Utorrent Ports Not Forwarding

marquess

HI all just upgraded to the 9MB package with True and got a new Modem, which for some reason seems to be interfering with my Utorrent (version 1.8.3) I am getting the Red circle saying that the 'router or firewall is limiting network traffic open up a port so that others can connect to you.' Anyone have any ideas. I am running Window XP S2 with updates. Thanks Iam posting this topic again for a second time as I have just had to change to the above modem as the old one had to be replaced by True.

I didn't notice it was an NLINK modem, sorry. Is there a reason True swapped the ZyXEL WiFi for this one? There doesn't seem to be any official documentation for this particular device except this page on the True website. Unfortunately, there's no information on port forwarding or UPnP.

Edited by Supernova

After some digging around, I managed to come across port forwarding instructions for the NLINK. Although the guide was in Thai and not intended for uTorrent, the steps involved are the same. So here it is...

Manual Port Forwarding Guide for NLINK modem

STEP 1

Open your favorite browser and type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar.

Username: admin

Password: password

vp601.jpg

STEP 2

Click Advance and then Virtual Server.

Under Service Settings, click Add.

8ap02.jpg

STEP 3

Under Service Type, select Custom Services and give it a name (we'll call it uTorrent).

Protocol: TCP/UDP

*** For "WAN Port" and "Server Host Port", select a port between 49152 and 65535. If you choose 54321 for example, enter 54321 in BOTH fields. This will be the port used for incoming connections.

In the Server IP Address field, enter your computer's IP. If you don't know what it is, just enter 192.168.1.234 for now. You can always change it later...

Click OK.

bi503.jpg

STEP 4

You should be back at the Service Settings window.

Click Commit/Reboot.

zy504.jpg

Wait for the device to reboot, then exit the browser.

Follow these instructions to manually assign a static ip address for your computer. Keep in mind, your computer's ip and the Server IP Address entered in STEP 3 must be the same for port forwarding to work.

Once you've completed all of the procedures above, make the following changes in uTorrent > Preferences > Connection.

Port used for incoming connections: See STEP 3

UNCHECK these items:

[] Enable UPnP port mapping

[] Enable NAT-PMP port mapping

[] Randomize port each start

You're done!

Edited by Supernova

Download and run Simple Port Forwarding The free version works OK.

If your specific router model is not listed go for the nearest model, it worked for me.

Upgrade to uTorrent 2.0.4 works better. Just install over the old version, you won't loose any of your data.

Enjoy :)

Only one problem. If using The Box. 2.0.4 can get you banned.

uTorrent

WARNING! uTorrent 2.0.1, 2.0.2 , 2.0.3 , 2.0.4, 2.1.0.0 and 2.2.0.0 are not approved and you will use it at your own risk, including if you get disabled for cheating in any way when you were not or loss of ratio. The Site is not responsible for how uT 2.0.* versions behaves.

After some digging around, I managed to come across port forwarding instructions for the NLINK. Although the guide was in Thai and not intended for uTorrent, the steps involved are the same. So here it is...

Manual Port Forwarding Guide for NLINK modem

STEP 1

Open your favorite browser and type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar.

Username: admin

Password: password

vp601.jpg

STEP 2

Click Advance and then Virtual Server.

Under Service Settings, click Add.

8ap02.jpg

STEP 3

Under Service Type, select Custom Services and give it a name (we'll call it uTorrent).

Protocol: TCP/UDP

*** For "WAN Port" and "Server Host Port", select a port between 49152 and 65535. If you choose 54321 for example, enter 54321 in BOTH fields. This will be the port used for incoming connections.

In the Server IP Address field, enter your computer's IP. If you don't know what it is, just enter 192.168.1.234 for now. You can always change it later...

Click OK.

bi503.jpg

STEP 4

You should be back at the Service Settings window.

Click Commit/Reboot.

zy504.jpg

Wait for the device to reboot, then exit the browser.

Follow these instructions to manually assign a static ip address for your computer. Keep in mind, your computer's ip and the Server IP Address entered in STEP 3 must be the same for port forwarding to work.

