Attidude On Samui

I get the same complaints every year in the low season. I mean what do people expect. Samui to be full of customers when it is classed as low season.

though this year i am getting so many complaints that i am actually beleiving it this year when i have herd the same thing every low season people saying " i have been here long time and never seen it so quiet"

is it me or is it for real this time.

also speaking to some of the Thai locals. They are getting very fustrated with long power cuts, lack of water and high airport fiars plus high cost of living.

Samui is not longer a tropical island. It is more like a 3rd world city.

Also the roads are terrible but what mostly pisses people off if the lack of living needs like electric.

I hope the Mayor has got a super plan up his sleave cause Samui needs it

Also is that big electric building probably built out of govements money ever going to open ?

As for having a govement airport the tax from the airport would benifit samui big time.

Infact Samui must genorate enough tax from all these extra hotels and villas that are gtting the blame for not enough electric to go round. So maybe with all the tax coming out of this over built Island maybe bout time we got something back.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a dump, charging way too much money for thirld world utilities. Its lawless, largely unfriendly, rip off taxis, extortianate air fares, filthy dirty and it smells. :o:unsure::D

Before anyone flames me, explain to me what aspect of my post isn't 100% correct?

Edited by carmine

Its a dump, charging way too much money for thirld world utilities. Its lawless, largely unfriendly, rip off taxis, extortianate air fares, filthy dirty and it smells. :o:unsure::D

Before anyone flames me, explain to me what aspect of my post isn't 100% correct?

You need to top that half emty glass up you might enjoy it here a bit more!

Think that was his optimistic view sketcher! laugh.gif

thats right smokie, i'm more optimistic now than i've been for a while. :D

thats right smokie, i'm more optimistic now than i've been for a while. :D

You know I guess some of you who live full time on Samui might not notice so much....particularly if you're income is in Baht (or Aus$)....but its as expensive for me as travelling in Europe....accomodation excepted.

Given the cheap prices of other Thai destinations and even more so in Vietnam and Cambodia its not a tough choice especially given Vietnam in particular has better beaches food and beer for a third of the price.

Now flame away gents! cool.gif

EDIT: Also noticed yesterday Vietnam Aiirways start direct flights London to Ho Chi Minh and Hanoi on 9th December.....bye bye Thailand.

Edited by smokie36

Back to the original OP what I dont get is why does Samui insist on calling this the low season. While virtually the rest of the 'holiday destinations' in Thailand are suffereing their annual rainy season Samui is in the middle of its 'dry' season This should be high season for us here yet nobody markets it that way. We are lucky to have the seasons we have here but virtually nobody seems to make the most of it.

Having previously come to Samui for holiday purposes about 8 years ago I thought it was an ok place to visit.Unfortunately I have now had to relocate for here for work purposes.Boy,has it changed for the worse.I just don't see the attraction for tourists.It's become an over developed shit hole.

Having previously come to Samui for holiday purposes about 8 years ago I thought it was an ok place to visit.Unfortunately I have now had to relocate for here for work purposes.Boy,has it changed for the worse.I just don't see the attraction for tourists.It's become an over developed shit hole.

Make the effort to get away from the overdeveloped shit hole parts and there is still plenty of beauty here. Get off the island and you dont even have to go far to find some great places. Yes it has chjanged, yes its not all good but in perspective its not all that bad.

Make the effort to get away from the overdeveloped shit hole parts and there is still plenty of beauty here. Get off the island and you dont even have to go far to find some great places. Yes it has chjanged, yes its not all good but in perspective its not all that bad.

Yeah...certain parts....but even then the prices remain too high.

And still it continues....all through greed.

Although Samui is still a great place, it is just too expensive compared to other parts of Thailand and other parts of S.E.Asia, with the global downturn businesses need to do all they can to attract customers rather than having the farmer mentality of raising prices because of a bad crop/lack of customers....

I had to pick someone up at Lomprayah this afternoon, the thing that struck me was that the boat was certainly more than half full not half empty! (probably closer to full)...

So to say things are "dead" does not seem to be the case... Makes one wonder how many people flew in or came by other ferries... as well.... although I realize it is a revolving door and many left the island too...

But not everyone, especially couples, comes to Samui / Thailand to sit in a bar... day and night...

It's become a case of too many establishments, that being hotels, bars and restaurants to choose from, spread over many areas, as someone stated, "different strokes for different folks" ....

Some areas more suited to different tastes.... and not everyone's taste.... , same same.... :)

I chat visitors with sometimes, always seem to be enjoying their stay here, so it's not all bad.... just that negative view points of view seem to come from negative people... but it take all sorts to make the world go round...... <_<

I think that you will find that anywhere that you visited 8 years ago will have changed for the worse. it is called progress. (I visited the Seychelles 10 years after my first visit. It had changed for the worse as well. It was still a great place to holiday though - just not as great as before!

