Thai Marrage Inquire

scotsman

hi I would like to know if anyone knows anything about thai law when it comes to marrying a thai lady & property. I would like to marry my longterm girlfreind but the property we have is in her name with me as the morgage lender. I have been told that if we get married I will have to sign a document saying that I did not give her the money to buy our house is that true? I know that if you marry you are not aloud to own property in your name if your wife dies but I just want the protection of getting my money back if I have to sell the house in the future if anything happens to my wife. please can anyone tell me anything about this.

You can own a building but not the land on which it stands. You can lease land. It's true that, if your wife buys land, you will be required to sign a document stating that the money is hers and you have no rights over the land.

Some people will give you advice on how to get around the law and own at least a share of some land. Ignore that advice because it's wrong. The only legitimate way in which a farang can own land is by owning a share of Thai company that owns the land. It must be a genuine trading company and it must invest about £400,000 in approved Thai investments for at least 5 years. If all that is complied with, the company can buy just 1 rai of land. Not worth it even if you can spare £400,000.

There are other tricks suggested that are temporary and, if done legitimately, would attract the attention of the tax authorities. Leasing from your wife is one of those but it gives you little real security while she is alive and none if she pops her sandals before you do.

Your wife can bequeath land to you but, as I understand it, you then have 1 year in which to sell it.

The golden rule when spending money is Thailand is, 'Don't spend more than you are prepared to lose'. That may not be as bad as it at first sounds. If your wife lived with you in your own country and either you died or the two of you divorced, then either she would be entilted in law to a slice of your estate or you would want her to have some of your wealth for moral reasons. Actually, you may be able to provide a legacy for her in Thailand that is both better and cheaper than you could in your own country. You may also be able to retain some assets in your own country should you ever need them. If you haven't got a nest egg back home, you may want to consider doing something about that before you commit yourself any further to Thailand. Once your wife dies or you are divorced your tenure in Thailand may be shortlived unless you rent a home.

Good luck - and take your time!

You can own a building but not the land on which it stands. You can lease land. It's true that, if your wife buys land, you will be required to sign a document stating that the money is hers and you have no rights over the land.

Some people will give you advice on how to get around the law and own at least a share of some land. Ignore that advice because it's wrong. The only legitimate way in which a farang can own land is by owning a share of Thai company that owns the land. It must be a genuine trading company and it must invest about £400,000 in approved Thai investments for at least 5 years. If all that is complied with, the company can buy just 1 rai of land. Not worth it even if you can spare £400,000.

There are other tricks suggested that are temporary and, if done legitimately, would attract the attention of the tax authorities. Leasing from your wife is one of those but it gives you little real security while she is alive and none if she pops her sandals before you do.

Your wife can bequeath land to you but, as I understand it, you then have 1 year in which to sell it.

The golden rule when spending money is Thailand is, 'Don't spend more than you are prepared to lose'. That may not be as bad as it at first sounds. If your wife lived with you in your own country and either you died or the two of you divorced, then either she would be entilted in law to a slice of your estate or you would want her to have some of your wealth for moral reasons. Actually, you may be able to provide a legacy for her in Thailand that is both better and cheaper than you could in your own country. You may also be able to retain some assets in your own country should you ever need them. If you haven't got a nest egg back home, you may want to consider doing something about that before you commit yourself any further to Thailand. Once your wife dies or you are divorced your tenure in Thailand may be shortlived unless you rent a home.

Thank you for your info I will give it a lot of thought. We have been together for over 6 years and the property was bought over 4 years ago with me as the morgage lender. If I have to give up my rights to our house on marrage then its not worth getting married. What about a pre nup with my girlfreind leaving me the money on the house. If you say that I have 1 year to sell it then I can also change it to company in that year. I think this is a big problem that will have to be looked into by a thai lawyer. I dont have anything in the uk anymore and its important to make sure that everthing is ok for me & my wife to be in the future. I thank you all for your help in this matter.

