Burger King In Surin

zzaa09

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read these posts and can't help but to think that there must be a good business opportunity in Surin. (not for me, though. I don't like to wander too far from the noise and pollution of the city.)

Isn't there any decent establishment there that caters to the farang palate? If I was so daring, I'd be tempted to open a smallish place that makes a really good burger, some tasty fish and chips, plus maybe one or two other items -- not a lot of selection but really good versions of the most popular dishes.

Try Prakhonchai :)

I hear there is nothing to be found in Prakhonchai.:rolleyes:

I read these posts and can't help but to think that there must be a good business opportunity in Surin. (not for me, though. I don't like to wander too far from the noise and pollution of the city.)

Isn't there any decent establishment there that caters to the farang palate? If I was so daring, I'd be tempted to open a smallish place that makes a really good burger, some tasty fish and chips, plus maybe one or two other items -- not a lot of selection but really good versions of the most popular dishes.

Ah, but you hear wrong. There are 3 - one English ,one German and one Thai that serves some more European style food , as well as Thai.

Not for you Jeff.

Ah, but you hear wrong. There are 3 - one English ,one German and one Thai that serves some more European style food , as well as Thai.

Plus an Australian run bar - Together Bar (Formerly Ken's Tequila Steakhouse - Mk2)

Not for you Jeff.

Exactly, Ray. To each his own.

I would like three BigMacs or Two Whoppers with cheese in front of me now. Don't care if l die tomorrow, it's MY decision. All the do gooders complaining if we oldies live to long :rolleyes:. Live your life how you want and EXIT. :)

I would like three BigMacs or Two Whoppers with cheese in front of me now. Don't care if l die tomorrow, it's MY decision. All the do gooders complaining if we oldies live to long :rolleyes:. Live your life how you want and EXIT. :)

Would you like fries with that?

No, might perhaps manage another burger. :licklips:

Did you ask that question a lot during your working career? :D

...Vacuous, ill-informed, subjective and out of touch with reality generally. A victim of a cocooned existence who definitely needs to get out more.

The demand for Burger Kings will be driven, not by Farangs but, by Thais.

This is evidenced elsewhere in Thailand and even the OP cannot stem the Thai's passion for convenience/junk food. KFC/McD/Pizza Hut/Burger King was a food fad waiting to happen in Thailand.

Indeed.

Moreover these people who lament the "westernization" of Thailand and want Thailand to stay the way it is or even wish that it could go backwards, are understandable -- many of us, myself included, wish we could visit or maybe live in an exotic place with a traditional and "unspoiled" culture but ultimately selfish and paternalistic.

Selfish because by extension they would begrudge Thais modern conveniences that they aspire to. Paternalistic because by extension they have the idea that they know better than the Thais what's good for them and their country.

I miss the Thailand that I lived in 29 years ago -- though there are many changes that are improvements (eg skytrain, availability of western films/TV, general infrastructure etc) -- but I'd not wish for the Thais to not have had the astonishing development they experienced since then nor the enhanced quality of life it has brought for many of them. Neither would I wish that there was no further improvements...ask your average Thai if they'd want the things that we may wish had stayed in the west -- shopping centers and (more) cars and every kind of foreign food -- and see what they say. Ask them if they'd like the development to stop.

And explain to me how you can have only "good" development but leave the things we like untouched...

It would be great as they do veggie burgers too!

God forbid. :huh:

That should be the least of your wishes....as I don't believe your God is truly looking out for you.

One doesn't have to be too terribly observant to understand this.

It would be great as they do veggie burgers too!

God forbid. :huh:

That should be the least of your wishes....as I don't believe your God is truly looking out for you.

One doesn't have to be too terribly observant to understand this.

You are right, nobody or other thingy looks out for me. :)

Indeed.

Moreover these people who lament the "westernization" of Thailand and want Thailand to stay the way it is or even wish that it could go backwards, are understandable -- many of us, myself included, wish we could visit or maybe live in an exotic place with a traditional and "unspoiled" culture but ultimately selfish and paternalistic.

Selfish because by extension they would begrudge Thais modern conveniences that they aspire to. Paternalistic because by extension they have the idea that they know better than the Thais what's good for them and their country.

