Purchasing A Pool

dave111223

I plan to build a pool starting in the beginning 2012 and am starting to get my thoughts together.

I'd like to get a pool 10meters X 5meters with vinyl liner construction.

I went into Desjoyaux in Bangkok and was quoted 1Million THB for 10x5m including:

- Basic filter (looks like piece of crap kind of overhanging the pool)

- Extended corner area with 3 water jets

- Cleaning equipment

Then for upgrades:

- Update filter to one that sits flush with the wall and ground (so you can't really see the filter): +100,000THB

- Change blue liner color to green: +50,000THB

The pool comes with two 9cm halogen light but these are apparently built into the filter box...weird?

Total: 1,150,000THB

Does this sound like a reasonable price? If not where can one get a better price? I plan to get a quote for J.D Pools also, are there any other companies that i should check out?

They gave me the "This is promotion price you must give me money NOW! in order to get this"...I'm assuming that is just a standard sales pitch and in fact they have these kind of "Soon expiring Promotions" all the time?

I'm a bit lost with the color of the pool. I don't want a blue pool if i can avoid it, i feel like it's kind of dull and "normal". I'd like to get a light green color pool but i'm having a hard time finding any websites that offer a decent gallery showing "This color liner produces a pool looking like this".

Can anyone suggest a website?

For all i know it could take a yellow liner to produce a green water; I couldn't believe how blue the water looked in a white lined pool.

Finally I'd like to have the pool maintained/serviced as i'm not interested in doing this myself. Desjoyaux quoted 5,000THB per month for full pool service including all chemicals and a guy coming 3 times a week to clean/adjust the pool.

3 times a week seemed a bit excessive on such a small pool, but they said it was 3 times a week take it or leave it.

Is this is reasonable price for pool cleaning service? Again if it's not can you suggest another company/price?

P.S. Here's any example of the type of color i'm going for (only maybe a bit light if possible):

11.jpg

Edited by dave111223

A proper fully tiled concrete in-ground pool this size with professional with a professional pump and filter in a pump house would cost on average about Baht 800,000 (and very often less with no loss of quality), and you can choose the color of tiles you want and the kind of surrounding deck.

Depending on the constructor's pricing policy, you may even get a fully automatic salt-water chlorinator and computerised pool management system included.

Baht 5,000 a month/3 visits a week or maintenance is excessive and would not be needed at at all with an automatic chlorination system. All that wold need to be done is the daily skimming the leaves and dead insetects of the water surface, vacuuming the pool floor weekly (easy), and backwashing which depending on bather load and debris may need to be done only once a month. Many other pool firms will offer these services for as low as Baht 1,000 a month, perhaps a little more i manual chlorination is done, and the chlorine and ph testing manually. Professionals will have electronic equipment for measuring the water quality, that are far more accurate than any thing that is sold in a little blue box.

Get quotes for your pool from as many constructors as you can, wherever they are located, you may not necessarily get the best quality and service from a firm near you.

A proper fully tiled concrete in-ground pool this size with professional with a professional pump and filter in a pump house would cost on average about Baht 800,000 (and very often less with no loss of quality), and you can choose the color of tiles you want and the kind of surrounding deck.

Can you please let me know which company this price is based on (are they located in Bangkok?)?

When talking with J.D Pools awhile ago they said their Concrete/Tile pools were about 50% more expensive that Vinyl liner pools? Also they said that with Vinyl liner you can just replace the liner every 15 years or so, whereas with Tiled pool if you get cracks in the concrete you have to do a major refurbishment?

Also i'd be interested to know the company offering the cheaper pool service that you mentioned.

Thanks.

I did not catch were you are at. Pricing of my pool 7 x 14 with tile and filters and all is less than you said in Chiang Mai

My pool in Pattaya slightly smaller was about 400,000 tile and filter and all.

Seems you need to check around more

I'm in Bangkok, any cheaper companies that you can recommend?

I did not catch were you are at. Pricing of my pool 7 x 14 with tile and filters and all is less than you said in Chiang Mai

My pool in Pattaya slightly smaller was about 400,000 tile and filter and all.

Seems you need to check around more

so far no indication of pools depth and surrounding for construction. essential for pricing

alos pool deck size and material needs to be specified.

but 10 x 5 at 1,2 meter (des Jouaux standard) in ground should not cost more than 800k with nice glazed tiles. Good pools do not crack, ever :)

JD pools build very cheap pools sold at high prices, making pvc liner needed

so far no indication of pools depth and surrounding for construction. essential for pricing

but 10 x 5 at 1,2 meter (des Jouaux standard) in ground should not cost more than 800k with nice glazed tiles. Good pools do not crack, ever :)

For the depth; the quote was for 1.5Meters deep (all over).

Price did not include any surrounding deck (just the basic border/rim around the pool).

I take it you would not recommend J.D Pools; is there another company which is better for a good price?

You said Des Joyaux also does grazed tile pools, but they only offered us Vinyl liner pools?

Edited by dave111223

For the depth; the quote was for 1.5Meters deep (all over).

Price did not include any surrounding deck (just the basic border/rim around the pool).

I take it you would not recommend J.D Pools; is there another company which is better for a good price?

You said Des Joyaux also does grazed tile pools, but they only offered us Vinyl liner pools?

Des Joyaux has a unique form work in plastic which saves concrete and steel rebars and remains a part of the pool. Only pvc liner can work. They also have a unique filtration with in and outlet in same position, and spareparts/pumps etc must later be purchased from them. All this should make their pools inexpensive, and it does in countries with high labour costs. Here in TH labourcost is low and a high quality tiled concrete pool can be made at lower cost, a lower quality at much lower cost. No doubt what I choose today. 7-8 years ago I purchased Des Joyaux and JD Pools. They r still ok, but not on par with the tiled pools I have had build later.

I can not recomend any company in BKK. Get quotes with proper construction drawings, steel and concrete spec, and I would assume there is sufficient know how on this board to assist you to a good result.

In general a tiled pool should be of dual 12mm rebar layers at 10x 10 cm, aquastop in horisontal- vertical joint, 280 waterpoof (ganzum in Thai) concrete or better. No drips from second floor :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

I am a pool builder. I base and build pools in Hua HIn and around the country. I just finish one pol of 11m X 5 m, 1.8 m depth to 1.5 m with a zacuzzi, automatic Salted system with a control room, solid concreted and blus tiles for 900,000. Warranty 1 years for Machine and 5 years for Structues. Green or blue tiles doen not changes the price. If interrest contact me at [email protected] or Mobile 086-3767712.

Thanks