There have been a lot of changes on Samui in the last 10 years (most in the the last 5 or 6 years) however, as a resident here I think that most are for the good.

Yes - 10 years ago - the local car hire wanted to charge me 250 baht to take me to the airport from Fisherman's Village!

However - as in ALL countries - stay away from tourist traps and you will enjoy life more and get ripped off less.

Back to the OP. Big C - I think that this low season is similar to others - maybe slightly less people thanks to the economic situation in Europe. However, Russians and Koreans are making up the numbers - they just do not go to the same places.

I come to Thailand approx 8 times a year and every time I would spend some time on Samui to see friends and have a break from the sticks (where my girlfriend lives). This is the first time I've not visited and apart from missing friends I did not miss Samui and the reasons are!

Bangkok Airways are overpriced. It's OK for all the one time visitors to Samui but for regulars it's too much. I can get 2 returns to Chiang Mai for the price of 2 singles to Samui

Prices, OK your an island but it doesn't cost that much in transport. You can get a large beer anywhere but probably bangkok for the price of a small one on Samui.

Traffic, Getting worse every visit.

Fun, The place is empty!

That's just a few! I don't mind the floods or bad weather. I love Samui but something needs to be done and soon or it will be forgotten about. First things first, sort out Bangkok Airways and get the punters back!

Fun, The place is empty!

If the place is empty, where is the traffic coming from?!?

largely irrelent to the amount of tourists here, or not so much as you could tell. It is very quiet here and all because of the same reasons that start with Bangkok Airways.

Fun, The place is empty!

If the place is empty, where is the traffic coming from?!?

All the locals who have made tons of money have now traded up to trucks instead of bikes.:D

Sadly it would seem many of them didn't bother with any driving instructions.:lol:

i left after 8 years, no power cuts then, living in small village in Chon Buri and its at least half the price of samui. no rips everthing priced up, usually with bar codes as well so all prices same. in town baht buses 10 baht alaround city. roads are great tarmaced and cleaned regulary. last week storm left a road in the village covered in sand, next day fire brigade cleaned it up. today all grass verges cut. lakes and mountains all around. leo 29 baht, san mig 40 baht got large 3 bed two bathroom house 8500 per month. swampy les than1 hour away air con bus 129 baht. full English 89 baht.wished i had left Samui years ago, best thing i ever did was to move away. give it a try. one downside ploice do checks regular which for me is good thing but you see them every day doing car searches and motorbike checks under seats. if you got licence, insurance and proof of owner ship never a problem

Pattaya town is dead though which again is a good thing, as beachcomber says girls here going to BKK to get normal work at 8-10k per month

Edited by NALAK

for sure Samui seems quieter this year than most,the tourist downturn would seem to have affected expat workers the most,as many seem to be leaving and lets face it the thai authorities seem bent on making it more and more difficult to obtain non immigration B visa and subsequent work permit....................have to conclude they just dont like us,thats why places like cambodia appear a more attractive option.banrak is as dead as a dodo,only thing missing is the tumbleweed..................anyone tell me "how is chaweng" after 11pm...............still busy?

Back to the original OP what I dont get is why does Samui insist on calling this the low season. While virtually the rest of the 'holiday destinations' in Thailand are suffereing their annual rainy season Samui is in the middle of its 'dry' season This should be high season for us here yet nobody markets it that way. We are lucky to have the seasons we have here but virtually nobody seems to make the most of it.

Thats true weather wise it is the best time of the year.. crazy

i left after 8 years, no power cuts then, living in small village in Chon Buri and its at least half the price of samui. no rips everthing priced up, usually with bar codes as well so all prices same. in town baht buses 10 baht alaround city. roads are great tarmaced and cleaned regulary. last week storm left a road in the village covered in sand, next day fire brigade cleaned it up. today all grass verges cut. lakes and mountains all around. leo 29 baht, san mig 40 baht got large 3 bed two bathroom house 8500 per month. swampy les than1 hour away air con bus 129 baht. full English 89 baht.wished i had left Samui years ago, best thing i ever did was to move away. give it a try. one downside ploice do checks regular which for me is good thing but you see them every day doing car searches and motorbike checks under seats. if you got licence, insurance and proof of owner ship never a problem

Pattaya town is dead though which again is a good thing, as beachcomber says girls here going to BKK to get normal work at 8-10k per month

funnily enough all the samui people that own the land around me have vanished. Went to the land office to try to find them for my personal business but the problem is that they have not been seen for guess what about 8 years. One person did come back to one of the plots. they live in Bangkok they just came back to sorte something out with the Teesabaan. Then they left ain't been seen since.