Thank you for your info I will give it a lot of thought. We have been together for over 6 years and the property was bought over 4 years ago with me as the morgage lender. If I have to give up my rights to our house on marrage then its not worth getting married. What about a pre nup with my girlfreind leaving me the money on the house. If you say that I have 1 year to sell it then I can also change it to company in that year. I think this is a big problem that will have to be looked into by a thai lawyer. I dont have anything in the uk anymore and its important to make sure that everthing is ok for me & my wife to be in the future. I thank you all for your help in this matter.

Well Scotsman personally I knew all about this land and house etc belonging to my wife etc and like you I have nothing in the UK anymore.

I have known my wife for 12 years, been married over 5 years and our son is nearly 15 months old,

I made the decision a long while ago that I love my wife and as far as I am concerned I willingly gave my wife the land and property that I paid for and I didn't think twice about it.

If our relationship came to an end tomorrow I would not begrudge my wife and son anything at all because she willingly shared my life with its ups and downs and didn't ask me to marry her and only spends what she neds to spend and has changed my life for the better.

I did not marry my wife just so that I could own land and property in Thailand because on the day I die I cant take it with me, and I want her and my son to have it all.

I married her for love and not for possessions.

If I have to start again without her I will survive but I wont be happy.

Land and possessions are just a means to an end, but a loving wife and family are riches beyond value.

If you have to choose between getting married and keeping what you have for yourself you have just answered your own question. Don't marry her but do explain to her that you value what you own more than her.

The only legitimate way in which a farang can own land is by owning a share of Thai company that owns the land. It must be a genuine trading company and it must invest about £400,000 in approved Thai investments for at least 5 years. If all that is complied with, the company can buy just 1 rai of land

So, by your understanding a Thai company can only buy 1 Rai of land?

I think you are getting your laws a little confused.

I believe (so verify - see below) that the Thai company can buy any land it needs as long as it is a Thai company. At present, I believe, there are no restrictions on it having to do other work (i.e. trade in something other than renting out the proerty to you), but is often rumoured to be 'in consideration'. The downside is having to appoint 7 Thai directors and do the proper paper work and pay company taxes etc. There are ways to do this proprly if its your ilk...

...I would ask Sun Belt Asia (sponsor here) - try posting in the Visa section.

Personally, I'm with Billd766 - all my Thai land is in my wife's name (30 Rai). The UK property we own is in joint names. When my kids are old enough, we will put the land in their names.

My Thai wife bought property before we were married and I paid for it, no issue. Once we were married (and she took my family name) I had to sign that I had no claim over subsequent property that she bought but was not required to revisit previous property purchases.

You cannot own the freehold (or rights to) land in Thailand, no matter if you are married to a Thai or not. Marriage should not affect your, or her, property owning rights.

Scotsman,

I have grown-up offspring to whom I want to leave something in the UK. That, as it happens, will include a rented-out house that will double as a bolt-hole for me should I need it. If you don't have and can't acquire property in the UK, then forget that part of what I said - but keep the price of a flight tucked away somewhere.

In marrying your partner you're not giving up any rights to land because you have none now. Any legal right to other property such as a house is tenuous in practice, whatever the law may say. You should forget about renups and the like. If you want to stay in Thailand until you pop your clogs you have to stay sweet with wife and wife's family. As a second string to that particular bow, consider the rental market in Thailand - either where you are now or a long way off - and be prepered to go that way if you cannot stay put.

I don't know what age you are but, in due corse, you might consider a retirement visa. Have a look at the requirements for that.

The bottom line is that you are a foreigner in a country that does not favour immigrants the way that our own dear government does. I can understand your dilemma and it's quite natural to be torn between providing for your partner and protecting your own future well-being. If you can accept that, in law, you are in a weak position but can make the most of what each day brings, then you'll be OK.

