Nationwide Ban On Alcohol This Weekend

george

Secondly, if they can afford Euro 10,000, they are obviously educated and intelligent enough to respect the law and understand the rationale behind it.

Thirdly, golfers here on a golfing holiday came here first and foremost to golf and not to drink. Furthermore, if they are golfers and drinkers, then you can be sure that they would have purchased their duty frees at the airport so once again no issue.

You are trying to associate this ban with tourism. Let me "educate" you, as a 20 year travel professional, that such bans, as and when and if enforced, have absolutely no significance whatsoever on tourism to Thailand.

I don't know 1) ANY golfers and B) ANY tourists who will relate to these comments - I have spent 30 years being both.

You are making yourself look a bit of an arse now.

Sorry, you have lost me with your super intellect. I don't understand your point.

On the other hand, my point is for simple minded people like myself. If my golfing friends and I decide to go for a golfing tour (and I am in the business of arranging such tours), whether alcohol sales are banned at certain time or for that matter, at all times, are secondary. We are going to play golf, and it's the quality of the golf courses that matters, not whether we can buy alcohol or not. But I guess that since we are of a certain, shall we say, social status, I guess I have not encountered golfers of your ilk, since you are unlikely to be able to afford the sort of packages that I arrange.

Console yourself that your willy is bigger than mine, even if your bank account isn't.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed dh' and then you have to question why TAT are using taxpayers money in a concerted new worldwide publicity exercise to fly hundreds of the travel industry/media into Thailand to help promote and launch 'high end ' tourists here.'Amazing Thailand Always Amazes You 'is to be the new TAT worldwide advertising slogan....at least they've got something right! (eglobaltravelmedia.com.au)

As a farang living in Thailand I accept the rules here. Isn't that what any guest should do? Don't like it? No one will stop you from leaving this fantastic and great country which I love.

So after living here for 10 years, building and operating a successful engineering consultancy business and paying taxes, it is unacceptable for me to cricise some of the loony aspects of the country? <deleted>.

The fact is that tourism IS being damaged by these ridulous alcohol bans which occur several times a year.

The bans only affect the bars run or frequented by farangs. The local minimart on my Soi actually took on extra staff to cope with demand last night.

Instead of "protecting" Thais from alcohol consumption, the authorities might consider forcing political parties state what their policies actually are.

LOS? LOFI more like....

I think we are getting a bit carried away in believing any measurable number of tourists refuse to come to Thailand because of alcohol not being sold on select days

The number of tourists continues to trend up and has significantly since 1997. If you look at the below chart you can see that tourism numbers continue to go up despite the downward bumps do to major incidents ... not 1 or 2 day bans on selling of alcohol.

tourismEnd2010.gif

http://www.thaiwebsi...com/tourism.asp

Monty gave a golf clinic in Hong Kong quite a few years back. One of the participants asked him how to impart back spin on the ball. Monty asked his handicap. Answer: 18. Answer from Monty? Learn how to hit the ball first.

Posters here who are not travel professionals may be able to give their own opinions but will never be able to give a truly qualified response.

I drive and can change a car tire - that doesn't make me a car mechanic.

As a farang living in Thailand I accept the rules here. Isn't that what any guest should do? Don't like it? No one will stop you from leaving this fantastic and great country which I love.

Bully for you !

No one is saying don't accept the rules - that is our obligation in this great country.

Doesn't mean that a free-thinking person can't question the validity/effectiveness of some rules.

I am sure the Thai government don't want all their 'guests' to be simple-minded, sycophantic automotons ........

...... or perhaps they do ?

Not their 'guests' just their voters.

Can we all get a little less personal?

Getting back to the topic, and the reactions posted here-

I have never understood why there is such an uproar among Thaivisa members when one of these short-term bans is announced; it seems a minor enough disruption to the day. I agree that it has little effect on anyone who is really determined to get a drink (right now I have some bottles of wine and single malts at home that could take care of that if I really, really thought I needed to drink- which I don't). Went out Friday night and that took care of my going-out spirit for the weekend... and if it didn't, there's always the other non-electoral days of the week. It doesn't need to be a weekend for people to want to party here.