Once you've completed all of the procedures above, make the following changes in uTorrent > Preferences > Connection.

Port used for incoming connections: See STEP 3

UNCHECK these items:

[] Enable UPnP port mapping

[] Enable NAT-PMP port mapping

[] Randomize port each start

You're done!

Once again thanks for your help!

When using uTorrent Setup Guide, I get the following message:

"Port is not open (you are still able to download)."

Do I need to make some changes? (my download speed is OK, and I am also using N-Link router from TRUE)

Edited by Condo_bk

NLINK modem:

Advance > Firewall > IP/Port Filtering

You may need to change a setting or two in there...

Any idea what might need to be changed?

Default settings

Outgoing Action Deny Allow

Incoming Action Deny Allow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Filter Table:

Direction Protocol Src IP Src Port Dst IP Dst Port Rule Action Select

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rule Action Deny Allow

Direction: Outgoing Incoming Protocol: TCP UDP ICMP

Src IP Address: Src Subnet Mask: Src Port: -

Dst IP Address: Dst Subnet Mask: Dst Port: -

Thanks!

It should be something similar to this...

Direction: Incoming

Protocol: TCP and UDP

Src IP Address: Any

Src Subnet Mask: Any

Src Port: Any

Dst IP Address: 192.168.1.x

Dst Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Dst Port: <your uTorrent port>

NLINK modem:

Advance > Firewall > IP/Port Filtering

You may need to change a setting or two in there...

Direction: Outgoing Incoming Protocol: TCP UDP ICMP

Src IP Address: Src Subnet Mask: Src Port: -

Dst IP Address: Dst Subnet Mask: Dst Port: -

Current Filter Table:

Direction Protocol Src IP Src Port Dst IP Dst Port Rule Action Select

Incoming TCP 192.168.1.x/32 61882 192.168.1.x/32 61882 Allow

The only thing that I don't have you specified is the Protocol function dual option, I could only set it to one or the other, TCP. This Router is a nightmare sometimes it takes more than 15 mins just to log into it.

I take it you meant Rule Action, not content filter table...

The only thing that I don't have you specified is the Protocol function dual option, I could only set it to one or the other, TCP.

You need two separate rules: one for TCP, and one for UDP.

BTW, the destination IP Address should be the static IP assigned to your computer.

Some screenshots showing the configuration options would be helpful.

Attach with your post

or upload to an image hosting site.

Sadly I have not been able to access the router keep getting invalid user name despite typing in admin, this router seems much harder to use than the previous one. By the way how does one do screen shots?

If your specific router model is not listed go for the nearest model, it worked for me.

Upgrade to uTorrent 2.0.4 works better. Just install over the old version, you won't loose any of your data.

uTorrent

WARNING! uTorrent 2.0.1, 2.0.2 , 2.0.3 , 2.0.4, 2.1.0.0 and 2.2.0.0 are not approved and you will use it at your own risk, including if you get disabled for cheating in any way when you were not or loss of ratio. The Site is not responsible for how uT 2.0.* versions behaves.

Yes I know, I had some problems with the version they recommend (1.8 I think). I read somewhere that V2.0.4 Build 21586 was stable so tried that. Have been using it for many months and have had no problems with TheBox. I am seeding back and building up my ratio and I think that is their main concern.

On the 2.0.0 version there is a setup guide under tools that tests your bandwidth and network connections and checks if your port is forwarded, which is useful to check your setup.

To mention another point, if you get the message something about "you can still download" it means you are not "connectable" and your port is not open (other downloaders can't "see" you)and you are not seeding anything back. This is acceptable by some sites like eztv.it but you won't last long on sites like TheBox.

:)

uTorrent

Yes I know, I had some problems with the version they recommend (1.8 I think). I read somewhere that V2.0.4 Build 21586 was stable so tried that. Have been using it for many months and have had no problems with TheBox. I am seeding back and building up my ratio and I think that is their main concern.

Being chicken I use 1.8.3 which works very well. I do not want to push my luck as I rely on The Box so much.

In uTorrent can you go to Options, Setup Guide and post a screenshot?