Not being funny but if i was born and breed here and i sold my land for a hell of allot of money. then my money would go further in Bangkok plus there are allot more business optunities there. Being a capital city and all that.

gives them a head start. the good thing though if the the Old school samui farmers that are now very rich have sent there kids to the best schools and now are coming back educated. I hope the children of samui ( samui's future ) shape things in a more intelligent way.

only time will tell. not time shares !!!

so it is in Europe...sunny, very nice and daylight until 22:00h....everyone is happy

so it is in Europe...sunny, very nice and daylight until 22:00h....everyone is happy

funny thing is that i came here orgionally to get away from Europians and other annoying English people. now there are all my neibours are far as the eye can see. Got the Essex mob over the road. the Euros up the road. I am getting closed down by my own race !!!! :ph34r:

funny thing is that i came here orgionally to get away from Europians and other annoying English people. now there are all my neibours are far as the eye can see. Got the Essex mob over the road. the Euros up the road. I am getting closed down by my own race !!!! :ph34r:

oh my spell check is dying to correct Big C's spelling....:lol:

Thank goodness I don't have the Essex mob across the street.... four years of going to skool in Essex was enough for me! :D

Other than Thai's and Burmese, who are all great, I have a Russian couple and two French...as closest neighbours.... Everyone pretty much gets along... which is the way it should be... and is generally ... except for our mutual landlady who seems to irritate both Farangs and Thai's .... she seems to think we are all her "servants" to do as she demands..... and not renters wishing to have privacy :(........:rolleyes:

(The Burmese are down the road, but they are as "quiet as church mice" and don't interfere with anyone except to stop & chat occasionally.... )

But getting back to the point of the topic......

I have been on KP the last few days, staying at my favorite resort in the NW corner of the island and really amazed that each night they were serving about 60 people during the evening meals.... from 5 to 9 pm....

Mostly late 20's to early 30's except for a few "old farts" like me....;):D

The staff saying that they were busy all day too, for lunch and after noon meals.... Then all closes down at 9 pm sharp! (10 pm in high season)....

I thought it strange, this is place probably has more people turn over, in one restaurant / bar at one resort, & has more people than most all restaurants in Maenam (I will use as an example ..... put together....? ).....

So, it shows that not everyone is looking for bars and busy areas (not that Maenam is busy .... except for the walking street on Thursdays!) to spend their holidays.... but have something quiet and pleasant and get away from the hustle & bustle of their busy lives and just chill out.......... and I'd say, these are not "hang overs" from the FMP either....

Most from France according to the manager .....a few Brits going by accents, and a few Russians thrown in....

This is a mid range resort, not some "back packer" place...they don't advertise heavily or even have a web page..... just one of those word of mouth places...... was always a favorite place for me before I made the move and retired here....

Personally I prefer Samui as a place for long term living, but most of KP is a great place for a holiday or short visits....B)

oh!...... and I heard more whispering about that small airport coming to KP ....some time.... sooner or later.... too.... shhhhhh!

oh my spell check is dying to correct Big C's spelling....:lol:

Thank goodness I don't have the Essex mob across the street.... four years of going to skool in Essex was enough for me! :D

Other than Thai's and Burmese, who are all great, I have a Russian couple and two French...as closest neighbours.... Everyone pretty much gets along... which is the way it should be... and is generally ... except for our mutual landlady who seems to irritate both Farangs and Thai's .... she seems to think we are all her "servants" to do as she demands..... and not renters wishing to have privacy :(........:rolleyes:

(The Burmese are down the road, but they are as "quiet as church mice" and don't interfere with anyone except to stop & chat occasionally.... )

But getting back to the point of the topic......

I have been on KP the last few days, staying at my favorite resort in the NW corner of the island and really amazed that each night they were serving about 60 people during the evening meals.... from 5 to 9 pm....

Mostly late 20's to early 30's except for a few "old farts" like me....;):D

The staff saying that they were busy all day too, for lunch and after noon meals.... Then all closes down at 9 pm sharp! (10 pm in high season)....

I thought it strange, this is place probably has more people turn over, in one restaurant / bar at one resort, & has more people than most all restaurants in Maenam (I will use as an example ..... put together....? ).....

So, it shows that not everyone is looking for bars and busy areas (not that Maenam is busy .... except for the walking street on Thursdays!) to spend their holidays.... but have something quiet and pleasant and get away from the hustle & bustle of their busy lives and just chill out.......... and I'd say, these are not "hang overs" from the FMP either....

Most from France according to the manager .....a few Brits going by accents, and a few Russians thrown in....

This is a mid range resort, not some "back packer" place...they don't advertise heavily or even have a web page..... just one of those word of mouth places...... was always a favorite place for me before I made the move and retired here....

Personally I prefer Samui as a place for long term living, but most of KP is a great place for a holiday or short visits....B)

oh!...... and I heard more whispering about that small airport coming to KP ....some time.... sooner or later.... too.... shhhhhh!

agreed! speaking of word of mouth what is the name and location of this non adverised place. when i have a spare few days might pop over thoug my time is limited as i a busy. Most on Thai visa. Need to find time to seperate me from posting on here 24/7 and time to have a holiday and give everyone else a holdiday :D