I miss the Thailand that I lived in 29 years ago -- though there are many changes that are improvements (eg skytrain, availability of western films/TV, general infrastructure etc) -- but I'd not wish for the Thais to not have had the astonishing development they experienced since then nor the enhanced quality of life it has brought for many of them. Neither would I wish that there was no further improvements...ask your average Thai if they'd want the things that we may wish had stayed in the west -- shopping centers and (more) cars and every kind of foreign food -- and see what they say. Ask them if they'd like the development to stop.

And explain to me how you can have only "good" development but leave the things we like untouched...

Well thought out and examined, Joe.

Kudos.

As imagined, I'm assuming that most consider the OP to be quite real and serious instead of the twisted intent [not a troll] of a reflective passing. A greater [even overwhelming] percentage of Farang cannot set up existence here in Thailand without the beloved and borrowed ideals from their respective Western homelands. The perceptions might vary here and there, but universally they fall into the hypnotic notions of non-conformity to their traditional Asian hosts. The expected comparatives and superlatives will always be attached, as these same majorities are least favoured to adopt anything that hasn't been predisposed already.

Bottom line. Farang, and their general character, are a plague on contemporary Thai culture. In time, it will come around in a negative fashion towards them and their ilk.

A minute handful of us, that have resided in Asia and Thailand for decades quite understand all the realities that shed themselves upon the other stereotypical perceptions. We don't participate or even find this neo-colonialism a bit disturbing, less to be mused upon. The same handful adapt quite comfortably with ease and become truly integrated into local society with the "pat-on-the-back" mentality. We shun the newly immigrated "brethren" of supposed like-minded foreigners, because we find this character to be as backward as the good Thais do.

The natural cycles will have their place in time. I'm just sitting back and having a view.

Indeed.

Kudos.

As imagined, I'm assuming that most consider the OP to be quite real and serious instead of the twisted intent [not a troll] of a reflective passing. A greater [even overwhelming] percentage of Farang cannot set up existence here in Thailand without the beloved and borrowed ideals from their respective Western homelands. The perceptions might vary here and there, but universally they fall into the hypnotic notions of non-conformity to their traditional Asian hosts. The expected comparatives and superlatives will always be attached, as these same majorities are least favoured to adopt anything that hasn't been predisposed already.

Bottom line. Farang, and their general character, are a plague on contemporary Thai culture. In time, it will come around in a negative fashion towards them and their ilk.

A minute handful of us, that have resided in Asia and Thailand for decades quite understand all the realities that shed themselves upon the other stereotypical perceptions. We don't participate or even find this neo-colonialism a bit disturbing, less to be mused upon. The same handful adapt quite comfortably with ease and become truly integrated into local society with the "pat-on-the-back" mentality. We shun the newly immigrated "brethren" of supposed like-minded foreigners, because we find this character to be as backward as the good Thais do.

The natural cycles will have their place in time. I'm just sitting back and having a view.

And yet, a disproportionate amount of your time is taken up commenting on this group of people.

Your 'reality' is no better or worse than the stereo-types that you are so critical of.

I doubt that your contribution to Thai society is any better/greater than most of the rest of us.

Indeed.

Kudos.

And yet, a disproportionate amount of your time is taken up commenting on this group of people.

Your 'reality' is no better or worse than the stereo-types that you are so critical of.

I doubt that your contribution to Thai society is any better/greater than most of the rest of us.

Sad, really. As your assumptions are edging towards the predictable.

...and some have always wondered why I avoid Farang circles and their character.;)

Because it calls into question the reason for you existence, state of mind or location?

I think you will find that most of us haven't given a <deleted> about why.

Some have noticed that there is an unhealthy obsession with Falangs, and a huge dollop of denial, that suggests a totally confused identity and an inability to socially interact with people on a normal level.

Nurse !

Edited by cardholder

...and some have always wondered why I avoid Farang circles and their character.;)

After reading your posts no one has to "wonder" why you avoid farang cicles as you are obvious not welcome with your ad hominem remarks.:D

This thread is becoming more entertaining with each post.....:cheesy:

I couldn't have directed it better myself - even if I did.:P

Suckers....heh heh B)

At least you understand what a forum is about, some fun. Suckers, nooooooo, not one postee above is a sucker, but if it made you happy then good stuff eh.:rolleyes: