Burger King In Surin

zzaa09

My fault for feeding the troll.:rolleyes:

Don't be hard on yourself, he is quite effective as a troll - nothing else, only a troll.

Naturally. Anything defined as challenging or critical or threatening must certainly be viewed as trollish.

Wouldn't want to come across unorthodox or counter the convention, would we?

Thanks. But I've read that book.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fault for feeding the troll.:rolleyes:

Don't be hard on yourself, he is quite effective as a troll - nothing else, only a troll.

Naturally. Anything defined as challenging or critical or threatening must certainly be viewed as trollish.

Wouldn't want to come across unorthodox or counter the convention, would we?

I've got it now, you're left handed.

Indeed.

Moreover these people who lament the "westernization" of Thailand and want Thailand to stay the way it is or even wish that it could go backwards, are understandable -- many of us, myself included, wish we could visit or maybe live in an exotic place with a traditional and "unspoiled" culture but ultimately selfish and paternalistic.

Selfish because by extension they would begrudge Thais modern conveniences that they aspire to. Paternalistic because by extension they have the idea that they know better than the Thais what's good for them and their country.

I miss the Thailand that I lived in 29 years ago -- though there are many changes that are improvements (eg skytrain, availability of western films/TV, general infrastructure etc) -- but I'd not wish for the Thais to not have had the astonishing development they experienced since then nor the enhanced quality of life it has brought for many of them. Neither would I wish that there was no further improvements...ask your average Thai if they'd want the things that we may wish had stayed in the west -- shopping centers and (more) cars and every kind of foreign food -- and see what they say. Ask them if they'd like the development to stop.

And explain to me how you can have only "good" development but leave the things we like untouched...

Well thought out and examined, Joe.

Kudos.

As imagined, I'm assuming that most consider the OP to be quite real and serious instead of the twisted intent [not a troll] of a reflective passing. A greater [even overwhelming] percentage of Farang cannot set up existence here in Thailand without the beloved and borrowed ideals from their respective Western homelands. The perceptions might vary here and there, but universally they fall into the hypnotic notions of non-conformity to their traditional Asian hosts. The expected comparatives and superlatives will always be attached, as these same majorities are least favoured to adopt anything that hasn't been predisposed already.

Bottom line. Farang, and their general character, are a plague on contemporary Thai culture. In time, it will come around in a negative fashion towards them and their ilk.

A minute handful of us, that have resided in Asia and Thailand for decades quite understand all the realities that shed themselves upon the other stereotypical perceptions. We don't participate or even find this neo-colonialism a bit disturbing, less to be mused upon. The same handful adapt quite comfortably with ease and become truly integrated into local society with the "pat-on-the-back" mentality. We shun the newly immigrated "brethren" of supposed like-minded foreigners, because we find this character to be as backward as the good Thais do.

The natural cycles will have their place in time. I'm just sitting back and having a view.

Don't blame the westernization of Thai food habits on Falangs. All the Main Franchisee's of McD's .Burger King, KFC and Pizza Hut are owned and managed by Thai Companies 100%

They brought them here.You can play Canute if you want but you'll end up with wet feet

Don't blame the westernization of Thai food habits on Falangs. All the Main Franchisee's of McD's .Burger King, KFC and Pizza Hut are owned and managed by Thai Companies 100%

They brought them here.You can play Canute if you want but you'll end up with wet feet

I don't blame the Farangs (as can be sen on my post(s) on this thread and another). And I'm aware of the ownership you speak of. However, this part of your post....

"They brought them here."

Guess who is the "father" of fast food in Thailand? A man who was told that it would never work in Thailand -- 'The Thais don't eat bread', ' The Thais have their own kind of fast food -- street vendors', 'The Thais can't afford it...'; A man who went ahead and opened the Pizza Hut and Mister Donut (and later Burger King and others).

Yes, he is a Thai...now. His name is William Heinecke. He became a Thai citizen about 20 years ago but - though he moved to Thailand in his early teens --he was born American.

Yes, Pizza Hut is 100% Thai -- he no longer has that franchise (when they changed his contract and said he had to have their permission to run other food businesses he went into a "war" with them that everyone said he would lose -- and he didn't). Burger King, Mister Donut, Pizza Co., Swensen's, Sizzler, Dairy Queen, are "100% Thai" too -- they all belong to his company.

The Thais eat fast food and that's their choice. To claim it's the Farangs' fault is to look down on the Thais (as so many erstwhile defenders of Thais unconsciously do) as unable to think for themselves or resist helplessly following 'the superior westerners'.They would have had fast food without Bill Heinecke. But the simple fact is that it WAS a Farang who introduced fast food here.

