Attidude On Samui

agreed! speaking of word of mouth what is the name and location of this non adverised place. when i have a spare few days might pop over thoug my time is limited as i a busy. Most on Thai visa. Need to find time to seperate me from posting on here 24/7 and time to have a holiday and give everyone else a holdiday :D

Well it might be listed in a few travel guides:

It is Island View Cabana, Maehaad Beach / Ko Ma ... they did a serious upgrade a couple of years ago..... prices range from 500 baht room with fan..... to 1200 baht (low season rates, I think) 1200 baht get you a fridge, Telly and AC (wifi)... they also have the most comfortable beds and pillows of anywhere I have stayed in Thailand.... all on the beach, the cheaper rooms behind the more expensive rooms ... but still on the fabulous beach...

Sadly the coral is in serious decline, just there too, it used to be pretty fantastic...

The restaurant / resort next door at Wang Sai, has good food too... I actually prefer the food there...

So give it a try and have a good "holdiday"....:D

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just came back from bkk spent 3 days there and 2 days in hua hin, different strokes for different folks, i like what samui has to offer much more than anyplace from hat yai to bkk, beaches, spa's, food, night life, airport, air, gardens, traffic (lack of)

I found that Samui was actually cheaper than those two places when I went. 180 baht for a beer in BKK? Insane.

Hi guy reading this i might have to cancel my trip for 6 months with all the bad things i have read here,was going to make samui my base then do bits and bobs,if its that bad why do people come and stay as it's very expensive all round?

But its quiet all over the world that the minute so the price's should come down for renting, bar's, beer/food? it' cost a lot of cash coming to stay here for 6 months and the least thing you want to hear is all this so really you will not be help the people of koh samui how that i have second thought's about coming with my wife and spending our time and cash here?

BUT THANKS FOR THE UP

I First came to Samui for a holiday ten years ago in my opinion a lovely tropical island, I was in my early thirties then and I thought the people and places hotels restaraunts were charming excellent service in fact thats why I kept coming back every year.

I made passing friends with local thai/foreign business owners and watched as they prospered from people like me hiring scooters buying food using hotels and having laundry washed.

I have contributed to the changes that have occured here. The Thai guy and his wife that I used for all of these previously mentioned services, came initially to provide a better life for there poor Northern family.

They now own three brand new cars a large number of various shops and this has all been achieved in ten years, relatively speaking there more successful materialistically than me and they literally arrived here a decade ago barefooted and owning the only clothes they stood in. A real rags to riches story.

However they have now mentioned that they are now planning on selling up and leaving simply because the market in Samui is saturated in similar ventures to which they operate in.

Even they and there neighbours are astounded/overwhelmed by the speed of "progress" (I'm not sure that's the best word) that has exploded on Samui.

Samui has changed its inevitable I just wonder/fear what its evolving into.

I First came to Samui for a holiday ten years ago in my opinion a lovely tropical island, I was in my early thirties then and I thought the people and places hotels restaraunts were charming excellent service in fact thats why I kept coming back every year.

I made passing friends with local thai/foreign business owners and watched as they prospered from people like me hiring scooters buying food using hotels and having laundry washed.

I have contributed to the changes that have occured here. The Thai guy and his wife that I used for all of these previously mentioned services, came initially to provide a better life for there poor Northern family.

They now own three brand new cars a large number of various shops and this has all been achieved in ten years, relatively speaking there more successful materialistically than me and they literally arrived here a decade ago barefooted and owning the only clothes they stood in. A real rags to riches story.

However they have now mentioned that they are now planning on selling up and leaving simply because the market in Samui is saturated in similar ventures to which they operate in.

Even they and there neighbours are astounded/overwhelmed by the speed of "progress" (I'm not sure that's the best word) that has exploded on Samui.

it would be interesting to look at samui's predictions from this site from about 5 years ago. see who was on the ball ?

so the price's should come down

That's not the way it works in Thailand!

i am seeing some really cheap housing right now in resorts, 9,500 a month for a serviced unit including wifi all utilities, pool and daily maid service.

Could you PM me resort name please?

i am seeing some really cheap housing right now in resorts, 9,500 a month for a serviced unit including wifi all utilities, pool and daily maid service.

Please PM me too....that sounds a fantastic deal!!!

Hi guy reading this i might have to cancel my trip for 6 months with all the bad things i have read here,was going to make samui my base then do bits and bobs,if its that bad why do people come and stay as it's very expensive all round?

