Hobby Or Hobbies

Mirth

I've played golf, I've built and flown RC planes. Right now I'm building and Racing RC boats. Great fun. I've enjoyed walks in the mountains and reading. I've almost finished an MA.

No shortage of things to do. My dad said, only boring people get bored.

Your dad was right. Sometimes with age comes wisdom

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually i was just last night out for a fishing trip with some friends. We had great fun its like being in a bar (if you buy beer). Just chit chatting with some friends and fishing. You meet all kinds of people there. Nice Thais too that are helpful.

Its not the fishing people are used to in Europe or America, its much more its a day out in a more luxurious surrounding. Most fishing lakes in Bangkok are lakes you pay for because the locals have already fished everything else dry.

Because its a paid for lake you can usually hire rods, buy all your bait there (usually mandatory), and there is almost 100% a restaurant that will serve you all the food and drinks you need. Also your usually in a shelter of some sort so your not out in the full sun.

It can be a nice day out, i used to fish in Holland too but those were more natural surroundings. But beggars cant be choosers and the fish are much bigger here and much more fun.

Actually i was just last night out for a fishing trip with some friends. We had great fun its like being in a bar (if you buy beer). Just chit chatting with some friends and fishing. You meet all kinds of people there. Nice Thais too that are helpful.

Its not the fishing people are used to in Europe or America, its much more its a day out in a more luxurious surrounding. Most fishing lakes in Bangkok are lakes you pay for because the locals have already fished everything else dry.

Because its a paid for lake you can usually hire rods, buy all your bait there (usually mandatory), and there is almost 100% a restaurant that will serve you all the food and drinks you need. Also your usually in a shelter of some sort so your not out in the full sun.

It can be a nice day out, i used to fish in Holland too but those were more natural surroundings. But beggars cant be choosers and the fish are much bigger here and much more fun.

Robblok is correct, but sometimes you can catch the native species of Thailand in the wild. The popular Pla Buk (Mekong catfish) do quite well in private ponds and can easily be caught on bait, but if you "chum" the water with bread you can catch them on flies tied to look like bread. Pla buk grow huge. The common size is 5 to 20 kilograms, but some can reach weights in excess of 200 kilograms. The advantage of the pay for play lakes is you don't have to travel very far and an afternoon is all you really need.

Ian_with_catfish_3.sized.jpg

Buag_Fish_2.jpg

I enjoy creating my own lures that I can fish with a fly rod for native species like Jungle perch and Giant snakeheads that inhabit the big reservoirs.

snakehead_flies.sized.jpg

snakehead_fly.sized.jpg

I collect and paint vintage Ral Partha and Grenadier miniature figures, (Wizards, Warriors, Dragons and other monsters... you know the sort of thing). I also collect stamps: my main collections cover "Cinderella" stamps based on the Terry Pratchett Discworld series, UK Children's entertainment and literature stamps and presentation packs, Thai mini sheets and stamps depicting Pirates and Buccaneers. I also collect other Discworld artifacts. It keeps me out of trouble and is a dam_n sight cheaper than constantly drinking and chasing bar girls.

I like a spot of fishing too. But I thought these were called Plah Saway...? Giant Mekong Catfish right?

231338973.img.jpg231339016.img.jpg231338987.img.jpg

Loz what you are carrying are pla sawai.. they are the smaller pound for pound less strong cousins of the pla bug. We catch them too while we try for the pla bug. At first its hard to differentiate between the two but after a while you just recognize it from the size and shape of the tail and the color of the fins and position of the eyes.

I am confident Ian would love hanging out with myself and the local kite surfers...

post-98752-0-15635800-1308899540_thumb.j

And there's more where that came from...

I used to do a lot of kiting in Holland had some nice power kits when it was windforce 7-9 we would go out and have fun. I made jumps of up to 20 meters far. I must admit that was great but it was not in the water it was on the soft sand of the beach. We also skied on our shoes behind our kites. I did not bring them to Thailand because there is a lack of wind. (and water where i am)

I like a spot of fishing too. But I thought these were called Plah Saway...? Giant Mekong Catfish right?

Loz what you are carrying are pla sawai.. they are the smaller pound for pound less strong cousins of the pla bug. We catch them too while we try for the pla bug. At first its hard to differentiate between the two but after a while you just recognize it from the size and shape of the tail and the color of the fins and position of the eyes.

Cheers,

Sounds like I need a "gaydar" for fish! doh!

:huh:

Edited by Loz

I am confident Ian would love hanging out with myself and the local kite surfers...

post-98752-0-15635800-1308899540_thumb.j

And there's more where that came from...

I used to do a lot of kiting in Holland had some nice power kits when it was windforce 7-9 we would go out and have fun. I made jumps of up to 20 meters far. I must admit that was great but it was not in the water it was on the soft sand of the beach. We also skied on our shoes behind our kites. I did not bring them to Thailand because there is a lack of wind. (and water where i am)

"Char-a-Voile" is on the way...

post-61130-0-45028400-1308901638_thumb.j

I am going to import my own one from "Het Zoute" by the end of the European summer...