Oh well, the weekend is nearly over so Im sure we have all managed to avoid the shakes, or as some folks say, drink at home.

I agree with the tourist element, if you look like a farrang there should be NO PROMPEM as we are forever told.

The Thai phrase of UPTO YOU.... seems to only be in action when it suits.

I have never understood why there is such an uproar among Thaivisa members when one of these short-term bans is announced; it seems a minor enough disruption to the day. I agree that it has little effect on anyone who is really determined to get a drink

Right, let's try this one last time.

For most of us on one side of this debating fence, it isn't about alcohol.

I smoke cigarettes, many years ago most of the major airlines introduced a no-smoking ban on their flights, it irked at the time but they gave very good reasons for it, it had a detrimental effect on the airflow system, and more importantly it was forcing other passengers to breathe your smoke. These were good reasons why and I saw no point in arguing about it.

For the people on the other side of the debating fence it appears to be all about alcohol.

It isn't, it's about freedom of choice. Especially the freedom of people who are not Thai and have zero effect anyway.

//edit/I'm going out for a beer now ;)

Edited by Thaddeus

Secondly, if they can afford Euro 10,000, they are obviously educated and intelligent enough to respect the law and understand the rationale behind it.

Thirdly, golfers here on a golfing holiday came here first and foremost to golf and not to drink. Furthermore, if they are golfers and drinkers, then you can be sure that they would have purchased their duty frees at the airport so once again no issue.

You are trying to associate this ban with tourism. Let me "educate" you, as a 20 year travel professional, that such bans, as and when and if enforced, have absolutely no significance whatsoever on tourism to Thailand.

I don't know 1) ANY golfers and B) ANY tourists who will relate to these comments - I have spent 30 years being both.

You are making yourself look a bit of an arse now.

Sorry, you have lost me with your super intellect. I don't understand your point.

On the other hand, my point is for simple minded people like myself. If my golfing friends and I decide to go for a golfing tour (and I am in the business of arranging such tours), whether alcohol sales are banned at certain time or for that matter, at all times, are secondary. We are going to play golf, and it's the quality of the golf courses that matters, not whether we can buy alcohol or not. But I guess that since we are of a certain, shall we say, social status, I guess I have not encountered golfers of your ilk, since you are unlikely to be able to afford the sort of packages that I arrange.

Console yourself that your willy is bigger than mine, even if your bank account isn't.

Hey guys this is not about how your red car goes faster than his blue car or my wife is more beautiful than yours.

Anyway, enough talk about forum members willies... this place seems like a youtube argument between children sometimes.

Can anyone actually tell me for certain when the ban finishes as there seems to be a bar or two round Nana selling alcohol.

Anyway, enough talk about forum members willies... this place seems like a youtube argument between children sometimes.

Can anyone actually tell me for certain when the ban finishes as there seems to be a bar or two round Nana selling alcohol.

rumour has it at 8 p.m so if you head off now you should be right

Not that I'm a raving Alcoholic but being Scottish it's always nice to have a proper drink in a bar when arriving.

The letter sent to every bar in Phuket by the police states 18.00 Saturday to midnight Sunday.

The letter helpfully points out that advance voting finishes at 15.00 Sunday.

I can tell you that in Kamala at 12.00 today ZERO restaurants were open for breakfast/brunch or what ever. All convenience stores and super markets are selling beer to go.

Logic? As I say LOFI

Next weekend I'm off to HK. Thailand is so boring now....

Will the last person to leave Phuket turn the lights off please

Here's a suggestion for all you well-liquored-up debaucherists: honor the local custom and give your tired and overworked livers a rest for this short period of time...

Finally, After 11 pages of whining, someone says something sensible. ^

It's their country folks.

They make the rules.

I've seen worse ones.