Wolf5270,

I was referring to residential land rather than commercial land. I don't know anything about the latter but have read about the former on several occasions. I'm amazed at how many farang continue to buy land all over LOS in the face of very clear laws. I think that they are led into it by smooth-talking property agents who convinve them that there is no risk because no-one has yet been caught.

i thank you for all your relpys but there is some replys that dont understand my question. I love my girlfreind very much and we are like best freinds and i also get on very well with her family. the question was that if my girfreind god forebid should die before me how can i hold on to my house. the other part of the question is that in order to marry i have been told that i have to sign a document giving up my protection to the house as morgage holder. you see when anything should happen to me my girfriend will have no worrys in the world as i have left a will in the uk that will give her half my works pension every month untill she dies and also the property and the car. the problem is what will happen to me if my girfreind should go before me. i think the only good answer is that i should change the property into a company name in the 1 year time limit that you said. i could also get my girlfreind to make out a will and leave the property to my neice who is half thai and half western and is 17 years old so she can have propery in her name. I know you may think this is selfish on my part but who is going to look after my future no one and there is a lot of people who have lost everthing. my girfreinds family are good people but it would very foolish to have your future in someone elses hands. it is only commonsense to take this action so i will go and talk with a thai lawyer to see how i can get round this problem. the rights i was taking about was that as a morgage holder no one can sell the propery without the other. i do hope this letter has helped others who might have the same problem. thank you all.

[i would not begrudge my wife and son anything at all because she willingly shared my life with its ups and downs and didn't ask me to marry her and only spends what she neds to spend and has changed my life for the better.

I did not marry my wife just so that I could own land and property in Thailand because on the day I die I cant take it with me, and I want her and my son to have it all.

I married her for love and not for possessions.

If I have to start again without her I will survive but I wont be happy.

Land and possessions are just a means to an end, but a loving wife and family are riches beyond value.

If you have to choose between getting married and keeping what you have for yourself you have just answered your own question. Don't marry her but do explain to her that you value what you own more than her.

Nicely said. I too love my wife, and I'm quite happy with how she has changed my life for much the better. Loving loyal and possessing such a good spirit I oft wonder how life has been so kind to me.

My lady has property from before our marriage, a few rai that others grow rice and beans that provide a small income we give the mother in law, a house given to her by a grandmother ( very small) a few rai by her moms house, and a few rai we may build on.When we return to Thailand to live in four years, we'll use the money she's earned here to build our home. We'll use her money to buy her a new car. I'll provide the money to start a small business, that we'll not count on to really make a living out of, but provide something for us to do other than vegetate. If we make some income outta it, mores the better. I'll provide our living expenses if needed.

In short my wife is more than able to take care of herself, I will feel no more compunture about living under a roof provided by her, in her name, in her country under its rules, than she does living here under reversed conditions. And 20 - 30 years down the road, what I have will become hers when I stub my toe on a bucket.

I mentioned my mother in law, a really nice lady who has adapted having a farang

son in law thats 5 years older than she is. Our relationship is fine, she has only needed help once and that and that was for her mom's funeral, and she didn't ask, we just sent her the money. It being Thailand she had it video'd and she sent us a dvd of the affair. I was happy to see granny get a good sendoff.

i thank you for all your relpys but there is some replys that dont understand my question. I love my girlfreind very much and we are like best freinds and i also get on very well with her family. the question was that if my girfreind god forebid should die before me how can i hold on to my house. the

if she gives you a long lease on the house, then that should continue to be operative even if she did die. Make sure a lawyer does it and addresses your problem

I did that for my hubbie, so he feels secure :o

i thank you for all your relpys but there is some replys that dont understand my question. I love my girlfreind very much and we are like best freinds and i also get on very well with her family. the question was that if my girfreind god forebid should die before me how can i hold on to my house.

Better to spend money currying favor with your in-laws than with a lawyer on this issue.

