Work Permit And Employing Four Thais

Firfox

Dear friends

I wonder if anyone could clear this point up for me. I have been given two different forms of information in relastion to setting up a company in Thailand and what is required to apply for a work permit. See below.

(1) If I want to set up a limited company with my wife and six other Thai share holders is it a requirement that in order for the company to apply for a work permit for myself the company will need 2 million baht in assetts and will have to employ four Thais nationals?

(2) I am married to a Thai national and will have a non immigration o type visa based on marriage and will not need a visa based on business. Therefore, am I right in thinking the company will still need the 2 million baht in assetts but will not need to employ four Thai nationals in order to apply for a work permit for myself.

Any help with clearing this up will be most appreciated.

Kind regards

Andy

Setting up a limited company no longer requires 7 Thai nationals, it requires a minimum of 3 shareholders and the majority of the shares must be owned by at least one Thai in certain sectors unless you apply for a BOI or Amity treaty protection if you are an American. Sectors where you can own 100% of the shares, regardless of your nationality with no Thai shareholders, in most cases is manufacturing or exporting.

Registered capital of 2 million Baht and 4 Thai employees in order to obtain one work permit is generally the required norm although the Labor Department officer may allow 2 Thai employees in the first year of a start up company. Only one million Baht in registered capital in necessary if you are married to a Thai national.

Forming a company is not a easy task and has many pitfalls. Sunbelt Asia has been doing this for thousands of companies since 2001 and is consider one of the best in Thailand. We welcome you to contact us for a free consultation. 02-642-0213

[sunbelt][/sunbelt]