Edited by SteeleJoe

I don't blame the Farangs (as can be sen on my post(s) on this thread and another). And I'm aware of the ownership you speak of. However, this part of your post....

Guess who is the "father" of fast food in Thailand? A man who was told that it would never work in Thailand -- 'The Thais don't eat bread', ' The Thais have their own kind of fast food -- street vendors', 'The Thais can't afford it...'; A man who went ahead and opened the Pizza Hut and Mister Donut (and later Burger King and others).

Yes, he is a Thai...now. His name is William Heinecke. He became a Thai citizen about 20 years ago but - though he moved to Thailand in his early teens --he was born American.

Yes, Pizza Hut is 100% Thai -- he no longer has that franchise (when they changed his contract and said he had to have their permission to run other food businesses he went into a "war" with them that everyone said he would lose -- and he didn't). Burger King, Mister Donut, Pizza Co., Swensen's, Sizzler, Dairy Queen, are "100% Thai" too -- they all belong to his company.

The Thais eat fast food and that's their choice. To claim it's the Farangs' fault is to look down on the Thais (as so many erstwhile defenders of Thais unconsciously do) as unable to think for themselves or resist helplessly following 'the superior westerners'.They would have had fast food without Bill Heinecke. But the simple fact is that it WAS a Farang who introduced fast food here.

Thanks for sharing that information... I had no idea... maybe an issue we have is not telling the Thai people the truth about what's in these foods (if "foods" is the right word), I'm not sure but I don't think they ever had to worry about fat in their diet before "fast food" and now they need to be very much aware of this.

Good post, Joe. Bill originally started in business in Bangkok with an office cleaning company after he graduated from school. Cleaned offices in and around the Patpong area and then branched out from there.

A real farang success story with him.

There are 374,000,000 diabetics globally( that does include type 1 and type 2). The major cause of diabetes type 2 is associated with overweight or obese people. The "lead " country is America , on both counts. Australia is fast becoming number 2. Why? So, he might be a financial success, but health wise ,Could he be a disaster?, Could his companies be going to cost the Thai Health System heaps , in the near future? Is obesity becoming a problem in Thailand?, particularly Bangkok. If so ,Why?

Edited by afarang

There are 374,000,000 diabetics globally( that does include type 1 and type 2). The major cause of diabetes type 2 is associated with overweight or obese people. The "lead " country is America , on both counts. Australia is fast becoming number 2. Why? So, he might be a financial success, but health wise ,Could he be a disaster?, Could his companies be going to cost the Thai Health System heaps , in the near future? Is obesity becoming a problem in Thailand?, particularly Bangkok. If so ,Why?

Are you blaming Burger King for all 374,000,000 or simply a portion of them?

Good post, Joe. Bill originally started in business in Bangkok with an office cleaning company after he graduated from school. Cleaned offices in and around the Patpong area and then branched out from there.

A real farang success story with him.

Yeah, I know his story rather well -- and know him slightly (he remembered my name the last time I saw him, but just barely I think) -- but I refrained getting into it thinking it wasn't really the point. I have considerable amount of admiration (and some envy) for the way he made his way here. This is a guy who not only wound up megawealthy and obviously able to live here without the hassles that some of have but who has moved in the very highest of social circles here - which means that his connections go VERY high.

So, he might be a financial success, but health wise ,Could he be a disaster?, Could his companies be going to cost the Thai Health System heaps , in the near future? I

1) Heineke is hardly the sole provider of fast food in Thailand.

2) They would have had it without him.

3) The Thais buy it. Nobody forces them to.

May as well blame Ralph Lane, the first governor of Virginia, and Sir Francis Drake for the pressure on the NHS from smoking.

Not just Burger king ,ALL of the junk food outlets. Certainly only a portion of them ,but in "developed" countries( america ,the middle east,oz, etc. ) , a substantial portion, but only for type 2 , not type 1. Wherever you see, what might be termed an epidemic of obesity, you will find high high levels of Diabetes type 2.

TIs obesity becoming a problem in Thailand?, particularly Bangkok. If so ,Why?

Mankind is naturally self centred by nature, and therefore self destructive, get over it mate.

Why should I ? When their personal self-destructive behaviour has such an incredible adverse financial effect on the whole community.How much will the overweight and obese cost the american economy? Let alone the other obese nations Yes, I do understand that other behaviours are not beneficial to the greater society, but this is most probably , the most financially destructive of them all. Well and truly outranking smoking and alcohol.

not yet found in the northeast, though visiting Samui could not resist a Whoppy Sloppy triple bacon cheese, thinking whopper was like 1400 calories with 90 grams of juicy fat, no worries, continue to wash the crap out of my system with another 1500 calories of beer nutrition, 10 or 12 Changs later felt great

post-78747-0-16586400-1310186533_thumb.j