Bottom line is there is no guarantee you can hold onto the house. If you get on the outs with your in-laws they will always be able to find a way to ignore any legal documents you may have that, at most, will give you a long term lease. And a long term lease does not always prevent an owner from selling and you will never be that owner. You can feel a little better by hiring a lawyer, but that would only provide symptomatic relief and would not deal with the underlying dilemma.

Look people, underneath all these legal niceties, and despite the East Asian influence in the cities, Thailand is a matrilocal society. This means that when a man marries a woman he traditionally moves into her family's house and any new land acquired will be inherited by her family. That is why, when you travel into the traditional Thai village areas, you still see clusters of sisters living in close proximity. So when you marry a Thai woman and buy a house you are buying her family a house, or at least that is how it is perceived apart from the more naive misguided ex-pat community neighborhoods. And I sure as heck would not want to be the foolish white boy waving some insignificant legal papers trying to deny a Thai family from what they rightfully perceive as their land unless you want the local constabulary to make a determination of suicide upon your untimely demise.

Dont try to get around it , many farang have been offed to get the land back ! I dont want to read about you in T.V.

Can you imagine if they had the equivalent of Thai property laws in USA? Americans seem to have no problem with the country ( and related businesses) being purchased by foreigners. Maybe they could wipe out the national debt by selling the country to China!! (Just being scarcastic)

I am grappling with this isssue now, since I am living in Thailand and have a Thai wife. I have been told innaccurate information and outright lies, by numerous people here. My judgement so far is to rent and perhaps buy a condo, sometime in the future, that I can own. Love and marriage and change like the wind. I would try to retain my financial destiny under my control.

Can you imagine if they had the equivalent of Thai property laws in USA? Americans seem to have no problem with the country ( and related businesses) being purchased by foreigners. Maybe they could wipe out the national debt by selling the country to China!! (Just being scarcastic)

I am grappling with this isssue now, since I am living in Thailand and have a Thai wife. I have been told innaccurate information and outright lies, by numerous people here. My judgement so far is to rent and perhaps buy a condo, sometime in the future, that I can own. Love and marriage and change like the wind. I would try to retain my financial destiny under my control.

You are probably one of many who have misunderstood this issue and it's amazing how doggedly, even desperately, some farang hang on to the belief that they can own land in LOS.

I don't know the reasons, other than cultural and historical, why Thailand prevents foreigners from owning land. However, it does make sense. Most Thais struggle to own or keep any capital asset. Their land, for those who own it, is the foundation of their security. It's more precious to them than their gold. If we were allowed to wander around their country buying up land as we might like to, the price of it would soon be out of the reach of local people. Some would make a short term gain by selling but lose their future financial security. The country would be owned by foreigners and LOS would lose its character and independence. The poor would be poorer still.

If you want to avoid the prospect of paying for property in LOS but not owning it then, yes, rent a home or buy a condo. But what about your wife? What does she want? If you pop your clogs before her, where would she live? Would she prefer a home that she owns close to her family? And an income or pension? You may assume that either she will die first or you will divorce but there are other assumptions that you could work to. If we lived our lives by our assumptions for the future, there are many things that we might get wrong!

You are probably one of many who have misunderstood this issue and it's amazing how doggedly, even desperately, some farang hang on to the belief that they can own land in LOS.

I don't know the reasons, other than cultural and historical, why Thailand prevents foreigners from owning land. However, it does make sense. Most Thais struggle to own or keep any capital asset. Their land, for those who own it, is the foundation of their security. It's more precious to them than their gold. If we were allowed to wander around their country buying up land as we might like to, the price of it would soon be out of the reach of local people. Some would make a short term gain by selling but lose their future financial security. The country would be owned by foreigners and LOS would lose its character and independence. The poor would be poorer still.