Bad plan anyway, Samui as a base means limited and sometimes expensive options for getting off your base to do your "bits and bobs".

I'd point you towards Krabi, international airport and more direct ground options for travel.

Bad plan anyway, Samui as a base means limited and sometimes expensive options for getting off your base to do your "bits and bobs".

I'd point you towards Krabi, international airport and more direct ground options for travel.

This is good advice baring in mind Bangkok Airways prices for Samui.

This is good advice baring in mind Bangkok Airways prices for Samui.

Nonsense. Samui is the perfect base if you want to travel to Koh Phangan for the FMP. cool.gif

Edit: I forgot to add...why would you want to go anywhere else? blink.gif

Edited by smokie36

That's interesting and triggers a whole new line of thought.

As far as I am aware 99.9% of the comments here are posted by farangs. I would dearly like to be able to read regular contributions from Thai posters. Meaning that I often wonder what the Thai people themselves are thinking about Samui.

I'm constantly reading posts by farangs moaning about how bad it is here and that they're thinking of moving off - some are even doing it. But what about the Thais?

It's made me realise that my attitude is partly pre-conceived - I've fallen into the trap of assuming that the Thais here will blindly keep grasping for more with no awareness of a bigger picture or of global factors: keep on building more and more and upping the prices to compensate for their declining incomes . . .

But if the Thai people here are beginning to pull up their tent pegs . . . if the Thai community is becoming aware that Samui's been milked for all its currently worth . . . then it's probably a better crystal ball than any amount of flailing TAT toytown statistics and the 'whinge factor' that seems to dominate this forum.

Naturally I'm not referring to the Samui Folks; this is their island. But there re thousands of others who have come here cos it was seen as the land of milk and honey. Maybe the bees have flown the coop, the cow's gone sour and the rats are scouting round for a ship that's still afloat . . .

:o

R

Edited by robsamui

That's interesting and triggers a whole new line of thought.

As far as I am aware 99.9% of the comments here are posted by farangs. I would dearly like to be able to read regular contributions from Thai posters. Meaning that I often wonder what the Thai people themselves are thinking about Samui.

I'm constantly reading posts by farangs moaning about how bad it is here and that they're thinking of moving off - some are even doing it. But what about the Thais?

It's made me realise that my attitude is partly pre-conceived - I've fallen into the trap of assuming that the Thais here will blindly keep grasping for more with no awareness of a bigger picture or of global factors: keep on building more and more and upping the prices to compensate for their declining incomes . . .

But if the Thai people here are beginning to pull up their tent pegs . . . if the Thai community is becoming aware that Samui's been milked for all its currently worth . . . then it's probably a better crystal ball than any amount of flailing TAT toytown statistics and the 'whinge factor' that seems to dominate this forum.

Naturally I'm not referring to the Samui Folks; this is their island. But there re thousands of others who have come here cos it was seen as the land of milk and honey. Maybe the bees have flown the coop, the cow's gone sour and the rats are scouting round for a ship that's still afloat . . .

:o

R

Thai Community - based on what my thai wife tells and she's been here on samui 15 years already, The community really breaks down into this

People who moved here to work here are mostly people from the north and north east region of thailand

Burmese who are here for work

Foreigners - working here legally or illegal

Some original local thai's left but not many from what I understand one of 3 things happened with them

a. They sold their land

b. They built a business on their land

c. They leased out there land

As for hotels, Most of the hotel either are locally owned, under a management agreement with a hotel. OR some sort of partnership. Just to give you 4 examples

The sea - bangrak is now under a management contract with the centara group

Baan Taling Ngam - Nathon will now be under a management contract with the intercontinental group

Villa Lawana - Chaweng = changed to a management contract to be the anantara lawana

Samui Buri - Maenum - changed to a management contract and is now the mercure samui buri

basically all this means is the properties before may not have been doing so good and wound up needing help. Sorry I went off topic. Anyway just wanted to say it would be hard to gauge the thai community here as most people just came to samui looking for work. As for thai's grasping for more in terms of money, to be honest it depends on the thai individual. I've meet quite a few thai people here who are realistic on the situations here but these are the people who've had experience working abroad and education abroad as well. Most of the complains I hear though are

a. How much extra money under the table do I have to pay to get something approved or done.

b. Don't really like the sky high fares of bangkok airways either

c. Living their life.

d. being careful On samui who not to mess with or be careful who your doing business with as you don't know if your going to get your money stolen or get killed for no reason

hope this helps, feel free to post back if there something you think i'm wrong on

ps last thing the reason here's why I think not many thai's are on here: is either due to

a. lack of language barrier

b. have no free spare time

c. To busy on sites like sanook.com

d. Have no opinion

e. can't afford internet or buy a computer

f. no interested in joining the discussion

Interesting discussion.