And, what is the exact model number of the router, look on the back or bottom of the unit.

Lastly, did uTorrent ever work satisfactorily for you? You earlier "port forwarding" thread this month, with Zyxel, seemed to indicate remaining issues?

Difficult to give advice there are so many variables.

Can the OP actually connect to the Internet? Open web pages? If not then that is the place to start no point getting involved with Port Forwarding if there is not even an Internet connection.

If there is an Internet connection and the problem is with Torrenting some good advice has already been given.

Something that is sometimes overlooked is the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" setting. This is found under Connections - Properties - Properties. The default is "Obtain IP address automatically" this is no good for port forwarding you have to set an IP address.

To get the these numbers click - Start (bottom left of your screen) - Run - CMD - at the prompt type - ipconfig /all - (note the space between g and /)

On that screen are the current IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and Server numbers that you need for TCP/IP.

Details for all this can be obtained from - Port Forwarding

Once you have those TCP/IP numbers set up then use the free version of - Simple Port Forwarding program as mentioned previously.

Another point worth mentioning, after you have set your port number, in uTorrent under connections UNcheck "Randomize port at each start" or you will loose your port at next start up.

Hope some of this helps - Oh! and be sure to click apply, OK or save each time or you will not save the new settings.

Good luck.

:)

Here are some screen shots I finally managed to get into the router again.

Screen #2 - IP/Port Filtering

I see you've set Incoming Action to "Allow". While this will permit incoming connections, it also leaves your system exposed. Change it back to its default setting, "Deny".

You need to create a Firewall Rule (Rule Action) to allow incoming traffic on port 61882.

Screen #3 - Service Settings

The Server IP Address is wrong. 192.168.1.1 is the default gateway (router ip). You need to enter your computer's static ip in this field.

Edited by Supernova

Note: These snapshots won't be 100 percent identical to yours, since I don't have the same router you have and I'm also using Windows 7. However, the configuration procedures are the same.

1. Router NAT settings / port forwarding

841550118.png

In addition to creating a virtual server, you'll also need to create two Firewall Rules (one for TCP and UDP) to allow incoming traffic on your uTorrent port (61882). My router doesn't require this, but it appears that the NLINK does.

2. Assign your computer a static IP

188561124.png

The IP address you assign, must be the same as the one entered in the virtual server settings above.

3. uTorrent > Preferences > Connection

764646177.png

• 7 months later...

There is a bug in this router. If you try to define a dhcp static mac to ip address mapping (LAN->DHCP), it complains about the ip is not within the pool range. To fix this, change the pool size, reboot, and then add your mapping. The default settings for the pool are to start at 192.168.1.33 and then it allows 34 addresses from this address (why?). The code for checking the pool is wrong. Change the pool to start at 192.168.1.2 (.1 is assigned to the router/def gateway) and set the pool size to 250 (or 253 since I think .255 can't be used; heck 250 should be enough!).

Why do you want a static ip to address? So you pc running your torrent client always gets the same ip, and the port forward for torrenting will work. Its better to do it this way than define a static IP on your PC (I use Linux Mint 11; hate WIndoz), especially if you have a laptop and hop around wifi networks.

PS: This router is pretty good, despite its software shortcomings. It uses a fairly modern Realtek chipset and the signal strength on it is pretty good since they have an inline filter on the antenna. So the hardware is good, if you don't mind only having one UTP port... I did some testing against an oldish Level one 802.11b router I had and this one is miles better. I also set the channel to 13 since I live in a condo and there are 50 odd wifi nets here (plus ones outside the building); channel 13 used to be reserved so hardly anyone uses it and according to analysis using a wifi tool on Andriod, I have it all to myself! You may need to set your clients to use channel 13 (eg Andriod and some older Windoz drivers need to explicitly enable channel 13). Channel 14 was also reserved so if someone has nabbed channel 13 you can try 14.

I see True have disabled uPnP so they think they can stop us torrenting smile.png Well since we can port forward, its no big deal smile.png

Hope the info helps! Sharing is good.

Edited by MaiChai