If you want to avoid the prospect of paying for property in LOS but not owning it then, yes, rent a home or buy a condo. But what about your wife? What does she want? If you pop your clogs before her, where would she live? Would she prefer a home that she owns close to her family? And an income or pension? You may assume that either she will die first or you will divorce but there are other assumptions that you could work to. If we lived our lives by our assumptions for the future, there are many things that we might get wrong!

To a certain extent, I agree with the Thai laws on this. It is good to protect the integrity of land ownership in the country. However, I hardly think that foreigners who are legally married to Thais are in such large numbers to become a threat to the land ownership and financial stability of the country. There could be safeguards written in law that could provide that the land would revert back to a Thai (or the government, if no heirs) on the death of a foreigner. It also could be provided that the foreigner can't re-sell the land to another foreigner.

As for what my wife wants, I am sure she would be more that happy if I signed over all my assets to her tomorrow, so she could then move on to someone who she really wants to be with. I will be reassured when she takes as much interest in my financial health as she thinks I should take in hers.

i thank you for all your relpys but there is some replys that dont understand my question. I love my girlfreind very much and we are like best freinds and i also get on very well with her family. the question was that if my girfreind god forebid should die before me how can i hold on to my house. the other part of the question is that in order to marry i have been told that i have to sign a document giving up my protection to the house as morgage holder. you see when anything should happen to me my girfriend will have no worrys in the world as i have left a will in the uk that will give her half my works pension every month untill she dies and also the property and the car. the problem is what will happen to me if my girfreind should go before me. i think the only good answer is that i should change the property into a company name in the 1 year time limit that you said. i could also get my girlfreind to make out a will and leave the property to my neice who is half thai and half western and is 17 years old so she can have propery in her name.  I know you may think this is selfish on my part but who is going to look after my future no one and there is a lot of people who have lost everthing. my girfreinds family are good people but it would very foolish to have your future in someone elses hands. it is only commonsense to take this action so i will go and talk with a thai lawyer to see how i can get round this problem. the rights i was taking about was that as a morgage holder no one can sell the propery without the other. i do hope this letter has helped others who might have the same problem. thank you all.

Please accept my apologies if I offended you by saying that if you value that which is yours rather than giving it to your wife.

Should my wife die before me, unlikely as I am 21 years older, I feel fairly confident that I will be able to stay where we live and look after our son as her family and I are good friends and trust each other. It may be that the name on the title deeds will change but the land and properties will all go to our son anyway. I am starting discussions with a lawyer in the next few weeks to clarify exactly what should happen.

Also should I die first my wife will be entitled to 50% of my 2 pensions and 60% of my UK state pension until she dies. We have joint access to all monies, both mine and hers and have done so for a number of years. If she wished to take everything and tell me to leave she could have done so at any time.

I love my wife and trust her with all I have and that trust has never been shaken yet.

What we have is ours to share and it doesn't matter whose name is on the piece of paper.

Edited by billd766

The country would be owned by foreigners.

I doubt very much that would happen Morden. Look at how tiny the UK is, in comparison to Thailand. Yet we still let anybody buy property and land here. Yes, it's pricey but still not owned by foreigners. Look at all of the bare land in LOS, i think the amount of foreigners who would actually want to buy land, would have a pretty minimal effect. I think, we (UK) as a country, should not allow any foreigner to buy in the UK, if their own country's policy doesn't allow foreigners to do it. Just a thought.

I doubt very much that would happen Morden. Look at how tiny the UK is, in comparison to Thailand. Yet we still let anybody buy property and land here. Yes, it's pricey but still not owned by foreigners. Look at all of the bare land in LOS, i think the amount of foreigners who would actually want to buy land, would have a pretty minimal effect. I think, we (UK) as a country, should not allow any foreigner to buy in the UK, if their own country's policy doesn't allow foreigners to do it. Just a thought.

Simplification to make the point on my part. :o I was trying to say that if a country in which property is cheap allows comparatively wealthy foreigners to buy land, then the local people will not be able to afford that which is, for many, the only means of survival.

