Thai Divorce

Noom Pu Tai

A Thai girl whom I've befriended is trying to divorce from her farang husband, but the guy won't divorce her. He says that she'll have to go to court with this, knowing fully well she hasn't got the money. They've been living apart more than one year. (The guy still lives in Thailand). What should she do? Surely the Thai law is going to favour her and not the foreign husband?

Any help welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Last I heard a man can divorce a woman for a single act of adultery but a woman can only sue for divorce if the man has supported another woman as if she were his wife. Simple adultery isn't enough for the woman to get a divorce. Sounds like she has no grounds at all, if he hasn't been cruel and he doesn't have a mia noi she may be stuck.

You can divorce in Thailand with or without consent.

Without consent there is a criteria to be met which I believe can include living apart for a minimum period of time.

A lawyer will best advise your friend on the minimum time as well as the procedure to follow which includes notices in the paper and a notice sent to the non filing parties address to attend a hearing at the family court at a specified time.

Edited by malcolminthemiddle

Thanks everyone!

Does Malcolm or anyone one else here knows a good lawyer? one who doesn't charge an arm and a leg. I realize many of them do, especially when hearing there is a farang involved. I would very much welcome more advice...

Cheers, and thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Please tell your friend go to "The Law Society of Thailand/ Lawyer concil" If she has no money but she should to have good reason to divorce her husband.

The Lawyer concil of Thailand can help any Thai peoples who has no money and have problems about laws&regulations.

Prepare an important documets and go to 7/89 Build.10 Rajdumneaun Rd. (Near Kowsarn rd.)Bangkok.