid is low wage labor, 6k max. This is not Norway or Switzerland!!

nuts are some comments of people who never had a maid and therefore possess a wealth of "no idea". completely ignorant is the comment "maid is low wage labour". the demands are different and according to the demands one has to pay and provide perks. maids are like car rentals. you pay more for a BMW 7 than for a Toyota Jazz.

if you want an english speaking maid in Pattaya you won't find a Burmese maid -without work permit- willing to work for less than 8,000 Baht and a Thai national with passable english will not work for less than 10,000 Baht.

what you are all forgetting is the size of her task

you have not factored in the size of the house she has to attend to nor the size of the family or ages of the family she helps to take care of or wether we live like pigs or we are tidy and ordered

at best a big family means more laundry, more ironing etc

at worst there could be three or four messy teenagers and elderly folks needs to contend with

one has to judge ones own circumstances against the value of the task in hand

i don't think there is any set wage for this kind of work

the work varies immensely from family to family

for the work and more important the quailty of the work she does in my house, she is worth every penny

in fact she is due a wage rise soon and i will be happy to pay it....................

BINGO! :clap2:

>>if you want an english speaking maid in Pattaya you won't find a Burmese maid -without work permit- willing to work for less than 8,000 Baht and a Thai national with passable english will not work for less than 10,000 Baht. <<

Is French polishing part of their task for you ? :whistling:

Actually nothing did. She was with me for over 3 years and looked after my 160 w of land, my 2 dogs and my 80 year old dad. When I had to go away for work for 3 months I did leave her my ATM.

The salary I paid her was a lot but worth every cetang and included trust. She respect the way I treated her and her family and was very happy.

I would like to see anyone who is paying 3-5k per month do what I did and come back to a full house and account. You get what you pay for and if you respect people they will respect you back.

BTW Rimmer, sorry for the rude words in my last post and thanx for editing it.

if you want an english speaking maid in Pattaya you won't find a Burmese maid -without work permit- willing to work for less than 8,000 Baht and a Thai national with passable english will not work for less than 10,000 Baht.

You dont think that an English-speaking resturant girl from the north of Thailand would rather work as a maid in Pattaya than in a Thai restaurant in Pattaya, for the same 5K all found? The jobs seem similar to my untrained eye.

I pay a girl 2K per month & she comes round twice per week to clean the house and do any ironing (if there is any). It takes her no more than 3-4 hours to complete the job on each occasion so you could say she gets 250 baht per clean for just under half a days work.