Hua Hin > Cha Am > Hua Hin will be my spot...B)

I collect and paint vintage Ral Partha and Grenadier miniature figures, (Wizards, Warriors, Dragons and other monsters... you know the sort of thing). I also collect stamps: my main collections cover "Cinderella" stamps based on the Terry Pratchett Discworld series, UK Children's entertainment and literature stamps and presentation packs, Thai mini sheets and stamps depicting Pirates and Buccaneers. I also collect other Discworld artifacts. It keeps me out of trouble and is a dam_n sight cheaper than constantly drinking and chasing bar girls.

Thailand is or was a great place for Collecting stamps. I have several stamp collecting friends in Canada and they were always asking me to bring some back from Thailand because of their beauty. They were like miniture art forms. As a child I used to collect the lead composite soldier figurines that I would paint. The pre-painted ones were more expensive, but I could get more with my allowance by buying the unpainted ones. That was over 60 years ago. I doubt if they even make stuff out of lead today.

I take work and take care of my kids. Exercise when I can. I would love to have the time for a hobbie.

Taking good care of children is the most important thing there is in the world. Everything else comes a distant second. Hobbies are for children or adults with spare time... and not many adults have spare time until they are retired... or single.

I have so much free time it's not even funny. My dream in life is to do something with my cartooning - I'd love to create a book or just work in character design, but I procrastinate far too much and it's frustrating. I'll watch DVDs, play my PS3 or sit online before I even pick up a pencil.

When I was younger I used to play tabletop battle games. It's something I'm looking to get back into - and I found a group in Bangkok just down the road from me, actually. I'll have to contact them. Would be nice to have something to go to after work, rather than just returning home, having a shower and plonking myself in front of the computer.

Ianforbes - Whilst I don't entirely agree with your way of life (paying for women) I entirely respect the way you are so open and honest about it. That, and your artwork is amazing. I myself am a bit of an artist, but on the cartooning side, as mentioned. I can draw a pretty decent picture if I try, but I've always found still life so hard to focus on, I just end up drawing something silly. But I have the utmost respect for your work - you really should try getting it 'out there' for people to buy! :jap:

Working 10 - 14 hours a day 7 days a week. But when I can I like to ride, go to movies. write. cook or tinker on my bikes :blink:

Jeff, take a break from the pole. It can dance without you. :lol:

Find time bermondburi. Am not saying what you're doing is wrong but imho, as a parent myself to 2 ages 4 and 2. Like you, it was only work and family when my 1st kid arrived. It was at the doorstep of a brothel on one of my overseas trip that i was thinking <deleted> was i doing there and realised my personal life was empty which led me to a brothel. So, i changed everything and now, i won't say am bored but just have loads of free time. Relationship at home now is even better than before and am making more now than before. What am trying to say is, when we are more balanced, our minds are able to work better resulting in more time, more money and better relationship at home.

I take work and take care of my kids. Exercise when I can. I would love to have the time for a hobbie.

IanForbes, Robblok and Loz, really do admire you guys. Went fishing with a couple of locals once. Don't know if it's the whiskey we brought or our lack of interest in fishing. Only knew we jump boat and took to netting the fishes in the end. That was my one and only fishing trip here in Thailand and the Mrs won't allow me on subsequent trips for fear of drowning whilst drunk! Have to admit though, the locals really know how to sanuk!

Taking good care of children is the most important thing there is in the world. Everything else comes a distant second. Hobbies are for children or adults with spare time... and not many adults have spare time until they are retired... or single.

thirteen years to go till they leave home. Eight till they don't want to hang around with me anymore or we can start playing pool and drinking beer !

loads of crap pirate DVDs available in LOS B)

G' idea?

Depends where you buy. I get four for 200 baht outside what was Carrefour in Bang Yai and they are all fine .

haha..........

I bought 'em online. Amazingly cheap!!! but need a week to get 'em delivered.

they don't allow us to discuss about this activity and plus the link.

Is watching movies considered a HOBBY? :blink:

Ian!!!

suggested drinking and whoring.
in the same set? <_<

To be fair, in my opinion anything you do over and over again with no criteria for success than your own satisfaction is just wanking. Metaphorically.

SC

Is watching movies considered a HOBBY? :blink:

Ian!!!

suggested drinking and whoring.
in the same set? <_<

To be fair, in my opinion anything you do over and over again with no criteria for success than your own satisfaction is just wanking. Metaphorically.

SC

That explains why this forum is so full of wanke_rs, then! :ph34r::whistling:

You're not far off, except because I have the same 3 regular women I get a much cheaper rate. I budget about 20,000 baht a month for them. They are happy and I am happy. And, I then have enough free time for all my hobbies. I wouldn't be able to do that if I was married with children. You can wine and dine one beautiful woman and get the sex for free, but in the end it is going to cost you more and you'll probably get less sex.

LIke I said, it all depends on what your interests are. Two can live cheaper than one on their own, but you then give up your freedom. At my stage in life, freedom is worth more than anything else. If I am working on an art project, or trying to finish an article, I don't want to be pressured into visiting relatives that I don't particularly like. If I want to go fishing I don't want to be told we are going shopping or to the beach. If I go to the ocean I want to go snorkeling or diving, and that doesn't usually occur close to beaches. If I go hiking I like it to be close to some stream where there is a better chance for photograhs of wildlife. My life works for me but it wouldn't work for everyone.

Good post Ian.

I'm more into the wining and dining part nowadays and that's definately not for free either and neither is sex guaranteed. :)

Anyway I can only wish I will have the same stamina as you when I'm at your age because you seem to keep yourself pretty busy.