How Long Do You Go Without Eating?

IanForbes

I live an irregular life and seldom follow any set pattern. I'm a bit of a night owl and stay up until 2 or sometimes 3 every night. But, I still seem to wake up after about 5 hours sleep. Then, I can go for hours without ever eating anything unless I know for certain that I'm going to exercise. I normally only have two meals a day and supplement that with fruit. I'll often get up at 8 AM but do not eat anything before 2 or 3 in the afternoon. If I know I'm going on an all day hike then I'll have a solid breakfast in the morning, but most often I don't need to eat before noon. The only change in that is if I drink coffee. That seems to trigger an urge to eat something. And if I don't then I get hypoglycaemic. In Thailand all I seem to need is a good plate of Kow Padt gai (stir fried rice). That can hold me unti the evening.

I'm also pretty much a night owl. I stay up until the early hours most nights and regularly continue until late next morning. I've been known to completely skip a nights sleep which actually helps put me back on track by having an earlier night.

When I do sleep it's generally for a good 8-hours. Regarding my eating patterns it's very rare for me to eat in the mornings. It's mainly late afternoon. I generally only eat one meal a day but if I feel a little hungry I'll grab a couple of yoghurts.

Occasionally I'll have a bag of crisps or other snack while watching TV.

Unlike yourself I do little exercise. Hiking is not even in my vocabulary. I'm a little overweight but not excessively. I drink loads of coffee which for me, staves off the hunger pangs.

I can go about half a day at best. When I was heavily into weight lifting/body building I would feel faint after 2 hours of not eating. Thankfully I'm not that into it anymore.

Thats weird. I was fine before i started bodybuilding.. Then it was about 90mins before i felt dizzy.. even after quitting i couldnt go past 3 hours.. Now im back into hard lifting and i can last maybe 4hrs with no food. (1hr in the morning)

I also dont consider khao pat gai food.. it's just a snack that lasts me an hour.. no nutriments in there to keep my stomach busy.

Nowadays i just eat 3-4 small homemade thaifrench burgers on my cast iron in between meals and feel so much better/happy

Irregular eating may cause Diabetes, in older and over weight people.Even if you do not feel like eating in the morning its better to eat a little some thing.

Most importantly, it kills a lot of braincells.

At worst everyone should eat a Protein shake/Fruit shake/Yogurt shake right after waking up. I eat breakfasts but i always start with this and 1hour later i force myself to eat some crap untill its finally time to eat a good lunch

Edited by seriouseats

It`s called growing old.

The older we get, the less we eat.

I can remember back in my younger days, that what I could eat in one day is about the equivalent of what I now eat in 4 days.

The strange part is, that years ago I could never put on any substantial weight, yet now days, I am a 25% heavier but I am eating 4 times less food.

Emergency, emergency, is there a nutritionist in the house?

If you care about your body and health you should eat often and not so much every time. I get up about seven, take a quick walk with our dogs (they love it) and about every other day work out with my dumbells. After that a breakfast with oatmill porridge, home made bread, egg, ham and tea tastes very good. Then, after about four hours, lunch. (An ordinary thai lunch) A cup of coffee after that. Between lunch and dinner in the evening (at about 7.30 pm) I also eat a small sandwich or something similar. I am 1,75 m tall and weigh 65 kg.

Never skip breakfast.In the RAF you got put on a Charge if you did..Most important meal of the Day. Whats a Hike.?..:D

I agree. That is why I said I only eat a substantial breakfast if I am going to exercise. But, if I am working on the computer I don't need to eat.

A walk is something done on level ground and could be anything up to 10 or 12 kilometres or more. A hike is climbing hills. A serious hike is climbing anything over 500 meters in elevation.

Kow padt gai does have lots of good ingredients: chopped veggies, meat fat in the oils used, chicken for protein, an egg, and rice for a filler. And, rice DOES have good ingredients. It's been feeding Asians for thousands of years... and they are tough little buggers. Just ask the Americans or French who tried chasing them around the hills of Vietnam.

Never skip breakfast.In the RAF you got put on a Charge if you did..Most important meal of the Day. Whats a Hike.?..:D

And for those who aren't attached to a "Special Forces" detail?

I usually get up later now that I'm retired and will have 'brunch' to hold me over til I get on the suds around afternoon tea time.

The only hiking I do nowadays is hiking up my trousers after a trip to the dunny.

"I discovered a meal between breakfast and brunch." Homer Simpson

I usually get up later now that I'm retired and will have 'brunch' to hold me over til I get on the suds around afternoon tea time.

The only hiking I do nowadays is hiking up my trousers after a trip to the dunny.

"I discovered a meal between breakfast and brunch." Homer Simpson

Gidday Sport, at last a bit of Humour,these Poms are a serious lot.:partytime2:

Retired now I get up when I wake up usually just before noon have a cooked English breakfast and then it's time for my nap.

After my nap I have a cucumber sandwich then dose off again watching Thai TV adverts.

The evening meal could anything as long as it is La cuisinière cordon-bleu with good red Château de Beaucastel wine.

After that a few beer Changs, and then I don't remember anything until morning again.

Edited by Kwasaki

Retired now I get up when I wake up usually just before noon have a cooked English breakfast and then it's time for my nap.

After my nap I have a cucumber sandwich then dose off again watching Thai TV adverts.

The evening meal could anything as long as it is La cuisinière cordon-bleu with good red Château de Beaucastel wine.

After that a few beer Changs, and then I don't remember anything until morning again.

:huh:, sounds like we are related. :)

Recently I started eating one apple a day as soon as I wake up. It really does seem to help with digestion, a big boost of vitamin c, more energy and get less hungry during the daytime.

The old adage 'An apple a day keeps the doctor away' may just be true after all.