Pizza Stone For My Oven

richsilver

Yes.

I went to Boontavorn on Rachada Rd.

They sell granite and other stone materials.

The sales guy recommended a black square of stone, 2 cm thick.

Pre-heat it for an hour before cooking the pizza.

Makes a nice crispy bottom crust.

If you feel like making it a day out , you can go for a drive ,the area between Pak Chong and Si Kiew(Khio) has lots of places selling marble ,granite as slabs and carvings. Very interesting. This area is on the road to Korat, but the selling is done long before you get to Korat. Also just past the Muak Lek turn-off , on the highway, are many, many nurseries,as you go up the main hill. Makes a good day drive, outing

Edited by afarang

I have been baking bread and pizzas on stone in my oven for some time now. The regular polished floor stones are excellent, sold at the stone vendor shops that will be along most suburban roads. Get the exact dimensions, thickness, width and depth. The shop will cut to size no problem, keep the leftovers to odd use around house. The thickness will be determined by your oven rack spacing, so be careful here; 1.5 cm thick stone is fairly standard and you don't want nor need much thicker. You want to be able to slide the stone in same as the metal racks you have now. Do not get sandstone, limestone or any stone with pronounced linear structure because those are lines of potential weakness. Best is a fine-grained black "granite" (actually basalt or diorite); the large grained granites and granodiorites should be OK. Price for the stone should be around 200-260 baht, the cutting should be for free. I have two for my oven because sometimes make two pizzas. All works fine except the oven simply cannot be heated to proper high temperature for good pizza (800F, about 425C; my max is 250C). Check out Joe Varasano for great advice on every aspect of pizza: http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

• Like 1

I have been baking bread and pizzas on stone in my oven for some time now. The regular polished floor stones are excellent, sold at the stone vendor shops that will be along most suburban roads. Get the exact dimensions, thickness, width and depth. The shop will cut to size no problem, keep the leftovers to odd use around house. The thickness will be determined by your oven rack spacing, so be careful here; 1.5 cm thick stone is fairly standard and you don't want nor need much thicker. You want to be able to slide the stone in same as the metal racks you have now. Do not get sandstone, limestone or any stone with pronounced linear structure because those are lines of potential weakness. Best is a fine-grained black "granite" (actually basalt or diorite); the large grained granites and granodiorites should be OK. Price for the stone should be around 200-260 baht, the cutting should be for free. I have two for my oven because sometimes make two pizzas. All works fine except the oven simply cannot be heated to proper high temperature for good pizza (800F, about 425C; my max is 250C). Check out Joe Varasano for great advice on every aspect of pizza: http://www.varasanos...PizzaRecipe.htm

Great site on pizza - thanks for posting it.

I seek same since a while. It shall be not any kind of stone but an temperature insulating stone as ceramic, or best as Italians use the chamotte brick, also called fire brick and chamotte cement on the basic of aluminiumoxyd Al2O3 about 22-38%. With this temperature insulating stone / bricks you get easy the temperature close 400° in oven. This is maybe the problem of SATEEV which don't reach higher temperatures in his oven then 250°C, I think polished floor stones aren't good temperature breaks.

One of the Pizzeria in my town use this but they don't want let me know where they buy but it mean they exist in Thailand ....!!! As soon I find I will poste here.

Some other tips you find here http://www.fornobravo.com/

Edited by challenger99

I saw them at True Value Hardware, located at N13° 50.979', E100° 30.887'. I do everything in Bangkok by GPS. It's the only way I can find anything. If you have no GPS and want a map, you can plug the coordinates into Goole Maps and you will get the location on a map.

At True Value, you can order ANYTHING in the U.S. True Value catalogue. If you go online to any True Value and get the SKU#, you can order it. I ordered a contractor's wheel barrow with pneumatic tires and a 200,000 BTU weed burner. There are only two difficulties: (1) the item will cost about 220% of the U.S. price; and (2) you need to find somebody with a brain that can speak English at the Thai True Value (I contact the manager at the Pattaya store if I want to place a special order -- Khun

Panadda, 081-782-4624, her English is good and you can communicate with her by e-mail).

Also, True Value almost always has a sale going on imported items -- for memberrs only. The membership is free, but you cannot get a membership and quailfy for the sale price on the same day. To get the sale prices, you have to have been a member for 30 days. I once saved 30% on a Weber Genesis EP 320 gas grill (cost in the US, $700, Thai price 42,000 baht, savings 12,600 baht). I f'ing love this grill and use it practically every day. There is NOTHING in Thailand to match it, and I have looked at them all.

Happy shopping!

You just need to find a tile shop or any place that deals in terracotta and buy your self an unglazed terracotta tile. I can't give you a specific place but it shouldn't be hard to find.

I tried that at a number of places and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Yes.

I went to Boontavorn on Rachada Rd.

They sell granite and other stone materials.

The sales guy recommended a black square of stone, 2 cm thick.

Pre-heat it for an hour before cooking the pizza.

Makes a nice crispy bottom crust.

It is necessary to be very careful. Most tiles are glazed using lead which will get into your food! I tried granite and it oozes a strange tar when heated to 300 C.

Like others are suggesting, I just use a paving stone, but if you're really wanting an actual pizza stone then they sell them in TruValue.

I went to the True Value Thai website and there is no pizza stone. The US store has only has one for the Weber.

I saw them at True Value Hardware, located at N13° 50.979', E100° 30.887'. I do everything in Bangkok by GPS. It's the only way I can find anything. If you have no GPS and want a map, you can plug the coordinates into Goole Maps and you will get the location on a map.

At True Value, you can order ANYTHING in the U.S. True Value catalogue. If you go online to any True Value and get the SKU#, you can order it. I ordered a contractor's wheel barrow with pneumatic tires and a 200,000 BTU weed burner. There are only two difficulties: (1) the item will cost about 220% of the U.S. price; and (2) you need to find somebody with a brain that can speak English at the Thai True Value (I contact the manager at the Pattaya store if I want to place a special order -- Khun

Panadda, 081-782-4624, her English is good and you can communicate with her by e-mail).

Also, True Value almost always has a sale going on imported items -- for memberrs only. The membership is free, but you cannot get a membership and quailfy for the sale price on the same day. To get the sale prices, you have to have been a member for 30 days. I once saved 30% on a Weber Genesis EP 320 gas grill (cost in the US, $700, Thai price 42,000 baht, savings 12,600 baht). I f'ing love this grill and use it practically every day. There is NOTHING in Thailand to match it, and I have looked at them all.

Happy shopping!

I went to the True Value Thai website and there is no pizza stone. The US store has only has one for the Weber.

Happy shopping!

As I wrote, this is the right and only stone for Pizza Oven I used same before in Europe

BINGO, I have min. 1 company

http://www.tssrefractory.com/index.htm

there are more, I will test this above this week

http://search.yellow...bricks :jap: