Which Currency Is Currently Best For Travellers Ch

Sterling. They're as acceptable in Thailand as US$ cheques and you won't have to pay the £-$ exchange rate when you buy them.

Edited by endure

But...You're better off with a Nationwide Flexaccount. You can use the ATM card to make completely free withdrawals all over Thailand at a very good exchange rate.

But...You're better off with a Nationwide Flexaccount. You can use the ATM card to make completely free withdrawals all over Thailand at a very good exchange rate.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I have no time now to set up a flexaccount as I am flying tomorrow!?!?!

Or is it possible to do this in Thailand?

B

Edited by booma

Better rate on higher billed traveler cheques - 50quid/100quid amounts.

I belive that the exchange rate for traveller cheques is the same irrespective of the amount of the cheque. But I agree that the effective rate will be better on cheques with higher amounts as you pay a fixed tax/fee per cheque.

Sophon

Better rate on higher billed traveler cheques - 50quid/100quid amounts.

I belive that the exchange rate for traveller cheques is the same irrespective of the amount of the cheque. But I agree that the effective rate will be better on cheques with higher amounts as you pay a fixed tax/fee per cheque.

Sophon

Sophon - unfortunately it doesnt seem to be the case - 20quid cheques seem to get a lower rate. Not sure why, but seems to be the case at quite a few currency change businesses as well as hotels. :o

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I have no time now to set up a flexaccount as I am flying tomorrow!?!?!

Or is it possible to do this in Thailand?

No you have to go through all the rigmarole of proving your identity to open one. It's worth considering when you get back though. Apart from the good ATM rates they're a pretty neat bank. Good internet banking, decent rates of interest etc.

Lloyds TSB IN uk

You can get £500,£200,£100 cheques.

order over the phone pick up at your local TSB bank.

Commission free :o  and are available to none customers

What I did in the end was to order Amex tc's through fx4you.com, I paid £1015 for £1000 worth of cheques. I picked them up from the airport and payed for them there, NO transaction was required on-line.

I'm a member of Llyods and upon my last visit to LoS was offered no help whatsoever when I lost company of my plastic!

B