If indeed most of the Thais here have come for work (and I would support that thought), then they came searching for better pay etc. I would guess that if somewhere else offers better pay, then they will just as easily move there. And it doesn't have to be a lot better when staying here might have uncertainties for them. In which case Thai businesses may well close and move on, and foreign owned businesses may well have difficulty finding staff!

I know many who have left the island - Thai and foreign - for better opportunities or better standard of living for their wages. It would be interesting to hear from the Thais perspective; maybe I have met too many opportunists as opposed to astute businessmen, so am not sure what they make of it!:lol:

Could you PM me resort name please to, sound a good deal tho we we going to look for a bungalow with a little kitchen

Interesting discussion.

If indeed most of the Thais here have come for work (and I would support that thought), then they came searching for better pay etc. I would guess that if somewhere else offers better pay, then they will just as easily move there. And it doesn't have to be a lot better when staying here might have uncertainties for them. In which case Thai businesses may well close and move on, and foreign owned businesses may well have difficulty finding staff!

I know many who have left the island - Thai and foreign - for better opportunities or better standard of living for their wages. It would be interesting to hear from the Thais perspective; maybe I have met too many opportunists as opposed to astute businessmen, so am not sure what they make of it!:lol:

I think in the case of the Thai couple I've known for 10 years with (no formal education or skills other than manual based factory work in Bangkok which they did briefly after leaving the farm in the North) Samui was a case of right place and right time.

Like I say they were really poor, however they have now got the taste for money and the keeping up with Joneses mentality (hence the cars etc.) but they readily admit that they could quite easily leave Samui and return back to the farm and never have to work again.

The alternative like many of the other Thai people who arrived a bit late on Samui, and I have spoken to intend to go to Phuket or Pattaya or even further Singapore or Malaysia there quite happy to follow the rumours of the next Gold Rush which they hear from there friends who all seem to be downing Samui.

I think uncertainties are all part and parcel of Thai culture they seem to take birth death and all other aspects of what I what consider life changing events in there stride it has however been interesting progressively watching two poor farmers gain all the hassles that money can cultivate for example the

The 1st year I met them the priority dilema they faced was either a corrugated roof for their roadside shack or a tarpulin sheet.

The tenth year, this year 2011 the dilemas been Leather or cloth sear for their New Fortuner 4x4

well all the flights are book so i guess i will be landing on in September 21st so just need a ok place to stay then off the koh tao for my diving which we have never done before so me and the wife are looking forward to that.I have to say the price's in Thailand for dive gear is way more expensive than the UK which has shocked me,so will be buying them here and then off to bali for 2 weeks in December and flight from phuket so we will be visiting there to.so looking for ward to it now after my op just to chill. Oh bliss

Interesting discussion.

I think in the case of the Thai couple I've known for 10 years with (no formal education or skills other than manual based factory work in Bangkok which they did briefly after leaving the farm in the North) Samui was a case of right place and right time.

Like I say they were really poor, however they have now got the taste for money and the keeping up with Joneses mentality (hence the cars etc.) but they readily admit that they could quite easily leave Samui and return back to the farm and never have to work again.

The alternative like many of the other Thai people who arrived a bit late on Samui, and I have spoken to intend to go to Phuket or Pattaya or even further Singapore or Malaysia there quite happy to follow the rumours of the next Gold Rush which they hear from there friends who all seem to be downing Samui.

I think uncertainties are all part and parcel of Thai culture they seem to take birth death and all other aspects of what I what consider life changing events in there stride it has however been interesting progressively watching two poor farmers gain all the hassles that money can cultivate for example the

The 1st year I met them the priority dilema they faced was either a corrugated roof for their roadside shack or a tarpulin sheet.

The tenth year, this year 2011 the dilemas been Leather or cloth sear for their New Fortuner 4x4

well truth be known 8 years plus this was a tropical island now it is a tropical island city. it lacks infastructure that a citry needs due to its rapide grouth.