I don't necessarily disagree with your point about the law in the UK but I think the potential for harm in a wealthy and expensive country is probably much less than it is in LOS. However, the law is the law and if we want to live in LOS we have to accept it as it is. There's a delicate economic balance that, for all it's faults, keeps it the country that we love.

Simplification to make the point on my part. :D I was trying to say that if a country in which property is cheap allows comparatively wealthy foreigners to buy land, then the local people will not be able to afford that which is, for many, the only means of survival.

I don't necessarily disagree with your point about the law in the UK but I think the potential for harm in a wealthy and expensive country is probably much less than it is in LOS. However, the law is the law and if we want to live in LOS we have to accept it as it is. There's a delicate economic balance that, for all it's faults, keeps it the country that we love.

Agreed :o And to some extent, that happens already in the UK. Rich people buying second houses in the country, for weekend retreats. The locals then get priced out of being able to afford a house in the village where they work.

i thank you for all your relpys but there is some replys that dont understand my question. I love my girlfreind very much and we are like best freinds and i also get on very well with her family. the question was that if my girfreind god forebid should die before me how can i hold on to my house. the other part of the question is that in order to marry i have been told that i have to sign a document giving up my protection to the house as morgage holder. you see when anything should happen to me my girfriend will have no worrys in the world as i have left a will in the uk that will give her half my works pension every month untill she dies and also the property and the car. the problem is what will happen to me if my girfreind should go before me. i think the only good answer is that i should change the property into a company name in the 1 year time limit that you said. i could also get my girlfreind to make out a will and leave the property to my neice who is half thai and half western and is 17 years old so she can have propery in her name.  I know you may think this is selfish on my part but who is going to look after my future no one and there is a lot of people who have lost everthing. my girfreinds family are good people but it would very foolish to have your future in someone elses hands. it is only commonsense to take this action so i will go and talk with a thai lawyer to see how i can get round this problem. the rights i was taking about was that as a morgage holder no one can sell the propery without the other. i do hope this letter has helped others who might have the same problem. thank you all.

Please accept my apologies if I offended you by saying that if you value that which is yours rather than giving it to your wife.

Should my wife die before me, unlikely as I am 21 years older, I feel fairly confident that I will be able to stay where we live and look after our son as her family and I are good friends and trust each other. It may be that the name on the title deeds will change but the land and properties will all go to our son anyway. I am starting discussions with a lawyer in the next few weeks to clarify exactly what should happen.

Also should I die first my wife will be entitled to 50% of my 2 pensions and 60% of my UK state pension until she dies. We have joint access to all monies, both mine and hers and have done so for a number of years. If she wished to take everything and tell me to leave she could have done so at any time.

I love my wife and trust her with all I have and that trust has never been shaken yet.

What we have is ours to share and it doesn't matter whose name is on the piece of paper.

Thank you for your kind apologie no offence taken I am also very happy to see that you have a very loving family that you want to take care of. The problem for us is that so far after nearly 3 years trying we dont have any family and it looks like its not going to happen. I would not want a child just for the sake of holding on to my property but it would help me if we could have one. I dont know if my neice can own property in thailand or not but she is half thai as her mother is thai. I think that there should be some protection in the land laws for farang husbands to be able to keep there house until they die and then its passed on to the wifes family if she is dead. The idea of being shoved out of your home when your old is unthinkable but thats what we are talking about. Trust & love just dont come into it when you are trying to make sure you have a roof over your head when god forbid your loving wife goes before you. When you drive your car on the road do you not take out insurance incase of a accident so why cant you find a way to insure you have a roof over your head in your later years. we all hope in the future that the thai goverment will change the land laws and put in some protection for us but until then i will try and find a way myself even if it means someone poping me off for doing it ha ha its something that made my girlfreind laugh at as her family are not like that they are good people with land of there own. I thank you all for the help & info on this subject its good to see so many people have good & loving familys out there good luck to you all.