Edited by fiddlehead

I smoke cigarettes, many years ago most of the major airlines introduced a no-smoking ban on their flights, it irked at the time but they gave very good reasons for it, it had a detrimental effect on the airflow system, and more importantly it was forcing other passengers to breathe your smoke. These were good reasons why and I saw no point in arguing about it.

No; that one was about the airlines saving a lot of money, not only not having to clean the ashtrays any more, but about not having to deal with burnt seats and especially not having to change the filters in the airconditioners so often any more. I personally enjoy the smoke-free cabins, but they didn't change their policies for me or any other second-hand smokers. Had they expected to loose more customers than saving on the items mentioned, it would have needed a law to change their behaviours.

It's the same why all the hotels now suddenly are on ecology bandwagon. Unless you throw your towel on the floor or place that card on the bed, they won't change the towel or the bedsheet. While I agree that it's bad for the environment and absolutely unnecessary to wash the bedsheets and the towels every, the hotels save a lot of money and that is the reason they embrace the environmental policies. The previous policy of changing every day was to prove their clenliness; they are happy that times have changed and people care more about the environment, thus allowing them to save money.

- How's this for thread hijacking? :ph34r:

11 pages on this already!

12. I'm impressed too. You can see how important alcohol is for ThaiVisa members.

My liver is just fine. Young and healthy. I arrive in Thailand on tour once a year to DJ and this weekend I've had to drink in my hotel room with the rest of the guys. Oh well, it is Thailand. Love it or hate it, it's an amusing mystery of a country and I wouldn't let a weekend of empty go-go's put anyone off visiting...

I feel remarkably good this morning - I think I may participate in an alcohol ban EVERY Saturday ! :D

I've just woken up in my shop/bar full of empty bottles with Farangs and Thais littered over the tables. Good job Mrs Changers has gone to Surin for a few days, give me time to clear up or do we do the same again tonight?whistling.gif

What time should I be there??

With cash or mop and bucket??? Back to the real thread ....

The only people this is really hitting is the bar owners. Luckily Mrs Changers emporium is not Farang dependant.

Of course not, we believe you! BTW what is a mom and pop store? Sounds suspiciously like somewhere in the Appalachian Mountains with a couple of petrol pumps outside and a few strange looking locals sat on the wall outside playing banjos!

Does this include everyone's favorite Mom & Pop store? We all know how easy it is to get beer and the Thai liquor from these reliable and obliging outlets.

Went to Lotus earlier where I was refused beer So went next door to the Thai corner shop and was served immediately

Always been the same Thai shops do not keep to set hours for selling booze

No; that one was about the airlines saving a lot of money, not only not having to clean the ashtrays any more, but about not having to deal with burnt seats and especially not having to change the filters in the airconditioners so often any more. I personally enjoy the smoke-free cabins, but they didn't change their policies for me or any other second-hand smokers. Had they expected to loose more customers than saving on the items mentioned, it would have needed a law to change their behaviours.

It's the same why all the hotels now suddenly are on ecology bandwagon. Unless you throw your towel on the floor or place that card on the bed, they won't change the towel or the bedsheet. While I agree that it's bad for the environment and absolutely unnecessary to wash the bedsheets and the towels every, the hotels save a lot of money and that is the reason they embrace the environmental policies. The previous policy of changing every day was to prove their clenliness; they are happy that times have changed and people care more about the environment, thus allowing them to save money.

- How's this for thread hijacking? :ph34r:

Thank you, I agree with all of the above.

Now. please apply the same logic to the topic at hand.

11 pages on this already!

12. I'm impressed too. You can see how important alcohol is for ThaiVisa members.

My liver is just fine. Young and healthy. I arrive in Thailand on tour once a year to DJ and this weekend I've had to drink in my hotel room with the rest of the guys. Oh well, it is Thailand. Love it or hate it, it's an amusing mystery of a country and I wouldn't let a weekend of empty go-go's put anyone off visiting...

That's the spirit!

By the way, did we miss your show?