It has grown due to demand. Allot of people that i know who live in bangkok just cannot be bothered to come here for holidays in thailand because bangkok airways puts them straight off. lets face it Bangkok is the startig gporund for travel in thailand and u can go almost anywhere else for a fraction fo the the price.

there again funnily enough. i don't kknow weather people that come here cannot afford to leave or people do across the world look at samui as a business island.

beleieve me therre are allot of people at this moment sitting in some shitty office somewhere who would happily change places with most of us.

question is would be like to change places with them.

me personally no.

Boy, Samui has changed. Last time I went there must have been 2007. First time was 1999, I think, and I've been there many times in between 99-07. Oddly enough, I found Nathon to still be the same old as it used to be. I used to stay in Maenam and enjoyed my stays there quite a lot. I remember every time I visited there had been rather drastic changes to the time before. In 2007, I could no longer stand it - Chaweng in particular. I understand that people want a better life for themselves and the old, lovable, rustic ways have to make place for the new, but the initial appeal Samui used to have for me has gone.

2007 was my last visit and I doubt I'll ever visit again. There are simply too many other beautiful places in Thailand and the wider region that it's just not worth it anymore.

Boy, Samui has changed. Last time I went there must have been 2007. First time was 1999, I think, and I've been there many times in between 99-07. Oddly enough, I found Nathon to still be the same old as it used to be. I used to stay in Maenam and enjoyed my stays there quite a lot. I remember every time I visited there had been rather drastic changes to the time before. In 2007, I could no longer stand it - Chaweng in particular. I understand that people want a better life for themselves and the old, lovable, rustic ways have to make place for the new, but the initial appeal Samui used to have for me has gone.

2007 was my last visit and I doubt I'll ever visit again. There are simply too many other beautiful places in Thailand and the wider region that it's just not worth it anymore.

each to their own.

I think that the old back backers would not like these changes but these changes have been to kick out back packers.

thanks back backers. U cam here u founded the place now good bye :D

@BigC:

I dont think that these changes were made to kick out backpackers per se it's just development. As a consequence of overdevelopment (which happens whenever lots of money comes in very quickly), it loses its appeal to that group. Look, I am by no means a backpacker any longer and like a bit of luxury myself while travelling nowadays. I can see why someone who lives on Samui permanently would welcome these changes. Personally, I could never live on any island (emphasis on live!!) and get bored after 3-4 weeks. Islands are really just for holidays for me and I prefer the big cities. More exciting, but, hey, each to their own.

for sure the island appeal is not for all,but there are those that specifically live on an island for its life style,and for those its very hard to leave................running out of money is usually the only reason or poor health.

Sometimes island life can be frustrating and every few months there's a great need to get off and go to the mainland.One of the most frustrating things is the cost of getting off and the time it takes(if going by bus or train) but there's a special feeling coming back and seeing the island once again.

Each person I believe as there own personal experience about samui. Samui isn't the worst place in the world to live and while samui is in need of more positive changes I'm probably one of a few people who say I'm still here and will probably still be on samui. Koh samui has been my home since 2004. I've seen lots of changes like everyone else who has been here that long or longer.

@BigC:

I dont think that these changes were made to kick out backpackers per se it's just development. As a consequence of overdevelopment (which happens whenever lots of money comes in very quickly), it loses its appeal to that group. Look, I am by no means a backpacker any longer and like a bit of luxury myself while travelling nowadays. I can see why someone who lives on Samui permanently would welcome these changes. Personally, I could never live on any island (emphasis on live!!) and get bored after 3-4 weeks. Islands are really just for holidays for me and I prefer the big cities. More exciting, but, hey, each to their own.

I believe that there is a policy on Samui to replace the 'low end' tourists with 'high end' tourists. I seem to remember as few articles along these lines quite a while back.

Since then we have a rash of 'high end' resorts having been built or being built. We also had the higher than normal Bandit Airways increases. We have the 'minimum charge' taxis. We have hotels posting inflated fix-price taxi fares to local villages and sites - thus promoting the taxi rip-off.

I stayed in one hotel last year and saw a sign in reception "If you leave the resort grounds - we cannot guarantee your safety".

To me all of these things point to a definite 'we want rich people only' policy. :(

We should make everyone welcome to Samui and make the island affordable for all. (We can put up walls so that the rich ones can think that they are alone!)

AND I fully agree with beachcomber and BigC. The island can be frustrating at times, but I would rather be here on a bad day than back in the UK on a good one!

Mind you - every day here is great!